Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Vegetarian
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-01-2011, 09:00 AM   #61
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: annieS
WOE: vegetarian/JUDDD
Start Date: january to march 2011 / 2nd start 16 feb 2012
Bonjour Josiane ! enchantée

Rose Elliott's book is amazing ! you should really read it !! (I got mine on amaz*n)
It's basically Atkins (she agrees on the 20g/day) with plenty of vege option ! The explanation are simple and clear, really easy to stick to !

There are some menu examples to help you for the 2 first weeks (that she calls the "carb cleanse"). but you have to know it might be hard to find some ingredients here in France. I don't know if you find tofu easily in Cannes but believe me, you'll need a lot !! (I get my regular tofu from chinese supermarket 1€35/500g and my "fancy" tofu from the magasin bio)

Anyway my advice would be to read the book, and to read Tada!'s thread on the subject :
How To LOWCARB As a Vegetarian (Some Basics for LC Veg in General and Atkins)
LOWCARB Vegetarian Cookbooks and Book Resources

Bon courage

Sponsored Links
Old 03-01-2011, 02:35 PM   #62
Senior LCF Member

today's menu :
B = 2 soft boiled eggs, a slice of LC bread
L = shirataki noodle & yogurt
afternoon snack = cheese
D = fried tofu + 3 glasses of wine (party time)

I might give a try to the JUDDD/LC approach... I really feel i'm eating too much/too fat with regular LC....
annieS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 02:21 AM   #63
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Josiane
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: 02/08/2011
Bonjour Annie,
merci de tes précieux conseils.
I have bought the book yesterday from amaz.. and will probably get it on Friday and I really look forward to read it.
As for Tofu we find a lot of differents brend here in Cannes. So no problem.
Now other question what is the JUDD/LC approach ?
Merci encore pour ton aide
Bonne journée
Josiane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 05:43 AM   #64
Senior LCF Member

Bonjour

I'm glad you ordered the book ! you'll see it's really good !

JUDDD is another "WOE" (way of eating). You can find infos about it on the "other plan" section of the forum. basically people who do regular JUDDD have Up Days (when they eat normally) and Down Days (when the restrict their calorie intake) and some of them do it accordingly to a Low Carb diet. That's what i'd like to try :
It seems to work well for them and I wondered if it could help me. I only have 4 or 5 kg left I want to lose and those are really stubborn kilos... So I though having some calorie restrictions might help...
It might be a mistake to try this but I really do feel I'm eating to much, I OD on cheese because it's "low carb" every couple days and this cannot be good !!!
Since my first week low carbing (when I shed 3 kg in a week) my weight almost didn't move, went up couple times so I'm giving this a try !! we'll see ...
Old 03-02-2011, 05:51 AM   #65
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Ailuros
WOE: Controlled carb, real food
Bonjour Annie, Josiane

JUDDD (Johnson Up Day Down Day) involves eating "normal" amounts of food one day and low calories the next day. I read some research that suggested it looked quite promising (for health as well as weight loss). There was a study in the 70s in Spain, where some elderly people in a home were fed that way for several years, and did well.

The reason I didn't try it very much was that (like Intermittent Fasting), I find that I immediately start to think that eating less is better, and that eating is bad - I could really see myself developing an eating disorder if I persevered, so I stopped it. If you don't respond that way, it might work well, and it has the advantage that if you have social events, you can arrange it so that they're on the "up" days.

Peut-être que je vais essayer en français la prochaine fois .

Last edited by Ailuros; 03-02-2011 at 06:28 AM..
Ailuros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 09:04 AM   #66
Junior LCF Member

Thanks Annie and Ailuros for this explanation. I went to have a look on the net and it looks quite interresting, and by the way Ailuros , your little french phrase is perfect.

Annie, I am also going to have a look here on the forum. But I think I am going to get first acquainted with the Low carb vegetarien way of eating. I know the normal Atkins way pretty well and I just wonder how we can eat low carb and being vegetarian.
I had a quick look at tada's but still think I will wait for the book to come before I start.
What do you eat for exemple at breakfast. That's my main problem with Atkins. I am not able to eat cheese (allergic to milk protein) , cannot eat eggs (digestive problem with it) and I don't see myself eating meat or "charcuterie" so early in the morning ........Yes say it..... Josiane you are a difficult person LOL
Tomorrow I won't be able to be here so I look forward to read you on friday, meanwhile

Bonne soirée
Old 03-02-2011, 09:20 AM   #67
Senior LCF Member

@Josiane : to answer your question about breakfast I am really "french" in the way that I can't have meat or veggie or anything like that for breakfast... I need something sweet or neutral. Unfortunately in the book most options are "english style" breakfast...
I usually have a little cheese (like St Moret or Emmental) with LC bread that I bake myself, it's high in protein so maybe you can have some bread with a little butter for exemple...
otherwise there's the "shake" option, but i'm not a big fan, plus it's really hard to find soya isolate here (I got mine from a british online store)

Anyway I think you should do as you said, give a try to regular vege LC and then you'll see ! but it definitely works
Old 03-02-2011, 09:38 AM   #68
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Thank you .

