Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Vegetarian
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-11-2011, 04:01 PM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: nemily
Stats: 157/147/133 - 5'3''
WOE: Vegetarian Low Carb - Rose Elliott
Start Date: 6th June 2011
1 week in ... feeling terrible ... please motivate me!

Hi all

I am 41 yrs old, need to lose about a stone and a half, suffer fibromyalgia and polycystic ovaries and have tried and failed at all sorts of diets, mainly low fat or counting points, calories. I take meds which are well known weight gainers

I have been following Rose Elliot veg low carb for 6 days. I quickly realised that 20g carbs was too low and so have increased this amount by adding vegetables to the menu. I have lost 6 lb this week which is fantastic. I am amazed because I generally am very lucky for a 2 lb loss in week one of any diet. So am thinking this is the way for me. I feel that I maybe near diabetic and am very hopeful to get my blood sugars more stable.

Thats all the good stuff ...

The bad stuff is that I am very very tired, no energy at all, ache all over and now have swollen glands. I feel like I have flu!!! I am trying very hard to continue with the plan, breakfast and lunches I have sussed, evening meals I am just starting to wane, getting fed up of cheese/eggs already, dont like tofu.

Any help or encouragement would be greatfully received
nemily is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 06-12-2011, 11:40 AM   #2
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Nigel
Can you eat soy, as in tvp or boca burgers. Boca burgers are a great source of protein and also eat some walnuts or other nuts...they help with the energy. Strawberries help and other berries.

Are you eating enough? Esp. enough protein?

I too, have to eat more carbs to keep losing weight, but I also have to make sure I get enough protein.

Your symptoms sound like you might be allergic to something...maybe see how you feel after each food that you eat and see if one thing is the culprit.

I recall being tired the first week, but the second week, I started feeling good and energetic. Your body does need a little adjustment time.

You can eat whole grains like steel cut oats, etc. Even if it isn't on the Rose Elliott diet, try adding in some wild rice or basmati brown rice. Maybe some legumes. You can make bean burger patties or loaves too that are pretty good. I put a lot of veggies in mine and I use bulgar too.

If you don't start feeling better, you might want to see the doctor because you shouldn't feel like you have the flu. Maybe your body is detoxing? Just guessing on my part here.

Tomato juice or V-8 juice helps me when I'm tired or eating a handful of nuts. I also use a variety of different cheeses to solve the boredom.

You can make quiche or stuff like that with the eggs and cheese to change up the egg routine. There is a recipe for better than quiche, ricotta pie on here that is great...just leave out the meat or use a vegetarian meat substitute.

Check out Linda Sue's website...she has several meatless recipes that are very good. And lots of the regular recipes you can just omit the meat and add in zucchini or some other vegetable.

Good luck with this and I hope you feel better soon.

Welcome to the forum!!
Nigel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 11:43 AM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: flawesome
Stats: starting weight:235lbs/current:232lbs/goal:154lbs
WOE: Atkins Induction
Start Date: October 24, 2012
I felt very groggy on my first round of Atkins also! Make sure you are eating enough healthy calories and maybe add some nuts as your "extra carbs". I cannot eat nuts or they stall me-- but I am on less than 20 carbs per day. Almonds are excellent!
flawesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 01:53 PM   #4
Junior LCF Member

Thanks to you both

I feel a little better today so am hoping its just the shock to my system! We had lunch at mums today, I had quorn grill with boiled veggies .. it really was the most bland thing ever, whilst the others had roasties and yorkshire puds etc

so tonight Im gonna have a lovely fresh salad with goats cheese and walnuts. My daughter has made a low carb cheesecake (3g carbs per slice) which I am looking forward to but I hope I can easily stop there!

Im in the UK and have never heard of BOCA burgers?? I use quorn mostly as a substitute, I have TVP in but its not something I enjoy, tried making a Tofu burger the other day and it was vile Trial and error eh?

So its main meals at the moment, after work I like a cooked meal, along the lines of stir fries and curries and pasta dishes usually. I am happy to try courgette ribbons/cabbage to subs pasta.

Can anyone recommend a good stir fry sauce recipe? Curry sauce recipe?

