How did it work?
What symptoms improved?
How long did it take?
Bluqq is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 05-11-2014, 09:39 AM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: shelley
Hi...noticed nobody answered you so I'll offer my 2 cents.

First, did you have testing done by a doctor who diagnosed you and has instructed you to take this amount (total 3 grains/day) in this manner? The latest I take my other 1/2 dose is around 2 PM....the T3 in it gives you energy and it's nice to sleep! :-)

What tests were run and what were the results. This seems a rather large dose, to me, for starting off! Are you having any changes yet? When I started Armour about 35 years ago, I notice the changes of my symptoms within a few days. But everyone is different.

There are lots of little tricks....about not taking it with calcium or dairy and lots of other things having to do with what you should/shouldn't do with thyroid issues.

Want to share your test results with ranges? I think it's most unusual that you are in NY and I've always heard they don't even Rx Armour, so you'll lucky!!!!
Old 05-11-2014, 10:11 AM   #3
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Bluqq
Stats: at birth weight, lucky for mom she had big hips
Start Date: 11/24/05
Quote:
Originally Posted by shelley View Post
Hi...noticed nobody answered you so I'll offer my 2 cents.

First, did you have testing done by a doctor who diagnosed you and has instructed you to take this amount (total 3 grains/day) in this manner? The latest I take my other 1/2 dose is around 2 PM....the T3 in it gives you energy and it's nice to sleep! :-)

What tests were run and what were the results. This seems a rather large dose, to me, for starting off! Are you having any changes yet? When I started Armour about 35 years ago, I notice the changes of my symptoms within a few days. But everyone is different.

There are lots of little tricks....about not taking it with calcium or dairy and lots of other things having to do with what you should/shouldn't do with thyroid issues.

Want to share your test results with ranges? I think it's most unusual that you are in NY and I've always heard they don't even Rx Armour, so you'll lucky!!!!
Hi there
I went to a doctor who believes in natural medicine and yes....I'm under his care
He ran all the blood work...I'm battling a host of illnesses on top of this.....
Actually I'm doing incredibly well already! I see him Wednesday and I'm sleeping, lost a few pounds and have my energy back along with a calm mood that has been missing
Bluqq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 12:25 PM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: shelley
Wonderful!!! Can't beat feeling so much better!!!!
shelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 01:21 PM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: grneyedldy
I had problems with Armour. One of the reasons doctors don't want to prescribe it is because it's not synthetic and the "lots" can vary. A lot. I didn't care, I read it was the best and why and I wanted it. So I found a doctor that would prescribe it.

All seemed to go well. No major change and then not too long later I moved to another state. My new doctor agreed to continue with the Armour, but wasn't totally on board. Then my TSH went low (right at 0) Doc wanted to up it, I kept putting it off. I started losing weight no matter what I ate. It was wonderful. I got thinner than I had been in years. I loved it. Then one day (I swear it seemed to happen very slowly) I had bulging eyes. I was very lucky that there was no optic nerve damage. Turns out I have Graves Disease antibodies.

There's not a lot that can be done with bulging eyes. I was naive and thought they could just be "popped" back in. According to my Ophthalmologist, he would have to break all the bones around my eyes. And they would only do that if I was having double vision. My only option was to have my eyelids un-retracted (can't think of the medical term) so I don't look like I'm scared all the time. I just had this operation. Finally. Cost and "life happens" has kept it at bay for years.

While I was still on Armour, my TSH would bounce all over and went up as high as 34. I was tired of the merry-go-round and went on Synthroid. And for the most part have been happy with Synthroid.

I'm just giving another perspective on Armour. It's not the end all be all that some tend to think. Just be careful.
grneyedldy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 03:12 PM   #6
Senior LCF member

Gallery: Leo41
Stats: 340 then/145 now
WOE: Low carb/calorie cycling
While I have never taken Armour (I take Synthroi and Cytomel), I very much doubt that there's a causal relationship between your Armour and Grave's Disease.

Grave's Disease causes hyperthyroidism, much as my Hashimoto's causes hypothyroidism.

