Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Vegetarian
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-14-2010, 08:38 PM   #1
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Strawberry
Vegetarian Harvest Stew Recipe

This is my imitation of Soup Plantations/Sweet Tomatoes "vegetarian harvest soup"... using some inspiration from the Pumpkin Sausage Soup
Linda's Low Carb Menus & Recipes (which you could make vegetarian with the imitation sausage products available).

The inspiration is that you can use canned pumpkin or pureed butternut squash (I found it in cans at Whole foods!) to thicken soup into a rich stew-like consistency.

Sorry, no exact measurements here...

VEGETARIAN HARVEST STEW

Sautee celery, onions, carrots in olive oil or butter.
Add in some chopped garlic and lightly cook.

Pour in vegetarian broth (I used Swansons vegetable broth, the best tasting in my opinion)

Mix in some pureed butternut squash or canned pumpkin to thicken.

Add in veggies - I used zucchini, yellow squash, green beans, cauliflower, and fresh tomatoes chopped up.

I added some chickpeas for heartiness (optional if you are doing weight loss phases of lowcarb.
(At Sweet Tomatoes, they add red beans, rice, and diced potatoes as well. Many other veggies would work here too!)

Season with a dash of cinnamon, dash of sweet paprika, dash of dried basil, and a bay leaf.

Simmer about 30-45 minutes.

Enjoy the thick, rich warm goodness!!

Note: Canned pumpkin, the listed veggies -celery, onions, carrots, garlic, zucchini, yellow squash, green beans, cauliflower, and fresh tomatoes, and vegetable broth are all appropriate for induction and weight loss phases of Atkins. Just leave out the chickpeas!

Last edited by Strawberry; 11-14-2010 at 08:45 PM..
Strawberry is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 11-17-2010, 05:15 PM   #2
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: TaDa!
Stats: 236.5 /132.5/ 128-133 @5'3"
WOE: Atkins Maintenance (Vegetarian + Fish)
Start Date: 6/03 & Goal! 5/06
So weird Strawberry! I bought this huge piece of pre-cut hubbard squash (looked like a large green pumpkin), crockpotted it with an Indian Curry tomato base, smushed the squash so my oldest who is the most annoying fussy vegetarian who ever roamed the face of the earth would eat it and not spy the squash ... added carrots, broccoli, sauteed onions, green and red peppers, and then fried tofu .. and the squash made a nice stew-y consistency!!!

lol!!! Maybe I was channeling your recipe? because it was totally spur of the moment that I decided to smush the squash when I realized that big dd would pick it out of her portion (she kills me!!), lol!

Anyhow, I was amazed by the great texture and started to imagine all the things I could sub it into in place of potato .....

Stats: 47 Years Old & 5'3" tall
Weight: 236.5 (43 bmi) / 132.5 / 128-133 (size 4/6 .. 23 bmi)

*Weekly Weigh-In 7/10/12

My Journal
Year One Weightloss and Chart
My Weightloss Story
TaDa! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 06:28 PM   #3
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Strawberry
Mmmmmmmmmmmm!! I love the idea of using the squash as a base for the curry! I'm going to try your recipe! It is really cool what a great thickener pureed squash or pumpkin is!
Strawberry is offline   Reply With Quote