Its all a bit new to me at the moment .. I want to succeed but I need to make this a workable way of life .
Old 06-12-2011, 08:14 PM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: flawesome
Stats: starting weight:235lbs/current:232lbs/goal:154lbs
WOE: Atkins Induction
Start Date: October 24, 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by nemily View Post
Thanks to you both

I feel a little better today so am hoping its just the shock to my system! We had lunch at mums today, I had quorn grill with boiled veggies .. it really was the most bland thing ever, whilst the others had roasties and yorkshire puds etc

so tonight Im gonna have a lovely fresh salad with goats cheese and walnuts. My daughter has made a low carb cheesecake (3g carbs per slice) which I am looking forward to but I hope I can easily stop there!

Im in the UK and have never heard of BOCA burgers?? I use quorn mostly as a substitute, I have TVP in but its not something I enjoy, tried making a Tofu burger the other day and it was vile Trial and error eh?

So its main meals at the moment, after work I like a cooked meal, along the lines of stir fries and curries and pasta dishes usually. I am happy to try courgette ribbons/cabbage to subs pasta.

Can anyone recommend a good stir fry sauce recipe? Curry sauce recipe?

Its all a bit new to me at the moment .. I want to succeed but I need to make this a workable way of life .
Hi again.
The cheesecake sounds so good right about now! haha. Have you seen the "cheesecake" muffins you can make? I think it takes cream cheese, vanilla extract, splenda, etc. Super easy to make and surprisingly delicious (if you can stick to just eating one or two-- lol)

My neighbor is doing the diet along with me and she feels as though she has "the lowcarb flu". I feel so bad for her, she is feeling so sleepy and exhausted. Hang in there, friend. I hope you start feeling better like you do today!

Have you tried making broccoli slaw into stir fry? I picked some up to make and will be having that for lunch tomorrow with some grilled chicken. Everyone on the site says it's super addicting and delicious. Can't wait to try it. If you research ways to make it, you will find all sorts of yummy looking pictures and videos. I am going to stir fry mine because I love stir fry. Maybe you would like it too? Good luck!

Last edited by flawesome; 06-12-2011 at 08:16 PM..
flawesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 09:09 PM   #6
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I have some quorn "chicken" products and have yet to make it tasty either. I think adding lots of spices helps, but I still haven't made it taste wonderful yet. I try not to eat things that aren't truly tasty, but it is tough with meat substitutes. A lot of times I just eat the veggies.

I'm not a full-fledged vegetarian...I still eat bacon and use beef/chicken broths for flavorings and I eat dairy. So I guess I cheat. I don't eat meat though and keep trying to get something for a good substitute.

I have a friend who grow up as a vegetarian since she was 6 so she doesn't understand my need for substituting meat...she just eats more veggies and legumes and whole grains.

They have a website that you can go to and a few recipes on there.

There are also Morningstar Farms meat substitutes. These are both in the freezer section of the grocery store. I like the Boca better.

They also have Gimme Lean and I find that strangely enough in the produce section of the regular grocery store.

There is a good meat substitute recipe on here somewhere that uses TVP and chia seeds. If you have/use chia seeds or are interested in them, I can find the recipe for you. It's easy to make and works just like ground beef would in any recipe and it doesn't have that "cardboard" taste that I so often find in meat substitutes.

I've been working on my own recipes to make sausage, etc., but they still aren't as good as I want them to be. I don't have a lot of time for experimenting, but when I finally suceed, I will share the recipes.

Last edited by Nigel; 06-12-2011 at 09:10 PM..
Old 06-13-2011, 09:42 AM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Heidinem
Stats: 130/111/105 (5')
WOE: mostly pescetarian, moderate carbs
Start Date: November 1, 2009
Sounds like you are able to enjoy dairy. Most of my protein comes from yogurt & cheese & I never get tired of it. I have always leaned toward being vegetarian but must cook meat for my mom. Mostly ground beef recipes. I also eat fish but I guess that is a no no on your diet?
Heidinem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 11:29 PM   #8
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Personally, I never liked fish or seafood. Once I ate tuna, but then I got to where I just couldn't anymore...no reason, I just stopped liking it.

Some vegetarians eat fish...I think they go by Flexatarians or something like that.

I think that whatever works for you is a good thing.
Old 06-18-2011, 03:47 PM   #9
Junior LCF Member

hi everyone, thanks all so much for your replies, just thought I'd catch up ...

Well week one, I lost 5 lb. Week 2 .. zero! I am not disheartened because ...