When your TSH dropped, your doctor wanted to raise it (lower your dosage) because of the danger of going hyper. You resisted and, moreover, you 'enjoyed' the weight loss, which, if you had mentioned it to your doctor, would have been a signal of Graves. Unexplained weight loss is ALWAYS a danger sign, as it is the symptom of several serious conditions.

Armour could not have prevented Graves, but if you'd had your dosage adjusted, it might have slowed the progress of the disease.
Leo41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 04:45 PM   #7
Senior LCF Member

The issue with Armour wasn't my Graves' disease. The issue was that because Armour is made from pigs hormones and not synthetic, the actual dose can vary from each lot. My issue was that I wasn't getting the "exact" same dosage each time I got a new prescription. That was what the issue was.

ETA: I didn't know I had Graves' disease until I went into hyperthyroid range. I also went into high hypothyroidism numbers with the same dosage. It's not about causal effect.

Last edited by grneyedldy; 05-11-2014 at 04:48 PM..
Old 05-12-2014, 02:40 AM   #8
Senior LCF member

Sorry if I misunderstood your post about Graves and Armour.

Yes, most doctors don't like to prescribe Armour because of the problem you mention--i.e., not being sure of the amount of hormone--which is critical for thyroid regulation. I had a similar problem with a generic.

I take T3 (Cytomel), and my insurance company pressured me to take the generic form. My endo agreed that we could 'experiment' because the cost difference is significant. I became ill within a month, and my endo petitioned the insurance company to allow me to take the brand. I don't care about the cost; my health is more important.

The generic problem was the same as you experienced with Armour. The estimate was that this particular company provided 10-15% LESS hormone than the brand, so my dosage, which must be exact, was always deficient.

The idea that the synthetics are bad and only the 'natural' Armour is good for thyroid is something promoted by Internet sites and has no basis in pharmaceutical science.
Old 05-12-2014, 05:25 AM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Thanks Leo41, sorry if I didn't explain myself well. I usually stay out of Armour conversations. I find that it gets elevated to almost super drug status. I just wanted to share my experience with the drug.

Right now I'm on a generic and haven't had any issues. I got tired of the insurance company hassling me about Synthroid. I had blood test last week and I'm waiting for the result. My last TSH was .3 and since I've been losing weight (due to diet not thyroid hormone) I worry when it gets low. I don't want to go through another hyper flare up. I also don't want my TSH to go above 1. It's all a balancing act.
Old 05-12-2014, 08:04 AM   #10
Senior LCF member

It's good that you've found a generic that works for you. I took Levoxyl (a generic of Synthroid) for about 10 years with no problems at all.

Unfortunately, it was taken off the market last year (some packaging problems), and I went on Synthroid. Interestingly, while I was on Levoxyl, my pharmacist filled one of my prescriptions with Levothyroxine, which he said was 'the same.' However, I did not tolerate that well at all, and my endo said that there are no 'identical' Rx. Some brands may be in the same category, but whether a person can tolerate or benefit from the Rx is very individual. [I later found out from my insurance company that my pharmacist had pulled the 'switch' because he made more money on the Levothyroxine.]

When I was losing weight, my endo was sure that he'd have to lower my dosage of thyroid hormones, but he didn't. I suspect it's because my thyroid was just getting worse. So it's likely you'll need your meds adjusted as you lose because that seems to be standard procedure.

Yes, it's all a 'balancing act.' My endo checks me every 4 months, and a couple of times I actually had to go in earlier because I was experiencing symptoms. Never hesitate to check with your doctor because each time I felt symptoms, my labs showed that I needed a dosage change.
Old 05-12-2014, 11:33 AM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Thanks for all the info Leo41. I find it very useful.

I don't want to hijack the thread, so I will turn the convo back to Armour.
Old 05-14-2014, 06:56 PM   #12

Gallery: kristina
Stats: 250/243.6/140
WOE: Weight Watchers online
Start Date: September 12 2014
I just looked at my throid pill bottle

Levothyroxine 75 mcg
Generic for Levoxyl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo41 View Post
It's good that you've found a generic that works for you. I took Levoxyl (a generic of Synthroid) for about 10 years with no problems at all.

