Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Vegetarian (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/vegetarian/)
-   -   protein powder (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/vegetarian/726626-protein-powder.html)

nowpresence 06-30-2011 05:44 PM

protein powder

Can anyone recommend a veggie protein powder to make drinks with? And where to buy them please?
Thank you.
Joli

TaDa! 07-05-2011 04:25 AM

If you click the Netritioon link at the top of the page, and then search "vegan" you come up with three protein powders .. more carbs than the non-vegan ones, but still ok in my book (like 7 net carbs for the Biochem) ..

i think most of them are made from rice protein..

hth!

TaDa! 07-05-2011 04:30 AM

ooh I just saw the sun warrior brand only has 5 net carbs .. that would be the one I would try ..!

nowpresence 07-05-2011 08:36 AM

Thank you TaDa! The price of this one puts me off, but I think it's no carb?
Garden Of Life RAW Protein
I had ordered a pea protein that has about 1 carb but I read that pea protein tastes nasty... we'll see... but this is what I ordered:
NOW Pea Protein
Thank you again :-D

Kathy 07-06-2011 08:27 AM

I've used the Garden of Life RAW Protein and the Sun Warrior Protein RAW Vegan, and liked both of them.

In addition to the NOW Pea Protein and Biochem 100% Vegan Protein Powder, you may also want to try NutraFusion Nutritionals PlantFusion Protein which has a trial pack so you can try all three flavors.

Rua 07-06-2011 09:24 AM

Do we need protein powder? just wondering, never thought of taking it

nowpresence 07-06-2011 09:32 AM

protein powder

I am a vegan except for happy chicken eggs :)
So, I may not be getting enough protein. I need about 60 grams a day and should have some at EACH meal.
This is what I copied from another site:
"Our protein needs depend on our age, size, and activity level. The standard method used by nutritionists to estimate our minimum daily protein requirement is to multiply the body weight in kilograms by .8, or weight in pounds by .37. This is the number of grams of protein that should be the daily minimum. According to this method, a person weighing 150 lbs. should eat 55 grams of protein per day, a 200-pound person should get 74 grams, and a 250-pound person should eat 92 grams."
Also, sometimes, in a rush, making a protein drink is just easier to make than anything else... it used to be sandwiches!
Wishing you a great day,
Joli

TaDa! 07-06-2011 09:45 AM

I don't think we need it as far as general health - especially if we are doing lowcarb. As far as lowcarb, we do want high protein and fat values generally. I think people worry more about protein specific values when thinking about weightlifting and muscle building .. to lowcarb, as long as you are eating low carbs and high fats, you are likely getting enough protein for general health imho ... but you will find a lot of opinions on nutrient ratios on the main board here.

I did a presentation on vegetarianism and protein needs last year for a group of meateaters (weightloss group) based on the new federal standards (United States) for protein requirements for good health .. and this is from the handout I put together. it is surprising how little protein we acftually need and how much would be supplied in our regular vegetarian foods .. unlike the guidelines of the 70s when I became a vegetarian and they wanted us to do food combining to make complete proteins .. that whole thing has been de-bunked as our body handles it well even when it is not a whole protein. From that handout:

Quote:

Originally Posted by TaDa! (Post 13553070)
Friday June 4, 2010

How To Get a Little Vegetarian into Your Diet …

VEGETARIAN PROTEINS
Nuts and Seeds – Almonds, Sunflower Seeds, Peanut Butter (technically a legume)
Dairy – Eggs, Cheese, Yogurt, Milk, Whey protein powder (and shakes)*
Beans – Lentils, Chickpeas, Beans of all kinds, Hummus Spread
Grains – Bread, Rice, Wheat Seitan (a/k/a “Wheat Meat”)*
Soy and Vegetable Protein –Veggieburgers, Soy Crumbles, Tofu*, Tempeh,* Textured Vegetable Protein (TVP)*

RECOMMENDED PROTEIN LEVELS
Based on the “Reference Nutrient Intakes for Protein” which replaced the RDA

Women (age 15-49) ~45 gm
Women (age 50+) ~50 gm
Women (pregnant) 51 gm
Women (lactating) 53-56 gm

Men (age 15-49) ~55 gm
Men (age 50+) ~53 gm

Children (age 7-10) ~28 gm
Children (age 11-14) ~42 gm

VEGETARIAN PROTEIN VALUES

Soy, Nuts, Beans
Almonds (1/4c) 6 gm
Peanut Butter (2T) 8 gm
Veggieburger 15 gm
Red Beans (1 cup) 12 gm
Hummus (1/4 cup) 4 gm

"Weird"Vegetarian Proteins
Soy Tofu (4 oz) 10 gm
Soy Tempeh (4 oz) 16 gm
Wheat Seitan (4 oz) 23 gm
Quorn (4 oz) 23 gm
Soy TVP (1/4c) 12 gm

Grains
Special K Cereal (1 cup) 6 gm
Whole Wheat Bread (2 slices) 8 gm
White Bread (2 slices) 4 gm
Rice (1 cup) 4-5 gm
Pasta (2 oz dry/sm bowl cooked) 7-8 gm

Dairy
Milk – all kinds (1 cup) 8 gm
Yogurt (1 cup/8 oz) 12 gm
American Cheese (slice) 4 gm
Cheddar Cheese (grated 1/4 c) 7 gm
Eggs (2 large) 12 gm
Egg Whites (2 large) 8 gm

Veggies
Broccoli (1 cup chopped cooked) 6 gm
Peas (1 cup) ~8 gm
Spinach (a salad bag) 6 gm
Corn (1 ear) 4.5 gm

There was more - directed at non-vegetarians, but I deleted it since its not relevant here

nowpresence 07-06-2011 09:49 AM

It's just that I don't eat cheese, milk, yogurt, grains, beans...so, to be on the safe side...plus to make sure I have protein at each meal...I like to have the protein powder... occasionally for convenience too!

nowpresence 07-06-2011 10:19 AM

Hi Kathy

I don't know how I missed your post! But I just looked at the PlantFusion Protein and it looks FAB! Price is good too :-D I'll get that one NEXT!
Thanks again.
Joli

Rua 07-06-2011 01:05 PM

thanks, i think im probably getting more protein on this diet then before! lol so im probly grand! :)