Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Vegetarian
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-27-2010, 05:44 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: liza15
Stats: 165/125
Favorite vegetarian low carb/high protein meals

HI!
Anyone have some favorite vegetarian recipes and meal ideas that are lower in carb?
liza15 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 10-27-2010, 10:04 PM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: toogood
Soup, soup, and more soup! I am reading the Kind diet by Alicia S. right now. She does talk about not eating white stuff but all the good whole grain. Lots of good recipes too. Here are my go to's right now.

1. Black beans and rice- the is a staple. I add this to stir fry veggies and eat it as dinner. Then pack it as a burrito for next day. (I have 3 kids and a husband so they eat what I make)

2. Veggie soup. Any veggie from farmer's market and just throw it all in a pot to simmer down. Add seasoning and eat for 3 days. Most of the time I eat it for breakfast and a snack.

3. Veggie tacos. Mashed potatoes with some soy chorizu for flavor. The potatoe is just cooked plain with no butter and mashed down. I fry the corn tortill in oil so this taco taste very authentic! Lots of homemade salsa and guac. No one miss meat or cheese.

4. Veggie spring roll. Any raw veggie wrapped in thin rice paper. I ususally shred red cabbage, carrots, cucumber, cut yellow and red bell pepper and cilantro.

5. Eggplant parmasean. Instead of cheese I do this. Mash a firm tofu and mix with a bag of frozen spinach. Add mashed garlic, salt, and olive oil then mix. Layer with the eggplants. It tastes like ricotta with spinach! That is how I make lasagna too.

I will post more once I can think of some other stuff that I have made recently.
toogood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 10:05 PM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: toogood
Opps, Liza just saw that you want low carbs! The eggplant is completely low carb if you don't bread the eggplant.
toogood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 11:01 AM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: liza15
Stats: 165/125
Favorite Sandwiches

1-slice ezekiel bread
mayonaise
3 slices veggie bologna
1/2 avocado
sliced tomato
alfalfa sprouts
(14 net carbs)

Roasted Vegetable Sandwich
red peppers, mushrooms, onions, eggplant, zucchini
provolone cheese
1-slice of foccia
liza15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 05:30 AM   #5
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: TaDa!
Stats: 236.5 /132.5/ 128-133 @5'3"
WOE: Atkins Maintenance (Vegetarian + Fish)
Start Date: 6/03 & Goal! 5/06
These are all LOWCARB dishes:

Baked Spinach Casserole (Lowcarb)

This is an entree if you eat lc vegetarian and I have portioned it out in very large pieces, so you could easily halve each and make it a side dish! Also, I tend to use ingredients that will lower the calorie count, sometimes sacrificing the carb level since I eat a few more net carbs than most people .. so if the nutrient values don't rock your world, play around with it some - you can sub whole eggs for the eggbeaters I have in there, sour cream or whole yogurt for the lowfat yogurt, etc etc etc. All that said, this is one of my faves of all time! And! it is always the first dish to be eaten whenever I have brought it to a party or a potluck .. it is my go-to dish for those functions so that there'll be something both vegetarian and lowcarb for me to eat (but I have to quickly grab a slice before it is gone!)

8 big servings

3 - 10 oz pkges frozen chopped spinach -- thawed and drained
3 - 4 oz cans of mushroom slices -- drained
4 whole large eggs
2 cups eggbeaters
3/4 cup lowfat yogurt
3/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
2 cups Hunt's Tomato Sauce
16 oz shredded mozzarella
1 teaspoon garlic salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
3 teaspoon basil

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 12x16 baking pan with cooking spray.

Beat eggs with a fork then stir in all the spices, the yogurt and the parmesan cheese.

Mix well then stir in the spinach and mushrooms.

Spoon into the prepared pan and tap to settle into an even layer.

Bake, uncovered, for 40 minutes then spread the sauce on top and sprinkle on the cheese. Bake an additional 15 minutes.

Let sit 15 minutes before cutting the casserole!

