Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Vegetarian
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-15-2011, 09:26 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: annieS
WOE: vegetarian/JUDDD
Start Date: january to march 2011 / 2nd start 16 feb 2012
what do you do when you want a snack ?!

hello everyone, i have a question !
when you are having a craving in the afternoon or in the evening, what do you eat ?!

i don't want to eat cheese (i'm already over the daily quota i think... frenchy me !), don't want to cook tofu... But i want proteins !
Here (in France) there's almost no meet substitute (like veggy burger or saussages) that i can have either

any ideas ??!
annieS is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 02-15-2011, 10:11 AM   #2
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: TaDa!
Stats: 236.5 /132.5/ 128-133 @5'3"
WOE: Atkins Maintenance (Vegetarian + Fish)
Start Date: 6/03 & Goal! 5/06
Annie .. a few things I do:

Flax minute muffin (I came up with a vegan baked version I like a lot. Tastes a lot like gingerbread and I like mine with whipped cream .. decadent me! lol!). I will post the recipe below for you. You can also make versions using butter and eggs instead of the coconut oil and oat fiber .. Do a search on "minute muffin" .. I develeoped this one based on those.

Chocolate pecan coconut bars My version based on a recipe posted here by Smasty. Do some searches on "coconut bark" and you will come up with a lot of threads and posts with recipes! I put cocoa, pecans, whey protein powder, and shredded coconut in mine.

Nuts (high calories but protein dense. Limit to 1 oz / 28g at a time). Since you are such an accomplished chef, you could make all kinds of flavored nuts. If you do search here, you will find recipes!

Cold baked tofu with or without a dipping sauce.

Milkshake Whey protein powder made into a milkshake .. use almond milk, or soy milk, or whatever products you can get in France.

Recipe ....

Pauline's Vegan Flax Muffins - makes 12

Dry Ingredients:
3 cups ground flax
3/4 cup oat fiber
2 t. baking powder
2 t. baking soda
3 T. cinnamon

Wet ingredients
3/4 cup coconut oil
1 t. liquid splenda (or: 48 drops)
2 1/2 cups boiling water

Other items
Pam Spray
12 muffin pan
glass measuring cup

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Grease the muffin tin with pam spray (for ease of use!). Set water to boil in your kettle.

Measure out all the dry ingredients into a large bowl. Mix well and put it aside.

Measure the 3/4 cup of coconut oil out into a glass measuring cup. If it is not liquid, place in the microwave in 45 second intervals until liquid. Once this is done, add the liquid splenda to the coconut oil. Pour the liquid into the dry mixture. Before you mix, quickly add the 2 1/2 cups of boiling water to the bowl.

Mix very well! Use the mixture to fill the muffin tin and place in the oven (400 degrees) for 15 minutes. Once cooled, the muffins will slip right out! The muffin texture is more moist than the traditional minute muffin, somewhere between the minute muffin and a brownie!

I hope that helps some!

Pauline

Stats: 47 Years Old & 5'3" tall
Weight: 236.5 (43 bmi) / 132.5 / 128-133 (size 4/6 .. 23 bmi)

*Weekly Weigh-In 7/10/12

My Journal
Year One Weightloss and Chart
My Weightloss Story
TaDa! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 12:49 PM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Thank you so much Pauline ! this is really helpfull ^^

I really want to try your muffins ! I will try to find coconut oil first, never seen any so far but it should exists somewhere ! Do you think I can make a batch and freeze them ? (I don't want to be all alone in front of 12 muffins )

Another question (sorry... :blush is oat fiber the same as oat bran ???

Thank you again for sharing
Old 02-15-2011, 01:34 PM   #4
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: TaDa!
Stats: 236.5 /132.5/ 128-133 @5'3"
WOE: Atkins Maintenance (Vegetarian + Fish)
Start Date: 6/03 & Goal! 5/06
Annie, oat fiber is different than oat bran. I believe the bran has carbs and the oat fiber does not. It is just something I threw in there for bulk since I was taking out the eggs .. now since you are a good cook and you probably have a better understanding of baking than I do *and* you are doing some higher carb items that I do not do, you could probably come up with something as a substitute .. I bet oat bran would work fine ..

