Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Vegetarian
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-06-2011, 08:12 AM   #1
lj3
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: lj3
I'm a newbie!

Hi my name is Lisa, 47yrs young and and Ive been following Rose Elliots Low carb diet for vegatarians. First week lost 5 lbs, 2nd week nothing 3, week (still on phase 1) gained 2lbs. Ive has period during that time and a cpl of days were ive been off the program in week 3. I'm now on 4 week...feeling good and a little trimer around the tummy, except the scales put me off this morning with a 2lb gain. And I dont think Im in ketosis. I know this sounds like i shouldn't really be moaning,so early in the diet, but at 5 ft and 11.2lbs ive been so uncomfortable in my own skin for a long time. I have M.E and the change in daily carb intake as been the best thing in making my M.E symptoms a little better-which is fantastic.

Any tips for a newbie much appreciated.
lj3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 06-06-2011, 09:07 PM   #2
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Nigel
When I first started, I actually gained wieght, but I lost inches. Maybe your clothes are a little looser?

Just stick with it as best you can and I know you will continue to lose weight. Good luck!!

And welcome to the forum.

I have Rose Elliot's book, one of them, but haven't had a chance to read the recipes yet. I'm glad to hear that its a good cookbook.
Nigel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 11:47 AM   #3
lj3
Junior LCF Member

Thanks for the encouragement. I only have one low-carb veggie cookbook, and although its good, im wanting some differant foods. I'm new to low-carbing, and want to be more relaxed about what i can eat, without worrying if its too high carb. Not even been out to eat yet, im normally into pasta/rice on meal out, so not sure what I could choose.

Any eating tips very helpful!

Blessings x
Old 06-07-2011, 05:10 PM   #4
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

If you google vegweb they have piles of vegetarian recipes.

There is a good recipe on here for faux meat if you eat TVP.

I like boca burgers a lot, but I doctor them up with cilantro butter and fry them in a pan til crispy or else grill them.

A lot of people eat Dreamfield's pasta on here. I have eaten it a few times and it tastes just like regular pasta.

Some people make zucchini noodles instead of pasta.

As for eating out, that's a tough one for me. I don't eat out much unless I get a salad or go to a buffet or a breakfast bar. Most buffets have lots of vegetables and if you eat dairy, they usually have sliced boiled eggs and different cheeses for the proteins. If you eat beans, bean salad is okay...not my fave, but some people like it.

I don't know how strict you are on your carbs. It depends on how many you can eat and still lose weight. Some people can lose weight eating 100 carbs per day while others have to eat about 20. You might just have to test yourself and see what works the best for you. For me, I have to eat more carbs in order to lose weight, so I'm not the typical low carb person here.

If I can help in any way, just let me know. I hope others will chime in here and give you some ideas also.
Old 06-18-2011, 02:53 PM   #5
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: nemily
Stats: 157/147/133 - 5'3''
WOE: Vegetarian Low Carb - Rose Elliott
Start Date: 6th June 2011
hi lj3

I was just wondering how you are doing with the plan?

I note that we are similar age, following Rose Elliot and that I too didnt lose on my 2nd week although Im ok with this at the moment as I have seen a lot of benefits to the diet.

Be good to hear how its going
nemily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 03:04 AM   #6
lj3
Junior LCF Member

Hi nemily, sorry for delay in reply, been offline for a while with work commitments.
Im not losing any weight on this diet. I have follwed it exactly first 3/4 wks, and still not managed to lose any more than the intial 5lbs. The past 3 weeks Ive been sticking with phase 1 all week and having a glass of wine or 2 at weekends and maybe bit of cake or some choc. The pattern seems to be that I then reg another 2lb gain then lose it again and then off it goes again. Im just 11stone then 11.2 and nothing else! Im now thinking Im NOT losing weight at all, but maybe water fluctuation. I do feel better since Ive cut out carbs and I dont get mega hungry and its helped other health conditions too. But maybe Im not eatting enough, to lose weight? Or maybe I need to add more carbs to lose, as some say thats how you lose the weight! Its all abit confusing when I try to work out what Im not doing right. Really need some guidance with this, otherwise, how I feel today, I want to give up!! How about you?

Nigel, if you have any help, could REALLY do with it right now. So desparate to shed this weight, never found it easy to lose, but I must be doing something wrong? I know in the book (and other freinds have said too) that it can take a while for blood/hormone balance if you have been someone whose not had a regualar pattern of eatting,the right amount etc. I can be patient and trust in the system, but Im seeing no results. I've stuck with phase 1 and relaxed abit at weekends but no weight loss and Im getting REALLY unmotivated.

Advice please. x
Old 06-27-2011, 03:30 AM   #7
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: TaDa!
Stats: 236.5 /132.5/ 128-133 @5'3"
WOE: Atkins Maintenance (Vegetarian + Fish)
Start Date: 6/03 & Goal! 5/06
lj3 the "relaxing a bit" at the weekends is probably what is throwing off weightloss. It also takes you out of ketosis so that your hunger is greater and you are probably then eating too much (of the right things) to lose weight during the week even when you are on plan.

