Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Vegetarian
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-19-2010, 09:10 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: ga_kimmie
Stats: 181/146/120
WOE: Primal Blueprint
Start Date: August 12, 2009
Meat-Free Monday - Need Veggie Recipe Suggestions

We've already tried to make the shift to eating meat that was raised organically (at a minimum) and naturally and locally when possible. However, I'd like to reduce the insane amounts of meat we consume and up the volume of veggies for environmental reasons. I've always been a huge meat eater so I'm going to take baby steps when reducing our consumption - starting with meat-free Mondays and then expanding once I get a single day per week mastered. I'd like to maintain low carb eating which incorporating more vegetarian (including dairy and eggs as ingredients for now) dishes. What are your favorite suggestions?
ga_kimmie is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 02-19-2010, 10:13 AM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: BikerAng
Stats: 195/167/155 5'9"
WOE: Atkins - organic & humanely raised
Start Date: Feb 2007
Quiches are a great way to eat meatless for dinner. I've been limiting meat to 1 meal a day to reduce the amount of meat DH and I eat. I'm with you, locally raised meats (grass fed for beef, pastured for chicken, wild seafood) and the cost helps us reduce the amount. I eat a lot of salads and use hard boiled eggs and cheese for protein. I end up eating a lot of eggs, but I they are local and pastured.
BikerAng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 11:10 PM   #3
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: emmaegbert
Stats: 203/169/165
WOE: whole food, ovo-lacto vegetarian, low carb
Start Date: January 2010
I've been making a really easy coconut milk curry kind of dish... with cauliflower, tofu, a little carrot, a little onion, green onion, garlic, ginger, curry... saute stuff in coconut oil (spices and oniony stuff first, then tofu cubes until browned a bit on the sides.) Then throw in cut up veggies. Pour in a can of coconut milk, more water if needed to cover things, cook until just tender, season with hot pepper, soy sauce, salt, etc. I usually use some veggie bullion and/or miso paste. I am sure you could get away with frozen veggies.

Hope that helps.

We're a totally vegetarian household so I of course cook veg every night... never sure what to answer when people ask me "what do you eat" since to me it all feels like... food.

Braised greens are nice, you can add a can of black soybeans or other beans if you are not a bean-o-phobe towards the end. Or, you can just cook down a bit, squeeze some lemon, sprinkle nuts or seeds on top.

And of course egg dishes are good.
emmaegbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 07:55 AM   #4
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Strawberry
I have been eating a lot less meat just due to cost. Although I "cheat" in some sense because I frequently use chicken stock in soups (my personaly goal isn't to be vegetarian, its just to be able to afford dinner!)

Frequently I have soup and salad for dinner... often is a big veggie filled minestrone or cabbage soup or broccoli cheese or cream of roasted red pepper, etc.

Several weeks ago, I had stir fry made with chunks of tofu, an array of veggies, and an egg scrambled into the mix (like in stir fried rice).

A veggie casserole or something like lasangna made with slices of zucchini or grilled (or pan sauteed) eggplant in place of noodles... and it has to have a big rich layer of ricotta cheese!

This is what I want to try making for dinner tonight:
cauliflower and caramelized onion tart | smitten kitchen
I plan to sub cottage cheese for the mascapone (to get more protein and calcium in and make it healthier), and to just leave off the crust. I'll probably have some salad with it.
That site also has several great vegetarian recipes that I modify to make lower carb... like the mushroom bourguignon.

Rachael ray has a couple mushroom fake-out recipes on her website that use mushrooms instead of meat. Look for the "portabella bolongese" and "portabella cacciatore" Serve with spaghetti squash or zucchini noodles.

And then Linda Sue's pizza's that use egg as a base for the "crust" are all natural ingredients. Just use vegetable toppings. Again, I often sub cottage cheese blended in the food processor or blender to make creamy, in place of the cream cheese so that I get more protein.
The other day I did a base of alfredo sauce, sauteed mushrooms, sundried tomatoes, roasted garlic, and fresh basil on top.. with an italian cheese blend to smother!
Linda's Low Carb Menus & Recipes
Linda's Low Carb Menus & Recipes

Last edited by Strawberry; 02-20-2010 at 08:05 AM..
Strawberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 08:50 AM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: tamari
WOE: no guilt allowed
Are you eating any beans or grains? I went veggie for Lent a few years ago and have a few recipes that I really liked, but they're not induction friendly. I also really like the meat-free Monday idea!

