Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Vegetarian (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/vegetarian/)
-   -   Introducing myself (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/vegetarian/731680-introducing-myself.html)

nzmegs 08-16-2011 04:31 AM

Introducing myself

Hi everyone. I have been a vegetarian since the beginning of the year and had hoped it would lead to some weight loss. here I am eight months later still the same weight. Didn't put any on at least!

Looking closely at my diet I realised it was very carb heavy and that I ate too much sugar. As I had previously lost 20 pounds on Atkins and knowing all the arguments against carbs - I knew that I to go low carb again. I just didn't think it was possible as a vegetarian and being veggie wasn't something I was willing to give up.

Turns out it is possible:clap:

So for the last week I have diligently cut almost all sugars from my diet and all refined carbs. I still have my porridge, peanut butter and milk for breakfast and a couple of squares of dark chocolate in the evening.

Other meals include tofu or quorn and stir fried vegetables, eggs done every way you can imagine, nuts and seeds as snacks, cheeses and some berries (oh, and the chocolate!)

I don't weigh myself as I have had experiences in the past of getting a little obsessional about the numbers. But I can say that I am already feeling smaller and lighter. My guess is that I need to lose about 2 stone. I am currently a size 16 (UK) and would like to be a size 12ish.

So I would love to keep a bit of a diary on here for the next couple of weeks so I can have a critique of how I am going and get lots of lovely support. It is thin on the ground from family and friends who think my diet is too restrictive and too high in fat...:rolleyes:

Having two kids and a husband who can literally eat anything he likes and remain the same weight and size it is a challenge for me to stick to any diet or way of eating. Having stuck to being vegetarian was a major step forward for me - so hopefully I can use that positivity to do this as well.

I am a writer - so researching is in my blood - so I have been doing loads of reading but any more books and research which supports this woe is ery much appreciated.

Thanks guys!

I also do an hour of pilates every day and walk quite a bit.

Nigel 08-16-2011 07:56 AM

:welcome:

ChaseMama 08-17-2011 11:44 AM

Hi there! I completely understand where you are coming from. All these people say "the weight will just fall off" if you go vegetarian or vegan. That is so not the case. You still have to eat right. Potato chips are vegan, but I am pretty sure you can't lose weight eating those.

That's great that you do pilates daily!

nzmegs 08-18-2011 03:17 AM

I received a copy of Rose Elliotts low carb vegetarian diet book yesterday. So far it seems pretty good. To be honest I only ordered it because of the recipes as i felt a little bit like I was eating the same thing over and over.

She advises 20 carbs for the first two weeks. Eek. there is no way I am eating that few. More like 50 carbs a day at least.

I did realise though that when I think about food I am capable of counting calories and fat grams with no problems - but carbs are harder to count. I don't have years of experience behind me to just eyeball something and know how many carbs - like I can with calories.

I need to find a way of finding out the amount of carbs which is user friendly. Having to weigh everything to get the 100g portion works Ok with the carb counters I have. But what i want to know is how many carbs per portion. So - per piece of fruit, per head of broccoli or per tablespoon of peanut butter etc.

Does anyone know of any websites which offer a good list which is set out like this?

nemily 08-18-2011 01:44 PM

:welcome:

hi

I just thought I would say, I have never counted carbs and follow the Rose Elliot book. I followed pretty much the first two weeks, then just added more veg and the odd apple every now and then.

Every now and then I entered my foods into 'my fitness pal' to keep a check on cals and carbs, my carbs were between 60 and 80 with cals being between 1400 and 1600 so I was happy with this and losing. I like the thought of the diet being unrestrictive with numbers.

good luck :)

nzmegs 08-31-2011 06:58 AM

Absolutely Nemily. I really hate being obsessed with numbers. I have spent a couple of weeks on the "diet" now and gotten to grips with it. I am not really counting carbs but am checking labels carefully. I am working it out based on the labels on my products.

if it says less than 3 carbs per serving then I go for it and stick the the recommended serving. If it says less than 1 carb per serving - I eat it unlimited.

I have dropped in size over the last couple of weeks, but feel like the last few days has been fairly even in terms of loss. I think I have been overeating nuts and under eating high proteins foods like eggs and cheese.

I also made some of the Rose Elliot low carb bread, which tasted great, but I think i ate too much of that too!

TimeToGetThin 09-03-2011 10:28 AM

Hi there

Welcome :) Looking forward to journeying with you!