Calories 265, Net Carbs 7.4

Spinach, Leek and Feta Quiche (Lowcarb)

This is a recipe I converted to vegetarian. The original recipe was posted by Jennifer Eloff given to her by her Mother in Law, Kay, in South Africa and it rocks. See the original recipe here, and the directions/ingredients for the nut crust which I left out:

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...l#post13150107

My version leaves out the bacon, nut crust, and half the parmesan cheese. Substitutions are plain yogurt for the sour cream, and replacing some of the whole eggs with egg whites because those are standard items in my cupboard, and they help lower the total calorie count per serving so I can serve it with other yummy things.

My nine year old objected when I suggested that my older dd (also vegetarian) have the last two pieces the next night when the others have steak, lol!!! So it looks like I don't get another piece. It was a big hit!!!

Ingredients

* 11 oz Leeks (I measured one very large leek!)
* 1 10 oz pkge of Chopped Spinach (frozen)
* 3 Large Eggs
* 3 large Egg Whites
* 1 8 oz pkge Neufchatel 1/3 Less Fat Philadelphia Cream Cheese
* 1 container Plain Lowfat Yogurt (140 cal per cup)
* 4 oz Feta Cheese
* 1/4 cup Parm Cheese
* 4 Pam Cooking Spray

Directions

Start by spraying a cake pan with PAM spray to have ready for the quiche and set the oven to 350°F.

Cook leeks in PAM spray over medium heat until soft. Squeeze liquid out of spinach and add to leeks. In food processor or in bowl with electric mixer, process cream cheese. Add yogurt; process. Add eggs one at a time, while processing, until smooth. Stir in feta cheese and Parmesan cheese. Pour mixture over vegetables; stir to combine well. Now pour the mixture in to your oiled pan.

Bake in 350°F (180°C) oven 50 minutes, or until set. Allow to stand 10 minutes before cutting.

Nutritional Count per Serving (6 slices)

Calories 251
Total Fat 16.93g
Total Carbohydrate 7.31g
...Dietary Fiber -1.48g
...Yogurt exception -2g
Net Carbohydrate 3.83g
Protein 15g
Notes:

Blackened Eggplant Parmagiana (Lowcarb)

12-16 oz eggplant (one nice sized eggplant)
1T olive oil
garlic salt
dried basil
A Cast Iron Frying Pan
.33 cup Tomato Puree (in can)
2 oz mozzarella
1T dry parmesan cheese
Frank's Hot Sauce

I ignore the old foodie way to prep eggplant. I never find it bitter AT ALL - so I dispense with the salt step.

What I do. Put 1T olive oil in cast iron frying pan. Slice up between 12 oz-16 oz of eggplant, then halve the slices into half-moons or quarters depending on how huge they are.

Throw them in the pan, stove on high. Sprinkle with garlic salt and dried basil. Let em cook a little bit, then flip over (do not worry about doing this evenly, getting the spices everywhere or anything like that. it does not make any difference in the end result, lol!). Now cover with a lid so they can steam while they cook.

Flip 'em over every time they smell like they are burning or whenever you remember (You are not frying them, but blackening them campfire-style roasty eggplant.). When they are soft - after a few minutes - turn them out onto a plate, throw on some pureed tomato, some grated parmesan cheese and some mozzarella (remember: you have already seasoned with the garlic salt and basil).

I then zap in the micro until the cheese melts (1min40secs in my micro). Liberally shake on the Frank's Hot Sauce (original) ... it is a very important ingredient giving both heat and a peppery flavor ..

And voila! Dinner! Now I eat a very big portion, so you may find you are just fine with 9-10 oz of the eggplant. I sometimes adjust the amount depending on how many carbs I did that day, and at one point was using even less tomato puree too for that reason.

The other day I was out of cheese and considered subbing in an ounce cream cheese and mixing it with the tomato puree .. I think that or ricotta would be nice too ...

