Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Vegetarian
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-06-2011, 03:37 PM   #1
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Strawberry
Favorite veggie "sausage", "hamburger", "bacon", or other meat substitue

List your favorite products and brands!

Also, if you tried somethat that tasted BAD or not-so-good... discuss it here too, so the rest of us wont waste our money!

* darn it, I cant edit the title.... thats supposed to be meat substituTe
Strawberry is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-18-2011, 01:22 PM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Danceruk
Stats: at goal
WOE: hhcg
Start Date: Atkins August 2008 down 45lb/VLC/HCG
I use Quorn products

Sausages, Mince & Steaks ...really helped when I did Atkins first time!
Danceruk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 04:30 PM   #3
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: chloeasha
Stats: 160/135/117
WOE: cutting out refined things
Start Date: June 2009
Hmmm. I like Smartground for tacos sometimes (although quite often I'll just have them completely free of any meat-ish product or chicken), and I have a baked dish that I sometimes put Gimme lean sausage into (but I make that like once every 2 years lol). I also have eaten and liked Quorn Nuggets. Mostly, though, I honestly am not into fake meat. With the exception of the Quorn nuggets which taste like my old elementary school food, none of them taste like actual meat to me. I just like them for their own flavor and texture.
chloeasha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 03:27 PM   #4
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Nigel
I use boca burgers and boca crumbles and TVP.

My secret to making great boca burgers is to add fresh cilantro and fry them up in bacon until they get a crisp going. Then top them with jalepeno cheese. I fry them up in butter unless I make cilantro butter, then I use that. They are also pretty good on the bbq.

I also make a faux meat from a recipe on here using the TVP and chia seeds. It's very good for a hamburger meat (ground) substitute.
Nigel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 11:09 PM   #5
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: ihugtrees
Stats: too high/still high/comfortable
WOE: ovo-lacto vegetarian (exploring low-carb)
Start Date: today
Boca burgers, no question.

Yves Pepperoni has a nice flavor and, for the low calories, is a great option to throw onto some last minute "pizza" (I like to make mine on a low carb wrap or there's a recipe on my blog for one with baked eggplant slices)

Morningstar Chick'n Strips are ok, although not my favorite. The only thing by Morningstar I really like are the sausage patties. The Morningstar burgers span from not worth the calories/carbs to downright disgusting

IMO, everything Lightlife sucks and is WAY too salty/slimy, but that might just be me.

Quorn is ok, but I'd rather have plain mushrooms. As far as I know, they're the only one with a chicken breast, so it's nice to have that option sometimes.

VeggiePatch Meatballs are pretty decent as well

Gardein stuff has good texture, but the flavor is always off and their products are always greasy, which is a personal pet peeve of mine
ihugtrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 03:40 PM   #6
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: TaDa!
Stats: 236.5 /132.5/ 128-133 @5'3"
WOE: Atkins Maintenance (Vegetarian + Fish)
Start Date: 6/03 & Goal! 5/06
I guess there are some products I like too, but like chloesha, am not into fake meat per se. If it tries to resemble meat, as in animal flesh products, too much, it grosses me out, lol! and the ones I do use .. well, I haven't eaten meat since I was a child .. 30+ years ago, so I couldn't even tell anyone how it compares to actual meat, only if the taste is pleasing to me.

OK, after all that disclaimer, I like:

Morningstar veggie sausage patties (very low carbs - dh thinks they do taste like meat)
Boca Grillers Original (very low carbs)
Morningstar Black Bean Burgers (moderate carb .. Mexican taste, probably does not emulate meat ..)

hth!

Pauline

p.s. ihugtrees, I do like Lightlife Tempeh very much. It is not meat substiutute really, but if you like tempeh (a fermented soybean patty), it is wonderful! Just be careful to read the carb counts, as over the years they have added new types to the line and now have some that include grain products in them. I have found the soy, or "original" tempeh and the veggie tempeh to be good for lowcarb. If you slice it thinly and fry it in olive oil, serve with soy sauce, it can be delicious in a BLT-style "sandwich" if you use lowcarb bread, pitas, or make your own things like oopsies, etc etc..

