Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Health Support Groups > Thyroid
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-23-2014, 09:09 AM   #1
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: turtlegirl115
Is low T3 uptake a concern if other levels are normal?

Here are the results I just got back today. I don't see anything to be concerned about even though it says my T3 uptake is low (barely). Do you?

Thyroid Profile II
TSH 1.990 uIU/mL (0.450 − 4.500)
Thyroxine (T4) 9.1 ug/dL (4.5 − 12.0)
T3 Uptake 23 Low (24 − 39)
Free Thyroxine Index 2.1 (1.2 − 4.9)
Triiodothyronine (T3) 145 ng/dL (71 − 180)
turtlegirl115 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 05-23-2014, 09:36 AM   #2
Senior LCF member

Gallery: Leo41
Stats: 340 then/145 now
WOE: Low carb/calorie cycling
Were these labs ordered by a physician? If so, I'd ask him or her to interpret the results for you.

If you ordered these on your own (not legal in my state), this is one of the reasons that's a bad idea. The average layperson isn't able to interpret lab results.
Leo41 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 10:37 AM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Yes, of course. But I can't get in touch with my doctor today and am impatient. I have seen lots of people post their results here for help with interpreting them. I thought message boards were for advice?
turtlegirl115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 12:12 PM   #4
Senior LCF member

Advice, yes, but not medical advice.

There are many people on this board who will chime in and give you 'advice' about your labs, but there's reason that only physicians should interpret lab results--it's called education and training.

I've been hypothyroid for over 10 years, and one thing I've noticed is that MY optimum hormone levels are not what's typically 'advised' on these boards because these numbers are very, very individual. If I followed the advice I've seen here, I'd be constantly worried about my lab values. I prefer to discuss them only with met endo.

I realize you're concerned about that 'low' number, but it isn't indicating any 'emergency,' so waiting to talk to your doctor is the most reasonable option.
Old 05-24-2014, 01:53 AM   #5
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: watcher513
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo41 View Post

If you ordered these on your own (not legal in my state), this is one of the reasons that's a bad idea. The average layperson isn't able to interpret lab results.

Leo, I believe in your state it is legal now. There are many labs that can run the tests. People can just check "Locations" on healthcheckusa's site. In the past, this wasn't available for your state but it is now for those that want/need to use the services.
watcher513 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 02:41 AM   #6
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Also, DirectLabs is having a 20% off sale on all tests through Memorial Day weekend.
Old 05-24-2014, 04:24 AM   #7
Senior LCF member

Thanks, Watcher. I didn't know that they were now legal here. That isn't an issue for me personally because I have great insurance, but my sister has terrible insurance that covers almost nothing, and I think it would be cheaper for her to get labs done on her own and then bring them to her doctor.
Old 05-24-2014, 05:25 AM   #8
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo41 View Post
Thanks, Watcher. I didn't know that they were now legal here. That isn't an issue for me personally because I have great insurance, but my sister has terrible insurance that covers almost nothing, and I think it would be cheaper for her to get labs done on her own and then bring them to her doctor.
Leo, have her compare the 2 places. I know that healthcheckusa's fees have gone up in the last year. I've been using DirectLabs the last 2 times (I always compare the test prices for the same tests). It looks like for 3 states they have to go through DirectLabs Access, whatever that is and it looks like there's a fee to do that. It may or may not be less than at healthcheckusa because of that.

I hope this can help your sister.
Old 05-27-2014, 11:10 AM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: shelley
Leo, some of us can't find a doctor that has a clue about thyroid. All they know is to test TSH and if you are "in range", then they call you good to go! I need to do my own testing.

I have used healthcheckusa for years. And yes, Terry, the price went up a ton from last time to this month! Yikes! Thanks for the tip on directlabs...I'll have to check them out. But I was thrilled that healthcheckusa now offers the RT3 test! That's what I needed most and it's hard to get/find.

After 35 years of this, I know my body and what the lab results mean. My husband also knows the symptoms and sometimes recognizes something being "off" before I do! Amazing. Fortunately it doesn't happen often. Only when they reformulate the meds!
Old 05-27-2014, 11:16 AM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: shelley
Turtlegirl....to answer you...if those were my results and the doc said they were just fine, I'd be finding another doctor. I would not feel at all well with those results. That's just *my* opinion.

Most important, how do you feel!?!?!?!
shelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 08:27 AM   #11
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelley View Post
Turtlegirl....to answer you...if those were my results and the doc said they were just fine, I'd be finding another doctor. I would not feel at all well with those results. That's just *my* opinion.

Most important, how do you feel!?!?!?!
Thank you Shelley. I had the tests done by a reproductive endo because I was having fertility issues. I'm happy to report that I won't have to go back b/c I'm pregnant! So I haven't been back to discuss my results. I'm glad I came back to this post because I honestly would have just considered them normal and let it go. But now I will follow up and ask to come back to discuss and see what he says. I have all sorts of symptoms such as fatique (pre-pregnancy), foggy brain, difficulty concentrating, dry skin, acne (at age 398!) irritability, etc. I was diagnosed with ADD and depression but I'm honestly not sure I have either. I took Vyvanse and Wellbutrin but have stopped both and really don't feel much differently. The dry skin I have contributed to not drinking enough water, which I am doing much better with now. Anyway, thanks for the info as I will definitely follow up with the endo.
Old 06-05-2014, 06:43 AM   #12
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Psmileyf
Stats: 215/184/167
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 8/1/2011- renewed efforts 8/1/2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by turtlegirl115 View Post
acne (at age 398!).
I think acne stops for most people around the age of 390.

Congrats on the pregnancy!
Psmileyf is offline   Reply With Quote