SisterTzu's (highly-rated!!!!) Homemade Burger Crumbles (Lowcarb)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sistertzu View Post
I'm not into fake meat stuffs, but I have been working on a recipe for soy crumbles that turned out really well for whatever you would use hamburger. The ones in the store have so many ingredients and are quite expensive ... It freezes well. So many flavor possibilities. Sausage spices would be great. I haven't made patties with it yet. I am going to try different ingredients for the chia powder too like almond or soy flour.
1 cup textured vegetable protein
1/4 cup ground flax (I used light seeds)
1/4 cup chia seeds (ground in coffee grinder)
salt or salt seasoning to taste (pappys 50% less salt)
pepper to taste
2 T soy sauce or equivalent
garlic /onion to taste
oil /clarified butter for sauteing
1 cup boiling water or broth

Ok, put everything except chia powder and oil in a large mixing cup
add water or broth, stir, let sit an hour.
add chia powder stir, it will be sticky and weird
heat skillet add fat of your choice
saute, browning and breaking up as desired
cook until the moisture is evaporated and it's nicely browned

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Other ideas for fake "Ground Meat":

Use as a substitute for ground beef in any of Linda Sue's recipes calling for ground meat. My favorite way (Tada! here) to use burger crumbles is in Linda Sue’s recipe for Mexican Spinach Lasagna.

Taco Salad- eat over a bed of salad with chopped tomato, shredded cheddar, avocado or guacamole

Burrito - Wrap ingredients from Taco Salad into a lowcarb pita or other lc wrap or tortilla product

Mexican Omelette - Omelette with Taco Meat, cheddar and chopped tomato filling

One important thing to note is that anytime a vegetarian protein source is substituted for meat in a recipe, the carb count will be higher for the total recipe.
TaDa! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 05:41 AM   #6

Noodles and Pastas For Lowcarbing Vegetarians

Sherataki, Sheratake, Miracle noodles are all another good vegetarian option. I use House Brand Tofu Sherataki which I can find at Whole Foods in the refrigerated section. They come in a weird bag filled with water.

These noodles lend themselves more to Asian cuisine than to Italian cuisine. The texture of them does not allow for the soaking in of sauces the way regular pasta does. There are multiple threads on this website discussing them and giving recipes, so if you are very interested, do a search!

Cooking Technique: There is some prep work before these can be used in recipes. It is basically a 2-step process, rinse and pan-dry.

I simply slit the top of the bag, pour out the liquid and then run under the faucet, rinsing right in the bag. Meanwhile I heat a non-stick pan, sometimes spray it with PAM or use oil. After rinsing, I throw the noodles in there and heat them until all the water has dried and now they are ready to be used in recipes!

My Favorite (quick!!) Sheratake Recipes:
After rinsing and drying them in a hot pan as described above:

1) Pour 1.5T melted butter on top and garnish with 2T parmesan cheese. Lovely with a side of green veggie. One variation I love is to panfry about a cup of chopped green cabbage and a cup of sliced mushrooms and added it to the noodles, butter and parm (3T).

2) Make Ramen Noodles!!!! Make a cube of Knorr vegetarian bouillon (from the soup aisle), throw in your prepared noodles and add a few tablespoons of sour cream (and sliced green onions, and/or cubes of fresh tofu if you like) ... killer good!!!

Vegetables as Pasta Substitute: I actually mostly eat the various Italian sauces from high carb vegetarian days, poured with the lovely cheeses and cream, right over a bed of sauteed spinach, or other green vegetables. I love sauteed cabbage as noodles too! And when I go out to eat Italian, I always have the restaurants do this for me and I often get comments from the chef or waiter .. on how amazing it looks and how they'll consider adding it to their menu! lol!

There are many lowcarb recipes out there for lasagna made with either slices of summer squash and zucchini, or cabbage in lieu of noodles. Margo DeMello has an lc vegetarian one in her cookbook, however all the meat recipe versions can be altered to make them vegetarian .. you can either use SisterTzu's soy crumbles, ones from the freezer section of the market, or leave them out entirely and make it a cheese lasagna!

