Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Vegetarian
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-26-2011, 12:52 PM   #31

Gallery: violetrose
WOE: The Metabolism Miracle
Start Date: 3/25/11
Well, I've decided to go lacto ovo vegetarian, for various reasons.

Today is day 1! Here I go!
violetrose is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-26-2011, 05:00 PM   #32
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: TaDa!
Stats: 236.5 /132.5/ 128-133 @5'3"
WOE: Atkins Maintenance (Vegetarian + Fish)
Start Date: 6/03 & Goal! 5/06
Oso - Glad that helped some!!

Violetrose - Nice! I hope it goes well for you!!! one weird induction-worthy meal I have been making lately ...

******Bowl of Cheddar Cabbage******

Spray frying pan with pam spray and place on the flame. Fill the pan 3/4 full of chopped cabbage (thickly sliced).

Once sauteed and yummy, add 1T butter and 2 oz grated cheddar, mix well and allow to melt ...

Pour into bowl and Eat!

Pauline
TaDa! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 08:01 AM   #33

Oh my gosh! This is the meal for me! I ADORE cabbage. I can eat it in any shape or form. Thank you so much for posting this Pauline. I can see you and I have the same food tastes. I'll definitely be making this.
Old 03-30-2011, 09:35 AM   #34

lol! Violetrose! I am eating another creation you might like right now for lunch .. I will go post it on that meal thread for you, lol!! It is not quite perfected as a recipe .. but tastes amazing: Daikon radish "potato pancakes" or "hashed browns" with cheddar ...

Ok yaah I am going crazy with the cheddar, lol lol!!
Old 03-30-2011, 09:45 AM   #35

ooh I can't wait for that recipe. Thanks Pauline!
Old 04-26-2011, 04:51 AM   #36
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: pendragginp
Annie, would you post your soymilk yogurt recipe for me?

Also, can anyone point me to the make-your-own TVP hamburger 'meat' recipe? I know I saw it once but for the life of me I can't find it! =}

THANKS SO MUCH for all the help here!
pendragginp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 05:13 AM   #37

TVP Hamburger ... 2 recipes ... Both are in the same thread.

I believe this is the better one, at post #17 by Sistertzu. Click this link to go there directly: http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...l#post13365529

Here is one I came up with. it is in the same thread, post #4. Click this to go there directly. : http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...l#post13196199

HTH!!!

Pauline
Old 04-26-2011, 01:12 PM   #38
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: annieS
WOE: vegetarian/JUDDD
Start Date: january to march 2011 / 2nd start 16 feb 2012
@pendragginp here is my recipe !!

you will need :
4 cups soymilk
half a commercial yogurt (plain, organic yogurt, either soy or dairy)
a dash of stevia
1 teaspoon vanilla powder

Heat the soy milk to 195° (90°C)
Add the vanilla and cool the milk to 122°F (50°C)
In a bowl mix the commercial yogurt with the stevia, add the cooled soy milk and mix well
Pour the milk into cups and place them in an oven at 105°F (40°C) for at least 6h. DO NOT TOUCH the oven during that time !!! Then transfer the yogurt to your refrigerator.
Wait 12 hours before you eat them !!

here you go
Old 04-26-2011, 06:38 PM   #39
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: pendragginp
Thank you, both of you! =) =)
pendragginp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 04:18 AM   #40
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Heidinem
Stats: 130/111/105 (5')
WOE: mostly pescetarian, moderate carbs
Start Date: November 1, 2009
Hi, I try to eat close to vegetarian but still using grass fed ground beef because I have to cook for my mom who likes meat. This is a great thread.

I worry about soy causing thyroid issues down the line so I avoid it. I know many of the diet guru doctors like Dr Weill still eat it. Thoughts?
Heidinem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 04:36 AM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heidinem View Post
Hi, I try to eat close to vegetarian but still using grass fed ground beef because I have to cook for my mom who likes meat. This is a great thread.

I worry about soy causing thyroid issues down the line so I avoid it. I know many of the diet guru doctors like Dr Weill still eat it. Thoughts?
My doctor has told me that applies to people who took soy supplements, i.e. pills - like for menopause, and that eating whole foods, like tofu, is perfectly safe for those of us without certain medical conditions.

If you would like a discussion of whether soy is ok, I suggest you start another thread, either here or on another board. Please let's keep this one on topic: how-to succeed at lowcarb vegetarian eating. Thanks!

