Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Health Support Groups > Thyroid
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-13-2014, 01:33 PM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: tcayuela
New Labs...Getting Better! Quesion about low TSH

Hi Everyone,

It's been awhile since I've posted here as I've been working hard on getting my numbers improved. For the first time ever, my Free T3 has moved from the bottom of the range to where it is now! Yay! I'm curious what you all think about my numbers and am curious, is it dangerous for us to have low TSH? I know we don't generally worry about this number, but I've read that low TSH can be bad for our bones.

My current regime is T3 only (Armour and Levo never worked for me...no matter how high of a dose, my Free T3 never budged and I ended up with horrid Reverse T3 issues)....I take 87.5mcg of a slow release compounded T3 as well as, 15mcg of Cytomel morning and noon, with 10mcg of Cytomel at 5pm. I'm wondering if I should raise my 5pm dose to try and get my Free T3 into the top of the range. Overall, I feel great, like a new person!!!

TSH 0.01 (.4-4.5)
Free T3 3.4 (2.3-4.2)
Free T4 .4 (.8-1.8)

Thoughts and feedback are greatly appreciated!

Thanks so much!
Tammy
tcayuela is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-15-2014, 03:55 AM   #2
Senior LCF member

Gallery: Leo41
Stats: 340 then/145 now
WOE: Low carb/calorie cycling
I'm not sure what the problem is with very low TSH, but I know that my endo gets concerned if my TSH goes too low.

In terms of your T3, you should NOT tinker with the dosage without consulting your doctor! T3 is a very, very powerful hormone, and too much can cause cardiac problems--in other words, you can give yourself a heart attack if you play around on your own.

Most doctors are very cautious in prescribing T3 because it's so powerful. If you think you need more, talk to your doctor--please.
Leo41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 12:57 PM   #3
GME
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: GME
Stats: 250/166/175 Trying again...223/206/146 5'7
WOE: JUDDD/Gluten & Dairy Free
Start Date: April 2000 (the first time)
My doctor says she expects my TSH to be low because the meds I take suppress it. Mine stays pretty low.

I take compounded T3 too and I am curious why you also take Cytomel? Wouldn't it be easier to up your compounded dose if you need more? If you feel good, why worry about the number and where you are in the range?

I agree with Leo. T3 is nothing to mess with. Talk to your doctor.
GME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 09:39 AM   #4
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: tcayuela
Leo41 and Gina,

Thank you for the feedback. I know Cytomel is powerful and to raise slowly. My doctor has me raise at 5mcgs at a time, giving a week for it to kick in before raising again.

As for why I take both....the slow release on it's own was slowly moving my Free T3 up, but not much off the bottom of the range. Cytomel once brought on board, immediately started moving my Free T3 up and helped with symptoms. My doctor wanted to keep a dose of slow release on board to eliminate having any major ups and downs that can occur with dosing Cytomel only. The combo of the 2 has been the trick and a life saver!

I appreciate the feedback!
Tammy
tcayuela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 10:36 AM   #5
Senior LCF member

Gallery: Leo41
Stats: 340 then/145 now
WOE: Low carb/calorie cycling
Hi Tammy-

I take only Cytomel (no slow release)--3x a day for a total of 25 mcg, and I've never experienced any 'ups and downs.' I don't notice any effect at all from my Rx--except for the absence of low thyroid symptoms.
Leo41 is offline   Reply With Quote