Dreamfields Pasta: There are other options than vegetables though. Many have found the Dreamfields pasta products to be a good occasional option. The taste and texture is exactly like regular semolina pasta using a resistant starch that makes your body not absorb the carbs .. it is still carbier than a lot of the foods I eat so I have not had a lot of this. My family, though, cannot tell the difference between it and regular pasta. For a lot of lengthy discussion of this product and it's carb claims, do a search for the many threads here on this subject.

Buon Appetito (or something like that ... lol!)

Pauline
Old 11-07-2010, 05:26 PM   #7

Crockpot Black Bean Chili
Makes 4 servings

8 oz dried black beans (or a mix with red beans for fun)
1 16 oz package frozen broccoli
2 cans mild Rotel or "diced tomato with mild chiles"
1 jar salsa
1 onion
cloves of garlic to taste
cheddar shreds and sour cream to garnish

The night before serving, rinse the beans, any carefully check for any stones or debris. Soak them in water overnight.

In the morning, rinse the beans again and set them in a crockpot at the lowest setting. Add the Rotel and jar of salsa to the crockpot. Saute the onion and garlic and add them to the crockpot.

Add the frozen broccoli half way through the day. Serve topped with cheddar and a sour cream garnish. FYI, unlike the note in the original recipe below, the broccoli does get soft and works well in the recipe that way.

This is appropriate to the Atkins OWL Legume Level or Maintenance, however if you want to use black soybeans to get a much lower carb count, you can make the original version I pasted below using the canned soybeans. Apparently it is inadvisable to cook dried soaked soybeans with acidic sauces like tomato as it will toughen the skin of the bean. the soybeans are supposed to be cooked before added to a tomato-based sauce. I do plan to try out a method of crockpotting this with soybeans .. maybe with cooking in the crockpot with broth first or something. If I work it out, I will post it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by magentagirl13 View Post
Here's my vegetarian chili recipe. I got it from that yoga weight loss memoir (I can't remember the author or title)

2 cans black beans, drained
1 16 oz package frozen broccoli
2 cans mild Rotel
1 jar salsa
1 onion
cloves of garlic to taste

Chop and saute onion and then add garlic.
Add beans, tomatoes, and salsa.
Simmer for a little while, then add broccoli. I usually simmer this for another 30 minutes; the broccoli doesn't get yucky.

Serve with grated cheese if you want.

This is super good!
Old 04-13-2011, 06:27 AM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: pendragginp
I see that this is an old thread but I just wanted to let you know how helpful it is! I've been on and off low carb for years, but am just starting to explore low carb in a vegetarian way. Thank you! =)
pendragginp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 05:40 PM   #9

Gallery: Purrgirl
Stats: 146/128 5'6
WOE: Vegetarian
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaDa! View Post
These are all LOWCARB dishes:

Baked Spinach Casserole (Lowcarb)

This is an entree if you eat lc vegetarian and I have portioned it out in very large pieces, so you could easily halve each and make it a side dish! Also, I tend to use ingredients that will lower the calorie count, sometimes sacrificing the carb level since I eat a few more net carbs than most people .. so if the nutrient values don't rock your world, play around with it some - you can sub whole eggs for the eggbeaters I have in there, sour cream or whole yogurt for the lowfat yogurt, etc etc etc. All that said, this is one of my faves of all time! And! it is always the first dish to be eaten whenever I have brought it to a party or a potluck .. it is my go-to dish for those functions so that there'll be something both vegetarian and lowcarb for me to eat (but I have to quickly grab a slice before it is gone!)

8 big servings

3 - 10 oz pkges frozen chopped spinach -- thawed and drained
3 - 4 oz cans of mushroom slices -- drained
4 whole large eggs
2 cups eggbeaters
3/4 cup lowfat yogurt
3/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
2 cups Hunt's Tomato Sauce
16 oz shredded mozzarella
1 teaspoon garlic salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
3 teaspoon basil

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 12x16 baking pan with cooking spray.

