Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Thyroid (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/thyroid/)
-   -   Hypo..... (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/thyroid/829767-hypo.html)

Bluqq 05-03-2014 03:56 PM

Hypo.....
 
Recently diagnosed and started armour....1.5 grains morning and evening

Anyone use?
How did it work?
What symptoms improved?
How long did it take?

shelley 05-11-2014 09:39 AM

Hi...noticed nobody answered you so I'll offer my 2 cents.

First, did you have testing done by a doctor who diagnosed you and has instructed you to take this amount (total 3 grains/day) in this manner? The latest I take my other 1/2 dose is around 2 PM....the T3 in it gives you energy and it's nice to sleep! :-)

What tests were run and what were the results. This seems a rather large dose, to me, for starting off! Are you having any changes yet? When I started Armour about 35 years ago, I notice the changes of my symptoms within a few days. But everyone is different.

There are lots of little tricks....about not taking it with calcium or dairy and lots of other things having to do with what you should/shouldn't do with thyroid issues.

Want to share your test results with ranges? I think it's most unusual that you are in NY and I've always heard they don't even Rx Armour, so you'll lucky!!!!

Bluqq 05-11-2014 10:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shelley (Post 16906977)
Hi...noticed nobody answered you so I'll offer my 2 cents.

First, did you have testing done by a doctor who diagnosed you and has instructed you to take this amount (total 3 grains/day) in this manner? The latest I take my other 1/2 dose is around 2 PM....the T3 in it gives you energy and it's nice to sleep! :-)

What tests were run and what were the results. This seems a rather large dose, to me, for starting off! Are you having any changes yet? When I started Armour about 35 years ago, I notice the changes of my symptoms within a few days. But everyone is different.

There are lots of little tricks....about not taking it with calcium or dairy and lots of other things having to do with what you should/shouldn't do with thyroid issues.

Want to share your test results with ranges? I think it's most unusual that you are in NY and I've always heard they don't even Rx Armour, so you'll lucky!!!!

Hi there
I went to a doctor who believes in natural medicine and yes....I'm under his care
He ran all the blood work...I'm battling a host of illnesses on top of this.....
Actually I'm doing incredibly well already! I see him Wednesday and I'm sleeping, lost a few pounds and have my energy back along with a calm mood that has been missing

shelley 05-11-2014 12:25 PM

Wonderful!!! Can't beat feeling so much better!!!!

grneyedldy 05-11-2014 01:21 PM

I had problems with Armour. One of the reasons doctors don't want to prescribe it is because it's not synthetic and the "lots" can vary. A lot. I didn't care, I read it was the best and why and I wanted it. So I found a doctor that would prescribe it.

All seemed to go well. No major change and then not too long later I moved to another state. My new doctor agreed to continue with the Armour, but wasn't totally on board. Then my TSH went low (right at 0) Doc wanted to up it, I kept putting it off. I started losing weight no matter what I ate. It was wonderful. I got thinner than I had been in years. I loved it. Then one day (I swear it seemed to happen very slowly) I had bulging eyes. I was very lucky that there was no optic nerve damage. Turns out I have Graves Disease antibodies.

There's not a lot that can be done with bulging eyes. I was naive and thought they could just be "popped" back in. According to my Ophthalmologist, he would have to break all the bones around my eyes. And they would only do that if I was having double vision. My only option was to have my eyelids un-retracted (can't think of the medical term) so I don't look like I'm scared all the time. I just had this operation. Finally. Cost and "life happens" has kept it at bay for years.

While I was still on Armour, my TSH would bounce all over and went up as high as 34. I was tired of the merry-go-round and went on Synthroid. And for the most part have been happy with Synthroid.

I'm just giving another perspective on Armour. It's not the end all be all that some tend to think. Just be careful.

Leo41 05-11-2014 03:12 PM

While I have never taken Armour (I take Synthroi and Cytomel), I very much doubt that there's a causal relationship between your Armour and Grave's Disease.

Grave's Disease causes hyperthyroidism, much as my Hashimoto's causes hypothyroidism.

When your TSH dropped, your doctor wanted to raise it (lower your dosage) because of the danger of going hyper. You resisted and, moreover, you 'enjoyed' the weight loss, which, if you had mentioned it to your doctor, would have been a signal of Graves. Unexplained weight loss is ALWAYS a danger sign, as it is the symptom of several serious conditions.

