Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Vegetarian
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-20-2010, 04:12 PM   #31
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: KathyMA
Stats: 193/177/145
WOE: Localvore/Organic Low Carb/Fat Fush
Start Date: On and off for years
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynhyvar View Post
I do a gluten-free meatless lasagna. You can sub zucchini, sliced thin lengthwise, or eggplant for the noodles, and any combo of veggies/cheese/sauce for the innards.
I've done that before too-it's delicious! I prefer zucchini to eggplant.
KathyMA is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 04-24-2010, 09:33 PM   #32
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Strawberry
I wanted to share this recipe I found for a souffle - with NO flour!

Most souffles call for mixing a sort of roux with flour and butter, adding the egg yolks... and then mixing that with beaten fluffy egg whites. This recipe is super simply, basically just dumps a beated whole eggs (no separating the yolks and whites) on top of cheeses, with no flour... but somehow manages to rise to epic proportions!

http://steamykitchen.com/5248-cheese-souffle.html
Strawberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 04:25 PM   #33
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: tamari
WOE: no guilt allowed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strawberry View Post
I wanted to share this recipe I found for a souffle - with NO flour!

Most souffles call for mixing a sort of roux with flour and butter, adding the egg yolks... and then mixing that with beaten fluffy egg whites. This recipe is super simply, basically just dumps a beated whole eggs (no separating the yolks and whites) on top of cheeses, with no flour... but somehow manages to rise to epic proportions!

http://steamykitchen.com/5248-cheese-souffle.html
That recipe looks straight up delicious. I'd love to make those for a brunch sometime soon.
tamari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 12:24 PM   #34
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
dumps a beated whole eggs
Yikes, I apologize for the horrendous grammar! I must have been really sleepy.
Old 04-26-2010, 02:07 PM   #35
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: TigerlilyCA
WOE: Primal-esque
I love this tofu recipe - Chili-Glazed Tofu over Asparagus and Rice Recipe - MyRecipes.com

You can sub the rice if you want, but the tofu itself is delicious.
TigerlilyCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 01:16 PM   #36
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: kgoeslow
WOE: Atkins/real food/75% veggie
Start Date: November 2009
We usually eat mushroom based dishes on MM like portobello parmigiana, mushroom tacos (using low carb tortillas) or stuffed mushrooms and a salad.

Sauteed mushrooms in cream over fauxtatoes is very good with a side of green beans amandine. It is also pretty quick if you use frozen cauliflower. Sort of like a mushroom stroganoff.

Ratatouille is a favorite too. I use Molly Katzen's roasted ratatouille recipe.

If you are comfortable with more carbs, grilled or roasted sweet potato slices and a green salad with avocado/lime dressing is very satisfying. And vegan too.

Stir-fried veggies with garlic, ginger and soy sauce and sesame oil sprinkled with almonds. My husband really likes this one.

These all tend to have more carbs than a meat meal but I think it is worth it. We love vegetables and I've never had a bad reaction to any of them (i.e. cravings, sugar rush/crash). I tend to have a hard time with beans. Which I hate because I love them.

I can't wait to try the caramelized onion and cauliflower tart and the mushroom bourguignon from the Smitten Kitchen.

Thanks for the great ideas everyone.

Aiming for two pounds a week and setting mini goals.
Couch25k and Strength Training three days a week.
Low carb real foods.

kgoeslow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 05:44 PM   #37
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: ladyc05
Hello everyone I am new here and have started on a low carb way of life. I have been doing this for about 2 weeks now and I feel better than ever. But I wanted to say that I was in a hurry the other day and i wanted something quick but nutritious to eat so I chopped up some eggplant into small square pieces, then saute them with onions garlic and tomatoes it was quick, filling and wonderful as well as meatless.
Ladyc05
ladyc05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 07:06 PM   #38
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
can't wait to try the caramelized onion and cauliflower tart and the mushroom bourguignon from the Smitten Kitchen.
I am loving that site! She recently posted about a savory mushroom crepe "cake" - basically stacks of crepes with a creamy mushroom filling between each crepe. I'm going to try making it with cream instead of the milk and 1 tsp flour (since cream will thicken on its own anyways) and use one of the lowcarb crepe recipes from Lindas low carb site (www.genaw.com/lowcarb).
Old 05-26-2010, 06:24 PM   #39
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: jem51
Stats: oh so happy at 120
WOE: Mine, all mine
Start Date: controlled carb '97-98
i've been making this wonderful curry recipe that i found on the NightLife blog. i think the address is inthenightlife. if you search under recipes you'll see a hamburger/sweet potato curry.
i have made this w hamburger (not my favorite), chicken (really good), and no meat (amazing).
i use butternut squash since i think it makes a better curry. also i only use regular, mild curry powder and increase the heat w the curry paste.
i use whatever kind of broth or even water.
this is truly delicious.
jem51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 05:43 PM   #40
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Here is the latest recipe I tried: Tomato pie! - perfect for the hot summer months when tomatoes are in abundance from the farmers market!

