Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Vegetarian
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-10-2011, 10:17 AM   #61
Rua
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Rua
Stats: 130lbs / 126lbs / 110lbs
WOE: Little or no carbs veggie diet
Start Date: June 2011
Vegetarian: a person who does not eat meat for health or religious reasons or because they want to avoid being cruel to animals

Vegan: a person who does not eat or use any animal products, such as meat, fish, eggs, cheese or leather

omnivore: an animal that is naturally able to eat both plants and meat

^yes we are able to eat meat but we chose not to so i would not call myself an omnivore and by definition in the dictionary i am a vegetarian.

Back on topic...

Thanks Tada! ummm, indian, might get some tonight now after you saying that! haha!
you will love govindas!! just dont go on sunday (they arnt open would have loved some today!)
we went to burger king today and i got salad with no dressing! haha and was actually yum!
Rua is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 10-11-2011, 12:56 PM   #62
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: TaDa!
Stats: 236.5 /132.5/ 128-133 @5'3"
WOE: Atkins Maintenance (Vegetarian + Fish)
Start Date: 6/03 & Goal! 5/06
Never made it to Govindas, Rua .. as we decided not to go to Dublin this time .. but we did found a really good Indian in Cavantown, lol!

I am bumping for MSBlondeGRIT ..
TaDa! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 01:41 PM   #63
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: nikki
Stats: 185/131/120
WOE: Low-carb Vegetarian
Start Date: November 20, 2013
Thanks

Thanks for this post! There is soo much information here, it will take a while to process. I have been doing a combination of MediFast and vegetarian low-carb on my own for months now, with no support. Now I am learning so very much. I am grateful.
nikki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 06:54 AM   #64

No problem Nikki! I hope things are going well for you!!!!

I came back in here to make a little addition - I was on my challenge thread and was commenting on how at restaurants, I now will often eat an appetizer and a side salad, but that it was as much a portion size thing as it was a vegetarian thing .. and I thought I should add that here ..

I often find that the vegetarian (generally lacto-ovo) options at restaurants are either very carby dishes on the main menu .. ***but*** that often there are nice lowcarb vegetarian options right on the appetizer list. And, that if you add a side salad and dressing you do have a reasonable and enjoyable meal without the need for special requests often required to order from the main menu (see post#1 where I talk about those) Restaurant navigating for the lc vegetarian is the toughest part of lowcarbing this way imho!

Appetizers I often find:

Buffalo Mozzerella, Tomato and Basil
Caponata (chopped eggplant)
Mushrooms stuffed with cheese
Artichoke cheese dip
hummus
Guacamole appetizer
deep fried tofu
baked tofu
miso soup with tofu

And some of these - the dips and spreads, if you know where you are going, you can plan a head and pop a lowcarb pita, tortilla, etc in your bag .. I do that **a lot** Anyhow, "think outside the box", lol!

Pauline

Stats: 47 Years Old & 5'3" tall
Weight: 236.5 (43 bmi) / 132.5 / 128-133 (size 4/6 .. 23 bmi)

*Weekly Weigh-In 7/10/12

My Journal
Year One Weightloss and Chart
My Weightloss Story

Last edited by TaDa!; 01-28-2012 at 06:56 AM..
Old 01-28-2012, 09:28 AM   #65
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Karla1960
Stats: 160/158/120
WOE: atkins
Start Date: 02/02/2014
subscribing
Karla1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 07:28 PM   #66
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Sherril
Stats: 207/188.6/125
WOE: Low-carb lacto-ovo vegetarian
Start Date: 11/09 the first time 2/12 this time
I'm new here but have lurked awhile. I lost 30 pounds a couple of years ago doing low carb and doing it again to lose the same 30 plus another 30 pounds. I've been a lacto-ovo vegetarian for about 28 years. Veg sub meats have come a long way baby! I find that when I have a big salad (with blue cheese dressing) everyday, that my weight loss continues strong. I didn't know that cashews weren't allowed at the beginning of Atkins. They are my favorite. I guess I need to lay off of them. Most restaurants will have a Cesar salad, just ask for a different salad dressing if you want to avoid the anchovies. I've been known to bring my own meatless chicken strips in a baggie with either LC BBQ sauce or taco sauce or spaghetti sauce on it and add that to the salad. Yum. Also, you can eat the topping off of a couple of veggie pizza slices and stay low carb. My quick run-out-the-door low carb breakfast is Calorie countdown chocolate milk and a low-fat mozzarella cheese stick. Easy to eat in the car. I'm sorry about the stream of consciousness but I just thought I'd share how I stay low carb away from home.
Sherril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 12:41 PM   #67
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Nigel
THanks for sharing and welcome to our world.
Nigel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 04:55 AM   #68

Sherril - I like the chix strips idea! I do not know how I have been lowcarb vegetarian eating for nine years and never thought of that! lol!!!! Salad is always a good go-to restaurant meal! in fact yesterday I had a big-ass greek Salad at an italian restaurant .. so hard for a vegetarian to pass up that pasta, lol .. like you I was a highcarb vegetarian for 25 years before going lowcarb these past nine So hard to get out of the cheese lasagna mindset, lolol!!!

