Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Vegetarian
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-07-2010, 06:45 PM   #1
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: toomuchbooty
Lebanese Cauliflower

This is the most simple dish, but it is an incredible way to transform cauliflower. I hated cauliflower before I had it this way.

All you do is deep fry cauliflower in vegetable oil. You want to get it super duper brown. It will be on the cusp of burning brown. Rest it on some paper towel to drain excess oil. Squeeze lemon juice on top and salt it to taste. Serve it with tahini.

This is my favourite dish at the local Lebanese place. I first had it when they catered my friend's wedding and have been obsessed ever since.

The florets get deliciously crispy. It should be brown like this picture:

Back from Zambia! Pictures on my blog.
toomuchbooty is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 11-07-2010, 09:58 PM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: momof3heathens
Stats: 388/315/150
WOE: Atkins/JUDDD/IF?
Start Date: Always a startdate
Looks good.

There is new Labanese restaurant here in Victoria. I thinks its like a take out joint. I would like to try it but have no idea what if anything might be lowcarb. Hopefully they serve something like this. Do you know the lebanese name for the dish?
momof3heathens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 04:48 AM   #3

Gallery: TaDa!
Stats: 236.5 /132.5/ 128-133 @5'3"
WOE: Atkins Maintenance (Vegetarian + Fish)
Start Date: 6/03 & Goal! 5/06
That looks really good Toomuch! I've never had that! and I lived over that way for a number of years .. any vegetable deep fried sounds great to me, lol!

momof3 .. Some items you might find that would be lowcarb(ish) would be:

lowcarb vegetarian:
*Falafel tahini, and chopped vegetables minus the pita: Fried balls of chickpea flour with a sesame sauce (Atkins OWL legume level - chickpeas and/or fava beans)
*Baba Ghanoush: a cold eggplant salad made with tahini
*Hummus minus the pita (Atkins OWL legume level - chickpeas and/or fava beans)
*Fried eggplant: Eggplant dipped in egg and fried .. yum!
*Pickled vegetables: Pickled in a vinegar with turmeric. Really yummy!
*Olives: How could I forget the beautiful olives??!!! Garlic Syrian are my fave, lol! A lot of times these are homemade, or home cured.

With the exception of the all-vegetable dishes, the lowcarb vegetarian stuff is really moderate carb as it uses legumes as the protein pretty much. Personally I would not find it a good lowcarb choice unless I was at that level and willing to bring in my own lowcarb pita or lavash and substitute it in the dishes.

higher carb vegetarian
*Tabouleh: salad of chopped parsley cucumber, tomato, mint and wheat bulgur .. small amount of wheat really
*Stuffed grapeleaves: oh yum yum yum!!!!!
*Bourekas: To Die For!!!! Flaky Filo-type pastry filled with a white cheese, mushrooms or spinach (but usually cheese)
*Shakshouka: North African but served sometimes at Lebanese restaurants. I love this. it's like a fried egg in tomato sauce on top of a bed of rice
*Madjadara: Moroccan but served sometimes at Lebanese restaurants. I also love this, lol! lentils, rice and fried onions.
*Vegetarian "Mezze:" a meal of appetizers, sometimes you can get a whole vegetarian one. generally it is meat and vegetarian unless you ask!
*Desserts: Sugary desserts with a lot of nuts! (good protein source), and milk-based desserts

Lowcarb Meateaters:
*Shwarma: minus the bread wrap (same thing as Gyros in Greece, shaved spiced meat)

hahahahaha All the other meat-based dishes I can think of are highcarb .. but I know there are some plain meat dishes like we would have in restaurants here too -- but with nice spices, etc.

Stats: 47 Years Old & 5'3" tall
Weight: 236.5 (43 bmi) / 132.5 / 128-133 (size 4/6 .. 23 bmi)

*Weekly Weigh-In 7/10/12

My Journal
Year One Weightloss and Chart
My Weightloss Story

Last edited by TaDa!; 11-08-2010 at 04:59 AM..
TaDa! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 07:22 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by momof3heathens View Post
Looks good.

There is new Labanese restaurant here in Victoria. I thinks its like a take out joint. I would like to try it but have no idea what if anything might be lowcarb. Hopefully they serve something like this. Do you know the lebanese name for the dish?
At the place I get it in Vancouver, it's called Najib's special...so I don't know the real name. On the menu it's described as crispy cauliflower.

