Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Vegetarian
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-04-2011, 03:21 AM   #1
lj3
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: lj3
totally disheartned

Sorry for moaning guys, but Im in need of some seroiuse advice. Ive been following Rose Elliots vegatarian low-carb diet, for almost 2 mnths and ive not lost any weight. I have any a couple of moments when Ive eaten something not on the menue, or had a couple of alcholic drinks, but to be honest, this shouldn't have made SO much differance, as I get right back on track. 95% of the time im following her meal suggestions.
Im always mobile and active, hill walking, swimming, and even back in the gym this morning upping the exercise levels. I just feel so heavy and fat

Any guidance would be of great value to me, even if its trying another low carb diet program, im at my wits end with this. Help please.
lj3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 07-04-2011, 08:58 AM   #2
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Nigel
Hi,
I'm not really familiar with Rose Elliott's diet. Have you had your thyroid checked? Sometimes a slow thyroid can cause people not to lose weight.

The only other thing is to make sure you are eating enough. Often times we eat less when we should be eating more. Eating less only causes our bodies to store fat instead of melting it away.
Nigel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 03:07 PM   #3
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: TaDa!
Stats: 236.5 /132.5/ 128-133 @5'3"
WOE: Atkins Maintenance (Vegetarian + Fish)
Start Date: 6/03 & Goal! 5/06
I would highly recommend first trying to go totally clean on Rose Elliott (For those not familiar .. It is a vegetarian version, really very close to Atkins -- very similar to what is recommended in the latest "New Atkins For A New You" book that is the first Atkins book to truly address vegetarianism.)

Once you have determined that a totally clean Rose Elliott does not work for you, my second suggestion is to log your calories. Most people who do not lose weight on a lowcarb regimen are simply eating too much food .. even the right food eaten in too large a quantity can hinder weightloss. At one point I found I was eating too much flax -- very very healthy, very very lowcarb, but unfortunately -- very very high calorie per portion ... same with heavy cream, cheese and nuts for example .. We can eat them, but in proper quantities!

The third thing to look into would be foods that you might be sensitive to - in particular, "lowcarb formulated" food like the Dreamfields pasta, lowcarb bars, lowcarb yogurts, lowcarb milks, etc etc) would be category no 1 to look at, then check cheeses and cheese quantities, also nuts .. I found I actaully cannot eat cream cheese, lc yogurt, or lc milk daily even though I can eat a lot of hard cheese and regular yogurt, and regular milk .. there is simply something I am sensitive to in those items .. no rhyme or reason, I just have to deal with it, lol!!

I hope you sort it! if I can help at all, let me know!

Pauline

Stats: 47 Years Old & 5'3" tall
Weight: 236.5 (43 bmi) / 132.5 / 128-133 (size 4/6 .. 23 bmi)

*Weekly Weigh-In 7/10/12

My Journal
Year One Weightloss and Chart
My Weightloss Story

Last edited by TaDa!; 07-04-2011 at 03:08 PM..
TaDa! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 07:38 PM   #4
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I guess we are all different. I am just the opposite for losing weight.

Is the name of the book entitled Rose Elliott's Vegetarian Diet or can you let me know what it is? It sounds interesting.
Old 07-05-2011, 04:16 AM   #5

I think that is the name Nigel. I am not at home to check - she has two books that are on lc vegetarian. It is the green one.
Old 07-05-2011, 07:01 AM   #6
Rua
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Rua
Stats: 130lbs / 126lbs / 110lbs
WOE: Little or no carbs veggie diet
Start Date: June 2011
this is it...

I just bought it, was hoping it was good.

So sorry OP that it hasnt been good for you, im only new to this and havnt lost anything just yet so i dont know if i will or not.
Rua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 09:52 AM   #7

Rua .. it's actually this one:

I believe that one is mainly cookbook? but I am not sure .. I only own the first one ..
Old 07-05-2011, 01:47 PM   #8
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: nemily
Stats: 157/147/133 - 5'3''
WOE: Vegetarian Low Carb - Rose Elliott
Start Date: 6th June 2011
I have the diet one (not the cookbook) and yes the phase one is like the Atkins only veg version really, with phase 2 being the addition of more carbs on a 5g incremental basis until you find your 'balance'

I have been following this but not nearly as regimented as I know I wouldn be able to stick to the 20g carb total.

