Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Health Support Groups > Thyroid
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-23-2014, 11:13 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: barbinga2
Anyone want to help with a long list of symptoms?

I'm going to ask that first before I type the LONG list of things that have been happening along with all of the info I've been piecing together.

:-))
barbinga2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 06-27-2014, 08:11 PM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Guess not. :-(((
Old 06-27-2014, 08:45 PM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Meme
WOE: Atkins-2002 New Diet Revolution
Sure Barb, I'll try to help
Meme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 02:00 AM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Thanks Meme,

I used to frequent the main low carb lobby for years – and I remember many, many conversations about thyroid. I've been tested over and over, but what I remember from the conversations is that the simple test they perform is frequently not accurate – that (and this is where I can't remember) free T3's and T4's is what they need to test for? I've been having symptoms for a while, but I don't have insurance so I'm trying to gather as much info as I can so I can cut to the chase with the Dr. since I will be self pay. I've had a lot of people tell me it sounds like issues they are having because of thyroid problems

First I had Rny gastric bypass surgery 4 months ago. I had most of these symptoms before surgery too, but now they begin much faster than before – before surgery I could at least walk a whole grocery store before the symptoms started. Now it's about ten minutes.

With wls you don't absorb nutrients and vitamins and are dependent on supplements. I take what they told me, but there is a possibility that my levels could be off - common after WLS. I am not due for blood work to check my levels for another two months, but I think I need to go sooner. Low levels of iron might be adding to the issues (I'm suddenly having restless leg syndrome - a symptom of low iron), but since I had similar episodes before surgery too, I don't think it's solely a bariatric issue.

I can only make it through 2 aisles of a grocery store – after about 10 – 15 minutes of standing or walking slowly I get these symptoms.....My entire scalp very suddenly gets covered in perspiration – within a couple of minutes it's so profuse that it's dripping down my neck and into my ears, I start to feel horrible – whole body horrible with the feeling that I have to sit down NOW, my arms become like lead weights and the color drains from my face and then it flushes. If my errands are short I'm fine. In and out of the car – run into a store – everything is fine until it hits the 10-15 minute mark. I FEEL good before I go and feel like doing anything – until I try to.

Once these episodes happen, I feel slightly better after sitting for a few minutes, but don't feel good again for the rest of the day. If my errands are short I'm fine. In and out of the car – run into a store – everything is fine until it hits the 10-15 minute mark. I FEEL good before I go and feel like doing anything – until I try to.

I recently started having this.........The presence of onycholysis often occurs with hyperthyroidism [source: Gregoriou, et al]. Also known as Plummer's nail, this condition occurs when a fingernail -- most often the ring finger or little finger -- or a toenail separates itself from the nail bed. This lifting can occur at the tip of the nail or along the sides.

I have always had extra heartbeats - an arrhythmia I guess. They always said it can be harmless, especially if there are no other symptoms. If this stuff I'm having is a symptom then I guess they never asked the right questions. I had no idea it might be related to that.

Some common causes of abnormal heartbeats are:

Abnormal levels of potassium or other substances
Heart attack, or a damaged heart muscle from a past heart attack
Heart disease that is present at birth (congenital)
Heart failure or an enlarged heart
OVERACTIVE THYROID GLAND

Symptoms

When you have an arrhythmia, your heartbeat may be:

Too slow (bradycardia)
Too quick (tachycardia)
IRREGULAR, uneven, or skipping beats

An arrhythmia may be present all of the time or it may come and go. You may or may not feel symptoms when the arrhythmia is present. Or, you may only notice symptoms when you are more active.

Symptoms can be very mild, or they may be severe or even life-threatening.

Common symptoms that may occur when the arrhythmia is present include:

Chest pain
Fainting
Light-headedness, dizziness
Paleness
Shortness of breath
Sweating

I don't have chest pain but I HAVE passed out when doing breathing tests and stopped just short of passing out due to heavy coughing or laughing really hard. (vasovagal syncope) I have no idea if all of that is related. BUT I have all of the rest.

No eyebrows from center out – at least 15 years.

Anyway, I figured there were some thyroid experts here and wanted to know if any of this raises any red flags in regard to thyroid AND I need to know which blood test to insist on.

Thanks,

Barb
Old 06-28-2014, 08:26 PM   #5
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: watcher513
You'll need to get labs done. Check out Direct Labs and Healthcheckusa online. Direct Labs has been less expensive since the other one raised their rates in the last year or so. I always check with both sites though. Direct Labs has sales on thyroid labs 2x year. The Month of January and August. I caught one last Labor Day weekend. The EREQ you get from their site is good for 6 months. The test I get from them is the Thyroid Panel Special which is TSH, FT4 and FT3. It's normally $89 but goes on sale for $69 when they have sales.

Lab Corp is where the blood draws are done. It's good to sign up with both places so you get an email when they have sales, which they have all the time on different things. Every month there's something on sale.

I'm not affiliated with them in any way, I just use them for thyroid blood tests because I have Kaiser for medical and they do not run a Free T3 test so I have to do it on my own. I take T4 and T3 and need to know where my levels are.