Pauline
Old 05-03-2011, 05:22 PM   #42
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: walkingwoman1
Stats: 167/135/130
WOE: my own vegetarian adapted from Atkins
Start Date: December 2010
Hello, TaDa. I am vegetarian (not vegan) and I decided to try a vegetarian low-carb. So far, 5 days and 5 pounds. I am encouraged. This first week has been hard with keeping carbs under 20g/day. I am mostly eating eggs for breakfast, scrambled. For lunch, tofu slices toasted in walnut oil, sprinkled with sharp cheddar and a cup or two of arugula. I have a little mayo or mayo/mustard mix for dipping. At night, I have a large salad with spinach & arugula mixed with about 6 olives, mushrooms, and shredded cheese. I have tofu with the dinner salad in some form (toasted or scrambled). I vary a little each day by adding a few veggies, limited so that the carbs are under 20 per day. If I get hungry between meals (surprisingly not too often), I boil an egg or two or toast up more tofu. I hope I can keep this up but am so glad there are other vegetarians out there trying a vegetarian low-carb. Thank you for the suggestions! I hope to be adding some of them in week two and afterwards.
walkingwoman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 06:10 PM   #43

Wowowowowowow!!! Walkingwoman!! Good job!!!! You are doing so great!

Keep up the great work!!!

Pauline
Old 05-04-2011, 07:49 AM   #44
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: liahsmimi
I have used "Fage" Greek wholefat Yogurt...the lable says 7-9 carbs per cup.... (somewhere in that range)
I only would eat about half a cup of this ... does that qualify for lo carb vegetarian?

I have not seen it mentioned here...it is very rich and creamy... I love it mixed with a little salsa.
liahsmimi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 09:11 AM   #45

totally qualifies liah!! I ate plain yogurt during weightloss at times .. added articificial sweetener, ground flax and nuts .. just have to be careful on quantity since the nuts and flax can up that calorie count mightily!!

Salsa sounds goood with fage ... mmmmmm!
Old 07-06-2011, 01:28 AM   #46
Rua
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Rua
Stats: 130lbs / 126lbs / 110lbs
WOE: Little or no carbs veggie diet
Start Date: June 2011
awesome thread tada, youre a fountain of knowledge!!

Just wondering about yoghurt myself, i thought yoghurt and milk were no go for low carb diet? that only cheese and cream were ok from the dairy world?

maybe theres low carb yoghurt products that i cant get in ireland, would anyone be able to tell me what yoghurts they use and what the carb are in them?

Also tada, if you could point me in the direction of those Daikon radish "potato pancakes" sounds fabulous!

wonder whered id get those radishes though!
Rua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 03:45 AM   #47

lol Rua! You know when I started Atkins (I altered it to suit vegetarian eating), there was no yogurt mentioned in Atkins. A lot of people on these boards (non-vegetarians) had found that eating yogurt did not in any way affect their weightloss, so I decided to add yogurt in the Atkins rung that adds "soft cheeses" and did fine with it.

As far as what type - most would say that a lowcarber should choose full fat plain yogurt (no flavorings added), and then add their own. A plain yogurt will have something like 15 net carbs per cup and if you should choose lower fat, the carb amount will go up by 1 or 2. Those type of carbs never did affect me adversely.

In the new Atkins book that does address vegetarianism New Atkins For A New You, they do add yogurt in as well. I am not at home for a few weeks, but when I am, I can take a look to see what their recommendations are. (lol .. and I will be in Ireland for 2 weeks the end of August - dh is from Cavan - and I will be cooking and spending way too much time at the market .. I'll take a look when I get there, as I will have to find food to eat, myself!)

I really did fail miserably at the daikon pancakes .. still come out mushy .. but check out this thread with some recipes made from celeriac and from chayote squash. I did an image search to try and locate the veggies: http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...79-latkes.html

P
Old 07-06-2011, 01:17 PM   #48
Rua
Senior LCF Member

Thanks! im thinking maybe greek yoghurt after a few weeks will be ok to introduce in

aw wow, you been to ireland much? Bet the irish inlaws love your diet :P
not hugely veggie friendly in the irish country side, bit better in dublin but still not great

Thanks for the recipe, im loving experimenting with food, ive never been like this, im a terrible cook!
Old 07-06-2011, 02:24 PM   #49

Greek yogurt is perfect .. non-sweetened. Do tell me what brand you end up getting .. hahahaa it'll help me get a quick shopping trip in that first day when I'll be craaaazzzyyyyy .. Our first week - at least - will be in Cavantown during the Fleadh Cheoil so I am thinking trying to shop may be a difficult thing, lol!

Unfortunately both of dh's parents have passed .. but they always thought I was a bit odd anyhow -- being vegetarian, lol! not an easy thing back in the day, lol! but we got along very very well .. I have been many many times so I am used to things, and the changes over the past 20 years as far as food has been huge! The best places for some reasonable vegetarian food I found were in Dublin and Kinsale .. still .. carby!!

