Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Health Support Groups > Thyroid
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-06-2014, 04:37 AM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Murphi02
so....what do I do now?

Hi all. I'll try to keep this as short & to the point as possible.

I was on Armour for several months, slowly increasing the dosage up to 3 grains. Free T4 barely budged. I switched to compounded Thyroid USP (same dosage) and felt better for a little while. Recently, symptoms of fatigue have returned and "boom" I put on 10# in a matter of a couple weeks. I also have Reynauds, bladder control issues, and anxiety, if that has anyting to do with it.
49 yrs. old, post menopausal.

I recently had to switch providers - she would only test TSH and Free T4. TSH is .13 (.35-4.5 range) and free T4 is .6 (.6-1.7 range.). The last time I had free T3 tested in Jan. it was 2.8 (2.1 - 4.1) and reverse T3 was 7.9 (10-24).

Nurse practitioner never even called to discuss the results - I had to call her after seeing my results online. Her recommendation = drop the Thyroid USP to 1 grain because I'm "taking too much" or go on levothroxine. I feel she has no clue what's she talking about. I live in small town and don't have a lot of options for providers.

SOOOO frustrating but I don't know what to do.
Murphi02 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 07-06-2014, 09:49 AM   #2
Senior LCF member

Gallery: Leo41
Stats: 340 then/145 now
WOE: Low carb/calorie cycling
Doesn't sound like good care to me if they don't even consult you after getting the labs back. You need to see someone who understands thyroid, because your TSH is so low (that's why they're suggesting you're taking too many hormones)--but you obviously don't have enough T4--and your T3 absolutely needs to be tests. Most 'symptoms' are due to low T3. Your hormone levels (T4. T3) are what's important, and you need to find out why they're so low.

I know you say that you don't have many options where you live, but your thyroid is essential to life, and I'd suggest you need to be very pro-active in getting adequate care.
Leo41 is online now   Reply With Quote