LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-05-2014, 09:26 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: CopperTop
Stats: 178/131.2/130
WOE: Moderate carb/protein/fat
Start Date: January 15, 2006
Another thyroid dilemma--WWYD

I was diagnosed hypothyroid in Feb after complaining of excessive hair loss and memory problems. At first was told that the hair loss was equivalent to male pattern baldness and there was nothing that could be done. I asked for blood work. TSH came back at 4.680 (only slightly elevated). Cholesterol was extremely high at 343.
I was prescribed Synthroid 50 and Lipitor. After researching, I decided NOT to take the Lipitor.
Had a re-check blood test 6 weeks later and TSH was at 1.9 and cholesterol had come down to 230. Sounds good, doesn't it?
Now the dilemma: Primary doc referred me to an endocrinologist for ongoing care. Saw endocrinologist yesterday and he wants me to wean off the Synthroid as he doesn't think the numbers were high enough to warrant medication.

I am very upset. After a year and a half of hair loss, I was so relieved to have an answer.

And why do they make you feel that you are committing a mortal sin if you don't agree with what they are telling you???

Thoughts?

Quit smoking Jan. 10, 2007
CopperTop is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 06-05-2014, 11:56 AM   #2
Senior LCF member

Gallery: Leo41
Stats: 340 then/145 now
WOE: Low carb/calorie cycling
This sounds like a weird doctor to me. First of all, your initial numbers were obviously hypothyroid, and you responded to the Synthroid. That's a low dose of Synthroid, and you seem to be doing well on it.

In your situation, I'd return to the first doctor and tell him or her that you don't have confidence in this referral and would like him/her to either continue your care or recommend someone else.

You were wise to ignore the Lipitor. It's common to have elevated cholesterol with untreated hypothyroidism. My own cholesterol came down very slowly once I had my thyroid properly diagnosed.

Since you have such good judgment, trust yourself with this situation, too.
Leo41 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 03:43 PM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lo-carbin-in-Pgh
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: October 2000
It is so hard to find a good thyroid doctor! Labs are one thing, but symptoms can't be ignored. Also, a good doctor will test for Reverse T3 and antibodies too. Did your's? Some people (like me) don't convert T4 to T3 and instead convert it to Reverse T3 which just makes the symptoms worse, but on paper you will look fine to a doctor that doesn't test for it. BTW thyroid disorder is usually the root of cholesterol problems.

I found an amazing doctor here in Pittsburgh. There are many like him. Centers for Anti-Aging and Longevity are good places to start if you can find one nearby. He also had told me of a website that lists doctors like him all across the country. I'll ask him for it again and post it. I guess you'd call him a holistic doctor. He doesn't accept insurance because then he'd be controlled by insurance companies over what he can test for and discuss at appointments. I just turn in receipts myself. BTW he is the only doctor in my 22 years of battling candida that tested for it, treated it and in 3 months it was history.
Reached goal 1/05 - 130 lbs
Starting again 5/31/14 - 152 lbs
Today I'm 144
lo-carbin-in-Pgh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 04:26 PM   #4
Senior LCF Member

You may want to check this out. It's a free thyroid summit happening right now, through the 9th. My doctor put it on facebook.

The Thyroid Summit: FREE online from June 2-9, 2014
Old 06-05-2014, 05:24 PM   #5
Senior LCF Member

The website to find a doctor is www.worldhealth.net

Last edited by lo-carbin-in-Pgh; 06-05-2014 at 05:26 PM..
Old 06-07-2014, 12:58 PM   #6
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Shancopp
Stats: pregnant/fat again/thin again
Start Date: 1/1/09
Low Ferritin can cause hair loss too...
Shancopp is offline   Reply With Quote