Last edited by watcher513; 06-28-2014 at 08:28 PM..
watcher513 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 09:07 PM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Thank you Terry! I had Kaiser for years - is that why I could never get them to test for it?
Old 06-30-2014, 11:28 AM   #7
Senior LCF member

Gallery: Leo41
Stats: 340 then/145 now
WOE: Low carb/calorie cycling
You had WLS just 4 months ago. Didn't your surgeon require complete blood tests prior to surgery? I mention this because my sister had WLS last year, and she had to get extensive labs done by her primary doctor prior to surgery.
Leo41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 11:45 AM   #8
Senior LCF Member

They did a full panel at 4 weeks, and everything looked fine. I FELT fine then too. In fact he instructed me not to take ANY iron, B complex and B12 only every other day based on my 4 week draw. I've had several people tell me that most everyone has normal draws at 4 weeks, so am worried that now things have changed and are adding to the issues.
Old 07-01-2014, 04:39 AM   #9
Senior LCF member

Gallery: Leo41
Stats: 340 then/145 now
WOE: Low carb/calorie cycling
I don't recognize the symptoms you're describing as thyroid related--at least not low thyroid. Perhaps hyper?

They actually seem more related to low blood sugar. But, again, you really need to get a full panel of labs done to see where there may be a problem.

AND you need a doctor to interpret those labs for you. Complex hormonal issues can't be evaluated by laypeople on the internet.
Leo41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 07:27 AM   #10
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: slimlizzie
Stats: 186/180/148 fully clothed
WOE: LC
Start Date: 1999
Sounds like a panic attack. Taking deep breaths through the nose and out the mouth helps me. Be sure you exhale out your mouth or you can hyperventilate.
Have your potassium checked if it is too low it can be very dangerous.. I ended up in the ER by rescue squad and 2 days in the hospital. That is what led to my panic. Always thinking it would happen again.I am much better since on Atkins. I also drank St.Johns Wort Tea.

Last edited by slimlizzie; 07-10-2014 at 07:30 AM..
slimlizzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 08:08 PM   #11
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Galoutofdixie
Stats: Back up to 156 :(
WOE: Atkins-Induction
Start Date: March 2004
I'll say that I had symptoms very similar to what you're experiencing. Mine was due to low potassium and magnesium levels. Hot weather also seemed to aggravate it.

I'd call my doctor, and get those levels checked. I wouldn't add a potassium supplement without having a blood test first though, as potassium levels have quite narrow/tight margin of normal. To much or to little can both be dangerous.

Good luck and I hope you're feeling better real soon.
Galoutofdixie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 08:59 PM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Thank you both. I truly don't think it's anything to do with panic. It's too predictable. Doesn't matter if I'm standing in a line, grocery shopping, singing at church. Ten to fifteen minutes and it starts and it goes away or gets a lot better when I sit for a few minutes, then I have another ten to fifteen minutes before it starts again.

I'm surprised no one thinks it has anything to do with thyroid. I've got a couple of friends with thyroid problems and they have a lot of the same things going on.

Thanks for the suggestions.
Old 08-02-2014, 06:17 PM   #13
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: LUVMYGABBY
Stats: 280/268/200
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 4/28/03 restart 8/1/14
I had something like this happening to me and it was a mixer of high blood pressure and anxiety. I would be fine and then it would hit me. Especially when driving. I'd say get your bp checked too.
LUVMYGABBY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 08:20 PM   #14
Senior LCF Member

Thanks luvmygabby. Since my weight loss surgery I've been taken off of my bp meds because it's totally normal now. (I've been taken off of all my meds since surgery - because everything is in normal range - a VERY good side effect of the surgery!)

I've had several people tell me it sounds like anxiety though. I just don't see how it can be when it happens all places if I walk or stand for more then 10-15 minutes.

Thanks for the response!
Old 08-06-2014, 12:11 AM   #15
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Champagne301
Stats: (All time high 319) 287/280/150 5'7"
WOE: LC Contemplating VSG
Start Date: One too many starts
I know this may be late and all, but I wanted to respond. I agree that it is a panic/anxiety attack, because I went through the same exact things you are describing, and what made it worse was that this started while I was a manager at a Wal-Mart! Always on my feet, in a big place (something I was clearly used too, since I worked there for 5 yrs)...and one day this just started...out of the blue. Exactly as you said, almost like clockwork, and to the point where I dreaded work or shopping/standing/walking in a big place for more than a couple of minutes. I had all kinds of testing done, seen cardiologists, neurologists...and nothing was wrong they said.

Final conclusion was panic attacks, possibly progressing into a panic disorder(since I began anticipating the attacks, and modifying my behavior to avoid them). I missed 7 weeks of work because the very environment I worked in began to give me them! I was put on medication for it, and after a month they were less frequent, 6 months later I was taken off the meds and have been fine since.

I just wanted you to know that I've been through something similar, and I remember how helpless I felt, and even when those "attacks" were over, I just didn't feel "right" the rest of the day. Boy do I remember those days, and I hope I never have to feel like that again! I've always been the type that handles everything without batting an eye...no stress...I got it covered, type of person. My Dr. said that sometimes, that is exactly the kind of person that ends up with some period of panic attacks. Something about how we internalize stress, and its eventual toll on the body?

Anyway, sorry I've rambled. If anything, at least you know someone has felt what you are going through before, and I hope you feel better!