Beat eggs with a fork then stir in all the spices, the yogurt and the parmesan cheese.

Mix well then stir in the spinach and mushrooms.

Spoon into the prepared pan and tap to settle into an even layer.

Bake, uncovered, for 40 minutes then spread the sauce on top and sprinkle on the cheese. Bake an additional 15 minutes.

Let sit 15 minutes before cutting the casserole!

Calories 265, Net Carbs 7.4
This recipe sounds delicious. I will have to make it for DH and I.

I don't count carbs, but I do watch my calories.
Purrgirl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 06:50 AM   #10
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Nigel
I take dreamfields pasta and cook some up.

Then I saute some veggies, whatever is in the fridge.

Then I add in some cottage cheese and the pasta to the veggies.

It's pretty tasty and creamy.

I don't usually measure when I cook, so its hard to post an exact recipe.

I'd say like 1/3 of a small onion, half a bell pepper, a carrot shredded, a zucchini or other squash, maybe some mushrooms, a handful, a small can of drained diced tomatoes and a little italian seasoning.

If I have broccoli or cauliflower, I chop them pretty small. Mostly I try to keep the veggies cut about the same size for even cooking.

This dish is simple and can be changed by whatever vegetables you use.
You can leave out the cottage cheese too and it's just as good.

I usually am tired after work, so fast and easy meals just work out better for me.
On the weekends, I spend more time cooking.
Nigel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 04:55 PM   #11

oops .. wrong location

Last edited by TaDa!; 10-02-2011 at 04:58 PM..
Old 02-10-2012, 08:01 PM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Sherril
Stats: 207/188.6/125
WOE: Low-carb lacto-ovo vegetarian
Start Date: 11/09 the first time 2/12 this time
Arti-cheesy Fake Chicken

Probably my most favorite Low carb dinner is Arti-Cheesy Fake Chicken. It's a vegetarian spin-off I came up with from this allrecipe.

My recipe: ARTI-CHEESE FAUX CHICKEN

1 pound fresh mushrooms, sliced
1 zucchini sliced and cut in half moons
1/2 cup diced onions
1 package chicken strips, rough chopped
1 (12 ounce) pkg frozen baby artichokes, thawed, water pressed out and chopped (I buy them at Trader Joe's)
1/2 jar alfredo sauce
1 pint heavy cream
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese, the good stuff
1 tablespoon garlic, minced
1 -2 tsp Italian seasoning
salt and pepper to taste
1 (6 ounce) package feta cheese, crumbled - I like the flavored kind

Saute the mushrooms, zucchini, and onions until soft. Add the artichokes and chicken, stir to heat. Add the rest of the ingredients and cook until bubbly and all the cheese is melted.

Serve over steamed cabbage, spaghetti squash, or just eat it with a fork. The cheese sort of holds it together.

I can't believe this is a WOE that allows me to eat this. It's delicious! I usually get 5-6 large servings.

What category would I put this in in the recipe thread?

Last edited by Sherril; 02-10-2012 at 08:04 PM..
Sherril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 03:35 PM   #13
Senior LCF Member

Anyone got any great new recipes? It's been kinda dead over here. I made a mini cinnamon muffin top recipe this week and used flaxmeal. Does it usually give you a slimy mouth feel? It felt like I'd used too much xanthan gum, but I didn't use any!

Lots of splenda cream cheese frosting makes them better!
Old 03-10-2012, 09:05 PM   #14
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lisamt
Stats: 200/187/130
WOE: LCHF
Start Date: December 2012
I made this for dinner, and it turned out really good! The seitan is best made ahead of time and can even be done the day before. About the steaming method - I use the steamer basket from my pressure cooker in a big pot, but there are also steamer pots available with the basket built in. It's worth looking into if you wish to make seitan regularly and of course a steamer can be used for cooking vegetables as well.

