Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Vegetarian
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-01-2010, 07:03 AM   #1
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Strawberry
Who has the best veggie burger?

A review of 4 major brands of veggie burgers!
From this site: http://live.freezerburns.com/

Read your labels carefully... .there are some vase differences in carb counts among brands.

http://blip.tv/play/gt0Iga6WUQI%2Em4v

Amy’s All American Veggie Burger
Nutrition Facts:
Serving size 1 Burger (71g)
Servings per Container 4
Calories: 120
Calories from Fat: 25
Total Fat: 3g
Saturated Fat: 0g
Trans Fat: 0g
Cholesterol: 0mg
Sodium: 390mg
Total Carbohydrate: 15g
Dietary Fiber: 3g
Sugars: 2g
Protein: 10g
Price: $5.99

Boca Original Vegan Meatless Burgers
Nutrition Facts:
Serving size 1 Burger (71g)
Servings per Container 4
Calories: 70
Calories from Fat: 5
Total Fat: 0.5g
Saturated Fat: 0g
Sodium: 280mg
Potassium: 340mg
Total Carbohydrate: 6g
Dietary Fiber: 4g
Sugars: 0g
Protein: 13g
Price: $4.25

Gardenburger The Original Veggie Burgers
Nutrition Facts:
Serving size 1 Pattie (71g)
Servings per Container 4
Calories: 100
Calories from Fat: 30
Total Fat: 3g
Saturated Fat: 1g
Cholesterol: 10mg
Sodium: 400mg
Potassium: 110mg
Total Carbohydrate: 18g
Dietary Fiber: 5g
Sugars: >1g
Protein: 5g
Price: $4.19

Morningstar Farms Grillers Original
Nutrition Facts:
Serving size 1 Burger (64g)
Servings per Container 4
Calories: 130
Calories from Fat: 50
Total Fat: 6g
Saturated Fat: 1g
Polyunsaturated Fat: 3g
Monounsaturated Fat: 2g
Sodium: 260mg
Potassium: 130mg
Total Carbohydrate: 5g
Dietary Fiber: 2g
Sugars: >1g
Protein: 15g
Price: $4.69

PS. if anyone knows how to embed the video so it plays in the post, let me know!

Last edited by Strawberry; 11-01-2010 at 07:07 AM..
Strawberry is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 11-01-2010, 11:29 AM   #2
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: TaDa!
Stats: 236.5 /132.5/ 128-133 @5'3"
WOE: Atkins Maintenance (Vegetarian + Fish)
Start Date: 6/03 & Goal! 5/06
I'm mad because I am having trouble viewing it (my $*%#%# computer!). I eat the Morningstar Grillers Original .. but you have to be careful with all these!! Morningstar makes another one with a similar name that is higher carbs and calories .. very annoying how close the names are!!!

I have eaten Boca from time to time too, but have pretty much stayed away from Gardenburger because most of them are quite carby!! Now that I know there is one that is lower, I'll look for it. I like Amy's products but the net carb count is a little on the high side ..

I gave my kids Morningstar Spicy Black Bean Burger last night and they loved it although it was not burger-like .. more mexican-y and even my fussy fussy one gave me the go-ahead to buy and serve these <insert rolleyeyes in here>. Unfortunately it does have 9 net carbs per burger. I personally try to stay below 4 net carbs on veg proteins unless it is something special, just because I can, lol!

The kids and I have also been crazy about the Morningstar Sausage Patties, but they seem to be out of all the supermarkets around here -- and only the "sweet maple" version available - which we do not like. I noticed Morningstar has a pile of new products that they are probably taking up the freezer case, but none of them interest us too much ... The patties are getting snatched up when they do have them .. I had a weird desperate conversation with a random stranger vegetarian father in Trader Joe's, as I proclaimed "Where are the green boxes?" He ran over to me and said randomly, "Do they have the sausages??!!!" I guess it is a local veggie sausage famine for other families too .... lol! Funny!
TaDa! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 11:40 AM   #3
LJB

Gallery: LJB
Stats: Size 8 at Present
WOE: Real food.
None of the above. I buy Meredith Farms veggie burgers at Market Basket. They run about $2.49 for a box of 4.
LJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 11:50 AM   #4
Old Wise One

Gallery: jezzie
Stats: choosing to be scale-free;
WOE: (48% C; 33% Fat; 19% P; )
Start Date: 11/22/11 - MediterrAsian, Flexitarian, Oz-ish
I don't eat them too often. I usually have a portabella cap.

