Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Vegetarian
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-20-2011, 11:23 AM   #1
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Crazy Cat
Stats: That's me on the left! 194.5/190/150. 54 & 5'5"
WOE: Lower carb-cutting back on wheat & refined sugar
Start Date: Restarting LC 7/17/13
Question about veggie carbs

I'm not quite ready to go vegetarian, but I'm definitely cutting back on meat (just a little chicken here & there). Right now I'd be happy with a couple big salads a day (lettuce, tomato, cucumber, red peppers) with some HB egg or cheese. But all those veggies really rack up the carb count! Since I'm not eating as much fat I'm having to eat more to fight off hunger. When I was doing traditional Atkins to lose weight I kept my net carb count around 20. Can I give my self a little more leeway with the veggies, or do I need to still stay around 20 if I want to lose? I guess I'm asking if the veggie carbs "count" as much as other carbs.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-20-2011, 03:26 PM   #2
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Nigel
I don't really count my veggie carbs unless it's a starchy vegetable like beans or corn.

We are all different. I still eat plenty of butter and mayo and sour cream because I think you need the fat. Just my opinion though.
Nigel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 04:01 AM   #3
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: TaDa!
Stats: 236.5 /132.5/ 128-133 @5'3"
WOE: Atkins Maintenance (Vegetarian + Fish)
Start Date: 6/03 & Goal! 5/06
I absolutely would "give more leeway with vegetables" - but keep them to the earler Atkins stage list of veg.

I really like New Atkins For A New You - It starts lacto-ovo vegetarians out on 25 net carbs rather than 20 and gives options for 40 net carbs. I really believe that the lower rung vegetables **are** different than other carbs, as you ask. I would slowly up your vegetable carbs, maybe in increments of 5 net carbs and see if you can get to 40 and still do well .. I bet you can!

And I totally agree with Nigel .. do not start going lower fat! It will make you feel hungry!!! Use that salad dressing, hb eggs and cheese to full advantage .. you can add some nice pine nuts in, olives, avocado etc etc etc. Keep the fat up .. my 2 cents!

Pauline

p.s. You will also want to be wary of a lot of advice etc being given on this board - as people do different plans and there seem to be much of the traditional vegetarian followers - which is higher carb with grains and things - even some white grains which is something I would never touch on Atkins as an everyday food. I think people coming over from meat-eating Atkins could be confused that doing lc vegetarian means not doing lc at all, lol! and well, it can be done..

Stats: 47 Years Old & 5'3" tall
Weight: 236.5 (43 bmi) / 132.5 / 128-133 (size 4/6 .. 23 bmi)

*Weekly Weigh-In 7/10/12

My Journal
Year One Weightloss and Chart
My Weightloss Story

Last edited by TaDa!; 08-21-2011 at 04:07 AM..
TaDa! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 10:36 AM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

The veggies I'm eating now:
lettuce
tomatoes
cucumbers
red & orange peppers
cauliflower
broccoli
green beans
mushrooms

Once in a great while some shredded carrot or cabbage (like once a month).
Crazy Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 10:43 AM   #5

Gallery: metqa
Stats: 147/136/125; 5'1"
WOE: PSMF/hcg Transitioning to HFLC
Start Date: joined LCF 2003: HCG/PSMF 07/2014
there are plenty of good fats that are not meat based. having more fats would help with hunger. olive oil, avocados, nuts and seed oils like sesame. coconut oil is excellent in general.

I'm curious, but not judging, but why are you cutting back on meat? are you also cutting back on dairy , cause you can get protein and fat from dairy foods like cottage cheese that's not really high in carbs.

