Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Vegetarian (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/vegetarian/)
-   -   The best V-8+ Concoction (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/vegetarian/731296-best-v-8-concoction.html)

Nigel 08-12-2011 08:13 AM

The best V-8+ Concoction

Homemade V-8+

2 cans diced tomatoes
4 lg roma tomatoes
1 carrot
3 ribs celery
1/2 fresh jalepeno
1 bell pepper
1/3 lg cucumber
10 leaves spinach
1/6 bunch cilantro
2 limes
salt and pepper to taste
water to make the right thickness (can be added after pulverizing)

Pulverize and drink up...I like mine over ice. Yummo!!

This makes a lot, enough for a few servings.

nikki 10-24-2011 02:08 PM

Oh MY! I am HUUUUGE V8 fan. I think Imma hafta make this. Now I have a craving.

Nigel 10-25-2011 11:08 AM

The fresh jalapeno makes it...a little kick, but if you don't like any heat, you can leave it out. I make it with lousiana hot sauce when I'm out of the peppers. Using fresh tomatoes is the best option, but they are usually too pricey to juice up around here.

Psst--you will crave it after you have a glass of it and it's so good for you. I have to make up some today too.

cookwithme65 10-28-2011 08:19 AM

? about V-8 concoction

Nigel this looks wonderful. Thanks for sharing. I just love the original v8 juice so I am looking forward to giving this a try. Do you know know the carb count for this?

Nigel 10-28-2011 09:23 AM

Sorry, I have no idea about the carb count, but you can half or quarter or even reduce the recipe more. I just make a lot because me and my wife both drink it all day. I don't have a carb counter book or I would figure it out for you.

Nigel 11-06-2011 02:38 PM

Today I made this and substituted half a can of tomatoes with half a can of tomatoes and green chilies. It gave it a good kick.

I added some romaine the other day and it was very creamy, same great taste too.

Nigel 07-22-2012 12:13 PM

I have been making single serving ones with my new Nutribullet.

It's such a neat little machine. It also came with a blade for grinding nuts, etc. I literally pulverized some corn flakes==they looked like yellow flour.

New v8+ recipe

4 tomatoes or 1/2 small can
2 T. beet juice
1/4 lemon
1/8 cucmber
1/8 carrot
1/8 bell pepper
2 sprigs cilantro
handful baby spinach
1/2 rib celery
salt, pepper, hot sauce to taste
1/2 cup crushed ice

It comes out icy cold and delicious!!

Another drink I make is

1 c. almond milk
1/2 scoop protein powder
8 strawberries
1/2 c. blueberries
1 pkt. sweetner
1/2 c. crushed ice

Blend. Enjoy!!

MargD 07-27-2012 04:42 PM

Both of these sound so good. For some reason, I associate V8 with cold weather, so it doesn't appeal to me right now. I know I will be looking up your recipe in the fall, though.

Nigel 08-02-2012 04:11 PM

I'm back on my hiomemade v8+ addiction.

I used lemon instead of lime and hot sauce instead of jalepeno.

I gave it just the right kick this time. I just downed a cold glass of it.

I need to drink this 3-4 times per day so I can get in my veggies.

Madge17 08-04-2012 01:32 PM

Nigel - your V8 recipe sounds really good...makes me wish I had a garden again. Do you make this in a blender?

Your almond milk drink is similar to what I had this morning :yummy: , only I used soy milk, a full scope of PP and half the berries ( I would have loved to add more berries but...carbs, carbs, carbs). :lol:

Do you find that the liquids fill you up and satisfy equally to whole foods? They don't for me, even the Protein powder drinks I make. I'm hungry in a couple hours. I seem to do better with a large salad or hard-boiled eggs. But you're maintaining your weight right? Not trying to loose?

Nigel 08-05-2012 10:09 AM

I have a blender called the NutriBullet...it's similar to the majic bullet but 700 watts and a bigger container. I was using a Healthmaster blender but It literally fell apart the other day. I just got a Ninja 1200 from Walmart but I haven't tried it out. It has 1200 watts of power, 2 containers, and 5 attachments so I thought it was a pretty good deal for $159.

