Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Health Support Groups > Thyroid
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-18-2014, 01:49 PM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: ptish25
Armour Thyroid - Should I be upping my dose?

I was recently diagnosed with subclinical hypothyroidism, low estrogen and low progestrone. The doctor started me on hormone creams as well as 60 mcg of Armour thyroid.

I was on the 60 mcg for over five weeks before the doctor met with me again and upped my dosage to 90/day based on my insistence. I feel like I am just gaining more weight! I've only been on 90 for a week now.

My question is, based on other feedback, is should I be upping the armour dosage more quickly than every 5-6 weeks? My doctor doesn't want to see me for another six weeks yet I've read it is best to up armour every 2-3 weeks when first starting out.

My initial labs:

TSH: 1.19 Range: 0.40-4.50

T4, Free: 0.8 Range: 0.8-1.8
T3, Free: 2.4 Range: 2.3 -4.2
Iodine: 33 Range 52-109
Dihydrotestosterone: 11 Range: 5-46
T3, Reverse: 10 Range 8-25

Hormone levels:
progesterone: 8.2 Range: 2.6-21.5
estradiol: 76 Range: 64-357

Diet/Exercise
Kickboxing class 3-4/week
Yoga 2-3/week

Diet 80% paleo (healthy fats, barely any grains, low dairy, lean grassfed proteins and lots of greens)

Last edited by ptish25; 06-18-2014 at 01:50 PM.. Reason: add more information
ptish25 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 06-18-2014, 03:35 PM   #2
Senior LCF member

Gallery: Leo41
Stats: 340 then/145 now
WOE: Low carb/calorie cycling
I don't take Armour, but I know that with most thyroid hormone replacement it takes 6-8 weeks before the full effects are seen (felt) in the system, so that's why most doctors check only at 6-week intervals at first until they feel the dosage is optimal. After that, it's standard to check every 4-6 months.

With that low iodine level, I'm really surprised that your doctor started you with Armour because once you begin thyroid replacement, it's for life. Low iodine is relatively rare in this country in this century, but low iodine can cause hypothyroidism--and is frequently a problem in third world countries. I would expect the doctor to try to raise your iodine level to see if that stabilizes your thyroid before beginning Armour.

But I'm not a physician--just someone who is hypo and reads a lot.
Leo41 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 04:12 AM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: nolcjunk
Stats: Whole foods lc, 110, 5'6
WOE: Atkins - it's a diet
What's your diet like the other 20% of the time? Thyroids meds don't make you lose weight- you still have to diet and exercise but they just make it possible. My endo has plenty of patients who are optimized on meds (or have perfect labs without meds) and are still big because they expect the meds to do the work (or blame a slow thyroid).

Last edited by nolcjunk; 06-19-2014 at 04:13 AM..
nolcjunk is offline   Reply With Quote