Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Vegetarian (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/vegetarian/)
-   -   Low GL Diet-Patrick Holford (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/vegetarian/727817-low-gl-diet-patrick-holford.html)

lj3 07-11-2011 04:04 AM

Low GL Diet-Patrick Holford

Hi guys, has anyone tried this diet?

Thinking to move over to this from the Rose Elliot veg low carb, as im not too happy with it, no weight loss and I'm now starting to get bored too.

I read this book couple of years ago and treid the recipies, re-read it this weekend and it makes loads of sense to me, especially with my health concerns too.

Some of you who have answered my previouse posts, know the concerns I have, so any feedback would be appreciated. I will of course be eating still as a veggie!

Lisa. :)

nemily 07-11-2011 03:38 PM

:hiya:Hi Lisa

sorry ... i have never heard of it, but didnt want to ignore you.

I'm sorry things arent working out for you. my loss is slow but i have lost another pound since last posting so im happy to be shifting in the right direction.

thats 9 lb in 5 weeks for me. i am happy with that. i notice that i seem to drop a pound after a bit of 'irregular eating' ie still low carb but something different, a larger meal, more snacks etc.

In the main, my diet consists of unlimited veg, unlimited cheese and nuts, eggs and anything i can make out of that. i was eating fruit but find it a little too sweet these days (cant believe i just said that)

ie i had almond and cheese bread this weekend, rhubard crumble, feta cheese. i made the almond bread into a pizza base and that was lovely. My plan

it doesnt sound like it can hurt to try the alternative plan though if things arent working out for you. keep us posted :hiya:

Nigel 07-11-2011 07:44 PM

I went and read a little bit about the reviews of this book on amazon and it sounds pretty good. It's worth a try in my opinion.

I just kind of do my own thing, limiting the carbs and mostly vegetarian dishes. I eat lots of veggies and nuts and my protein comes from legumes or boca burger or tvp products. I incorporate a little fruit from time to time. I mostly avoid starches, except in very small quantities.

I use lc wraps, tortillas, and sometimes I attempt to make LC bread, but none of that has been great. Mostly I use lettuce for a wrap if I want a boca hamburger or a cheese sandwich or something like that.

I also eat eggs about 3-4 times per week for breakfast.

I do wish you well on your journey and please keep us posted on how you like the new diet.

Rua 07-12-2011 07:38 AM

I'm the same, i dont know this diet. what is GL?

Where you watching your calories aswell as carbs on low carb diet? you could be eating low carb but just too much if you get me?

for my height and weight i can have 1200 calories a day, if i eat less i should lose weight. I found out here how much i could have, if you stick below it you will lose weight :)

well done nemily! you've been quiet lately!

TaDa! 07-12-2011 10:40 AM

GL - I think stands for Glycemic load - which is based on the Glycemic index and the idea of reasonable food quantities for intake. I have read Rob Thompsons books and his original Glycemic Load diet. I think it sounded good for someone who wants longterm very slow but consistent weightloss. Mind you, I do not know the specific GL diet you mention - maybe it is very different (?).

In general, I would tend to subscribe to Rua's advice on food quantities .. I do not know that another diet will give better results where almost all the food is the same .. although if a slightly better variety in that one suits you, definitely change to the one that meets your personal tastes .. no one can succeed longterm on food they are not crazy about, kwim?!

:)

Pauline

nemily 07-12-2011 02:59 PM

oooh, just to add i followed a low GI diet a few years back and didnt lose weight at all. but then i found it very hard to stick to and probably wavered :blush:

Hi Rua, glad you missed me lol. been in insomnia land just lately (hate these times) so been trying to keep off the boards lol. 5 hrs sleep a night tops, not good on top of bein single mum mon to friday, working 30 hr week and fibro, and studying :cry:

Lisa (sorry for change of thread and cry for sympathy!) as the others have said, have you tried counting your calories for a few days to see if they are too low or high? both can impact weight loss.

just a thought but if you are bored with plan then maybe a change would be good? xx

lj3 07-13-2011 02:06 AM

Thanks for your replies.

TaDa, yes, the diet is like the one by Rob Thompson, I beleive.

Its promo is that it balances blood suger/homones and deals with insuline resistance. As my overall diet as always been good, my regualrity of eating etc, as mentioned before as always been an issues. That plus M.E I hoping that this diet may help me get a better hormonal balance too, through diet. I have found it very difficult to lose weight and just cannot budge from 11stone. Maybe this is the answer, but whatever diet I follow it as to be long-term changes that are realistic, as I do get bored very easily and then that causes me to slip back into bad eating habits. Maybe thats all of us!

Ive gotten to the point that all the reading I do around healthy eating, becomes confusing. He says this, she says that.....surely its really so simple as just eating balanced food groups, less of it and regular bursts of exercise.

Im not giving up, and at times when I feel like it, all your support here REALLY helps.

Thanks x :up:

Rua 07-13-2011 03:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lj3 (Post 14822168)
Thanks for your replies.

TaDa, yes, the diet is like the one by Rob Thompson, I beleive.