I think the reason I didn't manage to do LC as a veggie is that I don't like eggs or tofu. Then I found out that I really liked meat and it was all downhill from there .
Old 03-03-2011, 12:08 PM   #69
Senior LCF Member

hey there !
Today's menu was... messy !
Forgot my lunch box with good tofu at home so I had bad chicken (no vege option) at the cafetaria... stayed low carb though, kinda (I might have been closer to 30g...)

I was at 60,7 this morning, after a JUDDD down day ! let's hope it keeps on going down
Old 03-04-2011, 04:18 AM   #70
Junior LCF Member

hello Annie and Ailuros,
Thanks Ailuros for the "emoticones"
it is much nicer like that.

Annie, it's nice to be able to still stay Low carb even if you haven't had your lunch box.
My book arrived today. I am going to read it tonight and tomorrow, I will do some shopping to start on monday. I am like you Annie I really like breakfast the french way. I believe I have seen in yr post the LC bread recipe.
What do you think of ducan recipe for the "pain d'épices" Do you think I can go for it on breakfast too ?
Here is the recipe - in french sorry because I tried to translate but .... It is going to be too long as I have to seach for the english words - If this recipe does interest anyone, please let me know and I will translate it -
Pour 6 à 8 personnes, il vous faut : 8 CS de son d'avoine, 4 CS de son de blé, 2 CS de lait écrémé en poudre, 1 sachet de levure chimique, 6 CS de fromage blanc à 0%, 3 oeufs + 3 blancs, 2 CS de mélange d'épices pour pain d'épice (cannelle, anis, muscade, gingembre, girofle), 2 CS d'édulcorant liquide.cuire au four 45mn à 160°
It seems to me that everything is LC.
Do you know if how many carbs you find in oat bran and wheat bran ?
Thanks for your help
have a nice afternoon
Old 03-05-2011, 12:18 AM   #71
Senior LCF Member

Bonjour Josiane, bonjour everyone !

OMG. I'm dying ! yesterday I went to a bar with my classmates, stayed from 7pm to 1am, drank 4 or 5 glasses of wine but I did not have dinner
I felt drunk of course but not "so" drunk but today, as i woke i feel i'm dying ! you know that feeling when you are so hungry you want to throw up ?! well, that's me...
let's hope the sickness goes away !!

Josiane, I'm afraid the Dukan recipes aren't low carb. wheat bran is ok but oat bran's carb is too high. I don't remember the number but it's really high. plus you have to add the carbs from the fromage blanc...

Instead you could make flax bread : you mix 1 egg, 2 tablespoon of flax meal (graines de lin moulues) a little baking powder and 1 tablespoon of olive oil (half water half oil works too). you leave it for 2 or 3 minutes and then either you cook it in a microwave (2 minutes in a thick bowl - in a tupperw*re it wouldn't work, don't know why !) or you can bake it, 10-15mn at 180° (i usually sprinkle poppy seed on top before i bake it)

Have a nice weekend everyone !
Old 03-05-2011, 12:42 AM   #72
Junior LCF Member

Thanks Annie, for all your nice advise and recipe. I will try to find some flax meal today.
Have a nice week end too and nice week end to all who read this message . Will talk to you again on Monday.
Old 03-05-2011, 12:50 AM   #73
Senior LCF Member

for the flax meal i buy flax see in my magasin bio then I ground then at home, little by little ! you'll see you can make a lot with them, including muffin & pizza !
Old 03-06-2011, 04:42 AM   #74
Senior LCF Member

hello everyone !
I just wanted to share with you today's desert : super low carb coffee jelly !
I made it with agar & stevia, and topped it with a little simple cream... delicious !

Last edited by annieS; 03-06-2011 at 04:43 AM..
Old 03-06-2011, 12:10 PM   #75
Senior LCF Member

Good evening !

Today's menu was :
B = LC pancake with cheese
L = some meat (don't know the english for it) and lettuce + zero cal coffee jelly
D = LC tortilla (juste came up with a recipe !) with shrimp & veggies
I might have one more coffee jelly as I watch an old Audrey Hepburn movie !!

I had a 2 hours zumba class this afternoon, it's so good !! I love it !
Old 03-06-2011, 12:13 PM   #76
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

The coffee jelly looks cute!

I'm intrigued by the nameless meat .
Old 03-06-2011, 12:18 PM   #77
Senior LCF Member

well it was "civet de sanglier" ...
how would you say that

wild-boar stew ??!
Old 03-06-2011, 12:34 PM   #78
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Wild-boar stew would be a good translation, though maybe we'd be more likely to say casserole, and use stew for more conventionally English ingredients. It sounds good anyway .
Old 03-06-2011, 12:36 PM   #79
Senior LCF Member

It definitely was... the sauce is made with wine, and i think nothing else
when grandpa goes hunting she makes tons of it, and stock them in airless containers she gives us !

