LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-09-2014, 11:09 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: helpingrachel
Stats: 167/ 162.4/140 5ft 8
WOE: NK
Hypothyroid

Hi,

I was wondering if any of you suffer from Hypothyroidism? If so what has been the best diet for you. I am post menopause and lift weights/cardio 5 times a week. I am interested in supplements and open to information about this….not on meds yet as the doctors in waiting on my new hormone panel to come back.
helpingrachel is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-09-2014, 11:11 AM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: JanetA
Stats: 185/153/150
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: Restart January 2014
I am hypothyroid due to the removal of my thyroid gland after Grave's Disease, and my endocrinologist really pushed a low carb diet. That's when I turned to Atkins (the first time) and lost 50 pounds.
JanetA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 12:29 PM   #3
Senior LCF member

Gallery: Leo41
Stats: 340 then/145 now
WOE: Low carb/calorie cycling
I am hypothyroid and post-menopause and have been eating very low carb for many years.

I would advise you to cut your exercising as much as possible until you're stabilized on supplemental hormones (if needed). You can stress the thyroid too much by exercising if your hormones are low. This is especially true of cardio.
Leo41 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 11:32 PM   #4
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Ntombi
Stats: Restart: 360/284.4/190
WOE: Atkins for weight loss, NK for maintenance.
Start Date: Restarted: 1-3-13 Original: 8-23-02
Hypothyroid also. I eat very low carb, moderate protein, fairly high fat. I lose--not quickly, but I do lose--eating this way.
Ntombi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 08:29 AM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: leeloo
Stats: 222/189/140
WOE: Atkins/whole foods/KISS
Start Date: 1/15/2014 (this time)
I'm hypothyroid due to Hashimoto's. I follow Atkins and stick to 20 net carbs or so per day.

The first time I lost weight on Atkins I was not hypo, and lost steadily and pretty easily in the sense that if I stuck to plan, the weight came of at an average of 1 pound per week. This was at about 1700-1800 calories per day.

Now I'm older and hypothyroid, and I don't lose as easily. But adding exercise and cutting the calories a bit is working this time. I'm losing around 1 pound a week or maybe a little less, but the scale is moving, so I'm happy.

leeloo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 05:42 PM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Thanks all. Met with my Doctor today and am on a new protocol with both HRT hormones and my thyroid was totally tanked. Will follow thru with low carb, protein, higher fat and veggies. No fruits till this start to shift downward.

I appreciate you all taking the time to share with me. This is new territory for me and I am feeling a shift in how I feel.
Old 03-28-2014, 09:27 AM   #7
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: cazjames2000
Hi,
I am Caz from UK I am certain I have thyroid disease although the dr will not recognise it. I have been on low carb diet constantly for 8 weeks and have lost no weight . My symptpms are all pointing to hypothyroidism what can I do diet wise to help whilst I am waiting for a correct diagnosis
cazjames2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 10:41 AM   #8
Senior LCF member

Gallery: Leo41
Stats: 340 then/145 now
WOE: Low carb/calorie cycling
I lost weight when I was hypothyroid but undiagnosed (but symptomatic). I followed very low carb (20g max), but I also had to limit calories significantly.

For example, a nutritionist told me that I could lose on 1800 cal a day, but I gained at anything over 1200 cal. Hypo slows the metabolism, so I needed to eat a lot less.

Sadly, once I was diagnosed and given supplemental hormones, I really could not eat at a higher calorie level, as my metabolism was also slowed by age (menopause).
Leo41 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 06:29 AM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Been on new hypothyroid meds for a month. I also have been on bio-identical hormones. My weight is down 8 lbs from the start. Definitely doing low card and higher fat. My exercise is only 3 days a week and plan to up this as I meet with the doctor this week. Thank you for sharing your journey's and what insights you have received from doctors and nutritionists. I do track calories as my Doctor told me I could eat higher than my body would allow. I would like to keep this trend going and will check in here as I continue to learn, grow and apply new information. I am at the point in my life that I do need additional supplementation since going thru menopause. Thanks for sharing your insights.
Old 06-17-2014, 05:58 AM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: saltnpepper
Stats: 125/106/105 5'
Start Date: long ago restart 06/11
bump

and subbing

thanks for the infor you all
saltnpepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 09:20 AM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: poe2you
Hi.. I started with a new dr... ran a full panel and discovered .. no progesterone.... i started on natural progesterone cream and started gaining weight... at the same time.. April.. i started compound T3.. i spoke with him last week.. he told me to increase T3 -5 to 10 mcg.. after 3 days.. i couldn't stand the increase and back off to 5.. feel much better.. he advised yesterday to stop using the progesterone cream.. i hope i drop the 12lbs i gained since april..

very frustrating.. from what i have read.. progesterone should help with weight.. but i started gaining... sticking with the compound T3 5mcg and synthyroid 112mcg.. hopefully.. i will find the answer... wishing..
poe2you is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 12:11 AM   #12
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Bellamae
My hypothyroidism is borderline. My doctor refused to prescribe any meds. Low carb was the only way I was able to lose weight.
Bellamae is offline   Reply With Quote