Cooking lowcarb vegetarian is challenging, but at least you'll be teaching yourself all new cooking habits!! One cool thing I did buy this year is a spiral vegatable slicer. Apparently it is big in Asia and there are various kinds. You use it to make noodles or "zoodles" out of squashes. I take them sauteed with garlic and then you can even throw jarred sauces on to them. My children love them with fettucine alfredo cream sauce on it. I am sure you can get something that does a similar job in Ireland. more info here: http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...placement.html

Pauline

p.s. if you decide you want one and can't find it, let me know and I can ask my sil in August - she finished chef school in Ireland recently .. she may know of an alternative there and where to get it ..
Old 07-07-2011, 02:01 AM   #50
Rua
Senior LCF Member

tbh i think there is only one greek 'style' yoghurt here and it only seemed to appear recently! lol
This...

Carbohydrates: 5.3g (Of which Sugars: 5.3g)

seems high to me :/

Its great that you get to visit here a good bit, must be a tough journey to make, hate long haul!
most places do all day breakfasts now so omlettes and fried eggs are usually an option when i go for lunch! salads are so bloody expensive though!!

That think looks awesome! ill look into that, my friend is a chef here too so ill ask her does she know it! thank you!
Old 07-07-2011, 06:20 AM   #51

Thanks very much Rua! Personal opinion ... 5 carbs that are yogurt carbs are perfectly ok, in my opinion!!

That is really great though!! I have to totally re-plan my meals for Ireland, and if I can find that yogurt, I will do that + flax and nuts as my breakfast while I'm there (yay!) .. hahahahaha I'll have to save eggs for the usual fry-up at "teatime", lol!

I think I will be trying a lot of quorn too as I recall that was my best option as far as processed veggie burger type stuff on my last trip .. hahahahaaa I had better like it!!! (I also have 2 vegetarian kids so I have to suit their tastes too .. dh eats half and half. I make him meat a few times a week but he likes vegetarian cooking just fine too).

That amazes me that many places are now doing breakfast all day - how amazing is that??! I used to dread going to hotels for the usual lunch buffet thing .. which as you know, meant mashed potatoes and vegetables for me .. no protein .. although I have noticed that Dublin is always ahead of the rest of the country culinary-wise ...
Old 07-07-2011, 06:56 AM   #52
Rua
Senior LCF Member

yea it all seems to happen in dub first lol.

i love quorn, that and linda McCartney range (dont see much of it anymore) plus tesco do a lot of veggie stuff now, their own range. then healthfood stores that have fridges usually have specialty items (meaning expensive!)

but i get quorn mince, chicken fillets, peppered steak, fake ham/chicken slices, meatballs, beefs pieces, sausages, rashers etc etc.
ALL yum imo!

you should easily find the greek yoghurt, just go to a big store in the countryside!

LOVE breakfasts and love even more that theyre done all day! hehe, but anywere you go in europe you find irish breakfast (usually all day!)

if you get to dublin, go to govindas, its hari krishna veggie food, i dont know enough about low carb to know if their food is but its amazing food!
Old 07-07-2011, 07:01 AM   #53
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Bobby_Boomer
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaDa! View Post
Vegetarian Proteins
<...>
The list of proteins
1. eggs
2. cheese, milk and yogurt<...>
Eggs: Animal, vegetable or mineral?
Cheese: Animal, vegetable or mineral?
Milk: Animal, vegetable or mineral?
Yogurt: Animal, vegetable or mineral?

Sounds like an omnivore diet and definitely not vegetarian.

But then there is nothing wrong with an omnivorous diet.

Bobby
Bobby_Boomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 09:44 AM   #54

Rua, Then I should have an interesting time in the market!!! Actually it is one of my favorite things to do .. in other countries I visit .. to go and shop in ther local markets! very interesting to see what they are like!!! For instance .. in Costa Rica .. very little in the way of cheeses, lol!!! I think my kid vegetarians will be interested in the Tesco meals .. but as we know, standard vegetarian meals tend to be based around grains or the almighty spud, lol!!!

We will definitely get to Dublin sometime during our stay .. if only to visit family and maybe a few places .. where is govindas? in Temple bar?

Bobby_Boomer This thread is for people who eat like this or have an interest in doing so fully or partially or however suits them. If you would like to start another thread on such a topic, please feel free to discuss your system of human categories/labels there, but please do not hijack this thread.