Armour could not have prevented Graves, but if you'd had your dosage adjusted, it might have slowed the progress of the disease.

grneyedldy 05-11-2014 04:45 PM

The issue with Armour wasn't my Graves' disease. The issue was that because Armour is made from pigs hormones and not synthetic, the actual dose can vary from each lot. My issue was that I wasn't getting the "exact" same dosage each time I got a new prescription. That was what the issue was.

ETA: I didn't know I had Graves' disease until I went into hyperthyroid range. I also went into high hypothyroidism numbers with the same dosage. It's not about causal effect.

Leo41 05-12-2014 02:40 AM

Sorry if I misunderstood your post about Graves and Armour.

Yes, most doctors don't like to prescribe Armour because of the problem you mention--i.e., not being sure of the amount of hormone--which is critical for thyroid regulation. I had a similar problem with a generic.

I take T3 (Cytomel), and my insurance company pressured me to take the generic form. My endo agreed that we could 'experiment' because the cost difference is significant. I became ill within a month, and my endo petitioned the insurance company to allow me to take the brand. I don't care about the cost; my health is more important.

The generic problem was the same as you experienced with Armour. The estimate was that this particular company provided 10-15% LESS hormone than the brand, so my dosage, which must be exact, was always deficient.

The idea that the synthetics are bad and only the 'natural' Armour is good for thyroid is something promoted by Internet sites and has no basis in pharmaceutical science.

grneyedldy 05-12-2014 05:25 AM

Thanks Leo41, sorry if I didn't explain myself well. I usually stay out of Armour conversations. I find that it gets elevated to almost super drug status. I just wanted to share my experience with the drug.

Right now I'm on a generic and haven't had any issues. I got tired of the insurance company hassling me about Synthroid. I had blood test last week and I'm waiting for the result. My last TSH was .3 and since I've been losing weight (due to diet not thyroid hormone) I worry when it gets low. I don't want to go through another hyper flare up. I also don't want my TSH to go above 1. It's all a balancing act. :)

Leo41 05-12-2014 08:04 AM

It's good that you've found a generic that works for you. I took Levoxyl (a generic of Synthroid) for about 10 years with no problems at all.

Unfortunately, it was taken off the market last year (some packaging problems), and I went on Synthroid. Interestingly, while I was on Levoxyl, my pharmacist filled one of my prescriptions with Levothyroxine, which he said was 'the same.' However, I did not tolerate that well at all, and my endo said that there are no 'identical' Rx. Some brands may be in the same category, but whether a person can tolerate or benefit from the Rx is very individual. [I later found out from my insurance company that my pharmacist had pulled the 'switch' because he made more money on the Levothyroxine.]

When I was losing weight, my endo was sure that he'd have to lower my dosage of thyroid hormones, but he didn't. I suspect it's because my thyroid was just getting worse. So it's likely you'll need your meds adjusted as you lose because that seems to be standard procedure.

Yes, it's all a 'balancing act.' My endo checks me every 4 months, and a couple of times I actually had to go in earlier because I was experiencing symptoms. Never hesitate to check with your doctor because each time I felt symptoms, my labs showed that I needed a dosage change.

grneyedldy 05-12-2014 11:33 AM

Thanks for all the info Leo41. I find it very useful.

I don't want to hijack the thread, so I will turn the convo back to Armour. :)

kristina 05-14-2014 06:56 PM

I just looked at my throid pill bottle :confused:

Levothyroxine 75 mcg
Generic for Levoxyl


:confused:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leo41 (Post 16907766)
It's good that you've found a generic that works for you. I took Levoxyl (a generic of Synthroid) for about 10 years with no problems at all.

Unfortunately, it was taken off the market last year (some packaging problems), and I went on Synthroid. Interestingly, while I was on Levoxyl, my pharmacist filled one of my prescriptions with Levothyroxine, which he said was 'the same.' However, I did not tolerate that well at all, and my endo said that there are no 'identical' Rx. Some brands may be in the same category, but whether a person can tolerate or benefit from the Rx is very individual. [I later found out from my insurance company that my pharmacist had pulled the 'switch' because he made more money on the Levothyroxine.]

When I was losing weight, my endo was sure that he'd have to lower my dosage of thyroid hormones, but he didn't. I suspect it's because my thyroid was just getting worse. So it's likely you'll need your meds adjusted as you lose because that seems to be standard procedure.

