Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Vegetarian
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-07-2010, 05:25 AM   #1
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: TaDa!
Stats: 236.5 /132.5/ 128-133 @5'3"
WOE: Atkins Maintenance (Vegetarian + Fish)
Start Date: 6/03 & Goal! 5/06
Dried Black Soybeans For Lowcarb Veg Recipes ...

I have always seen it said to use the black soybeans as a substitute in recipes that call for beans -- a very common vegetarian staple! Here, the lowcarb recipes always call for cans of black soybeans, but I never like to use canned beans.

So, I went to the market to find them and we have an amazing array of bags of dried beans in our market .. the goya brand, and two other brands (!!) .. no black soybeans! Have any of you found them?
TaDa! is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 11-07-2010, 09:10 AM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: toogood
Tada do you by chance have an Asian market around you? WHen I go to our local Chinese market there is a whole array of beans including soybeans. So many other types not in our regular markets too. Also lots of veggie version of things. Check it out.
toogood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 09:49 AM   #3

Toogood! Lots of Asian markets!!! Thank you!!! The easiest and closest are cambodian but carry chinese products too. I can also get to Japanese occasionally.

Any other good products I should try to find??!! (lowcarb)
Old 11-07-2010, 11:00 AM   #4

Gallery: ravenrose
Stats: lost 130 lb so far, and miles to go before I sleep
WOE: low carb controlled calorie
Start Date: June, 2009
I've looked for these too, without success, and it's usually pretty easy to find exotic ingredients here in the Bay Area.

toogood, are those dried BLACK soybeans? I have seen the regular ones, sure, but not the black, at Asian markets. Also, the language barrier is such I wouldn't be very confident they were these special low carb beans, even if the proprietor nodded and said, yes, they are black soybeans, you know what I mean? there is a tendency to agree with whatever, even when the meaning isn't totally clear to all parties.
ravenrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 02:12 PM   #5

Ravenrose I hear you on the language barrier, lol! Ohmigosh I remember trying to find Shirataki noodles at the Japanese before they were so popular, lol!

Well, I was very excited to find this fact sheet after reading your post:

Whole Soybeans « Soy Fact Sheets « Soyfoods Association of North America

Looks to me, like I would absolutely try the yellow dried soybeans considering carb count, and the fact stated here that this is the variety used for tofu, soymilk, etc. Scroll to the bottom for the nutritional facts!

A very pertinent and in interesting factoid from here: "Do not add salt or acidic ingredients such as tomatoes or molasses to beans before they are almost entirely cooked, as salt and acids harden the beans skins." So I'd need to cook them in a broth some hours in my crockpot before adding in tomato-based sauces!
Old 11-07-2010, 05:33 PM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenrose View Post
I've looked for these too, without success, and it's usually pretty easy to find exotic ingredients here in the Bay Area.

toogood, are those dried BLACK soybeans? I have seen the regular ones, sure, but not the black, at Asian markets. Also, the language barrier is such I wouldn't be very confident they were these special low carb beans, even if the proprietor nodded and said, yes, they are black soybeans, you know what I mean? there is a tendency to agree with whatever, even when the meaning isn't totally clear to all parties.

Hi Ravenrose,
I think your best bet is to look for a pic. on the internet then go and look for black soybeans.
Old 11-07-2010, 05:35 PM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaDa! View Post
Toogood! Lots of Asian markets!!! Thank you!!! The easiest and closest are cambodian but carry chinese products too. I can also get to Japanese occasionally.

Any other good products I should try to find??!! (lowcarb)

Tada,
Go to the tofu isle. Lots of bean curd selection. Really good and packed with protein as a meat substitute. Also frozen section would have tons of veggie selection. A lot of Asians are vegetarians due to religious beliefs so there is always lots of selections. Oh, don't forget all the sea veggies!
Old 11-09-2010, 05:23 AM   #8

Thanks Toogood .. and great advice to Ravenrose .. I am so sometimes!!! I will absolutely be heading to google images before I head to the store, lol lol!!!

Pauline
Old 11-11-2010, 06:58 PM   #9

I was at different regular supermarket and saw a bag of the light soybeans .. Bob's red mill! Anyhow I bought them and will try them even though they are higher carb than the black ones ...

Still plan to get to the asian grocer to find black ones ...
Old 11-12-2010, 04:43 AM   #10

I thought I would park some info on soybeans relative values here .. found a really great document on how to cook them, etc:

regular black beans: 1/4 c dried is 140 calories, 19 net carbs

white soybeans: 1/2 c cooked is 149 calories, 3.8 net carbs
black soybeans: 1/2 c cooked is 120 calories, 1 net carbs

Info on soybeans:
Powered by Google Docs
Whole Soybeans « Soy Fact Sheets « Soyfoods Association of North America
Old 11-12-2010, 08:05 AM   #11
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: sadie_adriana
Stats: start 199/current 135
WOE: Paleo
Start Date: January 2011
Have you tried fermented black soybeans added to stir fried veggies? they are so good, salty, but add alot of flavor. I keep a small bag of them in the freezer, just add a few to a recipe, then back to the freezer.
The black beans I'm referring to are the same as the beans they use to make a 'black bean sauce'.
sadie_adriana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 10:09 AM   #12

Wow Sadie!!!! Thank you for piping up! I just did a little wiki-research, lol and came up with this:

Douchi - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It explains that those fermented beans and the chinese bean paste are made from black soybeans! And Ravenrose, it gives the Kanji for Chinese and Japanese for "black soybean" or "douchi". When I head out to try and find it at the asian, I will print out the webpage so I can show the Kanji .. although my local asian stores are neither Chinese or Japanese so it will be a toss-up whether they can figure it out for me, lol!

