Old 04-26-2014, 09:14 AM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Fat2Fit38
Stats: current weight: 208, Goal: 145
WOE: On my own!
Start Date: 18 April 2014
Thyroid...FUN FUN FUN

Hi All,

If you're on this thread, you have an interest in Thyroid function or are affected by it in some way! As a thyroid cancer survivor and learning to adapt after a complete thyroidectomy, having to take synthroid the rest of my life has not been easy. The only way I have managed to see a change and lose any weight has been by LC. Im just grateful for this! HOWEVER----as I progress, Im finding myself more and more bored with some of the choices I have on LC. Eggs for breakfast everyday is not my cup of tea! Im looking for better options. Those of us with Thyroid issues have to be extremely careful of this! FAT AND CARBS play a big role at how our hormones/thyroid function. If you are affected, what has been your experience? Have you lost then gained? Have you found food choices that work best for you? Post them here please! we need all the help we can get. :-)
Fat2Fit38 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 04-27-2014, 05:58 AM   #2
Senior LCF member

Gallery: Leo41
Stats: 340 then/145 now
WOE: Low carb/calorie cycling
I don't know what you mean about those of us with thyroid issues having to be 'very careful of this.' What's 'this'?

I have Hashi's, and my endo's advice is to simply eat moderately, although he loves my low-carb WOE, especially since there's diabetes in my family, and low carb helps 'protect' me (his belief).

What I DO know is that thyroid problems (hypo) will slow the metabolism, and that many people who struggle with weight loss have to realize that they can't rely on 'calculators' to give them a calorie level nor can low-carb eaters ignore calories when the thyroid is compromised. I eat much less than a woman my age and size with a healthy thyroid.

As to 'breakfast'--I rarely have eggs. I like to keep my protein high and typically have fish (tuna or salmon salad) or meat for breakfast. Sometimes I'll top my burger with an egg. Leftovers also make a good breakfast.
Leo41 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 08:16 AM   #3
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/150/150
WOE: Whatever plan keeps me around 150 lbs!
I don't have any problems with carbs, but I agree with Leo that I have to consume fewer calories than a woman my age and height with a healthy thyroid. If you need to stay LC for your personal goals and health, try mixing it up. When I was LC, I'd often have leftovers for breakfast. I'm not a big egg eater either, so a steak and broccoli would be my breakfast.
KeirasMom is offline   Reply With Quote