Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Vegetarian
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-05-2011, 03:31 PM   #1
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Nigel
Semi-Vegetarianism

Semi-Vegatarianism:

This would be me.

I love vegetarian foods, but I still eat eggs and cheese and bacon.

Sometimes I even eat beef or chicken.

So I wanted to start this thread for people who are wanting to become vegetarian or converting to vegetarian, but also might still eat meat occasionally.

I like to season my faux meats with bacon grease too. (my bad)

If I could get the quorn or other faux meats to resemble chicken more, I would like them better.

I would love suggestions and any meatless or practically meatless recipes.

I eat TVP and boca burgers, boca crumbles, quorn products, gimme lean and I've tried morningstar farms and a few others as well. Mostly I like the boca and the TVP hamburger meat recipe on this board.

Basically, I prefer vegetarian meats because of what is in the real meats. I do take beef stock and season the boca crumbles and quorn products just for flavor. I've used the chicken stock that way as well. It does help improve the flavor.

I do moderate carbs, so I make some decent sausage out of boca crumbles and bulgur wheat (1/2c = 17 carbs). These work best when frozen before cooking and I found the recipe online. I used the Jimmy Dean clone sausage seasing recipe and kicked it up a notch cause I love spicy and it was great, almost sausage is what I call it.

Please let me know the types of things you make with faux meats or not and if you make any faux meats yourself.

I'm desperately searching for a hotdog/wiener recipe that doesn't taste like paste. I've tried a few and not much luck.

The commercial ones contain garlic and I cannot handle the garlic. Also, all the ones I have bought besides Morningstar Farms (which are discontinued) taste a lot like rubber.

Any help/ideas/suggestions will be greatly appreciated. TIA

Last edited by Nigel; 02-05-2011 at 03:34 PM..
Nigel is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 02-05-2011, 08:15 PM   #2
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: chloeasha
Stats: 160/135/117
WOE: cutting out refined things
Start Date: June 2009
Hi Nigel! Well the main recipe I ever use fake meat in is trapped in my cookbook at home... but... since I imagine you'd like to know sooner than June, I can give you an approximation. I use Gimme lean and I put it in a lentil/leek/summer squash/onion recipe. Basically you have 2 leeks, a couple of cups of lentils, one onion which you stick cloves in, and then 2 summer squash. You bake the onion and the lentils first-- cover the lentils and onion with water half way up the onion, then add some bouillon cubes and cook until the lentils are basically soft (vegetable is what I always used-- maybe chicken would be ok). Next you add the chopped up leeks and summer squash, cut the onion down and if I remember correctly you add a bay leaf, some salt and some pepper. I add the gimme lean at this point-- it was not originally in the recipe. I make sort of meatballs out of it. You bake the veggies until they are soft. I imagine you could add all kinds of things to it-- carrots, potatoes, etc. You're supposed to top it with parmesan. Sorry for the terrible recounting of the recipe-- I last made this maybe 3-4 years ago.
chloeasha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 09:56 AM   #3
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Thanks for the recipe. I can figure out the approx. proportions. That sounds good and a great idea for meatballs too.
Old 02-10-2011, 05:07 PM   #4
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Strawberry
Hi, I am something similiar in terms of eating habits. I think the popular name is "flexitarian" - someone who does eat fish, chicken, and meat, but rarely and eats a predominantly vegetarian diet.

I would easily be a vegetarian if it weren't for my love of chicken stock! I use it all the times in soups.

I made a vegetarian nut loaf, in this thread:
Vegetarian Nut Loaf! DELICIOUS!

You could easily modify the recipe and make it into meatballs or something.
Strawberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 08:47 PM   #5
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I tried the Veggie Patch hot dogs/wieners the other day. I was not impresssed. If you cover them with enough stuff, they are edible. LOL

Then I got wild and tried their corndogs. They taste nothing like corndogs and I didn't even check the carb count, but I won't be paying that price for them again.

It's too bad that Morningstar Farms quit making the veggie dogs. I really miss them. They were good.
Old 05-12-2011, 09:07 AM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: kind
WOE: Eatin clean@ using the Nutri Bullet
Start Date: .Aug. 2012
Hi. Dont know if this site is still in use.?
I have the book and cook book coming in few days on Flexitarian diet.
Any others doing this and how is it working? How about weight loss?
Don't u have to be careful on what carbs and how much?
Any tips?
kind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 05:05 AM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lacie
I just ordered the Flexitarian Diet and a cookbook from Amazon. I should be getting them this week. I would be interested in the answers to your questions, kind.
lacie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 10:44 AM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: kind
WOE: Eatin clean@ using the Nutri Bullet
Start Date: .Aug. 2012
Hi, Lacie.
I have been reading the Flexitarian.I wish this site would post and let us know more on Flex.So you are interested in this too?
I thought at first to not have meat for 2 days aweek and see how that goes.But I already have lots of veggies and fruit,.Low sugar kind.
Hope to see you here and see how this goes for you.
Right now doing 17day diet. But think next week will start Flex. or maybe try to do both.
kind
Any one please post on Flex. if you are doing it.
kind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 05:12 AM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lacie
Hi kind, I just got my book yesterday, but only have had a chance to skim through it. I'll sit down and read it either today or tomorrow. It does sound like a good plan though. I'm thinking about having meat about 2 or 3 times a week.
Hope to see you here to see how things are going for you.
lacie
lacie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 06:11 AM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Heidinem
Stats: 130/111/105 (5')
WOE: mostly pescetarian, moderate carbs
Start Date: November 1, 2009
I also tend to eat low carb & mostly vegetarian. I tend to substitute dairy in the form of full fat yogurt & raw cheese & this has worked well for me. I find that if I do not eat 2 oz of cheese for breakfast I am starving by 12PM. I dont like the soybean based fake meats. I eat a ton of eggs also, & chia & flax seed. If I didnt have to cook for Mom I would be very happy w/o any meat.
Heidinem is offline   Reply With Quote