Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Vegetarian (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/vegetarian/)
-   -   A vegetarian holiday meal (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/vegetarian/696886-vegetarian-holiday-meal.html)

toomuchbooty 10-30-2010 10:37 AM

A vegetarian holiday meal

I thought some of you might be interested in this set of recipes from Vegan Yum Yum.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3291/...e10062f8_b.jpg

VeganYumYum A YumYum Thanksgiving

I've tried a lot of recipes from her site and book...and iphone app...everyone one has been delicious.

TaDa! 10-30-2010 10:48 AM

Niiiiiice!!!! Great great topic!!! I am trying to figure out what to make this year for Thanksgiving .. as I now have 3 vegetarians (yay!). I am the only lowcarb one .. and one of mine is allergic to nuts, mustard, sesame seed, and fruits.

I know nut or bean loafs are always very popular vegetarian highcarb fare but I have still not successfully come up with anything lowcarb! The lowcarb loaf has been a 7-year quest for me, lol!!! I think it would have to be like 5 or 6 net carbs a slice to fit in for me .. anyhow, I'm going to check out the VeganYumYum!!

I personally would love to know anyone's vegetarian *lowcarb* holiday recipes!!!! I hope that's ok toomuchbooty!!!! Thanks for the link!!!!

:)

Pauline

toomuchbooty 10-30-2010 11:41 AM

Yes, I'd love if people want to share ideas! Vegan Yum Yum recipes are not meant to be low carb, but you will find a lot of LC options or things that can be adapted easily.

cali_amazon 10-30-2010 03:06 PM

I really like squash related dishes for Thanksgiving! For moderate carbs at Thanksgiving I really like stuffed acorn squash.

Usually we make it using quinoa, parmesan, celery, carrots, onions, mushrooms and fresh cranberries (you can add stevia if you don't like the tartness of them).

I've also been meaning to try the above with veggie sausage...If you don't eat quinoa you could always sub the sausage and make a vegetarian stuffing from that and the above ingredients.

We just made a pumpkin stew with mushrooms that was really tasty. It was an adaptation of a persian stew recipe.

Or if you like Italian food for the holidays, I LOVE squash lasagna!

Strawberry 10-30-2010 05:40 PM

I have always loved the idea of a stuffed roasted pumpkin as the centerpiece for a thanksgiving dinner.......A pumpkin instead of a turkey! The presentation is impressive and gorgeous! (similar to that of proudly carrrying in a big golden turkey to the table)

http://www.epicurious.com/images/rec...ber/240601.jpg
The above pic comes from this recipe for a roasted pumpkin with a rich vegetable stew (all vegetarian)

http://www.gourmet.com/recipes/2000s...vegetable-stew

Here is one for a roasted pumpkin stuffed with a more traditional bread stuffing:
http://www.epicurious.com/articlesgu...Pumpkin-231053

I would suggest subbing something like the Ezekial bread for the bread... granted its not Induction friendly, but on a special holiday, i think a small "splurge" would be nice. You could also stuff it with a pilaf of quinoa with butternut squash, nuts, dried cranberries, maybe some chunks of feta or goat cheese in there.

Speaking of goat cheese.... I also love a round of goat cheese, crusted with a mix of coarsely crushed nuts, and then pan-sauteed to make it crispy! It makes a really rich "main dish"-type of patty if you serve it with roasted veggies or quinoa or whatever.

I also second the idea for a butternut sqash lasagna with parmesan!! Get out your Dreamfields!

Strawberry 10-30-2010 05:59 PM

I thought of another idea... if the idea of doing the roasted pumpkin seems to daunting to pull off... you could also just purchase a large ceraminc pumpkin tureen to serve a hearty vegetarian stew.
http://media.pier1.com/img/pier1com/...14-2469201.jpg

You dont get the slice of roasted pumpkin with your stew or stuffing this way, but it does make a festive presentation.

Strawberry 10-30-2010 06:17 PM

Tada, your mention of a "nut roast" reminded me of this recipe from one of the threads on organic vegetarian eating....

Quote:

Fry an onion and 2 cloves or garlic in butter. Add 8 oz finely chopped mushrooms, a grated courgette and a grated carrot and fry til soft, then put veg into a mixing bowl.

Use about a pound of nuts, I like peanuts, hazlenuts or cashews, dry fry for a few minutes to toast then whizz them in food processor to finely chop. (I used to put them in a folded tea-towel and bash them with a rolling pin, great fun). Add to bowl.

Add 2 or 3 eggs to the bowl, you want the mixture to stick together well but not be too soggy. Season very well, thyme, parsley, salt and pepper. Sometimes i add a veggie stock cube and some marmite or soya sauce. Mix well. I might add a handful of parmesan or strong cheddar as well.