Last edited by tamari; 02-20-2010 at 08:51 AM..
tamari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 08:52 AM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strawberry View Post
I plan to sub cottage cheese for the mascapone (to get more protein and calcium in and make it healthier), and to just leave off the crust. I'll probably have some salad with it.
That site also has several great vegetarian recipes that I modify to make lower carb... like the mushroom bourguignon.
I saw this yesterday as well; it looks AMAZING. I also wanted to try it crustless, let us know how it turns out!
Old 02-20-2010, 12:18 PM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: ga_kimmie
Stats: 181/146/120
WOE: Primal Blueprint
Start Date: August 12, 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by butters View Post
Are you eating any beans or grains? I went veggie for Lent a few years ago and have a few recipes that I really liked, but they're not induction friendly. I also really like the meat-free Monday idea!
No. Right now I'm not losing at a pace that would allow me to incorporate beans or grains. In fact, since I added coconut oil two weeks ago, I've gained two pounds (even though I sub it for butter)...grrrr.

I did talk to my egg farmer this morning and he's got extra chickens he wants to sell me in a few weeks. I'm so excited because I personally met them (the chickens) today, know him, know how they were raised and since they come from .1 mile away, I don't feel bad about the enviormental impact since there's really no processing, packaging or transportation involved.

Maybe we'll have meat-free Mondays and chicken Tuesdays
ga_kimmie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 12:33 PM   #8
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Strawberry
Oh yeah... I should have clarified... I definitely wont be making the crust on the cauliflower tart! LOL

Also, post #7 of this thread has a recipe for mushroom/nut "burgers"
other vegetarians who are low carb and eat natural foods?
Strawberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 03:11 PM   #9
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Julieanne71
Stats: 127/120
WOE: Clean
Do you eat tofu at all? Keep in mind that I was a junk food junkie and used to think chicken was for health nuts so if I can try tofu anyone can! I have "Tofu Tuesday" at my house every Tuesday night. My favorite dish is quick, easy and delish! Buy extra firm tofu and 1 small eggplant. Cut the entire contents of 1 container of tofu into small cubes and place in a greased baking pan. Slice up the eggplant and layer the slices over the tofu. Poor 2 cans of diced tomatoes(I buy organic with no added salt) over the mixure. Add whatever seasonings you like, cover and back at 350 for 30 minutes. I sprinkle some shredded cheese over it and it is amazingly good. Depending on how many calories you eat, you can get either 3-4 servings out of this.
Julieanne71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 08:41 AM   #10
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: BikerAng
Stats: 195/167/155 5'9"
WOE: Atkins - organic & humanely raised
Start Date: Feb 2007
DH and I had this last night for dinner. It's very filling but a bit higher carb. I made grilled cheese sandwiches to go with it (I used Ezekiel bread, but you could use any LC bread). I made a variation of this soup using fresh roma tomatoes (but you really need a Vitamix to blend up the seeds/skin). I'm going to post that recipe in the Vitamix thread in the recipe area.

Homemade Tomato Soup

Ingredients
1 (14-ounce) can chopped tomatoes
3/4 cup extra virgin olive oil (I only used about 1/2 this amount, and I used rice bran oil)
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 stalk celery, diced
1 small carrot, diced
1 yellow onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 cup chicken broth
1 bay leaf
2 tablespoons butter
1/4 cup chopped fresh basil leaves
1/2 cup heavy cream, optional

Directions

Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.

Strain the chopped canned tomatoes, reserving the juices, and spread onto a baking sheet, season with salt and pepper, to taste, drizzle with 1/4 cup of the olive oil and roast until caramelized, about 15 minutes.

Meanwhile, in a saucepan, heat remaining olive oil over medium-low heat. Add the celery, carrot, onion and garlic, cook until softened, about 10 minutes. Add the roasted chopped canned tomatoes, reserved tomato juices, chicken broth, bay leaf and butter. Simmer until vegetables are very tender, about 15 to 20 minutes. Add basil and cream, if using. Puree with a hand held immersion blender until smooth.
BikerAng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 09:10 AM   #11
Major LCF Poster!

I've made this many times in the past. I serve it with stir fried veggies (whatever veggies I have on hand, seasoned with Sriracha, soy sauce, a touch of local honey, and sesame oil). The site I got it from states that the carb count is only 3.