I am not at all hungy
I am not thinking about my next meal
I am not feeling deprived
I am not bloated, constipated, full of wind
I do not have indigestion
My tummy constantly feels calm
I feel thinner

That must be enough of an incentive! I honestly can say, since being a vegetarian, some 21 yrs, I have never ever considered protein in my diet ... shocking really! I am eating flaxseeds with my yoghurt, plenty of walnuts and almonds, with quorn and lentils thrown in for evening meals.

I purchased the Insulin Resistance Diet book recently and have decided in part to follow these guidelines, but I am happy with no carbs for breakfast and lunch so will keep these the same, had an apple mid am and pm on friday. Interestingly, on thursay I had a tablespoon of brown rice, for the first time in 2 weeks, my tummy was like a balloon and really painful and gurgling .. urgh! So I can safely say brown rice is off the menu. I was naughty today and forgot lunch so went about 9 hours with no food ... had the shakes ... not good

But back to it again ... I am the most relaxed I have ever been foodwise. Im not even bothered about food. I'm not trying to think about what I can have, when I can have it, what points or calories I have left. Its a big weight lifted. I am just happy to eat my meal, and thats it. I am munching a few walnuts before I go to bed (anyone else cant sleep unless they eat first?)

So basically, Im happy within, smoother skin, smoother thighs and am happy to wait for the weight loss when it happens. My energy is returning (as much as it can for a fibro sufferer - although I am really hoping this diet does improve my fibro too)

Its a shame there's not much activity on this thread
Old 06-18-2011, 11:28 PM   #10
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I'm glad you are doing good, nemily.

I am surprised there isn't more action on the vegetarian threads.

I used to worry about protein, but have been reading up on it and if you eat plenty of vegetables and other stuff you will get in enough protein. If you feel tired, then you are probably lacking.

I also eat about every 2-3 hours...not a full meal, but a snack or something. Peanuts have a lot of protein. You can always add in a protein shake if you don't feel like you are eating enough.

Eating often keeps your blood sugar stable and keeps your metabolism revved. It's just a good idea.

I also find I don't get tired as easily and when I start feeling tired, it's usually cuz I forgot to eat. I try not to forget, but ya know how it is.

I have more energy and my brain seems to think better. It just makes sense to me. I know everyone is different, but once you start eating this way, you don't want to stop.

I take snacks with me whenever I go out. I eat stuff like nuts, strawberries, peanut butter, zone bars (not the best choice, I know), etc. Anything that is basically LC to keep the edge off the hunger and to keep the tiredness at bay.

My wife says, watch the 5 year old, eat like she does...seemingly all the time, but she doesn't eat that much at one time and she is a "Taz" bundle of energy all the time.
Old 06-19-2011, 09:38 AM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Nigel you are the first low carber who eats all day like I do! I eat 2 meals, brunch & dinner, 4 snacks & as long as I do not add "extra" food such as desserts after meals I am OK. I can have a dessert type of food as a snack at my regular snack time. I also eat when I am not hungry, which for most on this board is a no no. I eat about 2000 calories per day.

Nemily its great to hear you are feeling better. I love to read posts from vegetarians or near vegetarians. I cook for my mom so I do include some meat as she will not give it up. My preference would be to get my protein from eggs, cheese & fish.

"obesity is a complex problem and it will not be shoehorned into simplistic hypotheses"
Stephan Guyenet
Old 06-19-2011, 03:30 PM   #12
Junior LCF Member

well you both seem to know your stuff! I can only learn from you

today I have snacked a bit more, I also had 3 small new potatoes with my tea (quorn grill and veggies), that was satisfying! I have noticed I am more tired when I drink coffee and dont eat .. learning, learning! So then I tried a few walnuts with my coffee ... better! I have also noticed that red berry tea perks me up!

Could I ask you both what your story is, with regarding to diet, losses, timescales etc? Just being nosey!

Today I managed to do an hour of callanetics ; my whole aim here is to get fitter, leaner and beat my illness I am slightly achey at the minute and hoping that I dont have a complete flareup tomorrow, but positive thinking eh? Hoping to do this twice a week to allow recovery in between.

Lunch today was peppers stuffed with mushrooms and flaked almonds, with grilled cheese on top. I baked some cherry tomatoes to go with it. It was really nice, only had one half pepper as it was a light lunch but am thinking of tons of variations of this for main meals Also last week I baked lentils and ground almonds, carrots and onions with some cheese mixed through. It was lovely, made six portions and now have 5 waiting in the freezer .. it will go with anything.