With lowcarb, you cannot go off and on it with wheat and sugar regulary and expect it to work .. My advice is to find some treats you can make yourself with artificial sweetener, etc .. I see a nice chocolate mousse, a simple blueberry "pie", etc. in Rose Elliott's book (The vegetarian low carb diet) ... I think you need to try and re-frame what is an indulgence for you.

Pauline

Stats: 47 Years Old & 5'3" tall
Weight: 236.5 (43 bmi) / 132.5 / 128-133 (size 4/6 .. 23 bmi)

*Weekly Weigh-In 7/10/12

My Journal
Year One Weightloss and Chart
My Weightloss Story
TaDa! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 05:37 AM   #8
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I would suggest absolutely no sugar at all. If you want chocolate, try a s/f variety. There are lots of them out there that are pretty decent. You can even make your own, but I'm not good at that.

Maybe eating more is correct. You can eat more fruits and vegetables. My fruits are generally just berries and mostly strawberries. Once in a while I eat a grapefruit or an apple.

Eating more raw vegetables will help you lose weight too and sleep better.

That's about all I can think of right now.

Sometimes adding fat helps people lose weight too. Coconut oil can be used to make chocolate bark and then you would be getting a sweet and a little extra fat also.

Last edited by Nigel; 06-27-2011 at 05:38 AM..
Old 06-27-2011, 01:36 PM   #9
Junior LCF Member

Hi, Im sorry its not working out for you at the moment. I confess that stage one of the Rose Elliot plan was not for me ... I quickly knew it was something I couldnt sustain.

I kept it up for week 1. Then purchased 'Insulin Resistance Diet' and kind of made my own diet based on the two, low carb, lower fat. By low carb, I eat unlimited veg and salad stuffs (apart from potatoes and sweetcorn) and I have allowed myself an apple or two. I eat plenty though and have shifted 8 lb in total now in 3 weeks. I found a plan that works for me, something I can very easily live with and continue into the future, if that means only a pound loss every once in a while, thats fine, but my weight has been the same every single day (no fluctuations) apart from when its dropped a pound, then the same again every day .

Like Nigel has said somewhere (thanks for the tip) I dont let myself go 3 or 4 hours without eating now, even if its only a handful of brazil or walnuts. I think this helps, no cravings at all, no desire to deviate. I event have a small malibu and coke every night. I havent eaten out so not had to 'face' that one yet, but I am eating plenty.

Today I had;

3 tbspn natural fat free yoghurt
25g chopped almonds
2 tspn flaxseed

handful of brazil and walnuts

Large salad, leaves, cucumber, cherry tomatoes
half a beetroot
a few chopped walnuts
50g feta cheese

3 brazil nuts

one quorn grill
stir fry mushrooms, cabbage, courgette with 1tspn pesto stirred in
2 tbspn mashed swede
3 brocolli florets

1 small malibu and coke

a few nuts a bit later

Sounds a lot doesnt it, Its not really really low carb. I counted calories, carbs and protein over afew days and averaged, 1500 cals and about 60 - 80 carbs.

Dont know if this helps, but I found eating more and often was helpful. plus, lots of liquids!
Old 06-27-2011, 03:14 PM   #10
lj3
Junior LCF Member

Thanks everyone for your support and advice. Thankfully, after making my first (moan) post this morning and egerly awaiting any advice, I stayed on track and have eaten regualr and the right foods. Im not giving up. And what you all have said, rings true. I think befor I started to 'relax abit at weekends', I was doing ok. I had recognised that I was starting to 'carb-binge' on those weekends, so no wonder ive gone off track abit and not lost. But apart from the fluctuating couple of pounds, atleast I havnt put weight back on! I also need to varie my meals, as I seem to have gotten stuck in Rose Elliots low carbs menues, and so Im probably getting (unconsoiusely!) bored and also abit afraid, if I try other low carb meals/foods, I will somehow mess up and start eating the wrong foods.

Gosh, now I sound like a neurotic dieter!

Any recipes/books recommended?

Thanks again for you tips, keep them coming please.
Old 06-28-2011, 03:29 AM   #11
lj3
Junior LCF Member

how much is 'unlimited' veg....or does it depend of the type of veg for the carb count? I love veggies and salad so no problems with that. Is the amount important though, for weight loss-what an approximate of what I should be eating per day?
Old 06-28-2011, 01:17 PM   #12
Junior LCF Member

no not neurotic!! it's a learning curve I think, to what works with your body!

Well as far as veg goes, I have been eating the lower carb stuff, cabbage and spinach and brocolli and cauliflower in the quantities I would normally want, plus I have been having mushrooms, onions, leeks, peppers, cucumber, salad leaves and cherry tomatoes. The only thing I have rationed there is the cherry tomatoes, probably about 4/5 per sitting. I have allowed carrots once a week so far.

Veg do contain carbs, but they are good carbs I feel, the healthy ones. Fruit is heavier in carbs, so I max one apple per day, with berries and melon every now and then.

However, I am very new to all this and will open the floor to others who would like to comment?