Boca All American Flame Grilled
90 cal., 3 grams fat, 280 milligrams sodium, 14 grams protein

''This one's for the beef lovers. Boca seems to have perfected
the traditional, fast-food, charbroiled flavor, complete with the
juiciness of fat without the actual grease.
This soy-protein burger is as close to the real thing as you can
get without eating red meat. It's also lower in calories and sodium
than most of the brands tested, as well as higher in protein.''
jezzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 09:09 AM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: toogood
There is an Indian style burger in Trader Joes's called Masala burger. It is made out of potatoe and has lots of Indian flavors! I love it because I put it in a pita with cucumer, cilantro, and lettuce. It's like Indian food to go!
toogood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 09:17 AM   #6
LJB

Quote:
Originally Posted by toogood View Post
There is an Indian style burger in Trader Joes's called Masala burger. It is made out of potatoe and has lots of Indian flavors! I love it because I put it in a pita with cucumer, cilantro, and lettuce. It's like Indian food to go!
Really? I got to try that!

I think I'll have DH take me to Trader Joe's this weekend.
Old 11-02-2010, 03:12 PM   #7

I thought those looked just great too, but passed them up, mainly due to the lack of protein (and potato and bread crumbs -for Atkins, only maintenance level).

The ingredient list and nutrition info shows

Trader Joe's Vegetable Masala Burger:

11 gm net carbs but the protein is only 2 gm (I tend to use a "burger" to get in protein)

Ingredients: Potatoes, canola oil, carrots, green beans, water, bread crumbs (wheat flour, sugar, yeast, salt), bell peppers, onions, corn, salt, green peppers, sugar, ginger, cellulose gum, spices, citric acid, turmeric, mustard seeds.

It is more potato + pure vegetables and some bread crumbs .. just thought I'd mention it! Sounds delicious, though!!! I would eat it with some protein maybe if I was going to disregard the high glycemic potato, flour and sugar in the ingredients.
Old 11-03-2010, 11:18 AM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: mrsitaly
Quote:
Originally Posted by toogood View Post
I second this one. Very good and has a nice spice to it. Thanks for the reminder - will have to buy some more!
mrsitaly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 05:39 PM   #9
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Strawberry
The winner in the video (for those who cant see it) was the boca burger.

Last edited by Strawberry; 11-03-2010 at 05:40 PM..
Strawberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 02:56 AM   #10
LJB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strawberry View Post
The winner in the video (for those who cant see it) was the boca burger.
He gave it a one star in episode 254.
Old 11-04-2010, 04:19 AM   #11

Yay! I finally got to view the video .. and I will just mention my personal issue with these ratings of veggie burgers and, for me, who hasn't had an animal burger in over 30 years, well a taste test telling me how close something is to a "real" burger is of no interest, lol!!!

Very early on in the video, Freezer Burn Guy even disses "Gardenburger" for not trying to make their burger look meaty or taste like meat .. based on the box picture. He says, (lol!!!): "They're not giving any illusion that this is a real burger .... It is just a bunch of garden stuff thrown into a patty ..." Lol! Lol! Lol! Well .... yeah!!!!! In another place, a morningstar veggieburger is praised for "almost smelling like meat" ... hahahahaha I eat those particular ones .. or did until I heard that (j/k! I picked them originally for calorie and carb count!).