I have an old Vitamix 3600 but it's kind of a pain to drag out so I don't use it much. I inherited it, so I oiled it and cleaned it up and tested it, but there is no place to keep it on the kitchen counter so I have to keep it in the pantry. The Nutribullet is small, so it doesn't take up much room and so easy to clean and even though it only makes a glass at a time, it works for me.

I got the Ninja 1200 cuz it has the smaller container also and the dough hook so you can mix up bread or cookies, etc. I thought that would save me the hassle of the food processor or the huge mix master thing, which are also things I have to drag out of the pantry. I'll admit to being lazy when I have to round up appliances to make something.

I find that drinking the V-8+ actually makes me hungry. Wierd, huh? Yeah, it makes me want to eat, so when I can't find my appetite, I definitely drink some and then I get to wanting to eat something solid.

Smoothies with protein powder do fill me up quite a bit.

What is good and you might like it and it does fill you up is to make some pudding with chia. I have only made it one time, and I just used ground up chia and some protein powder, almond milk, and a pack of s/f chocolate pudding. I mixed it up real good, but alas, it was grainy after it set.

My thinking is that I should have made the chia gel. I will try that next time. I made the box into 4 servings so that kept the carbs lower. Anyway, I had one serving and I got filled right up and I was surprised.

I do love my salads but I always add protein to them and they don't keep me full for too long. I'm the type that has to eat about every 3 hours to keep my blood sugar stabilized, so when I don't eat, it's kind of bad for me.

I'm just maintiaining my wieght, so it is easier, but when I was losing, I just made sure I ate protein every 3 hours, even if it was a protein shake or one of those pre-made atkins bars.

If you have time to read up on the chia, it is very beneficial to us. I have been lax and not using it, but off and on, I do use it. I need to use it daily.

When I used to make rice, I put a tablespoon in the rice and it made the rice very moist. It works great in muffins or baked goods just to add moisture. It also works well in meatloaf or faux meatloaf.

When my dog was feeling poorly and tired, I started giving her half a teaspoon twice per day in her dog food. In just a week, she started feeling better. The vet could never find anything wrong with her...I think she was just run down, she had lost a lot of weight too, and it's very hot here and she loves to go outside, so I think she was getting overheated. So I kept giving it to her and now I just put it in their homemade dog treats, since she recovered. I fed her canned Alpo and brown rice cereal or alpo and brown rice and chia 2x daily.

She went from no appetitite and barely eating, to coming into the kitchen and camping out until I fixed her food. Now she acts like she's a puppy again and she's about 10 years old.

Of course maybe if I ate alpo and chia, maybe I would become a puppy again too. hahhaha!!

Nigel 08-05-2012 10:11 AM

p.s. Didn't mean to write a novel there. lol

My thought is that if you are hungry in 2 hours, then you need to eat some protein...whenever you are hungry, you should definitely eat.

If we don't eat, our bodies want to store the fat and we can't have that...so give the body some fuel and it will run better....okay.?

It has been my experience that eating more of the right foods will make you lose weight instead of eating less/starving when you are hungry. I know it goes against most of what we have heard all our lives, but I'm living proof that it works. I only started losing weight when I started eating more and more often.

Madge17 08-06-2012 10:39 AM

Nigel, I appreciate your lenghty post! Lots of good information in it - thank you. :)

I have a regular blender and a food processor. I have never heard of any of the "bullets", but they sound interesting. I have very limited counter space too, so I know what you mean about dragging heavy stuff out of storage for a single use.