Asian Baked Tofu

12 ounces firm tofu

Marinade
2 tablespoons dark sesame oil
2 tablespoons tamari soy sauce
1 tablespoon rice wine or sake or dry sherry
1 tablespoon rice vinegar or cider vinegar
1 garlic clove, minced
2 tablespoons finely minced onions
1 teaspoon grated fresh gingerroot
3 tablespoons water
1/2 teaspoon hot chili paste, to taste (optional)

1. For best results, tofu should be "pressed" in order to remove excess liquid and absorb the flavors of the marinade.
2. Press tofu block between two plates, weighted down with a cast iron pan, large bowl of water, or heavy cans, for about 30 minutes.
3. Halfway through, you may dump the plate of water and flip the tofu block.
4. To make marinade, simply whisk together the ingredients in a bowl.
5. After tofu is pressed, cut the block into small cubes or triangles.
6. Place pieces of tofu into baking dish, and cover with the marinade.
7. The tofu can sit overnight in the marinade, or can be prepared right away.
8. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
9. Bake tofu about 35-45 minutes, or until all the liquid is absorbed.
10. Tofu can be eaten by itself, or added to stir-frys, salads, soups or sandwiches.

Last edited by tamari; 02-22-2010 at 09:12 AM..
Old 02-22-2010, 07:27 PM   #12
Thick and Delicious

Gallery: CARLINI
Stats: 303/252/140
WOE: Eating REAL food
Start Date: 2/14/2004
I like the idea of meatless mondays. I think we may try this...
CARLINI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 04:57 AM   #13
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: MagicalHome
[QUOTE=ga_kimmie;13157796]We've already tried to make the shift to eating meat that was raised organically (at a minimum) and naturally and locally when possible. However, I'd like to reduce the insane amounts of meat we consume and up the volume of veggies for environmental reasons. I've always been a huge meat eater so I'm going to take baby steps when reducing our consumption - starting with meat-free Mondays and then expanding once I get a single day per week mastered. I'd like to maintain low carb eating which incorporating more vegetarian (including dairy and eggs as ingredients for now) dishes. What are your favorite suggestions?[/QUOTE

Hi a sort of sharing what i have learn ... im fun of reading books.. special books that are very particular with the food and body . I fun of collecting health&Home every year and i learn many thing there specially health thoughts ...here is some learning i want to share it is up to you if you accept

A large body of scientific literature suggests that the consumption of a diet of whole grains, legumes, vegetables, nuts, and fruits, with the avoidance of meat and high-fat animal products, along with a regular exercise program is consistently associated with lower blood cholesterol levels, lower blood pressure, less obesity and consequently less heart disease, stroke, diabetes, cancer, and mortality (1,3, 4). In African-Americans, the frequent consumption of nuts, fruits and green salads was associated with 35-44 percent lower risk of overall mortality (5).
MagicalHome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 08:06 PM   #14
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strawberry View Post
Quote:
I saw this yesterday as well; it looks AMAZING. I also wanted to try it crustless, let us know how it turns out!
Just wanted to bump this - I made this tonight... followed the recipe to a T and only left out the crust and truffle oil/salt (don't have any on hand). It came out FABULOUS. I used a pyrex 9" pie plate and greased it with bacon grease so nothing would stick, but butter would probably substitute fine. I also combined the mustard and onions before spreading them on the bottom of the pie plate, since I didn't want to spread mustard on the greased pan and risk messing it up.

I'm about to plug it into a recipe analyzer to get the carb count. ETA: Carb count is 6.1g total carbs, 1.8g dietary fiber, 2.4g sugar (per 1/8 pie). Here's some pics, sorry if they're a little blurry (phone pics).

I'm definitely going to do this again, maybe change up the ingredients a little. BF said he's like to try it with broccoli and/or mushrooms. I'd like to try it with spinach.

Last edited by tamari; 03-06-2010 at 08:27 PM..
Old 03-07-2010, 09:01 AM   #15
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: jem51
Stats: oh so happy at 120
WOE: Mine, all mine
Start Date: controlled carb '97-98
my real quicky meal is steamed cauli mixed w some cream cheese then sprinkled w cheddar type and placed under the broiler.
when i have more time a prepare a savory custard mix so it's a bit more like quiche but less custardy. then it gets baked.
this idea is good for almost anything; eggplant slices pressed or pre sauteed/baked then layered w the egg mixture poured over. cheese. bake. add sauce at the end or not.

when i was eating tofu daily, i would slice, press then pan fry both sides, pour in a soy sauce, fresh ginger (dilute w some water)....low heat til absorbed. now that tofu is ready for eating straight up or diced and added to vegies or whatever.

there's also loaded broccoli type stuff when time is short. very filling.