You should check out the menu for Nuba in Vancouver. That is the restaurant and it has a lot of descriptions of the types of food. I'm sure you can find something to eat at the Victoria restaurant.
Old 11-08-2010, 10:47 AM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: toogood
OMG that looks sooo good! I have 2 head of cauliflower and may try this tonight! I think I may drizzle olive oil and roasted garlic on them tho. No tahini in the house right now.
toogood is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 01:52 PM   #6
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Strawberry
OMGGGGGGG That fried cauliflower looks good!!!

At this one lebanese restaurant I love, they serve "Lebanese Green Beans" - which is basically a dish of green beans in a light fresh tomato sauce.

Basically you sautee fresh tomatoes, onions, and garlic in a pan. Add some green beans and a spash of water and cook the beans. Then squeeze some lemon juice on top.

You dont really need a recipe, but I used this recipe exactly in the beginning and it comes out great:

Mike Wolfberg's Recipe for Lebanese Green Beans

1 1/2 (2) lbs. fresh green beans Wash and trim the beans. Break or cut in half yielding pieces about 2" - 3".

1 1/2 (2) lbs. fresh unpeeled tomatoes Chop into approximately 1/2" cubes.

1 (1 1/2) cup chopped onions Chop the onions, starting with 1/4" slices.

7 (10) cloves finely chopped garlic peeled and sliced in half lengthwise, and the mature centers discarded; slice each clove in 3 lengthwise slices to start and then 7-9 crosswise slices.

3/4 (1) tsp. salt or less if desired

1/2 (3/4) tsp. coarsely cracked pepper

7 1/2 (10) Tbl. olive oil

3/8 (1/2) cup water

2 1/4 (3) Tbl. fresh lemon juice
  1. Trim the beans. Chop the tomatoes. Chop the onions. Chop the garlic.
  2. Heat the oil in a stainless steel large frying pan. Drop in the garlic and stir. Add the onions and stir again. Sprinkle on half of the salt. Saute uncovered over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until the onions start to turn golden - about 10 minutes. Lower the heat to avoid burning, if necessary.
  3. Add the beans and the remaining salt and pepper. Continue cooking for another 10 minutes, tossing the beans almost constantly. Again, do not let the onions burn.
  4. Add the tomatoes and water. Mix, and cook covered for another 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
  5. Add the lemon juice, mix, and put aside. If it will be a very long time until use, this can be refrigerated. Making this somewhat ahead is better, since the lemon can marinate into the dish more fully. Before finishing, bring the pan out of the refrigerator ahead of time, and bring it to room temperature.
  6. From room temperature, reheat for 20-25 minutes over medium-low heat. This is best done uncovered, unless the mixture is losing too much of its moisture.
This makes 8 (10-12) servings. The figures in parentheses throughout this recipe are optional higher yield numbers.

Last edited by Strawberry; 11-08-2010 at 01:55 PM..
Strawberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 03:37 PM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Sissiesue
Stats: 173/129/129
Start Date: September 27, 2010
That cauli looks SO tasty. Just a quick question: was the tahini just plain old tahini? Or was it a tahini-type dip made with other stuff?
Sissiesue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 08:26 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sissiesue View Post
That cauli looks SO tasty. Just a quick question: was the tahini just plain old tahini? Or was it a tahini-type dip made with other stuff?
I believe it's tahini with olive oil, garlic and lemon mixed in.
Old 11-20-2010, 11:53 AM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Sissiesue
Stats: 173/129/129
Start Date: September 27, 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by toomuchbooty View Post
I believe it's tahini with olive oil, garlic and lemon mixed in.
Thanks!!

I tried this two days ago. It was SO tasty. What an awesome way to eat cauliflower!! And it gave me a reason to use my tahini (since I'm not eating hummus now).

Sissiesue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 12:18 PM   #10
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: newyorkmeg
Stats: 247/152/healthy 5'8"
WOE: Just LC
Start Date: 10/09
Just going to fry my cauli that is sitting on my counter-thanks for the idea. Do you par boil first??
newyorkmeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 07:50 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by newyorkmeg View Post
Just going to fry my cauli that is sitting on my counter-thanks for the idea. Do you par boil first??
No par boil, just cook it raw!

Sissiesue- I'm glad it turned out...it's super delicious isn't it!