Chia seeds, huh? (I keep picturing the Chia pet).LOL I've never heard of or seen chia "gel". I'm a little afraid of making any puddings - I think it could be another trigger food. I struggle enough with my beloved peanut butter, nuts, cheese and whipped cream. I really need to stay away from dessert-like foods - for now at least. If I had the kind of control that some of you seem to have I wouldn't need to be here in the first place! :laugh: I still have about 50 lbs. to loose, and it's taken me months to loose the first 10, so....sigh. One of the reasons I haven't made any of those little cheesecake cupcakes I printed the recipes out for yet either - I know I'd just eat them all right up if I liked them... I'm weak. :dunno: DH purchased the "really good" chocolate chip cookies for himself the other day and I "almost" caved in and ate some. At least he isn't buying candybars and ice cream for me anymore - only for himself. I think I'm frustrated and a little angry that for those few weeks (while I was dehydrated) I hit nirvana in not being hungry and now I'm back to wanting to eat everything again. It's probably more mental than physical, but I don't know. It definitely is frustrating! :annoyed:

ps. I'm glad your dog is feeling better! The weather is so hard on them too, esp. as they age (I miss mine so much) and a good diet is important for all of us. :)

p.s.s. - I try to keep hard-boiled eggs, PB, nuts and cheese for in-between meal protein snacks and eat every few hours too, but lately I seem to be insatiable. I'm just eating too much of everything.

Nigel 08-06-2012 11:35 AM

I don't know if I might have told you about this before, but I was taking "gymnema sylvestre" to help curb my sugar cravings and on days when I used to feel ravenous...of course in reality, I just wasn't eating enough or eating often enough. I ordered this stuff from Puritan's Pride vitamins, but they might have it in a local store, I never looked.

On the bottle it says, "Supports Carbohydrate Metabolism".

I learned about this reading somewhere on one of the forums on here for people who couldn't curb their cravings for sweets.

I totally understand your frustration though. I wasn't always able to control my portion sizes or what I ate and I used to "pig out" quite often, consuming an entire big bag of Doritos or an entire large pizza or something worse. It was only when I started doing Atkins (1972 style) that I learned how to control my portions and what I ate.

I literally never cheated for months and I lost 46 lbs...but as soon as I started eating stuff I shouldn't again, I would gain...so I finally got myself figured out but it took a very long time. The same things don't work for everyone, but I am hoping you will find something that works for you.

Don't think for a minute that I'm not constantly tempted...I sure am, so it's a constant battle. And I know it's super tough when one's spouse eats things in front of us that we can't or shouldn't have. In my case, I really can't have sugar. Once in a while I do cave in and drink a real coke, but I try to avoid all the other real sugar products.

In my case, I figured out I could get away with certain things if I only eat them in small amounts and not very often, but I know that won't work for most people. A lot of times, the cravings can get to be too much if we eat something carb laden. Eating starchy/sugary carbs only serves to make us want more carbs.

I don't know if you like s/f jello, but if you do, I add s/f whipped cream on top and some slivered almonds, just enough to make it feel like a sundae. At times, I buy the little 4pk of no sugar added fruit cups and add one to a box of jello--that way I get a little fruit, but not a lot of carbs. Of course you could add a few berries instead. It's just an idea.

Sometimes when I want something sweet, I drink a s/f soda of some type. Usually sunkist orange s/f or big red zero or even pepsi max. My doc says sodas are not a good thing, even if they are s/f, so I don't drink them more than 1 or 2 per week. I also like s/f cherry kool-aid which you can get in a box of singles to make one 16oz glass at a time and crystal light and wyler's s/f hawaiian punch, grape, any brand that is s/f tastes pretty good to me. They all basically taste like kool-aid to me. Sometimes the crystal light makes me crave more crystal light.

You can take a can/bottle of soda (12-16oz) and put it in a gallon zip lock bag and freeze it and then put it in the blender with some strawberries (or not) and have a slushie. I esp. like to freeze lemonade and I add about 8 strawberries and sometimes a pack of sweetner and blend. It feels refreshing on hot summer days and it feels like I'm getting something good to snack on. It's just psychological to me, but it works.