Nice to meet you!!!!!

Pauline
Old 02-06-2012, 06:07 PM   #69
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

TaDa! Does Dreamfield's pasta affect you? I have used it a few times to make lasagne and I couldn't tell the difference between it and regular pasta. I don't know what kind of ingredients it has in it though.
Old 02-06-2012, 08:01 PM   #70
Senior LCF Member

Thank you Nigel for the welcome.

Pauline, the chicken is made from ingredients that probably don't need to be refrigerated as quickly as meat does, so I just stick a baggie in my purse before I leave home and if it's in there 2-3 hours before I eat, that's been OK for me. I gained all my weight after becoming a vegetarian because of eating all the grains and starchy veggies instead of protein.
Old 02-07-2012, 04:07 AM   #71

Sherril lol I was a fat carnivore as a kid, and a fat highcarb vegetarian .. the high carbs combined with fat affected me no matter what I did .. I am so thankful I can eat such high fat and lowcarb now and be a good weight!!

The really really cool thing now, I think .. I actually eat a much wider variety of vegetables than I ever did as a highcarb vegetarian .. you know my focus was pizza and lasagna back then, lol! take out the really bad carbs and the vegetables and fats can take center stage. Growing up I was continually put on lowfat highcarb diets and finding lowcarb was like an epiphany .. I enjoyed highcarb highfat vegetarian, but turn it lowfat and it was just simply unpleasant, lol!!! I know a lot of people do lowfat successfully but it was just not for me!

Nigel I have every shape of dreamfields in the cupboard and I think I have only made it once - preferring to use my carb allotment on extra veggies. I know you have mentioned that weightloss has not been a big part of you starting lowcarb and then starting vegetarianism, but for me, since weightloss was the key thing - at least at first - it was important to change my habits completely as far as the composition of my vegetarian meals, from very high grain, as Sherril mentions. It worked fantastically and I have not really felt the need to add in too much in that regard. Yah I love the tomato based cheese dishes .. and have found my go-to Italian meal as a blackened eggplant parmagiana that I came up with which totally satisfies that craving in me, lol .. and is an awesome warm meal in the winter: http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...l#post13196225

I do eat lowcarb pita every day .. Joseph's Middle East Bakery Low Carb Pita Bread, so I am not a lowcarb purist by any stretch of the imagination, lol! and I think if I added in grains more regularly, it would be really healthy lc stuff, like quinoa which I make for dh all the time instead of rice. Getting off a white pasta-based diet makes it easier for me to think outside the box to the more healthy foods, I think. Also the dreamfields does raise enough people's blood sugar to deem it a little iffy for some - I can eat pretty high carb (up to 100 net) and still lose or maintain weight, so I am sure I could swing it, but I think it would be too easy to be tempted back to pasta at restaurants and social events where it is so difficult to eat as a vegetarian, never mind a lc vegetarian. Also, you would have to eat the lasagna immediately for the dreamfields to remain lowcarb. Apparently the starch blocking agent breaks down over time when the food is stored, etc.

Another product I have used is the Shirataki noodles which in my opinion are more suited to asian recipes than to italian style dishes - but are lowcarb. I also used to like a soybean pasta which would also be truly lowcarb but I think it is off the market now. Netrition carries almost all of these products..

Honestly, if I did not have a weight problem (had never had such a bad one), I would probably eat whole wheat pasta like Barilla brand, or my local market's brand - and that is what I serve my family exclusively. It is a far cry from the whole wheat pasta of years past!!! Weirdly having done this now for about 9 years (when I also changed over my family to more healthy grains), my 16 year old and my 11 year old prefer whole wheat pasta and whole wheat bread to white anything! They say it is chewier, lol! If your goal is good health and blood sugar regulation, there is no reason you cannot eat like that with brown rice, whole wheat bread, and whole wheat pasta .. you'll still be eating a heckuva lot less "bad carbs" than an average person in the western world.

