Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Vegetarian (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/vegetarian/)
-   -   Newbie Here (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/vegetarian/733789-newbie-here.html)

TimeToGetThin 09-03-2011 10:36 AM

Newbie Here

I'm Vanessa, and have been a vegetarian for 23 years now. After a carb filled pregnancy I managed to gain 50 more lbs on top of the 60 I already needed to lose. :( Much to my horror, after giving birth in June 2011, I stepped on the scale and I was 234 lbs still!! I lost 18 lbs between June and September 1, and since adopting the low carb lifestyle again, I have lost an additional 6! I know it is mostly water weight now as it is the first week of induction, but I am so happy that I am not starving all the time anymore!

The local moms group started a Biggest Loser challenge September 1 - December 1, and I am determined to win!!

Looking forward to journeying with you all.

Nigel 09-03-2011 01:36 PM

:welcome:

TaDa! 09-04-2011 04:53 AM

Welcome Vanessa! You can do it!!!!

Our start weights and goal weights are nearly identical, lol!! I lost the weight on Atkins as vegetarian .. have you read the new book? New Atkins For A New You? Good vegetarian guidelines in there!!!

Congratulations on that nice 6 lb drop!!! and on the birth of your baby!!!!

:love:

Pauline

TimeToGetThin 09-06-2011 07:22 PM

Wow Pauline you are such an inspiration!! :) Were/Are you hardcore atkins to the letter? I am not limiting my veggies right now and I am having nuts for snacks....so I am a bit of an Atkins slacker.

I havent read the new book but thats great that its more veggie friendly! Will have to pick it up

nzmegs 09-07-2011 02:38 AM

You should get yourself over to the New Atkins website. i have recently discovered it and it is very inspirational. there are many vegetarians there, but plenty of great information.

Atkins recommends that vegetarians avoid the induction phase anyway - so nuts are just fine as snacks. the new diet suggests we start on around 25g carbs. i have found that fairly easy to stick to.

I have also been tracking my foods very carefully using loseit.com - but ****** is good too. This will tell you the exact amount of carbs and really helps if, like me, you don't always know how many there are in an average serving.

Good luck. Keep coming back to let us know how you are getting on.

TaDa! 09-07-2011 03:58 AM

As Nzmegs says, the new Atkins book has slightly different guidelines for vegetarians!! I ate (and eat now) lots lots of vegetables ... brussel sprouts, eggplant, cabbage, salad materials and I also eat quite a bit of nuts (in foods I make -- not as handfuls because I personally have trouble with limiting that).

Definitely check out the new book! One thing I will mention that I did was to go up the carb ladder of Atkins and I found I can eat as high as 50 net carbs with no change in appetite suppression or weightloss . weight maintenance. I can actually eat as high as 100 net carbs and still do ok, but my hunger comes back and I have to rely on will power when I get anywhere over 75 net carbs.

I urge anyone who does not eat meats to go up the carb ladder and add in good things like yogurts, more nuts and seeds, etc. This is very doable as a vegetarian -- you just have to change the "how".

:love:

Pauline

saltnpepper 09-20-2011 09:23 AM

Wow, I really appreciate all your knowledge (TaDa! & nzmegs) !!

Good luck TimeToGetThin. :high5:

Anna