Sorry for the lengthy recipe, it's really simple and not much work at all. The chickpea or soy flour can be left out but I've found they make a big difference in the texture, making for a more tender seitan. Just plain gluten tends to be a bit rubbery.

Seitanic Sausage Pizza
First make the seitan:
1/2 cup vital wheat gluten
1 tablespoon chickpea or soy flour
1 garlic clove, minced OR 1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon italian seasoning
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
1 tablespoon nutritional yeast (optional)
1/2 cup water
1 tablespoon olive oil
Stir dry ingredients together with the garlic, pour in the water & oil, and mix with a fork until there are no dry spots left. Tear off a large piece of foil, place the seitan dough on it, and pat into a thin circle or rectangle. Fold the foil over the dough, sealing it well. My steamer basket is only about 9 inches wide so I made the dough just big enough to fit.

Heat water in a steamer pot until simmering and place seitan in the steamer basket. Cover and let steam over medium heat for 30-35 minutes. Let the seitan cool in the foil for at least 30 minutes, then refrigerate if not using right away.

When it's time to make the pizza, heat your oven to 350F. Remove foil from the cooked seitan and place it in a pie plate or on a baking sheet. Spread 3-4 tablespoons of marinara or pizza sauce on the seitan. Sprinkle with parmesan and cover with sliced mozzarella and/or provolone. Bake for 15 minutes. Cut into slices and eat! Makes 4-5 servings, depending on how big you slice it.

I don't have an exact carb count but would estimate the entire recipe to be around 25 grams. I use Bob's Red Mill vital wheat gluten, which has 12 carbs, no fiber, and 46 grams of protein for 1/2 cup. Chickpea flour has 4.5 carbs, 1 gram fiber, and just a trace of protein per tablespoon. Soy flour is only 2 carbs with 1 gram of fiber per tablespoon. I made my own pizza sauce with crushed tomatoes, garlic, and oregano; no added sugar.

For a dairy free version, use vegan parmesan (Galaxy Foods or Parma) and Follow Your Heart Vegan Gourmet mozzarella. The FYH mozzarella has around 4 carbs and 2 grams fiber per ounce.
lisamt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 01:07 PM   #15
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Thanks for the recipe. When I get some cooking time, I'll give it a try. I've been wanting to make seitan for some time now.
Old 03-11-2012, 09:15 PM   #16
Senior LCF Member

Do you have any other seitan recipes? I made it once and yes, it turned out rubbery. I used the ribblet recipe that someone has a youtube video on how to make.
Old 03-12-2012, 06:37 PM   #17
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherril View Post
Do you have any other seitan recipes? I made it once and yes, it turned out rubbery. I used the ribblet recipe that someone has a youtube video on how to make.
Hi Sherril, my favorite way to make seitan is in sausage form. Julie Hasson pioneered the steaming method, which makes cooking seitan almost foolproof.

You could substitute different herbs/spices if you don't want italian flavor.

Spicy Italian Vegetarian Sausage | Everyday Dish
Old 03-14-2012, 01:54 PM   #18
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Margurite0821
Just some quick ideas - I have been making parmesean crusted tofu a lot lately. Dip extra-firm tofu into beaten eggs and then into shredded parm. Fry in a pan with butter. It's delicious. Sunday, I made zucchini pasta with my newly purchase spirooli and sauteed it with garlic, fresh baby heirloom tomatoes, basil and then added cream and parm. cheese -- I used two zucchini's worth and got three meals out of it. I''ve been vegetarian for years but fairly new to the low-carb version so I am always looking for new ideas.
Margurite0821 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 04:02 PM   #19
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

