Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Health Support Groups > Thyroid
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-14-2014, 11:18 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: shelley
Antibody testing

Does anyone know if you need to have an antibody test repeated, when years ago the result was low/no antibodies.

I'm about to have testing done (TSH, FT4, FT3, RT3) and don't know whether to have the antibody test done again....it's been about 5 years since I had that test done, but had no antibody activity at that time.

It will cost an extra $40....should I have the test added, or if I had none 5 years ago, does that mean I'm safe now?
shelley is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 05-14-2014, 11:38 AM   #2
Senior LCF member

Gallery: Leo41
Stats: 340 then/145 now
WOE: Low carb/calorie cycling
Shelley-
The antibody test is notoriously false negative. I've read that unless the blood draw happens at the specific time that the antibodies are attacking the thyroid, there will not be a level high enough for a positive.

I don't know whether that's true, but my own experience seems to suggest that it is. From the time I was initially diagnosed, my endo regularly ran the antibody test along with everything else (I have great insurance that covers everything). Tests were always negative. But 5 years later when I had a biopsy of one of my nodules that was growing, the pathologist's report included the diagnosis of Hashimoto's based on the tissue extracted and analyzed. That was definitive.

My endo told me that he was relieved because he suspected Hashi's but could not make a diagnosis based on my labs.

My point is that you may be wasting $40. Keep in mind that the treatment is for the hypothyroidism. The Hashi's is not treated in any way, and the only reason for the antibody test is to determine Hashi's.

Last edited by Leo41; 05-14-2014 at 11:40 AM..
Leo41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 01:35 PM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: shelley
Thank you Leo.....I thought that might be the case, but was not sure! I appreciate the quick response...I'm off to pay for the test that saves me the $40!
shelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 01:49 AM   #4
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: watcher513
When I was first dx'd in the late 90's my antibodies were in the mid 300's. It was run again I believe in 2009 or 2010 and it was low to mid 400's. One of these days I'll ask to have them run again (if they will) just to see where I am since they fluctuate.
watcher513 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 11:47 AM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Ronnie51
Elevated antibodies can also be from another type of autoimmune thyroid disease called subacute lymphocytic thyroiditis or silent thyroiditis, which is what I was diagnosed with. That type begins with hyper symptoms and then crosses over into hypo. After that some people return to normal after being hypo for couple of years, but mine stayed hypo so I'm on 50 mcg Synthroid. My doctor ordered antibody tests because I was having hyper symptoms (losing weight, shaky, pounding and very fast resting heart rate, exercise intolerance). My antibodies were through the roof, over 2500. He also sent me for an uptake which showed no activity. Also, this type of thyroiditis doesn't involve nodules, thyroid swelling or a goiter and is quite common after pregnancy (although mine occurred after menopause). Sorry, I didn't really answer your question, just adding some information.

Last edited by Ronnie51; 05-15-2014 at 11:49 AM.. Reason: Added some info
Ronnie51 is offline   Reply With Quote