Unfortunately, it was taken off the market last year (some packaging problems), and I went on Synthroid. Interestingly, while I was on Levoxyl, my pharmacist filled one of my prescriptions with Levothyroxine, which he said was 'the same.' However, I did not tolerate that well at all, and my endo said that there are no 'identical' Rx. Some brands may be in the same category, but whether a person can tolerate or benefit from the Rx is very individual. [I later found out from my insurance company that my pharmacist had pulled the 'switch' because he made more money on the Levothyroxine.]

When I was losing weight, my endo was sure that he'd have to lower my dosage of thyroid hormones, but he didn't. I suspect it's because my thyroid was just getting worse. So it's likely you'll need your meds adjusted as you lose because that seems to be standard procedure.

Yes, it's all a 'balancing act.' My endo checks me every 4 months, and a couple of times I actually had to go in earlier because I was experiencing symptoms. Never hesitate to check with your doctor because each time I felt symptoms, my labs showed that I needed a dosage change.
kristina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 06:57 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluqq View Post
Hi there
I went to a doctor who believes in natural medicine and yes....I'm under his care
He ran all the blood work...I'm battling a host of illnesses on top of this.....
Actually I'm doing incredibly well already! I see him Wednesday and I'm sleeping, lost a few pounds and have my energy back along with a calm mood that has been missing
yea!!
Old 05-15-2014, 12:35 AM   #14
Senior LCF member

kristina-
I'm not understanding your post, but Levoxyl and Levothyroxine are two separate Rx--BOTH are generic forms of Synthroid (the brand).

It was Levoxyl that was taken off the market last year--apparently due to some packaging problems that tainted an unknown quantity of the pills. They expect to be back in 2015.

I went on Synthroid because I'd already tried Levothyroxine and I cannot tolerate it. I'm glad it works for you because it would be cheaper for me to take that than the brand.

My pharmacist insisted that I could take Levothyroxine because he said it's 'identical' to Levoxyl, but my endo (and other pharmacists) tell me that there are no absolutely identical Rx, and it's common to have problems with certain brands.
Old 05-16-2014, 06:34 AM   #15

I just saw the word Levoxyl on my bottle...if they're separate, why are the both on the bottle? I'll figure this out eventually, I guess lol

Quote:
kristina-
I'm not understanding your post, but Levoxyl and Levothyroxine are two separate Rx--BOTH are generic forms of Synthroid (the brand).

It was Levoxyl that was taken off the market last year--apparently due to some packaging problems that tainted an unknown quantity of the pills. They expect to be back in 2015.

I went on Synthroid because I'd already tried Levothyroxine and I cannot tolerate it. I'm glad it works for you because it would be cheaper for me to take that than the brand.

My pharmacist insisted that I could take Levothyroxine because he said it's 'identical' to Levoxyl, but my endo (and other pharmacists) tell me that there are no absolutely identical Rx, and it's common to have problems with certain brands.
Old 05-16-2014, 06:35 AM   #16

Quote:
kristina-

not so sure it's working at the dose I'm at, my TSH was still almost 5 at my last blood draw...
Old 05-16-2014, 06:36 AM   #17

Quote:
kristina-

I would think it would be like my ropinorole....the bottle says Generic for Requip. I just thought this would be the same thing..
Old 05-16-2014, 09:40 AM   #18
Senior LCF member

If your TSH was 5.0 WITH thyroid Rx, then you are seriously under medicated.

Most endos try to keep the TSH at about 1.0, but in order for my thyroid levels to be adequate, I go below--usually about 0.3 or so.
Old 06-07-2014, 12:49 PM   #19
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Shancopp
Stats: pregnant/fat again/thin again
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 1/1/09
antibodies for Hashis and Graves should be done when thyroid disease is suspected and dx is trying to be made. If positive for one or the other, they should continued to be monitored at most (if not all) blood draws. Mine are about every 3 months.
Shancopp is offline   Reply With Quote