don't forget spaghetti squash for a base. rutabeggas are great and filling, as well.
jem51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 11:52 AM   #16
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: TaDa!
Stats: 236.5 /132.5/ 128-133 @5'3"
WOE: Atkins Maintenance (Vegetarian + Fish)
Start Date: 6/03 & Goal! 5/06
I think it really cool that you are doing a meat-free Monday! I actually came over to this board ... I heard a segment about a book that, I think, talks about scary Agribusiness, but also promotes Vegan eating (I believe) called Eating Animals by Jonathan Foer . I have the book on order at the library, so I have not read it yet. But one thing that struck me in the TV segment was the idea that even one meal, or one day a week of eating "better" (i.e. with an eye to what we are doing to the planet etc etc etc) can make a difference .. I see that in what you are doing too!

So, I came over to the board, to post a thread - as I am considering eating as an Atkins vegan one day a week! I recently switched over to "humane certified" eggs for my normal eating, but I do always like to do better and one day a week as a vegan is not onerous for me either - I enjoy plant proteins. So anyway, I usually think about things for a while before implementing them - it is my way - but have already been out to the health food store for a vegan fact-finding mission, lol! and have purchased: coconut oil as butter replacement, unsweetened hemp seed milk, xanthan gum, flaxmeal, wheat seitan, etc ...

and then I saw your post here about eating vegetarian (lacto-ovo I assume) once a week, so I had to come in and high-five you and post a link to a thread I started a few weeks ago on the recipe board for Vegetarian Lowcarb Recipes **only ones that you have already tried** I have posted a few in there -- and the first one is my absolute favorite. Anyhow, I'd love any contributions! That Cauli Carmelized onion one looks killer to me!!!!

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...b-recipes.html

Stats: 47 Years Old & 5'3" tall
Weight: 236.5 (43 bmi) / 132.5 / 128-133 (size 4/6 .. 23 bmi)

*Weekly Weigh-In 7/10/12

My Journal
Year One Weightloss and Chart
My Weightloss Story
TaDa! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 02:06 AM   #17
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: fembomb
Stats: Highest 210/198/118
WOE: Atkins + HHCG (Fishy Vegetarian)
Start Date: Atkins since 1998
for anyone who may be interested..
my mum got the Farm Vegetarian Cookbook..
put out by the Gaskin Farm in tennessee..
she cooked from that when i was young..
i loved the foods in that cookbook so much..
that i purchased one when i got married...
you can find it online used books at the obvious places
fembomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 09:31 AM   #18
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: jem51
Stats: oh so happy at 120
WOE: Mine, all mine
Start Date: controlled carb '97-98
oh, The Farm!! i still have the books and they are pretty tattered but are CLASSICS for sure.
i have been to the farm a couple time; once was back in the day then again for a midwifery conference in '96 or '7. was still awesome....no longer crowded.
i still love it even though i'm no longer vegetarian.
jem51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 08:02 AM   #19
Major LCF Poster!

This was in my blog feed this morning, and it reminded me of this thread. I'm looking forward to picking up some asparagus at the farmer's market and giving this a try!

Fab Frugal Food Meatless Monday: A New Fresh Idea for A Meatless Springtime Feast – Asparagus “Noodles”
Old 04-13-2010, 07:39 PM   #20
Major LCF Poster!

Another blog recipe that I thought would fit well in this thread... kale chips! I'm going to pick up some kale this weekend and give these a try. Sounds like a great side dish!

Want a chip? Have a whole bowl. | Find your balance
Old 04-14-2010, 09:30 AM   #21

Gallery: fawn
We too are doing a vegetarian day once a week. Usually it's eggs for me. But here are some suggestions I'll be working with:

chili rellanos

Verde cheese enchiladas

Quinoa salad with black beans, garbanzos and pine nuts-Cup of Miso Soup made with veggie broth, 1 Tbs. Red Miso and 1 Tbs. coconut oil

My green smoothie works for me too
fawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 10:35 AM   #22

Gallery: toomuchbooty
Quote:
Another blog recipe that I thought would fit well in this thread... kale chips! I'm going to pick up some kale this weekend and give these a try. Sounds like a great side dish!

