Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Health Support Groups > Thyroid
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-01-2014, 11:55 AM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: southernatheart
Looking for a good thyroid (and possibly adrenal insufficiency) doctor in west Tn...

Hello. I have been having a really rough two years. The onset if my symptoms was sudden and fairly violent. I went from feeling pretty good to extreme fatigue, dizziness, nausea, and bowel problems. These symptoms present at their worst in the mornings and begin to relieve some time in the late afternoon. At its worst, I am lying on the bathroom floor, alternating between a hot flash with racing heart, racing mind, a "wired but tired" feeling followed by diarrhea and/or vomiting, which is then followed chills and an almost coma like sleep.

I have been to drs near and far, but they tend to do basic blood work and say I should be in fine form. I was hospitalized for three days last summer and, following blood work, an endoscopy and a colonoscopy that all came back with no results indicating a problem, they sent me home with lexapro and told me I had stress related IBS. I treated it as such for six months and got no relief. The dr would just shrug and say "Well ibs is tricky. Most people just have to accept a lower quality of life." I'm sorry. I am 36 years old and have a husband and three kids, I'm not going to lie in a hole and wait to die. I'm convinced that I may have a thyroid problem and probably definitely have an adrenal issue.

We tried to move from West Tn to the Chicago area, but my health issues have made this difficult. The only dr willing to continue to refer me out until we have exhausted all options is in my old Tn hometown. Everyone I saw in Chicago wanted to act like these symptoms started the day I came to see them and start at square one (typically "Here take this anxiety medication") and wait and see if we got an improvement. No one, including my hometown dr really, wants to do a full thyroid panel. They did finally do free T4 in addition to the TSH that they've always done. It is "in range" so that is that for them. I was referred to an endo in Memphis and he is, at least, thinking along the lines of cortisol. He is having me do a morning blood draw for cortisol and a 24 hr urine test. On reading, though, I see that even those may not be reliable. Apparently they tend to look for Addison's and Cushings and if it isn't those, you are once again fine.

Does anyone know of a good dr in West Tn who can help me? I've almost given up on Chicago altogether until I can get some answers. I just can't be up there with kids, a busy husband, and no support when I am this sick. I'm mainly looking for Memphis area because I suspect that is the closest I could find a dr for this, Jackson Tn would be even better as it is only an hour from me. Nashville could work, it is about 3 hours away but I would be willing to stay in a hotel for a few days if someone was REALLY REALLY good.

I am at the end of my rope, as I think these tests ordered won't be severe enough for the endo to see an issue and I fear he will cut me loose.

These are my thyroid numbers for what they are worth:

2011 TSH 1.07
2013 TSH 1.1
2014 TSH 1.4 and "thyroid, serum, free" (is this free T4?) 1.22

My additional symptoms include low body temp (typically around 97 degrees, at 98.6 I have fever symptoms), low blood pressure, dry skin, a stabbing pain in my right shoulder blade (ultrasound and HIDA scan for gallbladder and was told it was fine. Ejection fraction was 90%) and severe brain fog. Any ideas?

Last edited by southernatheart; 03-01-2014 at 12:03 PM..
southernatheart is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-01-2014, 12:02 PM   #2
Junior LCF Member

I should also add that I could probably see someone in North Mississippi if I had to. We are right on the state line. I have excellent BCBS insurance, but, at this point, I would probably see anyone and just try to pay for it. I've found that most drs who take ins and treat with prescription meds (which is what I would be most comfortable with really) don't want to even talk about "out of the box" testing and they aren't very interested in seeing test results I've gotten from a naturopath. At the same time, naturopaths who often don't take insurance or prescribe RX meds (and I'm not against holistics, but I've also tried them for several months for stomach issues and got no results beyond a depleted bank account), seem unable to help. I think I've reached the point where I may need RX care for at least a time to get me out of the critical zone and into something more stable where diet and supplements might have more effect.
Old 03-02-2014, 06:31 AM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Bhambabe
Stats: R4P3 91 pounds released
WOE: Dr. Simeon's Protocol HHCG
Start Date: Started 7/21/09
I can’t tell you a doctor to find, but I can say if I had your body , I would get off all gluten ( all even in small amounts ) along with dairy and soy and see (again even small amounts ) eating very clean to see how I felt after a few months . Also I would take a good probiotic with no yeast, gluten or dairy starting off with the minimum dose . All along checking out a good doctor, but not straying from the new diet as to test for it’s results . I wish you the best .
Jane
Bhambabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 08:31 AM   #4
GME
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: GME
Stats: 250/166/175 Trying again...223/199/146 5'7
WOE: JUDDD/LC/Gluten Free
Start Date: April 2000 (the first time)
I don't know about any doctors near you, but I agree with Bhambabe's advice.

Food intolerances often go hand in hand with thyroid issues. They many times have the same base cause- autoimmune problems. There are lots of elimination diets out there now, The Plan and The Virgin Diet are two books I know of. Get off the foods you are intolerant of and work on healing your gut (again, tons of info on the web).

You can help your adrenals by eating plenty of high-quality food and getting enough rest. Minimize stress as much as possible. It won't happen overnight, but it will happen.

There are places on the internet where you can order your own thyroid tests (they send you to a lab for the blood draw). Be sure to get thyroid antibodies, free t3 and t4 and reverse t3 tested. That should tell you if you have a thyroid problem. TSH isn't enough.

If you have thyroid antibodies you have yourself something called Hashimoto's Thyroiditis and it means your body is attacking your own thyroid. That is the condition that is autoimmune and is tied to food intolerances. From what I have read, they think it works like this: The food intolerances are your body attacking a food because it sees it as a foreign invader. It does that because damage to your gut lining has allowed food to escape to where food doesn't belong and it is a foreign invader at that point. Gluten is the substance that damages the gut and allows the food out.

7/27/14- Wharf to Wharf (6 miles)- I won! 9/14/14- Title 9K- I won! 11/9/14- Surfer's Path 10K- I won! 12/7/14- Jinglebell Rock 5K- I won!
2/7/15 - Together Love Run 5K, 3/22/15- She is Beautiful 10K, 4/12/15- Santa Cruz Half Marathon

*My definition of win: I didn't quit, didn't throw up, and they didn't close the course on me.
GME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 03:50 PM   #5
Junior LCF Member

Thanks for the responses. I've been eating clean since this set in two years ago. Basically meat/veggies/limited fruit only. No soy and no dairy (I've not had food allergy testing, but I challenged the dairy thing a couple of times and I'm definitely not good with dairy - 15-20 min after eating any form I have a terrible mental reaction, feel very disoriented and sort of out of body).