Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Health Support Groups > Thyroid
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-20-2014, 04:57 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Avicenna
Stats: 215/190's/somewhere in the 170's
WOE: Paleo/primal 80/20
Start Date: July 2011 (JUDDD in February 2012)
Fluoride detox?

I was wondering if anyone here ever successfully tried a fluoride detox to solve their thyroid problems, and if so, how did you do it?
Avicenna is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 07-21-2014, 04:47 AM   #2
Senior LCF member

Gallery: Leo41
Stats: 340 then/145 now
WOE: Low carb/calorie cycling
What do you mean about 'solve' their thyroid problems?

If the thyroid is negatively affected in any way, it doesn't regenerate. I have Hashimoto's (which is responsible for 7 of 10 cases of hypo in this country), an auto-immune disease that affects the thyroid but cannot be reversed.

As to fluoride, I asked my endo about that when I was first diagnosed because I, too, had read that it was 'bad' for thyroid--and it's in my water supply. He told me to ignore all these 'warnings' and that 1) most of the items identified as problems for the thyroid are only true when imbibed to excess--e.g. almonds, walnuts, raw spinach, etc. You'd have to be eating a large quantity on a daily basis for it to be a problem; 2) the amount of fluoride in drinking water is so minuscule as to have no effect on the thyroid at all.
Leo41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 02:50 PM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: ridextreme
Stats: 6/1/14: lost 48 lbs since thanksgiving 2013
WOE: almost zero carbs, eat 2 meals per day 900 cal/day
Start Date: 11/30/13 day aft thankgiving
I have been on fluoride free toothpaste for a while now, and just recently started thyroid hormone and I just found out there is a small amount of fluoride in poland spring water which I was drinking tons of. I switched to Deer Park.

However, my thyroid was tested both before and after me "almost" completely off of fluoride with the same results.
ridextreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 04:09 PM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Avicenna
Stats: 215/190's/somewhere in the 170's
WOE: Paleo/primal 80/20
Start Date: July 2011 (JUDDD in February 2012)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo41 View Post
What do you mean about 'solve' their thyroid problems?

If the thyroid is negatively affected in any way, it doesn't regenerate. I have Hashimoto's (which is responsible for 7 of 10 cases of hypo in this country), an auto-immune disease that affects the thyroid but cannot be reversed.
Hi Leo,

I am sorry to hear you are dealing with Hashimoto's and that it is so prevalent in your country.

I'm sure you can reread my message and glean a useful message from it! But, were I to rephrase it, it would read something like:

"I recently started taking thyroid medicine because I am deficient in T4 for an unknown reason. I'm glad to be feeling better, but at the same time, I'd rather not have to take thyroid medicine for the rest of my life, and so I'm trying to explore possible root causes. Fluoride came to mind because I think I was exposed to a fair amount of fluoride for a number of years, and I've suspected it was related to some other health problems I've had. Plus, it is known to suppress thyroid function. So, I thought I might look into whether others have had success at removing excess fluoride from their bodies - although I understand that isn't everyone's problem. That being said, I didn't really want to give the entire explanation above because I don't really like to navel-gaze excessively about my own health issues online, and so I just brought up the subject in general."

As for doctors...I'm sure if most of us followed the advice of doctors without seeking a multiplicity of opinions, we wouldn't be on this forum. I've dealt with other health issues that I was told by doctors were incurable and I would just have to live with forever through changes in food and lifestyle. No disrespect intended to your endo, just saying!

Ridextreme - well, at least you tried! That's one person so far.

Last edited by Avicenna; 07-23-2014 at 04:12 PM..
Avicenna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 04:28 PM   #5
Senior LCF member

Gallery: Leo41
Stats: 340 then/145 now
WOE: Low carb/calorie cycling
Avicenna-

Have you asked your doctor about detoxing from fluoride? I've never heard of it, so I don't even know if it can be done. But in addition to thyroid, there are a lot of things that are known to negatively affect thyroid--e.g.,peanuts, almonds, walnuts, goitrogens like broccoli and spinach, etc. You might want to consider eliminating all these things from your diet to see if that helps.

I appreciate your efforts to NOT have to take thyroid hormones for the rest of your life. Believe me, I don't like taking them either--but the alternative is scary because before I was diagnosed, I was almost comatose from fatigue, and I would never want to experience that again.

I believe there are a lot of unknowns in modern medicine, and I'm glad you're able to experiment with reviving your thyroid. Mine was too far gone by the time I was diagnosed.
Leo41 is offline   Reply With Quote