I actually just made a batch of the muffins today, lol! and I always freeze them .. I freeze 9 of them and leave 3 of them in the refrigerator .. I wonder if you could find coconut oil in a shop that sells ethnic tropical foods? I think it is used in Caribbean, South Asian and Indian cuisine (India) .. those might be the kinds of shops to look for it!

It hardens to a white solid at cool temperatures and you must warm it first in the microwave to get it to liquid form. I keep mine in the cupboard, not the refrigerator.

hth (hope that helps)!

Pauline
TaDa! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 01:41 PM   #5
Senior LCF Member

it sure does ! i don't think oat fiber is sold here so i'll try with bran or even with eggs

there's a big chinese supermarket close to my place, i'll go check for coconut oil tomorrow ^^ I bought coconut sugar there once, so they might have the oil as well ^^

well, muffin baking, coconut oil shopping... i definitely know what to do tomorrow
Old 02-15-2011, 09:29 PM   #6
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Strawberry
For the past couple days, i've had spinach dip with jicama as the "dipper" (its cold and crisp like the water chestnuts you put in spinach dip).

Any veggies with dip. if you blend up cottage cheese or use Greek yogurt as a base, you can get in some protein.

Celery with peanut butter.

This is a little higher in carbs, but freeze dried veggies make great cruchy snacks. (eg freeze dried green beans or okra or celery... I buy them at one of my local supermarkets from the bulk foods area) The ingredients are veggie, olive oil, salt.

Kale chips are delish!
baked kale chips | smitten kitchen
You can also buy them (expensive) in little single serving snack bags at Whole Foods. They come in plain, as well as with flavors added (sour cream and onion flavor, curry flavor- really unique!)
Try them! They are crispy, crunch, so good! Nothing like eating a vegetable! And you wont have to feel guilty for munching on a big bowl!

Edited: Sorry, just realized you were asking for PROTEIN.
Greek yogurt is very high in protein.
Hard boiled eggs/deviled eggs/egg salad.

I have tried both these recipes that use almond flour. They both have a good dose of protein, between the eggs and almonds.
http://genaw.com/lowcarb/pumpkin_poundcake.html
http://genaw.com/lowcarb/pound_cake.html
You can just whiz blanched slivered almonds in a food processor to make your own flour too. It is supposed to be coarse.

Last edited by Strawberry; 02-15-2011 at 10:09 PM..
Strawberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 10:08 PM   #7
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Strawberry
Black bean brownies. I have not tried these myself, but they should provide a good dose of protein between the eggs and black beans.
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...-brownies.html

There are other recipes on this site for various cakes and breads using beans if you do a search(I think there is a white bean "corn bread" or something I remember)

Obviously beans are a little higher in carbs, so these wouldnt be recommended if you are doing Atkins Induction or haven't made it to the "beans" rung of the carb ladder.

I also wanted to mention HUMMUS for some protein.
(Its sister Baba Ganoush is also yummy, not so high in protein, but eggplant is a good-for-you veggie!)

Last edited by Strawberry; 02-15-2011 at 10:10 PM..
Strawberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 12:42 AM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Thank you Strawberry ! that's awesome ^^

I really have to find coconut oil and black beans now !! I'll either try the almond pound cake or the black bean brownie... or both ! sounds yummy !!

I'm really intrigued by the kale chips. I have to find kale too now !! I'm not sure it exists here but i'll try
Old 02-16-2011, 12:52 AM   #9
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Butternut
Stats: FAT
WOE: No Flour, No Sugar
Start Date: I have been very bad....
cottage cheese and strawberries or blueberries
apple and peanut butter
piece of bologna and slice cheese
pork rinds
diet pop
nuts
salad
Butternut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 09:25 AM   #10
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Nigel
I like to steam fresh asparagus for a snack.
Nigel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 02:38 PM   #11
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: piratewoman
Stats: 239.8/157.2/? 5'6 age:56 20W then-6 misses now
WOE: Atkins- very low carb
Start Date: August 2010
I like celery
piratewoman is offline   Reply With Quote