Your veggie list looks really yummy but what are you gonna get your protein from besides chicken. Don't starve yourself by not getting enough protein. That's the most important nutrient whether you re vegetarian or not.
"You have to understand zat ven a vampire forgoes . . .the b-vord, zere is a process zat ve call transference? Zey force Zemselves to desire somesing else? . . .But your friend chose . . . coffee. And now he has none." "You can find him some coffee, or . . .you can keep a vooden stake and a big knife ready. You vould be doink him a favor, believe me." Monstrous Regiment by Terry Pratchett
IBKKF 898
metqa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 11:21 AM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

The good thing about LC-I've lost 35lbs.
The bad things-I don't really like the food (I could go a week without any red meat, bacon, or cheese and not miss it) and my cholesterol & triglycerides went through the roof. And my fasting blood glucose is up to 115.

I have an appointment with my doctor tomorrow to see if we can figure out what's going on with my labs, since people on LC usually have the opposite results. Until then I'm cutting back on my cholesterol. My doctor is LC friendly but it's going to be hard to rationalize eating 3 eggs a day or fatty cuts of meat with the lousy labs I just got back. I'll have to start tracking my protein better to make sure I'm getting enough.
Old 08-21-2011, 11:24 AM   #7
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Maybe incorporate more veggies into your diet.

Like spinach, cabbage, other greens. The green vegetables have the most vitamins in them, so I've read.

The vegetables you listed, I personally would not even count them.

But it's up to you. The vegetable carbs are the good carbs.

That's about all I know and live by. I eat huge salads at times, with lettuce, tomato, cucumber, radishes, sometimes baby spinach and other veggies, depending on what's in the fridge. The salads have never hindered my weight loss. I usually add some kind of cheese or cottage cheese to them.

I eat egg beaters and boca burger a lot also. Once in a while, I eat bacon or pepperoni, but it's rare, just cuz I haven't been able to give it up completely.

I eat beans once a week too and sometimes I have wild rice, but I'm on maintenance, so I can get away with more carbs. I've done this for so long, I pretty much know how much I can eat and stay the same wieght.

When I feel tired, it's because I need to eat some fat. Sometimes I make salad dressing from avocado and mayonnaise, stuff like that to up the fat a little.

I hope this helps somehow.
Old 08-21-2011, 11:34 AM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

Thanks for all the input. For now I will probably keep chicken & fish in my diet, just to make sure I get enough protein. I'm glad I can keep eating my salads, they're my favorite food when it's so hot. I always forget about avocados, I need to pick some up the next time I'm at the store.
Old 08-21-2011, 12:54 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Cat View Post
The good thing about LC-I've lost 35lbs.
The bad things-I don't really like the food (I could go a week without any red meat, bacon, or cheese and not miss it) and my cholesterol & triglycerides went through the roof. And my fasting blood glucose is up to 115.

I have an appointment with my doctor tomorrow to see if we can figure out what's going on with my labs, since people on LC usually have the opposite results. Until then I'm cutting back on my cholesterol. My doctor is LC friendly but it's going to be hard to rationalize eating 3 eggs a day or fatty cuts of meat with the lousy labs I just got back. I'll have to start tracking my protein better to make sure I'm getting enough.
Congrats on the losses. Did you lose it recently. Reason I ask is that Dr. Atkins mentioned in one of his books at least, that bloodwork could be skewed while losing a lot of weight because of all the fat being liberated and moving about the body.

The tryglicerides is a mystery though because they should come DOWN if you are limiting your carbohydrates. Carbs increase triglycerides and LDL.

But also realize that your body can make it's own cholesterol so if you are producing a lot more then that's a warning sign that something else damaging is going on. Changing your diet typically doesn't significantly impact the total amount of cholesterol cause the bodies cells might ramp up production if there is a reason it needs more.

I Hope you gets some tests done and get a good plan. and get them to explain your cholesterol ratios, not just the total. Total means nothing out of context of the ratios.

I guess it's good you don't miss those foods, if you feel good eating lighter foods like chicken and fish, then those are fine sources of protein. I hope the hunger goes away. Get thee some coconut oil also. You know that saturated fats, like coconut oil, aren't bad for you, right? a little goes a long way and helps with hunger also.
Old 08-21-2011, 01:31 PM   #10
Major LCF Poster!