This thread is for those of us who eat like this. Those of us who do are not confused by the language already in the thread. It could be a topic for your own thread. Let's keep this one on topic

edited to say, you have already expresed your views on the topic here: Ex Vegetarian & now a meat eater. Needs results perhaps you could pick up your discussion right in there. Just a suggestion for you.

Pauline

Last edited by TaDa!; 07-07-2011 at 09:52 AM.. Reason: See underlined portion
Old 07-07-2011, 10:05 AM   #55
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Nigel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby_Boomer View Post
Eggs: Animal, vegetable or mineral?
Cheese: Animal, vegetable or mineral?
Milk: Animal, vegetable or mineral?
Yogurt: Animal, vegetable or mineral?

Sounds like an omnivore diet and definitely not vegetarian.

But then there is nothing wrong with an omnivorous diet.

Bobby
Vegans don't eat any animal based products.
Vegetarians eat dairy and such.
I'm more of a Flexatarian or Semi-Vegetarian...I could never be total Vegan.
Nigel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 03:08 AM   #56
Rua
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Rua, Then I should have an interesting time in the market!!! Actually it is one of my favorite things to do .. in other countries I visit .. to go and shop in ther local markets! very interesting to see what they are like!!! For instance .. in Costa Rica .. very little in the way of cheeses, lol!!! I think my kid vegetarians will be interested in the Tesco meals .. but as we know, standard vegetarian meals tend to be based around grains or the almighty spud, lol!!!

We will definitely get to Dublin sometime during our stay .. if only to visit family and maybe a few places .. where is govindas? in Temple bar?
Ha one of my favourite things to do on holidays is walk around supermarkets in other countries!! love looking at the different packaging!

if you go to govindas dot ie (i duno if im allowed post the link??) there is 3 govindas in dublin, all central really, two on southside and one on the northside. yum!

they do a paneer dish which is just amazing, the paneer is big chunks and they fill the plate to over flowing!

would a paneer dish in an indian be low carb do you know? (the creamy spinach one)
Old 07-08-2011, 05:51 AM   #57

Thanks so much Rua! I will go look at their site .. not sure exactly where in Dublin we will be when we get there .. probably a whirlwind trip, but it is good to know a place everyone in our party will like!

.. I just took a look and it looks like the one right off O'connell would probably be the one for us! thanks Rua!

Last edited by TaDa!; 07-08-2011 at 06:39 AM..
Old 07-08-2011, 06:13 AM   #58
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Bobby_Boomer
Quote:
Rua<....
Bobby_Boomer This thread is for people who eat like this or have an interest in doing so fully or partially or however suits them. If you would like to start another thread on such a topic, please feel free to discuss your system of human categories/labels there, but please do not hijack this thread. <...>
Pauline
I'm not trying to hijack the thread, but I am against abuse of the language, which is what someone who eats eggs and dairy but says they are a vegetarian.

Nothing wrong with being a lacto-ovo omnivore, but say it like it is.

I knew a girl who said she was a vegetarian because she only ate fish and fowl.

Where does the abuse of the language stop?

Years ago if you said you were a vegetarian that meant you ate no animal products at all. But now other people have hijacked the word to mean that you don't eat beef. Sorry for being a member of the language police, but please say what you mean.

BTW, I eat lots of soy and it doesn't bother my thyroid. But then it might affect some more than others.

Bobby
Bobby_Boomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 06:20 AM   #59

Back On Topic:

Rua, that's exactly what I always get at indian, lol! Over here the spinach dish is either called: palaak paneer or saag paneer. I also get the eggplant (baingan bhartha), and there are a few other I get from time to time. My local mixes things up sometimes. Later on in weightloss or maintenance, where I am now, I will eat some dal (lentils), chickpeas / garbanzo bean dishes, and especially the pakoras which are chickpea fritters sometimes filled with veg.

I will say that I have had Indian at various places here .. the spinach .. and could swear there might have been some potato in it. For that reason, and in general, I try to limit the restaurant meals. A one-time potato infusion isn't a big deal, lol! but I don't wanto mistakenly eat a lot of it.

Over here in the States, there are a lot of brands lately of Indian food packets in the supermarket and I have a few in the cupboard for the kids right now. The spinach paneer (Kohinoor brand) comes out to 9 net carbs for the entire packet. The other ones I have in there are carbier -- when I get home, I'll take a look at the eggplant one that I do eat occasionally ..

lol! We will definitely look for govindas ... all 4 of us looooove Indian and the spinach paneer, lol!
Old 07-10-2011, 05:22 AM   #60
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Off My Duff
Stats: 297/277/197
Thank you for this thread---and the cabbage recipe.
Off My Duff is offline   Reply With Quote