She does the same with ducks, magret and confit ... ahhhh
Old 03-06-2011, 12:41 PM   #80
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Please will you give me her address ? I think I need to make friends with your grandma!
Old 03-06-2011, 11:24 PM   #81
Senior LCF Member

Old 03-06-2011, 11:40 PM   #82
Junior LCF Member

Hello Annie, Hello Ailuros,

Your coffee jelly looks yummy

How was your week end Annie, Ailuros ? Annie I bought the CD of Zumba But for the moment I was unable to try as I have huge knee problem. It does look good and as I love this type of dancing I look forward the time when I will be able to do some Zumba to exercice.
The doctor says in about 6 to 7 months. Will see.
Unfortunately to get better, I learn on Friday that I have to undergo an operation that they called an osteotomy on my right leg. My knee is all right but I have x legs and they have to put my right leg straight (Jee.... it is difficult to explain in english ...... Mind you it is a good exercice )
the operation is programmed on the 30th of March, after that I will stay 3 weeks in a special home (recovery home ?????) and will be at home for 4 months. I won't be able to put my leg on the floor for two months.

As I will never be able to do LC in hospital and in the recovery home, I think the best thing for me is to get acquainted with the JUDDD program. That is easier to follow don't you think ? At least I won't put on weight in hospital.
I started today with a protein shake this morning. I will continue with a protein soup midday and same tonight.
As I am not able to move a lot (walking is very difficult so exercice is impossible) I am only allowed 385 calories on my DD day and 1845 calories on my UD.
I am so glad that by looking at the LC forum I found the JUDDD.

Have a nice day
Old 03-07-2011, 01:42 AM   #83
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I had a pretty quiet weekend, Josiane, partly because I wanted to take it easy to get over the flu I had last week, and partly because there was a half-marathon here on Sunday, so it was pretty much impossible to get anywhere, because they close all the roads for it.

Your leg surgery sounds major! Do you know when it will be done?
Old 03-07-2011, 03:43 AM   #84
Junior LCF Member

Hello Ailuros,

I am curious, Are you living in Paris ? because there was a half marathon on the week end there if I am not mistaken.

As for my leg surgery, it will be on the 30/03. It's not apparently a difficult surgery but just annoying because they have to cut the bone to change it's aligment and that's why it is taking so long to recover.
Old 03-07-2011, 03:47 AM   #85
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

No, I'm in England - I think it's just the season when people are getting out running after the winter, so there are lots of races at the moment.

You'll have a busy month getting prepared to manage after the operation. I hope things are much better afterwards.
Old 03-07-2011, 09:02 AM   #86
Junior LCF Member

Annnnnnnnnnnniiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiieeeeeeeeeeeeeeee eeee, where are you

I had my JUDDD first two powder proteined meals. For the moment I am not hungry just a bit
how can I say .... frustrated is too strong a word so just a bit "grumpy" .....
I would really prefer to eat real food. Do you think I can do it even on the first 2 weeks ? what did you do Annie for your first try ?
I know I should go and ask my question on the JUDDD forum .... but I am a little bit shy

Have a nice evening
Old 03-07-2011, 11:41 AM   #87
Senior LCF Member

no worries Josiane, I'm here !!!

I'm having my DD supper : a mug of zucchini soup (the bio one from C*rref*ur, really low cal, low carb and quite good !)

to answer your question I don't use much proteined meals. Mostly because they all have a lot of calories. As you know the ones they sell here are intended to be meal replacement, so they are always around 200 cal. I do have protein soup (the g*yelorde ha*ser one, 70cal/serving, 15g proteins) and i just bought their caramel flavoured cream (the one they sell i a big tub, 13 servings or something) it's 70cal too. i'll try it for breakfast tomorrow !
Otherwise I eat "real" food, it helps me feeling "normal" !! (and i can feed my boyfriend too !!)
today i had
B = soft boiled egg
L = lettuce with tuna & egg & 0% cheese + coffee jelly
D = soup
I'm at 350 cal so far, but I might have a little snack later

And Josiane, don't be shy, come & ask your question on the JUDDD thread ! the girls are really cheerful & helpful !!!
Old 03-07-2011, 11:37 PM   #88
Junior LCF Member

Good morning All,

Annie when I was saying that I had protein meals, it was just protein powder at 92% diluted in water with some flavour (I have a stock of the one recommended by Ducan, Pati.....) But you give me some ideas of what I can choose. Thank you.
Did you like the caramel flavoured cream. I love it!
Today is my UD.
and you are right, today at midday I am going to introduce myself to the JUDDD group.

Ailuros, how are you today ?

Have a very nice day, whoever read this message
Old 03-07-2011, 11:44 PM   #89
Senior LCF Member

Bonjour Bonjour

So you gave a try to Dudu ?? I've always been really scared by this diet. I don't have much to loose so I knew it would be stupid to start it, but I always wonder how it really goes... great loss and greater rebound maybe ??!

I have to admit I didn't like the caramel cream so much... I should have bought the chocolate one ... But it's a big tub, so I have plenty to eat !!

Have a nice day everyone

PS : Tada ! where are you ???!
Old 03-08-2011, 12:14 AM   #90
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Bonjour. I'm pleased to see the sunshine again this morning. In a few minutes I'm going out to meet a young French woman for coffee and to practise my French - she is living over here for a year.