Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Vegetarian
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-30-2011, 05:33 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: annieS
WOE: vegetarian/JUDDD
Start Date: january to march 2011 / 2nd start 16 feb 2012
a new -french- low carber

Hello everyone ,

I'm a 28 years old french living in Paris just getting started with vege low carb

There is absolutely no book nor website on the subject in french so i started reading the Rose Elliot book (my bible now !) and i found this BBS while browsing for recipes !

I already dropped 2,5 kilos (5 pounds ?) in a week so i am super motivated ! i don't have much to lose though.

Hope the diet is working for everyone as well ! have a nice sunday

Last edited by annieS; 01-30-2011 at 05:34 AM..
annieS is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-30-2011, 10:17 AM   #2
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: TaDa!
Stats: 236.5 /132.5/ 128-133 @5'3"
WOE: Atkins Maintenance (Vegetarian + Fish)
Start Date: 6/03 & Goal! 5/06
Well done Annie! You will find that the first 2 weeks will give you the highest weight loss and it will slow down from there .. even with some weeks of no weightloss.

Glad you joined us!!!

Pauline
TaDa! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 11:10 AM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: sillykimmie
Stats: 223/192/140
WOE: Atkins induction!!!
Start Date: Re restart date 8-14-12
Oh Paris
You are in a fabulous city for walking!!
You are off to a great start, wishing you continued success!
sillykimmie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 12:35 PM   #4
Senior LCF Member

TaDa ! Sillykimmie thank you for your warm welcome !

Tonight i had Rose Elliott's chedar & tomato soup... lovely !
Hope the scale will be nice with me tomorrow
Old 01-31-2011, 01:20 PM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Good evening everyone !

I just made some lovely crepes for tonight's diner... am i french or what ?!! hihi
I don't know if you guys use wheat bran & oat bran but those have been reaaaaally popular in france recently, mostly because of the Dukan diet.
Wheat bran is really low carb, it's mostly fiber so i use it a lot instead of flour.

here's my recipe ! enjoy !!

for 4 crepes :
2 eggs (i'm not vegan yet !)
3T wheat bran
1T oat bran
1T soya cream
1T olive oil
and a little soya milk

mix everything & cook as usual !

I filled the crepes with a mix of mushroom, cream cheese and soya cream. My boyfriend (definitely NOT a low carber) loved it

Last edited by annieS; 01-31-2011 at 01:24 PM..
Old 01-31-2011, 04:42 PM   #6

nice recipe Annie! Sounds like you are quite the cook! I will check out your blog .. je parle un peu de francais ..

Pauline

p.s. I love your recipe notes ... pour 2 gros gourmands ... you and me perhaps?

Last edited by TaDa!; 01-31-2011 at 04:44 PM..
Old 02-01-2011, 02:05 PM   #7
Senior LCF Member

oh yes TaDa!, i'm pretty sure we could eat that tarte just the 2 of us, until the very last bit of crust

tonight I had classes until pretty late so I went out. we went to a "bar à vin"...
the good thing about a wine bar (besides the wine) is that you can eat cheese. the bad thing is that usually, this cheese comes with "charcuterie"... plenty of delicous saussages and ham... lucky me, i am a "domestic vegetarian" only ^^ i do eat meet when i have no choice and god yes, that ham was lovely...
anyway, i hope this zero carb diner will help cause i've been dealing with a nasty plateau
eventhough it's only my second week... God (by which i mean my Scale) will tell us more tomorrow.....
Old 02-01-2011, 02:12 PM   #8
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Ailuros
WOE: Controlled carb, real food
Welcome, Annie, I've just noticed this thread - if you want some more local company, we have a UK/Europe/Rest of the World thread. We're following a variety of plans in a variety of countries .