If you have time, you could read up on chia. On the thread where I put MargD, I meant it for you and there is a recipe there that you might like. There is also a chocolate shake recipe made from chia, but I haven't tried it yet. I can find that recipe if you are interested, just let me know.

Nigel 08-06-2012 11:41 AM

I forgot to say that if you freeze a soda, be sure and lay the bag flat on the freezer shelf. I put mine on a small cookie sheet. This way it freezes in a thinner, flat sheet and is easy to break up for the blender.

This is my latest toy...I haven't played with it yet, but since the other one crapped out on me...ya know how it is.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41aPHsRgyTL.jpg

Madge17 08-06-2012 12:36 PM

I will look into the Chia for sure the next time I am in Whole Foods. I purchased a large package of Flax meal (to add to my morning cereal prior to starting the LC diet) and still haven't opened it. I don't know what to use it with now. LOL I've read some mix it in yoghurt, but somehow that doesn't sound appealing to me.
Quote:

A lot of times, the cravings can get to be too much if we eat something carb laden. Eating starchy/sugary carbs only serves to make us want more carbs.
Nigel, this may be part of the problem too. I've been eating more carbs, particularly veggies, some fruits, and nuts. I purchased a nut mix called "antioxidant mix" at WF, which also has some dried cranberries, pistachios and choc chips mixed in. My "plan" was to mix this with the individual 8 oz. bags of almonds, walnuts, peanuts and sesame seeds. It never happened. I knocked that 8 ox. bag out in 2 sittings. I realize I still can't be trusted with stuff like that no matter how good my intentions are. :sad:

I have been making a lg. bowl of SF jello and adding both 1/2 & 1/2 and whipped cream to my servings. I enjoy that and also Sherril's mock root beer floats made with icy semi-frozen bottles of SF root beer and 1/2 & 1/2 with whipped cream on top (in fact, I just finished one). Unfortunately I'm having 1-2 per day, which is significant since I've never been a big soda drinker. I'm also having rum & diet coke several times a week, which probably isn't good for carb cravings either.

Freezing SF lemonade sounds like a great idea. I'll have to pick up some and try it, thanks! I'm not much for kool-aid or crystal lite though.

I'll go peek at MargD's post too - thanks. LOL Have fun with your new toy and let us know how well it works. It looks like it can do a lot.

Thanks again. :)

Nigel 08-06-2012 01:04 PM

I would bet that the antioxidant mix had sugar sweetened cranberries in it. It's too bad I haven't ever seen s/f sweetened cranberries. Dried cranberries are very good for us, but I wouldn't know how to go about making them myself.

I have two bags of flax too that I found at the 99cent store and surprisingly, its a brand that WF sells too. I haven't even opened them.

On the recipe help and suggestions forum, there are several types of nukker bread that use flax and even some that use chia. I copied all the recipes and never made one yet, but I am hopeful. I do more cooking/baking in the fall and winter since it gets so hot here in the summer and my kitchen stays hot, just like the a/c isn't even on most days.

You could basically make your own anti-oxidant mix, sans the cranberries unless you can find s/f ones. You could put in s/f choc chips and limit the amount and add in a bunch of nuts and coconut and then measure out serving size baggies.

Once I try something with flax, I will post it.

A long time ago, I used it in meatloaf, but now I don't eat meat, so that doesn't count.

kind 09-04-2012 02:47 PM

I love my nutri bullet. Had almost 3 weeks.
It doesnt leak. You must tighten it alot or it will.
Im going to try v8 juice next.
I use chia seeds too also ground flax seed. I just made my first chia jell.

Nigel 09-04-2012 04:04 PM

My Nutribullet started leaking less than a month after I got it. I guess I got a lemon. I hope you got a good one.

If you come up with some good concoctions, please post your recipes. I'm always looking for new ideas. :)

jem51 10-31-2012 08:41 AM

I add V-8 for the liquid needed in gazpacho....also hot sauce. Really is yummy.

I love the crunch of chia seeds as a topping for yogurt or anything. No grinding needed.