Sadie, those sound really interesting and something for me to check out too! Do you buy them in a jar? a bag? refrigerated? shelf-stable? Any info would help!!!
Old 11-12-2010, 11:27 PM   #13
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: sadie_adriana
Stats: start 199/current 135
WOE: Paleo
Start Date: January 2011
TaDa, they come in a sealed bag, after I opened the bag, I put it into a ziplock baggie,then the freezer, they stay seperated, I just sprinkle a few out when I need them.
They are salty, very tasty, a few go along way! also, they are pretty tiny in size, like a petite size pea or even smaller
sadie_adriana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 03:48 PM   #14

Thank you Sadie! Sounds interesting!!!! I will look for them too when I get myself to the store, lol!!

The white soybeans look like large peas too ... and less like the dry beans I make!
Old 12-28-2010, 10:31 AM   #15
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Generella
Bought it today and tried to do something similar to what you did. A great disappointment, don´t think I like black soybeans at all. Might be something related to the fact that I don´t like any kind of soy at all..
Generella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 07:23 PM   #16
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: E.W.
Stats: 318/297/ a lot less
WOE: Fast5
Start Date: restart again 1/17/2014
Eden foods has dried black soya beans. These take a lot longer to cook than other dried beans. When I do it I cook them about 40 min. in the pressure cooker. I would defintly
buy a can or two of the cooked beans before I bought the dry ones because to me they
just don't tast nearly as good as other beans. But there is suposed to be something in
them that at least reduses the likelyhood of developing diabetes in animals that eat them.

Eden Foods - Good Food Good Reason Health and Happiness®
E.W. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 06:11 PM   #17

Gallery: violetrose
WOE: The Metabolism Miracle
Start Date: 3/25/11
I have found the canned soybeans in our Whole Foods Market (Wild Oats market back east). But they're not cheap! Still, I'll buy them if I need them for a recipe (like chili).

What I'm looking for are edamame soybeans, shelled and frozen. On my eating plan a lot of soy products are called "neutral" foods; that is I don't have to worry about counting the carbs in them. I saw frozen edamame in pods at Costco, but I'm looking for the shelled ones.
violetrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 10:38 AM   #18
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Cats for Texas
Stats: 210
WOE: LC
Start Date: Restart: December 3, 2012
I buy Eden's canned black soy beans from Netrition. Love them. I rinse them before adding to stews, etc. You can also mash them and do "refried" beans. I use them exclusively in my chiles and minestrone. Great with a slice of avocado and dollop of sour cream. You can add anything to them while cooking -- I like to cook on very low for longer than just heating up in order to soften just a little -- having said that, they're not hard at all. Give a try.
Cats for Texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 12:22 PM   #19
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: VeganChica
Organic, Dried Black Soybeans

Hi there!
You inquired about a source for dried black soybeans.
I found them at EdenFoods.com. It is a large bag, but worth it!
Do you have any recipes you can share?
Have a great day!
VeganChica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 12:33 PM   #20

Hi veganchica! Thanks! I haven't really gotten too far with the black soybeans .. just been using the canned ones in some recipes. My main use for beans (in general) is to throw them in the crockpot in the winter with veg and usually some kind of tomato-based sauce. Since my research showed that initial cooking in a tomato based sauce would make them tough, I have kind of been very lax on following up on that.

My next bean adventure (hahahaaaa) is probably to try and make homemade burritos for the kiddos - as it is a favorite of theirs and should be pretty easy to make and the beans are pre-cooked before you assemble the burrito. I probably will not bother with an lc version though .. sorry I couldn't help!

If I do get any further on my quest for a lowcarb crockpot bean solution, I will post it though!!

Pauline
Old 11-08-2011, 10:30 AM   #21

Ok .. back on soybean research. I am making a crockpot recipe that calls for white beans and am planning to use a bag of dried white soybeans I have in place of the white beans since the recipe does not call for the acidic ingredients (see info on that upthread) during the cooking process, just as add-ins before serving .. anyhooooooo, I found this interesting information as far as blanching prior to cooking with the addition of a pinch of baking soda to help soften!

From University of Illinois: http://www.soyfoodsillinois.uiuc.edu...omeseries4.pdf

If the recipe comes out well, I will post it with my changes. I have posted the original recipe in my journal (link below) if anyone needs to see it right now, lol .. very french mediterranean with sundried tomatoes, herbes de provence, olives and havarti cheese ... I really hope it comes out well, lol!