I could manage the French part of your blog (very nice!), but couldn't even identify the language for the Asian script!
Ailuros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 02:18 PM   #9
Senior LCF Member

haha ^^ thank you for the welcome Ailuros ! the asian script is japanese. i happen to be a french-japanese conference interpreter...

i'll check the UK/Europe/rest of the world thread ! thanks for the info !
Old 02-01-2011, 09:57 PM   #10
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: MintQ8
Stats: 264.6 (restart 260.2)/255/140
WOE: JUDDDD
Start Date: 6 May 2014
Hi Annie
Was going to recommend Rose Elliot for her great vegetarian low carb book (i'm a meat eater extraordinaire but own this because it's great!), but you already have her!
I love the term 'domestic vegetarian' - brilliant!!
MintQ8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 03:24 AM   #11

cheese and wine ... that could be my entire diet

I am similar in that I will eat fish when I am out. I was wondering how one would cope as a vegetarian eating out in France!

As far as plateauing ... the scale does not really show what is happening in your body from day to day. My weight goes up and down even when I eat the exact same meals every day. I would suggest you try to just follow your plan and not worry too much about the weightloss. You are doing fine!

Pauline
Old 02-02-2011, 01:21 PM   #12
Senior LCF Member

being a vegetarian is definitely hard here !! little by little, things are changing but still, slowly.
i do feel lucky i live in Paris, in a very "bobo" aera ! i have plenty of Bio/Organic stores around, and original restaurants... I love my neighbourhood !

anyway, today i had :
B= dukan galette (wheat & aot bran + egg + soya yogourt)
L= tuna sandwiches (with Rose Elliot almond microwave bread) + cheese
D= spinach + konnyaku & cottage cheese

bonne nuit à tous :hello:
Old 02-02-2011, 01:50 PM   #13
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Ailuros
WOE: Controlled carb, real food
Bonne nuit. A demain.
Ailuros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 01:08 PM   #14
Senior LCF Member

hello hello ^^

todays menu, just to keep track :
B = soya cappucino shake (I received my soy isolat yesterday ^^)
L = endives (chicory) with mimosa eggs + cheese
D = shirataki (the famous miracle noodle) with tofu-carbonara... let's call it shiratakarbo !
it was really lovely !

i think i'm done with my nasty plateau, but the scale will confirm this tomorrow !!

sweet dreams (on Paris time !)
Old 02-04-2011, 03:15 PM   #15
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: chloeasha
Stats: 160/135/117
WOE: cutting out refined things
Start Date: June 2009
Hello! I remember Paris fondly (psst I liked it so much better than Berlin, even though people said I would find Berliners more friendly!)

I'm new here too and have been putting off posting in here just because I know once I start talking about food, I am goinf to want to A) eat and B ) have to be accountable.

I'm mostly functioning as a vegetarian. I've always mostly been that way but in the past 5 years I have become deathly allergic to any and all mammal meat... so... that leaves eggs, fish, poultry. I eat fish more than the other two, but I do eat some poultry. I'm in the same boat as Ta-Da and yourself, eating it more when I am out. I think I probably eat meat maybe once or twice a week out of one of those 3 groups. If I have tofu, I may even skip a week.

I don't entirely eat low-carb, but what I do know works for me is to cut out refined sugars to a large extent (and thus I know making your own foods helps a lot), as well as unnecessary bread products. So basically I don't eat cereals. I don't eat bread very often (maybe 2-3 times/month). I limit pasta severely. I mostly eat vegetables. I cut out rice. I don't eat much in the way of beans. As far as condiments, i have never liked them-- so they are not an issue for me.

I am loving your daily food log... I used to do that and it really helped. I should do one too. I think in a way it can also be a source of food ideas for us all-- food ruts make it hard to continue.
chloeasha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 09:30 AM   #16
Senior LCF Member

haha ! i did think about eating the filling alone but i'm afraid it would be quite a mess !!
(and rude to the cook )
let's just hope there will be something else less carby on the menu

(i also made almond crakers so i'm safe for the "apéritif" !)
Old 02-05-2011, 09:51 AM   #17
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by annieS View Post
haha ! i did think about eating the filling alone but i'm afraid it would be quite a mess !!
(and rude to the cook )
let's just hope there will be something else less carby on the menu

