Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Vegetarian (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/vegetarian/)
-   -   TaDa (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/vegetarian/701401-tada.html)

mattie jo 12-08-2010 10:29 AM

TaDa

Hi,

I was told that you could help. I believe I have celiac since I can't digest wheat even if off it for a long time. I am a vegetarian and trying to figure out how to eat without grains. I don't do soy either, and that would make a big difference. I have low thyroid and am also trying to lose weight. I like rice, but if it causes one to gain weight, then I am nowhere.

i am just not sure if i am eating a balanced diet.

my diet is this:

2 eggs
banana
kefir
handful of berries
orange
coconut oil

and that is my smoothie in the morning.

then i get hungry soon.

i eat cheese, apple, nuts, dates

and then i am still hungry.

lately i have been making a prtein drink from egg whites, and that is expensive and not filling.

i have tried amy's veggie dinners which are expensive but have soy.

i bought some rice crackers that help.

i thought to just scramble eggs for dinner.

and then i got some brown rice puffed cereal, but that is like eating air.

i have a hard time with beans, but that may be my only other choice.

Thank you.

mattie jo 12-08-2010 11:32 AM

p.s. i also drink milk and juice with carrots, celery, parsley and garlic on the days that i remember to do so.

TaDa! 12-10-2010 04:28 AM

Hi Mattie,

I am having an insane week and weekend and will be on in dribs and drabs only, but wanted to help you, so here it is. feel free to let me know what else is going on and I will do my best to help out:

So if I understand right, you are not trying to lose weight? and you are doing moderate carb? if that is so you have a lot open to you other than lowcarb options. I have written a thread on how to lowcarb as a vegetarian, here and I do mention what proteins there are for those who so not eat soy:

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/ve...al-atkins.html

In your position, I would up my intake of nuts and seeds and maybe try out quorn or wheat seitan -- but even that is unnecessary, you can concentrate on eggs, dairy, nuts, seeds, and vegetables (which also have protein in them -- see below)

But first of all, you should know that the guidelines for protein only require that, for good health, you get 50-55 gm of protein as an adult female (see below). Look below, if you eat two eggs and a cup of yogurt, you have fulfilled half of your daily protein requirement - add a serving of nuts and a lot of vegetables such as a vegetarian might eat and you are getting the proper amount of protein. I am thinking your issue is not about protein, but about that + not really eating lower carb ... the rice and banana could be contributing to hunger ... You might want to consider going lower carb and upping your fats to help with hunger in the same way everyone else does on lowcarb - add coconut oil, butter, avocado, etc etc. If you want to do non-soy lowcarb vegetarian, the link I posted to you above should have everything in it you need.

Following is information on protein and foods with proteins. I did a lecture on vegetarian protein and needs for a group I belong to and this is the handout I gave. Most importantly, you should know that Protein is in many more places for a vegetarian than just eggs and soy and it is very simple to get an adequate amount. If you are lowcarbing, the percentages would be higher, but as you are eating carbier foods - bananas, rice, etc, that would not be for you really - the 50-55 gm amount should be adequate:

How To Get a Little Vegetarian into Your Diet …

VEGETARIAN PROTEINS

Nuts and Seeds – Almonds, Sunflower Seeds, Peanut Butter (technically a legume)

Dairy – Eggs, Cheese, Yogurt, Milk, Whey protein powder (and shakes)*

Beans – Lentils, Chickpeas, Beans of all kinds, Hummus Spread

Grains – Bread, Rice, Wheat Seitan (a/k/a “Wheat Meat”)*

Soy and Vegetable Protein –Veggieburgers, Soy Crumbles, Tofu*, Tempeh,* Textured Vegetable Protein (TVP)*

RECOMMENDED PROTEIN LEVELS
Based on the “Reference Nutrient Intakes for Protein” which replaced the RDA

