Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Vegetarian
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-06-2011, 03:27 AM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: veggie
Newbie - rose elliot

Hey everyone im starting to low carb as of today... it has done me well in the past and I just gave up for sports reasons. I found the ache of running and training to a high intensity was too difficult without carbs.

Now im going to give it a try and see if i can gradually build up to a level that allows me to low carb and still compete.

I need to drop about 10lbs to improve my game/speed etc. Im not looking for a quick fix but something that I can see results and maintain them.

I have to admit im awful for measuring. Does anyone have a good measuring technique i.e. a handful of chopped mushrooms for an omelette rather than weighing. cheese and handful/cupful of salad, handful of berries etc.

I guess i would be mainly eating eggs, cheese,quorn and nuts.

Do you still drink coffee, diet soda, alcohol?
Im sort of hooked on coffee since I became a teacher 4 years ago (pesky kids :P ) and Im not much into fizzy drinks but i found the last i low carbed diet coke was like my new best friend. As for alcohol i would drink vodka and soda water or a glass of red wine.
veggie is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 07-06-2011, 04:01 AM   #2
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: TaDa!
Stats: 236.5 /132.5/ 128-133 @5'3"
WOE: Atkins Maintenance (Vegetarian + Fish)
Start Date: 6/03 & Goal! 5/06
Hiya veggie

I am a sometimes-runner on lowcarb - and did lowcarb when I was running 30 miles a week .. I did not do too much competing then (longest - a 10 mile trail race), but there are a lot of folks who swear by lowcarbing and basically getting your system to change from a carb/glycogen burning system to a fat burning one. Check out this thread: Running on low carb. Both Batlou and Chiody are people here on the boards who have some good information on training and race nutrition -- of course they are meateateers, but imho all of this extends to us as well ..

As far as portioning tips ... I am no help there, as I still measure many things even now on maintenance having lost all my excess weight. I never measured green vegetables too much though .. and that is one area you might ease up on that. I have also heard that a 4 oz portion of cheese is the size of a deck of cards .. there is info like that somewhere on the internet, lol!

I still drink coffee, diet soda, and limit myself to 2 alcoholic drinks a week .. either red wine or hard liquor .. no beer or mixed cocktails .. but that is me .. I know different things work for a lot of different people..

hth!!!

Pauline

Stats: 47 Years Old & 5'3" tall
Weight: 236.5 (43 bmi) / 132.5 / 128-133 (size 4/6 .. 23 bmi)

*Weekly Weigh-In 7/10/12

My Journal
Year One Weightloss and Chart
My Weightloss Story
TaDa! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 04:30 AM   #3

Ok I did a quick search and found these on web md. Hahahaa looks like the deck of cards was for meat:

2 tablespoons of peanut butter (or anything else solid) = 1 golf ball

1 cup non-leafy vegetables = 1 baseball

1 oz cheese = 4 dice

1 tsp olive oil = 1 poker chip

Old 07-06-2011, 10:17 AM   #4
Junior LCF Member

Thank you so much for all your help

Im also wondering would eating more fats make my cellulite worse? Im 24 and have the dreaded dimples on my legs... people tell me it isnt noticeable but it is to me. Any foody tips for this?
Old 07-06-2011, 12:40 PM   #5

awww honey .. my very thin 16 year old has cellulite -- and there is nothing dietary you can do for it ... it is a genetic thing and is photoshopped out of modeling photos and advertising, etc. If that is the reason you are dieting, you should know that is not something that will change cellulite.

There are various creams and lotions that contain caffeine and will shrink the appearance of cellulite ***temporarily** but that is the only thing I know that really "works". There are also various laser type treatments, etc .. not sure if any of them are really reputable, etc.

Pauline
Old 07-06-2011, 01:12 PM   #6
Rua
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Rua
Stats: 130lbs / 126lbs / 110lbs
WOE: Little or no carbs veggie diet
Start Date: June 2011
im 28 and in the last few months my cellulite has doubled, all down my legs! hate it!!

after research, seemingly drinking more water, 2-3l a day and excercise such as swimming and cycling are good for it.

i know, it sucks
Rua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 06:02 PM   #7
Junior LCF Member

Well getting rid of the stupid orange peel would be a plus but i need to lose 10 lbs. I've gained it over the past year and my performance has suffered. It's a personal thing as I am not overweight but losing the 10lbs still keeps me well above the minimum weight for my height. I've also got a very petite frame so I dont carry extra well.

Rua, Im also from Ireland
Old 07-07-2011, 01:46 AM   #8
Rua
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Rua
Stats: 130lbs / 126lbs / 110lbs
WOE: Little or no carbs veggie diet
Start Date: June 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by veggie View Post
Well getting rid of the stupid orange peel would be a plus but i need to lose 10 lbs. I've gained it over the past year and my performance has suffered. It's a personal thing as I am not overweight but losing the 10lbs still keeps me well above the minimum weight for my height. I've also got a very petite frame so I dont carry extra well.

Rua, Im also from Ireland
Ah cool! where ya from??

im the same, im not big but im not happy with my size, mainly tummy and thighs! everytime i tell someone im on a diet they practically give out to me!
Rua is offline   Reply With Quote