(i also made almond crakers so i'm safe for the "apéritif" !)
That is true-- wasn't sure how close you were to the cook I know if we're very close friends, we don't often mind these things. I know one trick people talk about when trying to lose weight is to eat before going out to parties and such-- that way you are not as tempted to fill up on the bad things they have to eat (which undoubtably taste amazing).
Old 02-05-2011, 09:56 AM   #18
Senior LCF Member

it's exactly what i am doing right now ! i'm having a LC snack so i don't jump on the food ^^

the cook is a very good friend but there will be people i don't know so well, and i don't want to spend half an hour explaining why i'm on a diet (as i don't have much to loose i always have to justify myself... annoying !)
Old 02-05-2011, 10:09 AM   #19
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
it's exactly what i am doing right now ! i'm having a LC snack so i don't jump on the food ^^

the cook is a very good friend but there will be people i don't know so well, and i don't want to spend half an hour explaining why i'm on a diet (as i don't have much to loose i always have to justify myself... annoying !)
Ahh, yes. I know the feeling. I have 15lbs (6.8kg) until I am at my goal of 117lbs (about 53kg). I'm 5'4" (162.5cm). I have a pretty small frame, so I look heavier to myself and to anyone who would actually see me undressed lol.. I also gain a lot on my upper arms and thighs/hips/butt. So I'm not really working on other areas per se as far as actively dropping weight. I end up having to justify it as well to others from time to time. I am not sure why we have to justify eating healthier and working out
Old 02-06-2011, 04:10 AM   #20
Senior LCF Member

hello everyone !
i did it... i scrapped the filling from the pasta yesterday ! and no one noticed
so the food was pretty low carb, although the quantity of wine wasn't the scale went crazy this morning !

@chloeasha : I see we are pretty close, I am 5'4" as well, I decided to start a diet when i hit 140lbs and i'm aiming at 120-125lbs ... still 10-15lbs to go...
I'm lucky my boyfriend is super supportive, at least with him i don't feel i have to justify myself !

anyway, i'm going to a 2h zumba class right now !

have a good sunday everyone !!
Old 02-06-2011, 04:23 AM   #21

Good job on the lasagna, mdr! When I am at parties and social occasions, I find that most people do not even notice what someone else eats -- as long as you have a plate with food on it and a drink in your hand! I am glad it worked out for you!!! Well done!!!!

Pauline
Old 02-06-2011, 05:59 AM   #22
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
hello everyone !
i did it... i scrapped the filling from the pasta yesterday ! and no one noticed
so the food was pretty low carb, although the quantity of wine wasn't the scale went crazy this morning !

@chloeasha : I see we are pretty close, I am 5'4" as well, I decided to start a diet when i hit 140lbs and i'm aiming at 120-125lbs ... still 10-15lbs to go...
I'm lucky my boyfriend is super supportive, at least with him i don't feel i have to justify myself !

anyway, i'm going to a 2h zumba class right now !

have a good sunday everyone !!

My husband is also very supportive I ballooned all the way up to about 155-160lbs which was... wow... I did it after my husband immigrated back here with me (we were in Jordan for quite some time working--we met on the job because our univeristies paired together at mutual archaeological sites). Then, he started to cook. Oh no. Sooo much yummy rice and bread! LOL! And so much soda. He is 6'2" and he managed to stay under 170lbs. Me? Nope. I gained weight for the both of us!

My old goal was 120lbs and seriously, as long as I fit into my clothes I do not care. I'll fit around 125lbbs, but I remember when I was working out how awesome I looked and so I made that my goal. I stayed about 117lbs but was very toned.

Yay for being able to scrape without being noticed! And have fun at Zumba.
Old 02-06-2011, 11:29 AM   #23
Senior LCF Member

'evening people !

the zumba was soooo much fun ! finally a work out class i really enjoy ^^ i do have troubles moving my hands and feet at the same time but it's getting better !

today's menu :
B = protein pancakes
L = bean sprout & tofu kimchi wok
+ a protein drink before the zumba class
D = smoked salmon and spinach

good evening everyone
Old 02-06-2011, 11:29 PM   #24
Senior LCF Member

I usually don't mind mondays but this is definitely not starting well today !

I just finished my first 2 weeks on induction, respected the carb count and proteins and here i am, I went from 63,5 (140) to 60,7 (133) in the first week week and today... 62 (135) ... I feel i want to cry !
I guess i'm paying for this weekend's wine. But still, that's a lot for a few glasses!
I thought the zumba would have helped but not at all...

anyway, let's stay focus !

