Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Vegetarian
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-05-2010, 09:28 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: toogood
Do you think it's possible...

to just eat vegan and not have to worry about weight? I have been eating vegan almost 3 weeks now. Everything I have read says that I will lose weight. I would love to love a few but if I don't I am okay with it since I am doing it mostly for ethical reasons. However, I am consuming a lot of carbs!!! My meals are mostly veggies then some brown rice or bread. I snack on rice crackers in the car or I will have a piece of whole grain toast with peanut butter. I haven't weighed myself for a while because I just didn't want to be a number anymore so I don't know if the scale moved up or down. Clothes also fit the same. According to the book "SKinny *****es" and "The Kind Diet" they both state to simply eat. I also don't do the soy products they talked about. I don't know...just worried because it seems like I am eating A LOT!!! What do you all think?
toogood is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 11-05-2010, 09:34 AM   #2
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: TaDa!
Stats: 236.5 /132.5/ 128-133 @5'3"
WOE: Atkins Maintenance (Vegetarian + Fish)
Start Date: 6/03 & Goal! 5/06
I think that what you are doing is moderate (whole) carb intuitive eating .. and you will get better information on that probably be doing a search on "intuitive eating" and/or the book name ..

But my opinion would be that I don't think the "vegan" end of it is the critical piece, but the fact that you are going by appetite and are eating a higher carb menu. You may need to go outside of LCF for information on high carb dieting.

hth!

Pauline
TaDa! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 04:30 PM   #3

Gallery: ravenrose
Stats: lost 130 lb so far, and miles to go before I sleep
WOE: low carb controlled calorie
Start Date: June, 2009
depends on your personal metabolism. I ate very "healthy" vegetarian food for many years and just got fatter and fatter, with my diabetes getting worse and worse. some people seem to eat all they want and maintain fine. if you have a weight problem, this isn't terribly likely to solve it, unless you think about restricting something, but it's worth a try!
ravenrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 08:56 PM   #4
Senior LCF Member

That's what I am afraid of! I am afraid of gaining weight without realizing it! I wil have to do some research like TADA suggested.
Old 11-06-2010, 06:13 AM   #5

Gallery: toomuchbooty
Two of my good friends dropped a ton of weight going vegan, not me...I gained, but I wasn't making good choices. I was eating too many vegan desserts. I plan on going back to vegan once I reach goal...and hopefully by then I will have my sweet tooth under control. I believe it will be easy to do maintain my weight with a vegan diet as long as I stay away from the sugar and flour.
toomuchbooty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 04:39 PM   #6
Senior LCF Member

True. It is the dessets. Fortunately, I don't eat too much of that. Don't even know what to eat! I am glad your friends lost weight on this way of eating. I do feel free tho. Not guilty and not "stuffed" all the time. It is just always shopping fresh, chopping, and cooking! I cook for 3 kids and a husband who eats vegan with me at home. Girls are vegetarian but son and hubby is not. So whatever I make it has to be a big batch to "hold' them. Lots of stews, beans, and rice right now!
Old 11-10-2010, 12:34 PM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: tamari
WOE: no guilt allowed
I've posted this link before, but I can't remember which thread it was.

The Food | Bonzai Aphrodite

There's a ton of good info here about eating a balanced veg*n diet, and the author's writing is really easy to read and understand (which I totally need, lol). Also, check out her recipes for more meal ideas - the ones I've made are downright delicious!
tamari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 02:10 PM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Thanks Tamari,
I checked out her site and it is awesome! Unfortunately, I think...no I know I am gaining weight! My pants are tight and for the first time I have a belly and muffin top. I wonder if it's from eating too much carbs! I didn't look like this when I ate meat or was vegetarian. I am going to weigh myself tomorrow and seriously cut back on the amount of food I eat. I do eat a lot because 1) it's cold outside 2) I'm hungry 3) homemade vegan food rocks!!! I love a simple crusty bread (yes, big thigh culprit) smeared with roasted garlic and olive oil! I also love a good bowl of pasta anytime. I am starting to see the trend here.

Oh, went to Spaghetti Factory for dinner last night for my DS 8 birthday. They had spaghetti squash with lots of good marianara sauce and mozarella. Told them to leave out the cheese and it was still so good. Now I am ready to go buy a squash and eat that instead of pasta.
Old 11-12-2010, 09:02 AM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Joyful111
Here are my thoughts for what they are worth. I think it is possible if you do it in a whole foods type manner. For example Joel Fuhrman's Eat To Live program which is either 100% vegan or 90% depending on which of his options you choose. The program highly emphasizes plant based eating. So all of the vegan junk food items (pasta, breads etc) are eliminated. It is basically veggies, fruits, beans, nuts, sweet potatoes etc. He allows one serving of whole grains/starchy carbs per day for those trying to lose weight if I am remembering correctly.

He says a lot of things about the dangers of saturated fats which I don't believe are true in the absence of carbs. (Just like Dr. Atkins says!) But also I think a diet high in "good" carbs -veggies, fruits etc can work too for some people as long as the sugar, refined carbs etc are eliminated and even whole grains are restricted for those trying to lose weight. A lot of people who are vegan though do what I call a vegan junk food diet. Some people can get away with it, but I can't.

I have lost weight easily on Eat to Live, but find after awhile I miss the fat in my diet. It is a nice change up once in a while though. It doesn't decrease your appetite like low carbing does, but that is okay because the only allowed foods are so low in calories.
Joyful111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 10:08 AM   #10
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: tamari
WOE: no guilt allowed
Quote:
Originally Posted by toogood View Post
Oh, went to Spaghetti Factory for dinner last night for my DS 8 birthday. They had spaghetti squash with lots of good marianara sauce and mozarella. Told them to leave out the cheese and it was still so good. Now I am ready to go buy a squash and eat that instead of pasta.
Sounds good! Asparagus also makes a great pasta substitute. I actually prefer it to using squash as a substitute, since it doesn't get squishy. Just peel off fettuccine sized "noodles" with a potato peeler, steam, then serve.
tamari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 09:20 AM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Oh man! I need my booty kicked. I stepped on the scale and hit my highest weight ever! This is after over a month of vegan eating! I gained 5 lbs!!! I am thinking of reintroducing eggs and dairy so I can do low carb or just cut out all the bread, pasta, and rice! UGh!!!
Old 11-23-2010, 09:58 AM   #12

Gallery: toomuchbooty
Quote:
Originally Posted by toogood View Post
Oh man! I need my booty kicked. I stepped on the scale and hit my highest weight ever! This is after over a month of vegan eating! I gained 5 lbs!!! I am thinking of reintroducing eggs and dairy so I can do low carb or just cut out all the bread, pasta, and rice! UGh!!!
I had to do that to lose any weight. I hope to go back to a primarily vegan diet once I reach goal.
toomuchbooty is offline   Reply With Quote