Yes, it's all a 'balancing act.' My endo checks me every 4 months, and a couple of times I actually had to go in earlier because I was experiencing symptoms. Never hesitate to check with your doctor because each time I felt symptoms, my labs showed that I needed a dosage change.


kristina 05-14-2014 06:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bluqq (Post 16907002)
Hi there
I went to a doctor who believes in natural medicine and yes....I'm under his care
He ran all the blood work...I'm battling a host of illnesses on top of this.....
Actually I'm doing incredibly well already! I see him Wednesday and I'm sleeping, lost a few pounds and have my energy back along with a calm mood that has been missing

yea!!

Leo41 05-15-2014 12:35 AM

kristina-
I'm not understanding your post, but Levoxyl and Levothyroxine are two separate Rx--BOTH are generic forms of Synthroid (the brand).

It was Levoxyl that was taken off the market last year--apparently due to some packaging problems that tainted an unknown quantity of the pills. They expect to be back in 2015.

I went on Synthroid because I'd already tried Levothyroxine and I cannot tolerate it. I'm glad it works for you because it would be cheaper for me to take that than the brand.

My pharmacist insisted that I could take Levothyroxine because he said it's 'identical' to Levoxyl, but my endo (and other pharmacists) tell me that there are no absolutely identical Rx, and it's common to have problems with certain brands.

kristina 05-16-2014 06:34 AM

I just saw the word Levoxyl on my bottle...if they're separate, why are the both on the bottle? I'll figure this out eventually, I guess lol

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leo41 (Post 16910659)
kristina-
I'm not understanding your post, but Levoxyl and Levothyroxine are two separate Rx--BOTH are generic forms of Synthroid (the brand).

It was Levoxyl that was taken off the market last year--apparently due to some packaging problems that tainted an unknown quantity of the pills. They expect to be back in 2015.

I went on Synthroid because I'd already tried Levothyroxine and I cannot tolerate it. I'm glad it works for you because it would be cheaper for me to take that than the brand.

My pharmacist insisted that I could take Levothyroxine because he said it's 'identical' to Levoxyl, but my endo (and other pharmacists) tell me that there are no absolutely identical Rx, and it's common to have problems with certain brands.


kristina 05-16-2014 06:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leo41 (Post 16910659)
kristina-
I'm not understanding your post, but Levoxyl and Levothyroxine are two separate Rx--BOTH are generic forms of Synthroid (the brand).

It was Levoxyl that was taken off the market last year--apparently due to some packaging problems that tainted an unknown quantity of the pills. They expect to be back in 2015.

I went on Synthroid because I'd already tried Levothyroxine and I cannot tolerate it. I'm glad it works for you because it would be cheaper for me to take that than the brand.

My pharmacist insisted that I could take Levothyroxine because he said it's 'identical' to Levoxyl, but my endo (and other pharmacists) tell me that there are no absolutely identical Rx, and it's common to have problems with certain brands.

not so sure it's working at the dose I'm at, my TSH was still almost 5 at my last blood draw...:doh:

kristina 05-16-2014 06:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leo41 (Post 16910659)
kristina-
I'm not understanding your post, but Levoxyl and Levothyroxine are two separate Rx--BOTH are generic forms of Synthroid (the brand).

It was Levoxyl that was taken off the market last year--apparently due to some packaging problems that tainted an unknown quantity of the pills. They expect to be back in 2015.

I went on Synthroid because I'd already tried Levothyroxine and I cannot tolerate it. I'm glad it works for you because it would be cheaper for me to take that than the brand.

My pharmacist insisted that I could take Levothyroxine because he said it's 'identical' to Levoxyl, but my endo (and other pharmacists) tell me that there are no absolutely identical Rx, and it's common to have problems with certain brands.


I would think it would be like my ropinorole....the bottle says Generic for Requip. I just thought this would be the same thing..

Leo41 05-16-2014 09:40 AM

If your TSH was 5.0 WITH thyroid Rx, then you are seriously under medicated.

Most endos try to keep the TSH at about 1.0, but in order for my thyroid levels to be adequate, I go below--usually about 0.3 or so.

Shancopp 06-07-2014 12:49 PM

antibodies for Hashis and Graves should be done when thyroid disease is suspected and dx is trying to be made. If positive for one or the other, they should continued to be monitored at most (if not all) blood draws. Mine are about every 3 months.


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:06 PM.