Women (age 15-49) ~45 gm Men (age 15-49) ~55 gm

Women (age 50+) ~50 gm Men (age 50+) ~53 gm

Women (pregnant) 51 gm Children (age 7-10) ~28 gm

Women (lactating) 53-56 gm Children (age 11-14) ~42 gm

VEGETARIAN PROTEIN VALUES

Soy, Nuts, Beans

Almonds (1/4c) 6 gm

Peanut Butter (2T) 8 gm

Veggieburger (soy) 15 gm

Red Beans (1 cup) 12 gm

Hummus (1/4 cup) 4 gm

Dairy

Milk – all kinds (1 cup) 8 gm

Yogurt (1 cup/8 oz) 12 gm

Amer. Cheese (slice) 4 gm

Cheddar Cheese ( 1/4 c) 7 gm

Eggs (2 large) 12 gm

Egg Whites (2 large) 8 gm

Grains

Special K Cereal (1 c) 6 gm

Whole Wheat Bread (2 slices) 8 gm

White Bread (2 slices) 4 gm

Rice (1 cup) 4-5 gm

Pasta (2 oz dry) 7-8 gm

Veggies

Broccoli (1 c chopped) 6 gm

Peas (1 cup) ~8 gm

Spinach (a salad bag) 6 gm

Corn (1 ear) 4.5 gm

Vegetarian Proteins*

Wheat Seitan (4 oz) 23 gm -- this is: non-soy

Quorn (4 oz) 23 gm -- this is: non-soy

(Soy Tofu (4 oz) 10 gm )

(Soy Tempeh (4 oz) 16 gm )

(Soy TVP (1/4c) 12 gm)

(I took out the commercial products section and "easy meals" section as they addressed people who eat soy and eat high carb and included pasta, etc.)

hth!!!

Pauline

TaDa! 12-10-2010 05:10 AM

I saw your posts over on the Thyroid board and realize you wish to lose weight .. I posted this over there and I think it is the crux of your issue - not the vegetarianism ...

Thyroid thread: http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/th...-weight-2.html

Quote:

Originally Posted by mattie jo (Post 14151242)
....I lost weight on the atkins diet once, but now I can't lose the ten lbs. i wish to lose.

i am a vegetarian and have gluten problems. I eat some brown rice but not much. some corn bread but not much. but i have a feeling i have to be strick, too strick for my own life enjoyment.

i feel like i am basically living off eggs, 1 percent milk, nuts, some cheese, fruit and kefir. but then i had whole grained brown puffed rice and homemade cornbread, but then i don't eat much when i had it.

i just got off 3 percent milk and ice cream that wasn't helping, but i have not lost a pound. and i quit eating homemade cheese enchildadas made with corn tortillas. maybe that will help too.

i am short, so 10 lbs makes me heavy.

hard to do the atkins diet when you don't eat meat.

Hi Mattie!!! Hi Pam!!!

... I bolded a section in your post above and I think the problem you are having is not about trying to do Atkins as a vegetarian - you have great non-soy proteins available to you (see the link for pointers to information on these):

Quorn, Seitan, Eggs, Dairy, Nuts and seeds (which should not be underestimated!!!!), as well as vegetables which contain good amounts of protein.

I think your issue with trying to lose 10 pounds is that you are neither doing lowfat calorie counting, higher carb, nor are you doing a specific lowcarb plan. You specifically say you are concerned about your "enjoyment" and I think that is the crux of the issue. Corn bread, corn tortillas, rice, bananas, 1% milk are not lowcarb **weightloss** items. I think you need to pick a plan. You can do Atkins as a vegetarian, but if those food items = enjoyment, then you will not enjoy it.

I see a lot of people say they cannot lowcarb as vegetarians, but it is untrue. They do not wish to do what it takes to lowcarb as a vegetarian. So, they either highcarb it and say they could not lc, or they start to eat meat and do lc and lose weight and say vegetarianism is for fatties .. but neither thing is true.

You can lose weight on lowcarb vegetarian diet and it is even in the newest Atkins book New Atkins For A New You with specific guidelines. I think, in life, people do what they *want* to do and then justify it. A lot of people kid themselves that they are heavy due to reasoning beyond their control .. and in the case of hypothyroid, there certainly is a challenge to overcome, but what you decide to do on a daily basis can help you overcome the challenge - or at least head in that right direction, or it can stagnate you in the situation you find yourself in today.