Last edited by TaDa!; 02-07-2012 at 04:09 AM.. Reason: added a netrition link
Old 02-07-2012, 04:38 PM   #72
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Thanks for the info TaDa!
I know how difficult it is, believe me.
I don't actually count carbs, but I maintain a daily mental idea and have my own little rules (for lack of a better description) about how much I can and cannot get away with. If I eat pasta or corn or a potato, then I don't eat any type of LC bread, wrap, etc.

In the beginning, I counted every single thing that might even have had a smidgeon of a carb, but that was too extreme for me and I quickly burned out on that. I still usually don't figure out the net carbs. I keep forgetting to subtract the fiber.

I'm a work in progress....I got some almond cheese the other day at the Sprouts store, but I have yet to try it. Cool, dairy free and made from almonds. I forgot I had that too until just now. I'll post a product review as soon as I try it.

Have a great week!!
Old 02-10-2012, 07:22 PM   #73
Senior LCF Member

I'm looking forward to your review of the almond cheese. I have a Sprouts very close to me but I don't buy much from them except the low carb tortillas (3 net carbs each) and roasted pumpkin seeds. Trader Joe's doesn't sell those. I picked up someSweetLeaf liquid stevia from there the other day, but haven't used it yet. I think I'm going to make some of the almond thins and add some to it. I haven't made the oopsie rolls or the almond thins yet. They are on my list of things to do this weekend.
Old 02-11-2012, 04:34 PM   #74
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Glamour P!
Stats: Bigger than I should be..73 to go!
WOE: Vegetarian LC/LGL
Start Date: Every moment of everyday.
The info on thIs thread is fab.

Pauline...I've missed you friend! You remind me it is possible!
Glamour P! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 05:42 PM   #75
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lisamt
Stats: 200/187/130
WOE: LCHF
Start Date: December 2012
This thread inspired me to return to low carb and join the forum. Thank you so much!

When I did LC before, I was a meatatarian and hated most vegetables. This time around, I won't be eating meat and I've learned to love veggies. I keep some veggie burgers and meat analogues on hand for convenience, but don't like to rely on them too much. I love making seitan - in roasts to slice up for sammiches, as sausages, and in cutlet form.

I don't know if anyone here has tried soy curls, but they are a great source of protein for vegetarians who can tolerate soy. They are made from the whole soy bean and contain 5 carbs & 3 grams fiber per 3/4 cup. I like to use them in mock chicken or tuna salad.
lisamt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 06:38 PM   #76

Lisa - soy curls ... now that's something new!! hmmm .. where would I find it in, say, a whole foods? bulk bin? or is there a name brand you buy? might be interesting to try in some recipes ..is it less dense than dried soybeans or "soynuts"? more like a chip of sorts?

sounds interesting!

Glamour P .. are you still around Girl?!! miss you <3 Pauline
Old 03-09-2012, 10:38 PM   #77
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lisamt
Stats: 200/187/130
WOE: LCHF
Start Date: December 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaDa! View Post
Lisa - soy curls ... now that's something new!! hmmm .. where would I find it in, say, a whole foods? bulk bin? or is there a name brand you buy? might be interesting to try in some recipes ..is it less dense than dried soybeans or "soynuts"? more like a chip of sorts?

sounds interesting!

Glamour P .. are you still around Girl?!! miss you <3 Pauline
I haven't seen soy curls in bulk bins yet. They are like strips of pressed, dehydrated soybean. Sounds delicious, I know! They are supposed to be re-hydrated in broth or hot water and then cooked or prepared however you like. They have a flaky texture, kind of like tuna or shredded chicken.

When I make mock chicken salad, I break up the dry soy curls into smaller pieces, soak in hot veggie broth for 10-15 minutes, then let cool and mix with vegenaise, dijon mustard, celery, and onion. Adding diced dill pickle and kelp powder makes it more like tuna salad.

Another favorite of mine is to add a couple teaspoons of liquid smoke to the broth, and pan fry the soy curls until they are crispy.
lisamt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 11:01 PM   #78
Senior LCF Member

Wow, that sounds like a really interesting product. I'm going to look for it at my local Sprouts.
Old 03-10-2012, 06:17 AM   #79

I wonder how different that is then tvp? .. but tvp gets chewy .. hmmm, lol!!! I, personally, never look to simulate meat or like tuna or egg salad products, that never has appealed to me, but maybe I should check it out for other uses .. sounds like cool stuff, lol! Thanks Lisa!!!!!
Old 03-10-2012, 08:36 AM   #80
Senior LCF Member

I like the idea that it can sit dry on my pantry shelf, so when I'm out of other protein options, I still have one ready to use.