I have no advice im afraid, Im too new to the plan! However, I am still with Nigel on the eating regularly. My diet mainly consists of veg, a few nuts, a bit of cheese, quorn.
nemily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 04:02 PM   #9
Rua
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Rua
Stats: 130lbs / 126lbs / 110lbs
WOE: Little or no carbs veggie diet
Start Date: June 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaDa! View Post
Rua .. it's actually this one:

I believe that one is mainly cookbook? but I am not sure .. I only own the first one ..
ah yes, i saw that one too but read in reviews that the cookbook had everything the other book had and more so i presumed it would be a step up
Rua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 05:27 PM   #10
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

thanks everyone
Old 07-06-2011, 04:12 AM   #11
lj3
Junior LCF Member

Thanks everyone for you suggestions. The diet is the (green cover) version. Ive always stuck with phase one, rigidley. Then I would add the extra 5 carbs at weekends, by having a glass of wine or couple slices of gulten/wheat free bread, maybe peice of choc. Then back to 20carbs rest of week. I wasn't eating too much, infact as I know my self and as suggested by others previously, I need to make sure Im eating enough so I continue to monitor food quantities, weigh everything and eat regualrly, as I do have a tendasy to go for long periods without food. This is something I've battled with all my life actually, which I thought may be a reason why its taking me along time to lose weight as my body/hormones not balanced to a regular pattern of eating-what do you think?

I eat, all green veg, salad, occasional tomatoes, cheeses, tofu, quorn, cream and soya milk. Plus peacan/walnuts nuts, and protein shake.
Example would be; protein shake for breakfast, goats cheese & peacan salad for lunch, nuts for snack and grilled tofu & mushroom cream sauce for evening dinner. occationally berries/rhubarb with cream for snack or soya milk hot choc drink for evening. And lots of water, herb teas, 2 coffee per day.
Evey week I weigh myself, I just go back and forth between 11 st and 11.2lbs. I'm exercising by country walking fast pace, swimming , gym. Some weeks I am active everyday others weeks (as I have a prolapsed disc and M.E) I may have to take 1 or 2 days rest.
I also have had my thyriod checked a couple of months ago, and results came back normal.

After the intial first couple weeks of feeling lighter and more energy, now Im feeling exactly the same all the time and even though I dont have constipation, I do feel like I have a lot of gas, which recently was picked up when I had a tummy scan for a check up.

So guys, Im really at a loss with what else I can do. If there is anything different that I've changed in foods I'm eating with this diet, I would say I most deffinatly eat a lot more cheese in a week than I use to, and double cream was something I would avoid before (because of misconception that it put on weight)
I have never taken added suger in anything, infact although I do have a sweet tooth, I can substitute the need for something sweet, by maybe having a peice of fruit which I havn't done while on this diet, unless it is berries as suggested. And I dont feel like I need more carbs than the 20g, but maybe that is where the problem lies, in that I'm not eating enough carbs? But Im afraid of adding more carbs incase I put even more weight on.

So, please feel free to advice, I really am at my wits end, which is starting to make me think, I may as well be eating what I like, when I like it as I've seen no differance in weight loss.

Thanks for reading
Old 07-06-2011, 04:51 AM   #12

Two thoughts ..

First, I would take the protein shake out of your menu for a couple days and see what happens. I think the more likely culprits are usually processed and it is usually good to check on those items (as possible stallers) first. I do eat processed food, but I have found what are my stallers already ..

Second, Are you certain you are not just within a weightloss bubble ... My first year, I lost 91 pounds on lowcarb, but there were whole weeks where it appeared my weight was going nowhere. I really had to step back and take a look at the whole and get used to myself, essentially - to see how my body handles weight. To see what I mean pretty clearly, I posted it here graphically: Weight Fluctuations

The third thing, I would still recommend logging in a full day - as you eat each food - Your menu looks very good to me (except for the gluten free bread - corn, potato, etc are all put into those products), but it is difficult to tell without precise quantities etc. Also, how tall are you? There are women for whom 11 stone is within their "normal bmi" .. and the closer you get to that range, the more difficult is to lose

Free sites where you can easily log food and also chart your weights:

The Dailyplate
DailyBurn
Nutridiary

I have used both ****** and thedailyplate quite a bit.