Its promo is that it balances blood suger/homones and deals with insuline resistance. As my overall diet as always been good, my regualrity of eating etc, as mentioned before as always been an issues. That plus M.E I hoping that this diet may help me get a better hormonal balance too, through diet. I have found it very difficult to lose weight and just cannot budge from 11stone. Maybe this is the answer, but whatever diet I follow it as to be long-term changes that are realistic, as I do get bored very easily and then that causes me to slip back into bad eating habits. Maybe thats all of us!

Ive gotten to the point that all the reading I do around healthy eating, becomes confusing. He says this, she says that.....surely its really so simple as just eating balanced food groups, less of it and regular bursts of exercise.

Im not giving up, and at times when I feel like it, all your support here REALLY helps.

Thanks x :up:

excellent, thats the sort of positive attitude that'll get you there! if it helps you could post up a food diary here, tell us what you are eating everyday so you have an incentive to eat well coz you'll have to tell us :D

Nemily!! my god! you poor thing! thats so much for one person to deal with. im a lone parent too and work 40hrs but thats it. cant imagine having to deal with fibro, insomnia and try squeeze in studying?!! hope you are ok hunny x

lj3 07-14-2011 03:20 AM

yes ladies, single parenthood....we do have our hands full and the plate spinning does get alittle hectic at times!!

I finished my Fine Art degree last year, have been studying my PGCE-teaching qualifications and this Sept will take on my MA part-time......while I look after my growing young men and make jewellery to sell....PHEW, built up a sweat just writing that!! :kicking:

Rua 07-14-2011 04:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lj3 (Post 14825146)
yes ladies, single parenthood....we do have our hands full and the plate spinning does get alittle hectic at times!!

I finished my Fine Art degree last year, have been studying my PGCE-teaching qualifications and this Sept will take on my MA part-time......while I look after my growing young men and make jewellery to sell....PHEW, built up a sweat just writing that!! :kicking:

yikes, thats a lot too!

i went to art college to but did a design degree :)

would love to see your jewellery if you have any pics? :)

nemily 07-14-2011 03:48 PM

wow you too, put me to shame :blush:

im not actually single, just monday to friday! get husband home about 11 pm friday til about 3 am monday haha!

looking after my 2 girls, working and studying too ... nothing so glamorous as art or design ... insurance !! how mundane is that? im doing the legal bit at the moment and could fall asleep thinking about it haha!

Rua 07-15-2011 02:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nemily (Post 14827205)
wow you too, put me to shame :blush:

im not actually single, just monday to friday! get husband home about 11 pm friday til about 3 am monday haha!

looking after my 2 girls, working and studying too ... nothing so glamorous as art or design ... insurance !! how mundane is that? im doing the legal bit at the moment and could fall asleep thinking about it haha!

ah i have my boyfriend, not her dad though. so ive some help. mon-fri on your own is the toughest!!

lj3 07-15-2011 03:37 AM

At last....10.13lbs today...yipee, yipee , a REAL break through finally budged away from 11.1lb :clap::rofl::hyst::laugh:

Rua 07-15-2011 04:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lj3 (Post 14828184)
At last....10.13lbs today...yipee, yipee , a REAL break through finally budged away from 11.1lb :clap::rofl::hyst::laugh:

:clap::clap::clap:

yeay!!!
well done!! keep up the good work! :D

evakilleen 07-19-2011 07:58 AM

hi lj3,
i have struggled with my weight for years, i had tried everything under the sun,
and then I did patrick holfords low gl diet!
I went from 193 lbs and a half to 123lbs!!
its the best thing i have ever done. i stuck to his diet i still do it now even though im
at the wait i want to be! i feel great.
i became a member at Nutrition and health advice for a healthy lifestyle | Patrick Holford did a free questionnaire and then joined.
i couldn't recommend it more!
best of luck with it - keep up the good work

nemily 07-19-2011 01:00 PM

hi Lisa,

WELL DONE!!!! hows it going on the new plan?

Evakilleen well done too !! what are the basic principles of the plan?

Rua 07-21-2011 02:52 AM

yes im intrigued now.

Eva, could you give us the low down on this diet? :)

lj3 07-29-2011 02:00 AM

Evakilleen thanks for your reply. I have been dipping in and out of it the past cpl of weeks, due to homelife demands, while sticking with some of the Rose Elliot receipes, that I had gotten so use to making. However, now my boys are all away for the summer, (so only me to to think about when cooking!) I can now follow the plan properly. Even with the few meals I have been introducing, I feel so much better. Im still reading his books and it REALLY makes so much sense, and I know with my erratic eating patters Im probably insurlin resistance. Low carbing is deffinatly the right way to eat for me, as I have had improvment in my M.E symptoms too. Ive also found out through doing the test (that Patrick suggests in his book) that I have a reaction to white flour/bread even the sourdough kind, so I'm now making sure I eliminate it totally from my diet. I'm not a bread lover so its quite easy, but its them tempting homemade cakes! (Need recipes for a healthy option, so that when the boys come back home, they can still indulge without compromising on taste!)
I'm starting the think I should put alarm reminders on my mobile, to prompt me into eating regualrly, as last week over a few days, I again found myself, while editing my photo's, not eating for 6/8 again, NOT good, as then my body feels out of sync and then it starts to crave carbs. I am getting better, but maybe the phone reminders to eat a small snack every cpl of hours will help break the lifelong pattern. :)

What do you get from the membership on Patricks website?

Will keep you all posted. Hope everyone is enjoying the summer and eating healthy. :)