That sounds good. Did you have to freeze the tofu first? I haven't ever used it, but I've read about it quite a bit and a lot of recipes say its better to freeze it first...I don't remember why right now.
Old 03-25-2012, 12:30 PM   #20
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigel View Post
That sounds good. Did you have to freeze the tofu first? I haven't ever used it, but I've read about it quite a bit and a lot of recipes say its better to freeze it first...I don't remember why right now.
Freezing is supposed to give it a chewier texture but I don't care for the texture of frozen and thawed tofu. I just press the tofu to get most of the water out. Place the block of tofu in a colander over a bowl, cover with a kitchen towel or plastic wrap and set something heavy on it for an hour or longer.
Old 07-21-2012, 01:58 PM   #21
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

where is everyone at lately?
Old 08-12-2012, 06:06 AM   #22
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: MaryMary
Stats: Then 376 / Now 149.6
Start Date: Jan 2001
I just found this thread and will be adapting some of these for my food plan. I have been evolving into a vegetarian. I have had meat once in the last six weeks. So now I am at the point where I am looking for things to make. I can work with some of these meals above. Thanks to you all.
MaryMary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 12:18 PM   #23
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Glad to see you here, Mary, Mary. I hope come and visit us often.
Old 08-12-2012, 04:52 PM   #24
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: MaryMary
Stats: Then 376 / Now 149.6
Start Date: Jan 2001
I tried freezing the tofu yesterday and then slicing and draining off the water. There really wasn't all that much water that came out. It was the high protein tofu from Trader Joe's and does not sit in water but is vacuum packed. Anyway, then I cooked it in the toaster oven with Walden Farms BBQ sauce. It was pretty good. Next time I might let it sit in the BBQ sauce like a marinate for a bit before cooking it. But I only eat this sort of thing for a lunch meal because I have my favorite meals for breakfast and supper in place. So lunchtime is the variable where I experiment.

MaryMary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 02:49 PM   #25
Deb

Gallery: Deb
Quote:
Originally Posted by toogood View Post

5. Eggplant parmasean. Instead of cheese I do this. Mash a firm tofu and mix with a bag of frozen spinach. .
i have a case of frozen spin..think it would turn out the same?
Deb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 12:55 AM   #26
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I don't know much about frozen spinach, except it's not one of the things I care to eat. It might be worth a try though...that's how I figure out if most things will work...just try a little, then you don't waste ingredients if it isn't to your liking.

Maybe someone else will post that has more experience with frozen spinach.
Old 08-19-2012, 04:06 PM   #27
Deb

i like the frozen spinach for making fitatta's
Old 08-20-2012, 06:44 PM   #28
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: MargD
Stats: 134/118/115 (Orig. 180)
WOE: Pescatarian/LC/4:3
Start Date: May, 2011
Made this twice over the weekend--so good!

AVOCADO ZUCCHINI LIME SALAD

1/2 zucchini -- made into spaghetti "pasta" with spiral slicer (if you don't have a spiral slicer, you can just slice ribbons of zucchini with a vegetable peeler).
1 avocado -- peeled and chopped
1 roma tomato -- chopped
1 teaspoon minced garlic -- (or more to your liking)
1 tablespoon cilantro -- (or 2 tbsp fresh)
1 shallot -- chopped
1/2 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
1 tablespoon lime juice

In medium serving bowl, combine zucchini pasta, chopped avocado, chopped tomato, minced garlic, chopped onion, and toss together. Drizzle olive oil over all and then lime juice and toss again. (I did not really measure for either the oil or the lime. I'm guessing at these amounts. If you start with these measurements and add more if you like, you can judge for yourself how much you want.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

3 Servings/Per Serving: 148 Calories; 13g Fat (70.9% calories from fat); 2g Protein; 9g Carbohydrate; 3g Dietary Fiber

It's from this website: Ginny's Low Carb Kitchen: Avocado Zucchini Lime Salad
MargD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 02:14 PM   #29
Deb

yum MargD
Old 08-23-2012, 02:40 PM   #30
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: MargD
Stats: 134/118/115 (Orig. 180)
WOE: Pescatarian/LC/4:3
Start Date: May, 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mel 7 View Post
yum MargD
It was definitely yummy. I just noticed the serving size is 3. I ate the whole thing by myself...twice!
MargD is online now   Reply With Quote