hth!
Old 07-06-2011, 05:22 AM   #13
lj3
Junior LCF Member

thanks for your advice. I am only 5' tall. I am 47yrs and have found that the weight increase, from around 10'.3lbs which I was steady at for many years after having 3 children too. It started a couple of years ago and increased 1 or 2 lbs back and forth (eg 10.4 then 10.6) for a year or so and then, I hit 11 stone and now I've been going back and forth, 11'-11.2lbs. And that is with what ever way I have tried to lose weight before. I dont daily walk as much as I use to,(work comitments) but make up for it, if I find Im driving alot, by the country walking and general daily activities or increase exercise. In all honesty though, because of my other health issues, this as not been as consistant, the last year, as it use to be, but I do what I can with the energy levels and lifestyle I lead. I do know, with or without worrying about weight loss, I need to get into a very regualr and consistant exercise program like I did before.

Maybe I just need to get into a VERY consistant way of eating and exercising, for a long period before I start moaning! I use to run in the past and even though the prolapse and M.E put paid to that for a while, my physio says I can now give it ago, but because of the M.E my recovery rate will be longer. If I could atleast budge down from 11stone and start seeing even a slow decrease in weight, it would motivate me. Its been over 2 years since Ive been anything less than 11' and its depressing me by making me beleive that weight loss is not in my future, yet I know esp when I read stories like yours, that it is acheivable.

Hugs x
Old 07-06-2011, 06:00 AM   #14

Then the bmi thing is not relevant! You should be able to lose down from 11 stone like many of us shorties We are the same age and I know I am hitting that peri-menopause time which apparently can make weightloss tougher for us too <blah>.

one other thing .. M.E. .. I googled it, is it what we in the states know as C.F.S.? (Chronic Fatigue Syndrome)? Are you on any meds at all? I put on pounds of water weight even with the most simple over-the-counter pain reliever, which will mask any weightloss at all - and on maintenance will look like a weight gain. If you do take something like that regularly, you may do well to measure your body at regular intervals (waist, hips, thigh, upper arm, neck, bust, under the bust/ribcage) .. and you may find inch loss which means actual fat loss even if it is masked by water weight on the scale.

lol! and yes, consistency of your "plan" for a bit will help allow you to sort out what is really happening in your body, in my opinion.

Last edited by TaDa!; 07-06-2011 at 06:01 AM..
Old 07-06-2011, 12:23 PM   #15
lj3
Junior LCF Member

thanks TaDa for your support. Yes, M.E is also know as C.F.S
I stopped a lot of meds for my health issues, for various reasons, and the daily pain meds I have to take are probably responsible for the bloated/gas, and I do make sure I 'go' to the loo frequently, as these meds can cause constipation.

Do you think maybe trying a different low carb diet plan may help?
Old 07-06-2011, 12:36 PM   #16

I think the Rose Elliott veg lowcarb plan is as good as any other .. I can also say that any type of constipation at all can mask weightloss in the same way .. good to have some flax in your diet (I believe in Europe it is known as linseed), have copious amounts of green veggies like broccoli, spinach, cabbage, lettuce. Another good thing for that is coconut oil which can be used in various ways - as a cooking oil or in treats etc .. I do have to mention though that the coconut oil and flaxseed should be monitored as when you add that in, you are adding in a lot of calories (again) .. but they **are** good to help in the digestion part ..

I would say if you are experiencing "stall" type thing and are on pain relief, you cannot really know, by the scale, what is happening .. what you are doing right now may be perfect for you. If your weight is not increasing (except small fluctuations), I'd try just toughing it out if you have found a palatable way to eat this way .. if it was me, I think that's what I'd try doing..
Old 07-06-2011, 12:47 PM   #17
lj3
Junior LCF Member

Thanks again for your tips. I am seriously going to be consistant with how often I eat and set regular exercise days/times, and not consentate on what the scales say. I'll stick with low carbing and RELAX about it all, as I know that stress can stall weight loss too.

Upwards and onwards!
Old 07-06-2011, 01:48 PM   #18
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Some things that help me with constipation are sunflower kernels and dill pickles or jalepeno stuffed green olives. Sometimes I eat a couple of dried prunes (not LC, but they work).

A good remedy is named funnily as brown cow.
You take a little bit of prune juice and a little bit of orange juice and the amount advised on the bottle of Milk of Magnesia and heat it all up til warm. It seriously works in half an hour or less.