Transfer to a greased/lined loaf tin and bake for about 50 mnutes until firm.
from this thread:
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/or...ral-foods.html

TaDa! 10-30-2010 07:04 PM

Ohmigosh! Those all sound amazing! I looooove the roast pumpkin!!!!! I think there is a soup with a pumpkin tureen in one of my Moosewood cookbooks .. going to check that out. It really is an awesome festive thing to bring a pumpkin to the table!!! Too darn cool!!! My kids will grumble over squash but might have an interest in a pumpkin, lol! Thanks for the picture too!

Yep!!! I found it!!! The recipe is "The Pumpkin Tureen" in Mollie Katzen's The Enchanted Broccoli Forest - my copy is the original printing of the book, and it's on page 32 .. You cook the whole pumpkin with soup ingredients inside for 2 hours. to make it lowcarb, you would need to convert some ingredients to lc: condensed evaporated milk, and 2 slices of dark rye bread. Although, I personally - especially being on maintenance - would prolly not stress on a one-time Thanksgiving meal with 7 net carbs from bread per serving when it is a whole grain rye ...

The nut roast sounds good too! I might give that one a whirl some time!

Strawberry 10-30-2010 07:24 PM

Yes, I keep intending to buy nuts for that nut roast! But I've not tried it yet.... sounds sooo yummy! even if just for a regular dinner.

TaDa! 10-31-2010 08:10 AM

lol! Thanks to LCF starting a new board for Vegetarian WOEs, I have been looking through cookbooks more than usual! I actually know what I am making for the veggie half of Thanksgiving (My Mom does the Turkey and stuffing for the few carnivores, lol!!).

I am in an interesting position this year! I have 2 high carb lacto-ovo vegetarians and myself on Atkins maintenance. I am feeling really in control of my maintenance unlike I ever have before and so quite a bit of extra vegetable carbs is something I will let myself do in order to make something the kiddos will eat (they both refuse to eat mushrooms, summer squash, zucchini, eggplant and I have one nut and seed allergic!!!).

My plan is to have this and to eat extremely lowcarb / high fat the rest of the day!! In other years, I would not have made something which has 30/20 net carbs a serving to be eaten with other veggie carbs on the side .. I'd have made some kind of tofu dish maybe to be eaten with some special veggies ..

~~Our Menu~~

Chilean Squash Casserole* (Higher carb ... has some corn in it!)
Cauliflower Mashed Fauxtatoes -- for everyone at Turkey Day
Spicy Green Beans -- for everyone at Turkey Day

I could easily have 40 net carbs at the main meal! All good vegetable carbs though! And the calories should not be too terribly high. As far as dessert, I will probably rely on the high carb desserts from Mom for everyone else, and buy myself a single special treat at the lc store (like a chocolate brownie) to have with whipped cream .. or just have my usual chocolate coconut oil nut bar.

*The Chilean Squash Casserole is from The Moosewood Cookbook (the older one) by Mollie Katzen, page 97. I had notes in there and it is funny because I had turned it lowfat :hyst: but I did remark that it was amazingly delicious and I think I do recall it. It is all lowcarb ingredients, except for the squash/pumpkin and the corn. Otherwise it has peppers, onions, eggs and cheddar cheese .. and some chili pepper ...

toogood 11-02-2010 10:21 AM

This is very exciting! I have always done vegetarian Thanksgiving before but never vegan. This will be my first year! I have never bought a tofurky or anything like that because I would rather save the money and buy more veggies or fruit. I am also going to attempt to make a vegan pumpkin pie. I think I will stick to the basics thus far. Roast veggies, bread, some sort of pasta, salad. Thanks for all the great ideas!

Strawberry 11-02-2010 05:42 PM

I found this British site with some interesting ideas. Its not low carb, so you will have to adapt some of the recipes.

Viva! Very Veggie Christmas

I'm attempting to cook a nutloaf! I'll let you all know how it turns out!

cali_amazon 11-04-2010 10:14 AM

Having gone the tofurkey route one year, definitely save your money! The only thing that was tasty was the tempeh "legs".

I wish I wasn't allergic to nuts because the nut loaves always sound interesting.

Strawberry 11-04-2010 10:33 AM

I think the tofurkey is funny,.... but AWFUL tasting.

In my opinion, you are never going to duplicate a turkey with tofu... so I'd rather just create a totally different delicious dish that celebrates fall ingredients.
And as a bonus, if you are contending with meat-eaters around the table, they will be very likely to enjoy a vegetarian dish made with real food.

TaDa! 11-04-2010 10:44 AM

Tofurkey is a huuuge joke in our house. I tried it when it first came out and thought it was hideous - couldn't even eat my portion at Thanksgiving -- just ate vegetables that year.

I gave it another try a few years ago when my eldest decided to go vegetarian .. we both like tofu and tempeh .. and it had been on the market that long, I figured someone out there likes it (probably just the confounded relatives trying to figure out what to make for veg guests, lol!!!) .. so we tried it again (but this time, I also made a casserole!), both dd and I were :sick: lol!!

I tend not to want things trying to be "meat substitutes" anyhow because I find the idea offensive, lol! but of course, there are all kinds of people eating veg and I am sure there is a good market for those products!