I do, of course, understand the value of taste tests like these for the many people who do recall hamburger taste and are trying to re-create that (maybe they have been told by their doctor to cut out red meat, etc etc, are a new vegetarian who liked meat and is doing it for other reasons than taste preference, etc etc). I can see how the video's viewers are probably just the mainstream, so the comments are on point!!! However, personally I'd prefer a taste test that tells me what tastes best even if it tasted nothing like a hamburger (like I imagine the TJ's Vegetable Masala Burger is, and the Morningstar Spicy Black Bean burger my kids just loved .. yeah, it would be cool to know if it could go with conventional burger fixings (tomato, cheese, onions in my house, lol!) or not, but taste is king in my house!

I love hearing what you guys all like ... in my case, it is a question of getting that dose of protein in the most palatable manner!

Pauline

p.s.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LJB View Post
He gave it a one star in episode 254.
LOL!!!! Lora!!! I'll have to watch that one! It probably went head to head with beef burgers ??!!!

Last edited by TaDa!; 11-04-2010 at 04:20 AM..
Old 11-04-2010, 05:31 AM   #12
LJB

I've tried all 4 brands, Greg did for the frodown and though he's right about Amy's and Boca burgers being not so tasty, I'm not happy about the other 2 either.

It really is based on your taste buds.

I did notice if you thaw the burgers in the refrigerator and grill them on a Foreman they all taste A LOT better!

I posted a recipe a while back about black bean veggie burgers that I make when I'm not lazy on occasion. Can't find the thread.

Last edited by LJB; 11-04-2010 at 05:33 AM..
Old 11-04-2010, 05:57 AM   #13

Quote:
I've tried all 4 brands, Greg did for the frodown and though he's right about Amy's and Boca burgers being not so tasty, I'm not happy about the other 2 either.

It really is based on your taste buds.

I did notice if you thaw the burgers in the refrigerator and grill them on a Foreman they all taste A LOT better!

I posted a recipe a while back about black bean veggie burgers that I make when I'm not lazy on occasion. Can't find the thread.
I never thought about owning a Foreman Grill!!! What about the cooking method works on the veggie burgers??!!! better than other indoor methods .. maybe I need one??!!! lol!!!!

The black bean veggie recipe rang a bell .. is this it??!! Looks really good and worth trying for my kiddos!! I love that it's simple! So the onion and pepper go in the mix and are not pre-fried, etc .. is that right?? I am all about the easy recipes, lol!! (It would be good to add to the recipe sticky up top ... then it'll be easy to find! )

Quote:
I used this recipe:

Ingredients:
  • 1 15 ounce can black beans, drained
  • 1/2 onion, diced
  • 1 tsp hot sauce
  • 1/2 red or yellow bell pepper, diced (optional)
  • 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
  • 1 egg
  • 1 cup bread crumbs (I used Ezekiel 3:9 bread or pulverized pita chips)
  • oil for frying (optional)
Preparation:

Mash the beans in a large bowl and add remaining ingredients, mixing until well combined. Press firmly to form into patties and lightly fry in oil. Or, fire up the grill and barbecue your black bean veggie burgers over a medium heat.
Old 11-04-2010, 06:08 AM   #14
LJB

I'm going meatless today!
Old 06-30-2011, 01:35 PM   #15
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: nowpresence
I like Quorn brand... which is made from a fungi! It was on sale, 4 burgers, for just under $4 and had, I think, 7 grams of carbo. for each burger.
nowpresence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 12:34 PM   #16
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Nigel
Quote:
Originally Posted by nowpresence View Post
I like Quorn brand... which is made from a fungi! It was on sale, 4 burgers, for just under $4 and had, I think, 7 grams of carbo. for each burger.
I've never seen their burgers...sounds interesting.
Nigel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 04:58 PM   #17
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: nikki
Stats: 185/137/120
WOE: Low-carb IF/JUDDD Vegetarian
Start Date: November 20, 2013
If you are going for a taste similar to real meat, in my opinion MorningStar Griller's Prime (and pretty much any MorningStar product) tastes closest to the real deal. The Griller's Prime burgers have a whopping 17g protein, 2g fiber, 9g fat, and only 2 net carbs. I also love their sausages! Yummmm.
nikki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 10:11 AM   #18
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Sherril
Stats: 207/188.6/125
WOE: Low-carb lacto-ovo vegetarian
Start Date: 11/09 the first time 2/12 this time
I went out and bought a mini George Foreman Grill at the thrift store for $4 yesterday. I'm really looking forward to cooking a burger with sugar free bbq sauce on it. I'll probably do that tomorrow night. However, I did make some grilled veggies that were to die for! I never knew I needed one of these until it was mentioned here in this thread. Now I'm looking forward to making grilled veggie pannini sammys this summer when the veggies are fresh from my garden. Yum!
Sherril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 06:36 PM   #19
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I cook my burgers in a frying pan with a little butter, add plenty of salt and pepper on both sides and then fresh cilantro on top. Then I put a slice of jalepeno cheese on top of that. It sure makes a difference in how they taste. I also make sure they have a good sear on them...it improves the taste also. I have grilled them outside on the propane grill and I also make sure they get a good sear on them then too.