I need a piece of advice though ! do you think i should start adding carbs (from 20 to 25g) or wait a while ??

have a good monday everyone !!
Old 02-07-2011, 03:28 AM   #25

Annie I would wait a bit to add carbs **unless** you confine it to just adding more vegetables - having an extra 5 gm from more good lowcarb vegetables should not matter at all!

Remember, you also had tiramisu the other day. I would say 2 glasses of wine is a much smaller problem than eating sugar and white flour would be. I could also question the wheat bran and oat bran in your galette and pancakes. When I have time I'll look at my Rose Elliott book, but I have a feeling that those things are left for a little while. That said, I think a person could do fine and continue to lose weight using them if your body does tolerate them. Is that something you added in week 2? or did you also have it on week 1?

It is normal for people who have a big weight loss to have a little rebound afterward. The other thing to take into account is your cycle ... My weight will go up a 1-1.5 kg during certain times of month for no reason whatsoever .. if by chance you are having a little rebound + your cycle (pms), it could account for the weight and is very likely just water weight.

My advice, do not worry too much .. just keep going!!!!

Pauline
Old 02-07-2011, 03:32 AM   #26
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: spirilis
Stats: 265/230/200; 5'11"
WOE: N.Ketosis
Start Date: Dec 2010
I think everyone finds their weight fluctuates a fair amount week after week, so what I do is keep the jury out until the end of the week and compare the "lowest low" weight one week against the "lowest low" the next week, regardless what the scale says at the beginning & end of the weeks. also look at the "highest high" across the weeks too to see if you might be gaining some after all. I think that gives you a more intelligent view of your weight.
spirilis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 03:50 AM   #27
Senior LCF Member

Thank you Tada ! & Spirilis for your answers !

@Tada ! you are so right ! i totally forgot the tiramisu... that's would be a good explanation, added to the wine
about the bran, i've been eating it almost everyday for the past year, in replacement of bread. I don't know if you've hear of the Dukan diet, a french high protein LC diet. You have to eat bran everyday in that diet. Never did the diet -i think it's dangerous- but always loved the "galette dukan"
I changed the recipe so the carb count is lower (12g for a 2:1 oat/wheat ratio, 5g for a 1:2 ratio) and even though there's nothing in Rose Elliot's book about it she does introduce a bread recipe with wheat bran that works in phase 1 too... (I actually made it yesterday, it's good to have a slice for breakfast !)
I think i'm gonna take my carbs up as scheduled, but with vegetables only... fruits will wait !!
I should drink more water too, i might be under the compulsory 2 liters !

@Spirilis : you are very right too ^^ i made myself a little excel graph so i can see the downward trend more easily ! it is going down, but not as fast as i hoped... I should have known it though, with only 15lbs to loose...

Anyway, I just had a lovely tofu salad, a bit of cheese and i'll be just fine !
Old 02-07-2011, 04:02 AM   #28
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: spirilis
Stats: 265/230/200; 5'11"
WOE: N.Ketosis
Start Date: Dec 2010
ya it can be frustrating but at least it's going down... I have another 45lb to lose and this past week my lowest-low was only down 0.6lb. lol I am pretty sure last week was a stall week for me though. I made some changes (started eating big breakfasts) and think I'm on the way down again.
spirilis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 01:15 PM   #29
Senior LCF Member

bonsoir

today's menu :
B = Rose Elliot's LC bread with cheese
L = Tofu Salad
D = shirataki (miracle noodles) with "mentaiko sauce" which would be something like spicy cod roe sauce in english... believe me or not, it's delicious !

+ i did drink plenty of water !

i have the worst headache now so let's hope it's the ketosis kicking in !!

good night
Old 02-08-2011, 01:24 PM   #30
Senior LCF Member

Bonsoir Bonsoir,

today i did get my extra 5g ! as the scale went back down this morning i though it was ok...

B = LC bread with cheese
L = tuna with mayonaise & letuce
D = veggie mozza gratin & soya yogourt

sweet dreams and/or good afternoon !

*edit* add 1 little piece of dark choco to that

Last edited by annieS; 02-08-2011 at 01:39 PM..