Still have the halloumi and tofu sitting there waiting for me to try it .. cant say Im too excited about it

well its been good to share, thanks for listening!

ooohhhhh ... ps ... any good ideas for chickpeas ?
Old 06-20-2011, 06:36 AM   #13
Senior LCF Member

Nemily I am still a new maintainer so I'm still experimenting.

I tested my blood sugar randomly one day after a particularly hearty meal which included a giant portion of mashed potatoes. 2 hours after this meal my BS was 174. Instant panic set in & I immediately went on portion control diet & lost 2 lbs in a week. I already followed David Mendosa's diabetes blog because I found it interesting so I began seriously researching BS issues. I started a lower carb diet 11/1/09, weighing 128 lbs. (I had been fluctuating between 127 & 132 for about 20 years. I was pretty active & made an effort to exercise.)

The more I learned the more carbs I was able to replace w/ other types of foods. My fear of diabetes was so great that portion control was not a problem. I lost 13 lbs by 1/1/10. I kept losing at a steady pace until I reached 105 by July of 2010. I added more food when the scale said 104. My lab work in June did not indicate any sugar problems. All went well until Xmas when I began the artificial sweetener baking. All kind of food cravings followed as well as 3 lbs. Still working on losing them 6 months later.

During my weight loss I told myself & everyone around me that I wasnt hungry. Only partially true. By the time I was making the vegetables for dinner I was eating them raw just to have something in my stomach. I dont let myself get that hungry anymore, I have scheduled snacks.

BTW, I love lentils & used to eat them all winter. I plan on having it again sometimes next winter, but havent had legumes for over a year now. I find I can eat about 2 high carb meals per month w/o any weight gain. Gain happens w/ extra food, such as second helping of anything other than lettuce.

Your feeling good about slow weight loss is wonderful , I totally agree this is the way to go. I'm sure slow loss is easier on the body. So may people have issues w/ fibro. Hopefully you will see some improvement. Sounds to me like you are definitely on the right track.

Last edited by Heidinem; 06-20-2011 at 06:38 AM..
Old 06-20-2011, 09:28 AM   #14
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quite honestly, it seems the more I eat and the more often I eat, the faster and more weight I lose. Of course that would be staying in my carb level and not eating junk.

The times I skip meals or don't eat for other reasons or get sick, I actually gain weight.

Sometimes I just don't want to eat and on those days, I really can't eat much at all. Of course the dog likes those type of days. lol

Last edited by Nigel; 06-20-2011 at 09:30 AM..
Old 06-27-2011, 04:28 AM   #15
lj3
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: lj3
been encouarging to read how you are all adapting the plan, that works best for you. For years I have been a woman who simply doesn't eat regular. I could go for 6/8hours without eating. I learned after I was diagnosed with M.E 4 yrs ago, that small amounts and often, is the key to helping my symptoms. I have slowly been getting use to that way, esp the past cpl of years. Now when Ive started the low-carb Rose Elliott diet, its turned my ,' small amounts frequently' on its head, as I dont get hungry, so Im comforatable with going for hours again, without eating. Problem is, I dont think this is what's best for me and esp not having fruit! I'm not even losing weight (as you will have read my moan in the other veg post!).
I need and want to lose weight for all the right reasons, speed is not so much the issue, well-being is. At 5ft and 11stone, I need to lose weight, will also help other medical conditions. ANY advice much needed please.
lj3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 05:53 AM   #16
Senior LCF Member

Have you tried putting everything you eat into ******? Its a pain after a while but the first 6 months or so I stayed w/ it & gained a lot of insight into where I had problems.

Maintenance is constant vigilance for me & I'm still trying to get it right. Maybe you can add fruit back in, perhaps right before some exercise. That seems to work for me. How long have you been following this diet?
Old 06-27-2011, 06:46 AM   #17
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

My thought is to eat smaller amounts at one time so you will get hungry and can eat more often.

So if you eat a cup of salad, cut it down to half a cup.

If you eat a half cup of green beans, make it 1/3 or 1/4 cup.

Cut your protein portion in half so you will get hungry and can have the other half in a couple of hours.

I know it's a pain, but if eating more often is what is helping you, then you have to eat less at one time in order to feel hungry more often.

