Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Vegetarian
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-07-2011, 06:16 AM   #1
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: TaDa!
Stats: 236.5 /132.5/ 128-133 @5'3"
WOE: Atkins Maintenance (Vegetarian + Fish)
Start Date: 6/03 & Goal! 5/06
Lowcarb Vegetarian Vacationing

I thought I would start a thread as I do this every year and am in the midst of my planning -- and I know this is something we all have to deal with at some point! it can be hard enough to travel as a vegetarian at times, never mind the lowcarb part, lol!!! Please feel free to add your suggestions that are Lacto-ovo vegetarian, or vegan !

So a month after starting Atkins in 2003 with 100+ pounds to lose, I went off to Ireland for two weeks and ended up losing a couple of pounds there .. Since then, I have maintained my weight despite trips to Costa Rica, Disney, Mexico, and other places in the US. Besides trying to plan what kind of restaurants and cuisines might be available (very critical!!! In Costa Rica they served almost zero lowcarb vegetables! lol!), I try to plan and pack foods for my snacks and breakfasts.

For my trip to Ireland in two weeks I am bringing:

*A few packages of Joseph's lc tortillas
*A few bars of 85% Lindt Chocolate
*Lowcarb protein bars
* Single serving packages of peanut butter
*Tiny bottle of liquid splenda

I tend to go a little higher in carbs on a holiday and, where I wouldn't eat chocolate with sugar at home, it will be a good option on a trip. I will always have a pita in my purse to help when I need to deconstruct cheese sandwiches .. I think I will be having quite a few of those, lol!

Other things that I have brought along with me in the past that were lifesavers in certain countries (but I know exactly where to get in Ireland)

* single serving packages of nuts (Emerald nuts, plain or cocoa flavored!)
* shelf-stable cheeses! (Laughing Cow cheese and others you can find on the internet)
*Splenda minis (tiny tablets for your pocket or purse)

Please tell us about your vacation or vacations and how you have planned for lowcarb vegetarian eating! Pointers to any products in specific countries might be helpful too! I know, for example, a lot of places I have traveled carry UK or other European products ...

Pauline

Stats: 47 Years Old & 5'3" tall
Weight: 236.5 (43 bmi) / 132.5 / 128-133 (size 4/6 .. 23 bmi)

*Weekly Weigh-In 7/10/12

My Journal
Year One Weightloss and Chart
My Weightloss Story
TaDa! is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 08-12-2011, 01:27 AM   #2
Rua
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Rua
Stats: 130lbs / 126lbs / 110lbs
WOE: Little or no carbs veggie diet
Start Date: June 2011
Oh hi hun, havnt been on in awhile, have you come to ireland yet??

I was away last week, just in the country side were my other halfs family are from. I had all good intentions of keeping up my diet. I brought two tubs of plain soya yoghurt, cheese strings, veggie sausages and rashers etc etc.
But the min we got there my other half decided he was off the diet for the holiday!! i was on my own, i lasted a day or two and i caved

took me the whole week to get back on it again. the bad week made me gain all that i had lost (so fast!!) but im back on diet a week and ive lost it again

probly not the healthiest thing to do but im so glad ive got back on track!
Rua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 03:28 AM   #3

Hi Rua! Glad to hear you have gotten right back to lowcarb! Sounds like you are doing great! I will be in Ireland next week. My internet access will be a bit iffy though, I think - we are not hooked up at the home place unless one of the neighbors kindly lets us on to theirs (which could happen .. hahaaaa I'd much prefer that form of welcome than being plyed with brandy, as usual, lol!).
Old 08-12-2011, 04:25 AM   #4
Rua
Senior LCF Member

awww hope you have a ball! might even pass you on the street if youre in dublin! dont forget govindas!!
Old 08-12-2011, 04:43 AM   #5

Rua, as it turns out we will not be spending time in Dublin!! but I will keep the advice for next visit, lol! We will be in Cavan at the Fleadh next week .. and then the following week we are going up to Rossnowlagh in Donegal for surfing lessons (lol lol we're gonna freeeeze!) and to the North to Giants Causeway), then back to Cavan - with some side trips in between visiting family, etc ..
Old 08-12-2011, 04:53 AM   #6
Rua
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaDa! View Post
Rua, as it turns out we will not be spending time in Dublin!! but I will keep the advice for next visit, lol! We will be in Cavan at the Fleadh next week .. and then the following week we are going up to Rossnowlagh in Donegal for surfing lessons (lol lol we're gonna freeeeze!) and to the North to Giants Causeway), then back to Cavan - with some side trips in between visiting family, etc ..
oh that sounds lovely!!

I've been to donegal once, drove through a massive park, glenveagh i think, it was so beautiful, waterfalls all over the place! be warned itll probly rain! always seems to rain up there! lol

went to giants causeway too, its fab, if you follow the walk way up the cliff behind all the funny shaped rocks you can look out at it all and there is yellow flowers up there that spell like coconut, love them so much!

heres me and the little one being giants...

Old 08-12-2011, 05:00 AM   #7

I love that picture!! The last time I was there was 1995 I looked at the pix and I was a big big girl back then, lol! It will be fun to take skinny pix and be there with the kids too! It was also August that first time and massively dark and rainy. We will also go to Dunluce Castle but will probably skip Carrick-a-rede fisherman's bridge .. I did that in 1995 and nearly had a heart attack, lol!!