Mostly i find veggie burgers to be bland, so spicing them up sure helps.

Sometimes I add some cumin and chili powder to them or even some bbq sauce. Grilled onions on top of the patty also helps the flavor.
Old 02-22-2012, 12:08 PM   #20

Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/144 - 150/155, 5'9", 41 y.o., Hypothyroid
WOE: Maintenance - 5:2/JUDDD
I'm not vegetarian, but have been trying to eat less meat, so I dropped by this neck of the LCF woods to check you all out.

I had a veggie burger at Red Robin the other day that was really, really good. I remember they offered two kinds and I got the one that was not listed as Vegan (I think it was Boca, but I may be wrong). I tried to go on their website but it's not loading right now.

I have some of the Morningstar burgers at home, but haven't tried them yet.
KeirasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 04:57 AM   #21
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Welcome here. I know a lot of people who aren't vegetarians that like veggie burgers. It's just a matter of taste. The way you prepare them and serve them makes all the difference in my opinion. Please come back and post if you like or dislike the MS Farms burgers and what kind you tried.
Old 02-23-2012, 07:17 AM   #22
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeirasMom View Post
I'm not vegetarian, but have been trying to eat less meat, so I dropped by this neck of the LCF woods to check you all out.

I have some of the Morningstar burgers at home, but haven't tried them yet.
I think veggie burgers are becoming popular with non-vegetarians because they contain much less fat and those on a low-fat diet will like that. I'm sure they aren't catering to vegetarians in restaurants, it's for those low-fat dieters. That being said, make sure that the vegetarian burger you do buy is a low-carb burger. Many of them out there contain grains that up the carb count significantly. My personal favorite is the Original Gardenburger, it's delicious and my favorite part is that it doesn't try to be a hunk of meat like substance. However, it has way too many carbs for me to use on my low carb way of eating.

Last edited by Sherril; 02-23-2012 at 07:18 AM..
Old 02-23-2012, 08:17 AM   #23

Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/144 - 150/155, 5'9", 41 y.o., Hypothyroid
WOE: Maintenance - 5:2/JUDDD
Thanks for the responses. I actually don't do low carb anymore since I found JUDDD, but I do watch calories, and am trying to be a bit more socially and environmentally responsible. I'm tending toward more natural foods and less meat when I can (though I still eat a lot of junk). Baby steps.
KeirasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 04:24 PM   #24
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quorn Cheeseburgers were a lot like cheesy cardboard. Maybe I'll try baking them next time or something to perk them up a bit.

The Sun Burgers Original are pretty good, meaty texture.
Old 03-31-2012, 09:31 AM   #25
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I had another Sunshine Burger... (oops, not sunburger).

I think I'll try and clone my own this weekend and add some chia because they seem to fall apart if you thaw them before cooking. The flavor is great though.
Old 04-03-2012, 08:51 AM   #26
Senior LCF Member

Who makes that one, Nigel?
Old 04-03-2012, 12:50 PM   #27
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

It's sunshineburger . The original one is made basically from brown rice, carrots, herbs, sunflower kernels. When I get a little kitchen time, I'm going to try and replicate it.

It did fall apart when I thawed it before cooking, so if you find them, cook them frozen. I may add in some chia or even an egg to help it stay together better when I do my experiment with the ingredients.