Obviously, I made mine without a crust, so its basically a tomato/cheese casserole.

I also "cheated" and used pimento cheese from Whole Foods (which is basically the grated cheddar with mayo mix, except they also add some pimentos). This made the recipes even faster to put together.

Tomato Pie Recipe | Simply Recipes
Old 06-09-2010, 04:36 PM   #41
Major LCF Poster!

Just posted this in the CSA thread, but it's also a great meat free meal. It's nice and light, and needs no cooking (which I'll appreciate this summer - my apt gets very hot!).

ZUCCHINI CRUDO SALAD (inspired by Iron Chef Michael Symon)

Serves 6 to 8 as a side dish
Total time 20 minutes

1 teaspoon pressed garlic
1 tablespoon minced shallot
Zest of 1 lemon
Juice of 3 lemons (1/2 cup total juice)
1 cup extra virgin olive oil
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1 teaspoon honey
Few dashes Tabasco sauce
2 10-inch zucchinis, chilled
2 10-inch yellow squash, chilled
1/3 cup blanched slivered almonds, toasted and cooled
1/3 cup diced fresh dill
2 ounces crumbled feta

Blend in blender until smooth garlic, shallot, zest and juice of lemons, salt, honey and Tabasco. Turn blender on low and slowly drizzle in oil until well blended. Set aside.

Slice zucchini and squash into paper-thin slices. (use a mandolin if you have one)

Toss in bowl the squash and zucchini slices, the almonds, the dill and the feta. Toss with as much vinaigrette as desired, reserving the rest of vinaigrette for future use.

Serve immediately.

Got the recipe here: Fab Frugal Food
Old 10-28-2010, 12:43 PM   #42
Major LCF Poster!

Eggplants are out of season around here, but maybe some folks can still get them. Either way, this looks pretty good! I'd make it with potatoes for BF, and just pick them out of my serving.

EGGPLANT BOURGUIGNON WITH ROAST POTATOES

2 medium eggplants, halved lengthwise and sliced to about ¼ inch
salt and pepper to taste
4 tablespoons olive oil, divided
1 large onion, thinly sliced
1 carrot, sliced
1 stalk celery, sliced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 6 ounce can tomato paste
about a tablespoon fresh thyme and/or rosemary
1 cup burgundy or other deep, rich red wine
3 cups mushroom broth
10-12 ounces small brown button or baby bella mushrooms, halved
3 tablespoons butter
16 ounce bag frozen pearl onions (or ½ of one bag)
1 tablespoon all-purpose, brown rice flour, or other flour of your choice

ROAST POTATOES

4 Yukon Gold potatoes, quartered
2-3 tablespoons olive oil
a stalk or two fresh rosemary, minced
several sprigs thyme, leaves removed
salt and pepper to taste

Since with eggplant you risk sliminess, decided that in order to preserve as much firmness as possible while maximizing flavor, I would roast the eggplant slices first. (whether or not to peel the eggplants before you slice is between you and your god). So we begin with preheating the oven to 425. Toss the eggplant slices in 2 tablespoons of the olive oil and the potatoes in the same plus their herbs; season all lightly with salt and pepper.

Simul-roast with potatoes; take eggplant out after 15 minutes and continue roasting the taters until they’re golden on the outside and soft on the inside; probably another 15 minutes or so, giving the pan an occasional shake. While the potatoes and eggplant begin roasting, get started on the stew.

Heat the remaining olive oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. Add the sliced onion and saute for just a few minutes, until starting to soften. Add the carrots and celery, cooking another 5-6 minutes. Add the garlic and saute just until it becomes fragrant, then in with the tomato paste. Stir the paste in well, coating all the vegetables and also browning it a bit as you go. Pour in the wine, deglazing the browned paste, then add the herbs and mushroom broth. Bring all to a boil, then add the mushrooms and reduce back down to a simmer. By now, the eggplant sound be about ready; remove from the oven and add to the pot. (Check the potatoes, and give the pan a good shake, but likely they’ll need more time.)

Cook on low for about 10 minutes as you prepare the pearl onions (if you’re using them; a chacun son gout). If so, heat 2 tablespoons of the butter in a small saucepan, add the onions, and saute for about 5 minutes. Combine remaining tablespoon of butter with the flour with a fork or your fingertips and stir into the stew. Transfer cooked onions to the stew. Now check the thickness of the liquid – if there’s not enough liquid, add another cup of broth or so.

Serve with the roasted potatoes.

From here: Eggplant Bourguignon: A Classic for Meatless Monday « Fab Frugal Food
tamari is offline   Reply With Quote