I would put some serious serious thought into what it is you want, etc. It is a problem we all face at some time - hypothyroid, meat-eater, non meat-eater alike. I hope what I say isn't too harsh .. You can do whatever you wish to do as far as diet and lowcarb successfully even without soy as a vegetarian, but you have to decide what you want to do (in your place, I might consider South Beach!!! which may give you more whole grains faster than Atkins would)

Pam ... I loved your orginal post and can say that - with the exception of not eating soy - that is exactly how I lost weight and now maintain my weight. the whole induction and "vlc" bias is just "strictness" for the sake of strictness for most of those on it and totally unecessary to the vast majority of people who wish to lose some weight. When we have other self-imposed or medically necessary restrictions, going that route is just foolhardy as the chances of being able to do it are very slim!!! great post!!!!!!

Mattie ... I know you can get to a good place, but it will take you a lot of thinking and soul-searching ...

:love:

Pauline

mattie jo 12-10-2010 05:18 AM

Thank you so much TaDa and for taking the time to write. I am trying to lose 10 lbs as well. As soon as I get rid of the bananas I will cut them out and stop on the rice. I believe I have a gluten intolerence, so I have cut that out. will also cut out other grains. and i don't do soy due to my thyroid issues.

i see what you are saying about carbs causing hunger. i was on a low carb diet once and over the weeks i kept eating less and less because i wasn't hungry. now i see why.

if two eggs and 1 c. of yogurt are half the protein, then i can see that i can get enough since i drink milk and can add two more eggs. I like your idea of eating more nuts. I have a hard time with beans, but i do like garbanzo beans.

I knew that sugar made one hungry but didn't know about high carbs doing it. this has been a wealth of information. Thanks again and hope you have a better week.

TaDa! 12-10-2010 09:57 AM

No problem Mattie! The protein requirements above are for "health" not necessarily for lowcarb, but that said .. eating the quantity you are eating, lowering the carbs down to a more lc weightloss level - like say 25-40 net carbs - and making the difference up, by adding FAT in your day will probably get you on the weightloss path ...

Make those 25-40 carbs vegetables, yogurt, nuts, eggs and quorn or seitan (if you *want*) and you will be lc'ing Atkins-style. You may even be able to go up from that carb level .. I keep hunger at bay all the way up to 70 net carbs!! even though I can lose weight on even high carbs ..

Feel free to pick my brain!! But really the best thing you can do for yourself is to pick a plan and then within the confines of the plan, you eliminate your "unwanteds":

Soy, Meat, Gluten

I have a child with severe food allergies and have really managed amazingly well with her, and the vegetarianism, etc (I only eat fish once a month or even less sometimes). You just have to decide what your priorities are and add that to the list of things you must do to eat for your vegetarianism, hyothyroid condition and gluten intolerance. I know you can find a palatable way to eat, but you have to pick a weightloss method that works.

:hugs:

Pauline

mattie jo 12-10-2010 12:25 PM

i am at a point now where maybe it doesn't matter if i enjoy it or not. ha.

easy to give up the rice but i sure like fried bananas. my smoothies may be somewhat sour without them but i will get used to it. i don't always eat fried bananas so i will adjust.

quorn or seitan never heard of these or how to use them so will check it out.

i am amazed that i have been able to say no to wheat products for maybe two months, and oh how i loved sweet rolls, bread, etc.

i think i have choosen a lot of high carb fruits to eat as well, such as dates and bananas. as my storehouse of food runs out my diet will be better. my last amy's tv dinner with rice in it goes tonight. the gluten free bread goes to the birds. that stuff was horrible. i did plan to make lebkuchen cookies with rice flour this year since i love them so much but they won't last long when i do, and that will end my rice flour mix.

thanks for your help.

Strawberry 12-12-2010 07:04 PM

I dont think seitan would be good for someone with celiac disease.... its made of wheat protein.

Try making some cauliflower based "rice"
Linda's Low Carb Menus & Recipes
(the egg scrambled in there addes extra protein too!)

Have you tried Quinoa? Its a gluten free grain that is also high in protein. Its kinda like cous cous, in terms of size and texture.

Shiratake noodes are a slightly rubbery gluten free noodle used in Asian style dishes. They are made from the konjac root, and are also super low in calories, making them good for dieters

Here is a recipe for lowcarb mock "cornbread", using white beans and almond flour (which you can either buy, or make by grinding up blanched almonds in the foot processor)
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/so...cornbread.html

Almond flour can also be used to make some breads. Due to the coarse texture of the flour, it makes for a very dense moist hearty bread. But its perfect for muffins and things like pumpkin bread or banana bread.