Exercise can make you more hungry too...it doesn't have to be strenuous, just walking or doing sitting exercises, anything like that.

A lot of times if I drink something other than water, then my appetite is smaller--not always a good thing.

Eating nuts before mealtime also makes me eat less, so if you do that, then make them a snack instead.

You could eat basically empty calorie foods (even though we don't count calories)...eat things like celery, lettuce, cucumbers...if you can, watermelon. All of these contain lots of water and won't fill you up for very long. They seem to help me continue losing weight though.
Old 06-27-2011, 02:45 PM   #18
Junior LCF Member

Hi all

Just to let you know I have lost another 2 lb since last post, thank you Nigel and Heidinem for your valuable advice

Heidenem - my goal weight is your start weight but I am determined to get there and then see where I am at.

Nigel - I increased my munching and have been sure to not let myself go more than a few hours without even just a few nuts or something.

My plan has gradually evolved into something sustainable, I have used my airwalker for 15 mins a day plus now done 4 hours of callanetics (no pain ... yea!)

Lj3 I have replied on your thread in more detail, please dont give up. I was speaking to a colleague the other day who follows weight watchers. I said how it never worked for me. She said that week one, she put 2 lb on, week 2 stayed the same, week 3 stayed the same, then suddenly lost 3 lb in week 4 and continued a steady loss each week and she has lost a stone now. So I guess our bodies all react differently and her story certainly gave me the strength to keep with it and not give up (as I have done so many many times)

The thing about this plan for me (my own adaptation) is that its something I can easily stick at and not feel deprived.

good luck, and thanks all for your support
Old 06-28-2011, 04:07 AM   #19
Senior LCF Member

Nemily good for you on the weight loss & all the exercise you are able to do. I believe that slow weight loss is more sustainable weight loss, especially if you are only moderately overweight.

I have blood sugar issues & this grazing is not great for that. If my labs dont look good I will have to go lower carb but I dont think I will be able to change from the 2 meals 4 snack plan. It is so easy & I am never hungry.
Old 06-28-2011, 04:16 AM   #20
lj3
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: lj3
Heidinem, what is ******?
lj3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 06:19 AM   #21
Senior LCF Member

You can keep track of your food intake here. Its very helpful when first starting a diet. There are other sites too, some of which may be even better. I used this for almost 6 months..

http://http://******.com/
Old 07-04-2011, 11:47 AM   #22
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Eva Aisling
Stats: 149/138.2/125
I had a friend with similar symptoms (his glands got REALLY swollen) and his doctor told him it was because he wasn't getting enough iodine. He got better after adding iodized salt back into his diet.
Eva Aisling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 08:15 AM   #23
Rua
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Rua
Stats: 130lbs / 126lbs / 110lbs
WOE: Little or no carbs veggie diet
Start Date: June 2011
was going to write up that i felt the same the first week of mine but i see you are doing much better now delighted to hear that!

i felt so sick, i was constantly hungry and felt sick, nothing i ate seemed to fill the hunger pangs but im grand now

only ive no idea if ive lost weight!! i work in kg's (since i got a wii fit :P)
so ive been fluctuating between 56-59kgs everyday.

just wish i could say... i lost <insert weight here>!

congrats on your weight loss!
Rua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 02:52 PM   #24
Junior LCF Member

thanks Rua

Im feeling a bit panicked at the moment, 3lb weight gain but TOTM, Im hoping this is fluid retention and it will sort itself out in a few days.
Old 07-05-2011, 04:56 PM   #25
Rua
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
thanks Rua

Im feeling a bit panicked at the moment, 3lb weight gain but TOTM, Im hoping this is fluid retention and it will sort itself out in a few days.
oh definitely dont fret!
dont they say drink more water when your body does that? like your body is retaining water because its not getting enough so its storing what it has?

im panicking a bit myself, started 3 weeks ago and no sign of change but i was doing it all wrong for the first two weeks so just hoping thats it haha!
Old 07-06-2011, 03:01 PM   #26
Junior LCF Member

woohoo, 2 of the 3 have gone now, so i guess water retention it is. can someone remind me of this next month when i moan again
Old 07-07-2011, 03:03 AM   #27
Rua
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
woohoo, 2 of the 3 have gone now, so i guess water retention it is. can someone remind me of this next month when i moan again

yeay!!! well done! sure ill kick ya up the arse next month when you moan! :P