Stats: 47 Years Old & 5'3" tall
Weight: 236.5 (43 bmi) / 132.5 / 128-133 (size 4/6 .. 23 bmi)

*Weekly Weigh-In 7/10/12

My Journal
Year One Weightloss and Chart
My Weightloss Story
TaDa! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 11:08 AM   #7
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaDa! View Post
I guess there are some products I like too, but like chloesha, am not into fake meat per se. If it tries to resemble meat, as in animal flesh products, too much, it grosses me out, lol! and the ones I do use .. well, I haven't eaten meat since I was a child .. 30+ years ago, so I couldn't even tell anyone how it compares to actual meat, only if the taste is pleasing to me.

OK, after all that disclaimer, I like:

Morningstar veggie sausage patties (very low carbs - dh thinks they do taste like meat)
Boca Grillers Original (very low carbs)
Morningstar Black Bean Burgers (moderate carb .. Mexican taste, probably does not emulate meat ..)

hth!

Pauline

p.s. ihugtrees, I do like Lightlife Tempeh very much. It is not meat substiutute really, but if you like tempeh (a fermented soybean patty), it is wonderful! Just be careful to read the carb counts, as over the years they have added new types to the line and now have some that include grain products in them. I have found the soy, or "original" tempeh and the veggie tempeh to be good for lowcarb. If you slice it thinly and fry it in olive oil, serve with soy sauce, it can be delicious in a BLT-style "sandwich" if you use lowcarb bread, pitas, or make your own things like oopsies, etc etc..
Do you steam the tempeh first or just slice it and cook it right out of the package?
Old 03-13-2011, 12:29 PM   #8

Hi Nigel, I have never steamed it. I have seen recipes for that .. but I am partial to things fried crispy-ish in olive oil .. including tofu, lol! I just slice the tempeh and pan fry it in oil.

It has a more nutty flavor and a different texture than tofu -- and gives a different flavor to stir fry if you choose to use it like that with a teriyaki or a hoisin sauce. When I use it for a "sandwich" and only use soy sauce, it is a much saltier flavor .. not having eaten bacon in 30+ years, you will have to take this with a huuuuuge grain of salt, but I often like it in places where one would use bacon ..

You will get slightly different flavor by slicing it different thicknesses too I find. You may want to google it a bit to find other ways of using it ... I started using it when I was very young and had to fend for myself as far as eating and so my experience is more the result of my own cococtions and a very little work with the old 70s cookbooks, lol .. that'd be my disclaimer!

hth!

Pauline

Last edited by TaDa!; 03-13-2011 at 12:30 PM..
Old 03-14-2011, 04:04 PM   #9
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Thanks Pauline. I have tried tempeh, but I steamed it first and it had a sort of bitterish flavor that I didn't really care for, but I'll try it again your way. I really want to like this stuff since its pre-made.
Old 03-16-2011, 05:02 AM   #10

Nigel, I think you'll find it still has a weird sort of "twang" to it .. Like tofu, the flavor grows on you. I think I would not like it steamed for the same reason you mention. It is worth a try stirfried in oil though. One other thing, I always have a sauce with it of some sort. Soy sauce is too plain I find if I am just eating it as a stir-fry or "by itself". If I only use soy sauce, I am making it into sandwich innards to be eaten with veggies, etc ..

Hope that makes sense, lol!!!!!!!! prolly not .. lol!!!
Old 03-16-2011, 10:20 AM   #11
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Yes, it does make sense. Thank you for the help/info. I'll post once I try it again.
Old 03-20-2011, 11:20 AM   #12
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: yumi2
WOE: South Beach
Start Date: 6 March 2011
Quorn, without question. They aren't really a mushroom, but more like the blue streaks in blue cheese. It's a mould. I know people bang on about it being related to mushrooms, but that's a bit like saying that a dog is related to an eel because they are in the same kingdom of classification. Once you get over the idea of that, Quorn is awesome. I still make mushrooms as "burgers". My husband won't eat Quorn because he's seen it made, so I eat it with my lunches, mostly.

I don't do soy, but I do eat moderate amounts of other beans. We have a really good company called "Goodlife" here which makes pretty good nut and bean burgers. They tend to be a bit carbier than soy products (like the nut burger has around 14 g of carbs per patty), but they are really nice when you just want something easy.
yumi2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 06:09 AM   #13
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: pendragginp
All of this information is so helpful. I'm just starting to try a *vegetarian* low carb eating plan after being on and off regular low carb for years. It's time to get back on again, and trying vegetarian has been nagging at the back of my brain, so I'm ready to see how it goes. Thank you for all this help! Is there a vegetarian low carb cookbook you know of that's good?
pendragginp is offline   Reply With Quote