Want a chip? Have a whole bowl. | Find your balance
I make crispy kale all the time...it is delicious!
toomuchbooty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 12:00 AM   #23
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: zoes_mama
Stats: 226+/199/165
WOE: Low Carb, Blood Type, BFFM
Start Date: Livin' la vida low carb since 2002
I definitely consider myself a carnivore, but in January my BF DD and I all tried the 21 Day Vegan Kickstart... it worked great for him (he lost 7 lbs)... my daughter GAINED 2 lbs... and after 11 days I was in such a flippin' brain fog that I had to give it up... one steak with some broccolli and I was back to my brilliant self, LOL! (No, seriously, I didn't think I could do my job - it was baaad!)

Anyway.... despite that, I definitely see the value of veggies and enjoying a meatless day on a regular basis. I was actually very surprised how delightful crumpled texturized vegetable protein could be! Added in some taco seasoning (purchased in bulk from my co-op, thank you!) and made soft tacos on low carb tortillas with plenty of shredded lettuce, tomatoes, salsa, etc. Completely delicious!

Also make burritos using vegetarian refried beans (my daughter loves these!)

It's actually quite easy to skip a meat based dinner once you look at all the bean options, soy based products... and if you eat eggs, well, say no more!

Whip up a fritatta, make a quiche or tart, make egg crepes, egg salad, a skillet scramble, an omelette... our imagination is the limit!

Don't forget to toss in leftover veggies!! That small amount that's not a serving, but you hate to throw away goes great with eggs the next day!

Low Carbin', Combat Kenpo Kickin' Mama
Training for the WARRIOR DASH (April 30th / AZ)
zoes_mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 07:20 PM   #24

Men are definitely more resilient to a vegan lifestyle Pamjy!
Old 04-17-2010, 07:45 PM   #25
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
This was in my blog feed this morning, and it reminded me of this thread. I'm looking forward to picking up some asparagus at the farmer's market and giving this a try!

Fab Frugal Food Meatless Monday: A New Fresh Idea for A Meatless Springtime Feast – Asparagus “Noodles”
Just wanted to bump this, since we finally got some asparagus in and I got to try my hand at asparagus noodles tonight. They were very good! I liked them much more than zucchini noodles as a pasta substitute. They held up nicely, didn't get mushy at all, and were slightly crunchy. I made a basic marinara tonight, but I'm thinking these would be fabulous with an alfredo sauce, or a nice chunky pesto.
Old 04-18-2010, 04:20 AM   #26
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: oyvey
Stats: 217/160
WOE: paleo, sprinkling of fermented dairy
Start Date: 5/08
It occurs to me that the asparagus noodles might be really brilliant with carbonara. Lemme see what the prices are like at the market this week, and I'll report back if I make it.
oyvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 05:37 AM   #27
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: KathyMA
Stats: 193/177/145
WOE: Localvore/Organic Low Carb/Fat Fush
Start Date: On and off for years
I was a vegetarian then vegan for over a decade, which nearly ruined my health (long story, don't want to get into it here). However, I try to do one day meatless a week. I can't wait to try the carmelized onion and cauliflower tart! When I was a vegetarian, I made a lot of minestrone-type soups with beans, as well as 'cream' soups using soymilk. I still make zucchini 'spaghetti' using a potato peeler to make long, thin strands of zucchini and toss it with a homemade marinara. Delish!

Last edited by KathyMA; 04-18-2010 at 05:38 AM..
KathyMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 09:33 AM   #28

Welcome Kathy! It's nice to have you here. Have you ever seen Lierre Keith's book The Vegetarian Myth? That might be an interesting read for you. She too was a vegan for about 20 years and suffered some pretty extreme health consequences.
Old 04-18-2010, 05:52 PM   #29
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: KathyMA
Stats: 193/177/145
WOE: Localvore/Organic Low Carb/Fat Fush
Start Date: On and off for years
Quote:
Originally Posted by fawn View Post
Welcome Kathy! It's nice to have you here. Have you ever seen Lierre Keith's book The Vegetarian Myth? That might be an interesting read for you. She too was a vegan for about 20 years and suffered some pretty extreme health consequences.
Hi Fawn, thanks for the welcome! I did read Lierre Keith's book and found it very interesting. I also read recently that she was attacked at a bookstore appearance by a militant vegan who threw a cayenne pepper pie in her face-the equivalent of being pepper-sprayed.
KathyMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 08:16 AM   #30
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: gwynhyvar
Stats: 243.8/222.4/130
WOE: Paleo
Start Date: Jan 3, 2011
I do a gluten-free meatless lasagna. You can sub zucchini, sliced thin lengthwise, or eggplant for the noodles, and any combo of veggies/cheese/sauce for the innards.
gwynhyvar is offline   Reply With Quote