I lost the weight between January and late May of this year, the 1st 30lbs probably between Jan & April. Had the blood work done at the end of July. Out of the 7 months before the blood tests I had 2 weeks (about 2 months apart) where I fell off the LC wagon. I still was probably under 100 carbs a day during those weeks. Not sure if that messed me up or not.

My mother had metabolic syndrome, looks like I have it also. But I'm determined to not let it do to me what it did to her. She was on insulin by her late 40's for her type 2 diabetes, and had her first (major) heart attack by her mid 50's. My dad also has had high cholesterol since his 50's. For years he treated his with niacin and oat bran, the doctor was amazed at how well those 2 things controlled his cholesterol.

I know I need to start walking again, first the horrible heat slowed me down, then I sprained my ankle a couple of months ago. I'm just now to the point where it doesn't swell up when I'm on it for more than a few minutes. So I plan on walking at the mall until the heat lets up.

I have a great doctor, he treats me like a partner in my health care, and doesn't let stuff slide. So hopefully by tomorrow afternoon we'll have a plan to start taking care of this.

Sorry if I'm rambling, I'm sort of nervous about that doctor's appointment tomorrow.
Old 08-21-2011, 02:49 PM   #11

Wow, that's really impressive!
Sorry to hear about your Mom and Dad's health issues, but it's good to be aware of family related connections in illnesses, right?

it sounds like something other than your low carb diet is the cause of your symptoms.
I'd be less worried about the cholesterol and more about the tryglicerides and blood sugar since they makes no sense if you've been keeping your carbs low.

Gosh, the heat! I know what you mean about wanting to exercise but the heat just draining you. Do you have a public pool nearby? I just found my towns pool and it's only a $1 to go all day.

I'm looking forward to hearing what the doctor has to say. Ask a lot of questions, that's what they are their for ( I've only met one doctor ever who admitted that he didn't have the answer to my question BUT would find out for me!)

Check out a site about cholesterol, cholesterol-and-health.com, or google

"Cholesterol You can't live without it"

it's the first hit on google. It's a great site and will give you some good things to ask the doctor about.

Another good site is ,... search for "elevated-triglycerides-are-driven-by-carbohydrate-consumption" it's a blog by Dr. Eades.

I figure if you know what is supposed to be happening and why, it will be easier to figure out why it's not happening.

Good Luck At you appointment tomorrow.
Old 08-21-2011, 02:54 PM   #12
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by metqa View Post

I guess it's good you don't miss those foods, if you feel good eating lighter foods like chicken and fish, then those are fine sources of protein. I hope the hunger goes away. Get thee some coconut oil also. You know that saturated fats, like coconut oil, aren't bad for you, right? a little goes a long way and helps with hunger also.
I know the fats are good for me, but just what do I do with the coconut oil? I was never sure!:blush:
Old 08-21-2011, 02:58 PM   #13

Oh, I'm sorry.
I personally replaced my cooking oils with coconut oil and that makes it simple. Any situation where I would use corn oil or soybean oil to cook, I just use coconut oil instead. That's the simplest way.

ETA: The virgin oil smells like coconuts and doesn't go with a lot of cooking so I get a refined oil that has no smell and it's neutral and good for any cooking that requires oil. Sautee, strifry, pan fry, etc. I like to put a little in the pan and fry tilapia with it with a bit of ranch powder sprinkled on top. My favorite oils are butter/ghee, coconut oil,olive oil, and sesame oil for asian cooking.

Last edited by metqa; 08-21-2011 at 03:01 PM..
Old 08-21-2011, 03:40 PM   #14
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I use the kind from walmart, LouAnn or something like that.

I have bought the more expensive brands of coconut oil, but I can't see noticable results so I go with the local stuff.

I use it like metqa does, in everything I saute or fry in a skillet.

I tried putting a spoonful in hot tea, but that just wasn't my cup of tea, if ya know what I mean.