LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-13-2014, 09:12 AM   #1
ss1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: ss1
Stats: 160/137/130-125
Start Date: september 2012
possible hypo/vlc help!

Hi all, Im new to the thyroid board but have been low carbing for quite a while. About 2 years ago, I was overweight, tired all the time, losing hair etc. had some tests done and the doctor said I must be stressed because my lab work was fine. I dealt with this for a year and still didnt feel right. I found a holistic doctor and he said just by looking at me and hearing my story, I was anemic! And sure enough it was in the blood work from the previous year where my doctor said I was fine! Ive been taking iron since august and started to feel a little better but not much. My holistic doctor then diagnosed me as having Chronic Fatigue Syndrome. Unfortunately most doctors dont recognize this as an actual problem so there are no medications for it but I have been on vitamins and supplements from my holistic doctor since but still dont feel good. About 3 months ago while getting a check up and another blood test, the doctor said I have a goiter! (When will the problems stop!) I got an ultrasound and they said everything was fine, I have some nodules but they didnt need to be biopsied. I started doing so research and it seems like all my problems are pointing to thyroid. Chronic fatigue has many of the same symptoms so I asked for more blood tests. The doctor was very reluctant in giving me what I wanted, claimed she "knew what tests to do" and still isnt running all the ones I wanted. I should be getting results today but I have been reading a lot of stuff about very low carb diets and people with thyroid problems SHOULDNT do them. I have been VLC for most of the year and 5 months ive been low carbing and have lost about 30 pounds in that time. Im 5'6 weight 126.6 and would like to lose just a few more but can only do that with VLC. I physically cant exercise so my cals are at 1310. my carbs are below 20 but I do better the lower they are. I eat moderate protein and high fat and still have trouble (i guess its expected when you get closer to goal)

My question is, For people with thyroid problems is it necessary to stay moderate carb instead of very low carb? Im a little scared of gaining weight if I add carbs but really do want to mess up my thyroid and really just want to start feeling better already!
ss1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-13-2014, 12:14 PM   #2
Senior LCF member

Gallery: Leo41
Stats: 340 then/145 now
WOE: Low carb/calorie cycling
I can only share my own experience. I'm hypothyroid, but I am also very carb sensitive and regularly eat no more than 20g daily. My endo applauds me WOE and sees no problem.

There's a lot of what I call 'thyroid hysteria' on the internet, and I check everything with my endo.

By the way, I had a goiter initially, and my primary doctor sent me for an ultrasound, which he told me later was just to check for cancer. I now know it was the beginning of my Hashimoto's.

For the next 5 years, I had escalating symptoms, and he just kept telling me that it was 'normal aging.' Unfortunately, I listened to him, and it was only when I realized that my crushing fatigue was definitely abnormal that I self-referred to an endo--and was immediately diagnosed. She told me that it is common for someone to be hypothyroid but have 'normal seeming' labs.

A good thyroid doctor will diagnose based on both labs and symptoms--but good thyroid doctors are hard to find. Good luck!
Leo41 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 02:58 PM   #3
ss1
Senior LCF Member

Thanks so much! I am trying very hard to find someone to just help me get better! ugh so frustrating! Thanks for sharing your experience, I might play with my carbs a bit but I feel like I have become afraid of them, But weight gain wont be permanent. I dont even know my limit/how sensitive i am so maybe I should play with it a bit. Thanks again!
Old 01-14-2014, 04:27 AM   #4
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: watcher513
You can get your own labs done if you're in the U.S. Direct Labs is running a special this month (January -online sign-up). Thyroid Panel Special (TSH, Free T4, Free T3) for $69 on sale. Go to a lab near you and they email the results back to you.
watcher513 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 09:01 PM   #5
ss1
Senior LCF Member

Thank you watcher513 I got the results back and have hashimotos. Thank goodness I forced my doctor to do the antibody test!
Old 01-16-2014, 09:57 PM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: kjwalsh
Stats: 205/150/140
WOE: low carb
Start Date: January 2013
My doctor was the one who introduced me to Atkins~he's the one in the picture with me! He found the lump on my throat that turned out to be papillary thyroid carcinoma, so I had it removed about a year ago so it's all still kinda new to me. My levothyroxin is still being adjusted~my dosage is now .175 mg. But he never suggested to change my diet and if I do overdo on the carbs, I feel sluggish.

So stick with what makes you feel good, everybody is different
kjwalsh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 07:22 PM   #7
ss1
Senior LCF Member

ok great thank you so much! I just started levothyroxin at .05 but I have been reading a lot about how Armour is so much better because its natural and contains t4 and t3 as opposed to just t4, so people feel a lot better faster. I have my first endocrinologist appt on monday and im thinking about asking to switch. does anyone have experience with armour?
Old 01-18-2014, 01:04 AM   #8
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

They Need to test both Free T4 AND Free T3 to see where you are in the range for each.
Old 01-18-2014, 10:32 PM   #9
Senior LCF Member

I asked my endo about Armour and he said that one problem with is is getting a "true" result from your blood test because it is natural it has wide fluctuations and hard to tell if you are "in range" or not. He also said that your body would convert the T4 into T3 as needed? Of all the stuff I've read on the synthetic, I hadn't seen that explained but it's all so cunfusing!

Old 01-18-2014, 11:25 PM   #10
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Not everyone converts. I don't - I have Hashimoto's.
Old 01-19-2014, 12:54 AM   #11
Senior LCF Member

from what I understand, and you can correct me if it's wrong, the thyroid produces the T4 but it's the liver that converts it to T3 so even if you have Hashimoto's or no thyroid at all(like me)...and you take levothyroxin, which only contains T4, your liver would then produce the T3
Old 01-19-2014, 06:34 AM   #12
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Dolly
It has been determined that my body doesn't convert. I haven't been tested for Hashi's yet, but the numbers on my FT3/FT4 don't lie. My FT4 was over the top of the range after being on Synthroid for 6 months, but FT3 was STILL at the extreme bottom of the range. My doc put me on Synthroid (T4) and Cytomel (T3).

Last edited by Dolly; 01-19-2014 at 06:40 AM..
Dolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 08:14 AM   #13
ss1
Senior LCF Member

I was only tested for tsh ft4 and antibodies. everything came beck in range except the antibodies. the range was like 0-60 and I was at 508. I have a goiter and had symptoms for a year and a half. looks like I will need ANOTHER test. ugh. But doesnt hashi's make you swing from hyper to hypo so your labs may look hyper one time and hypo the other and make it hard for you to tell if your in range or not anyway?
Old 01-19-2014, 10:41 AM   #14
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss1 View Post
I was only tested for tsh ft4 and antibodies. everything came beck in range except the antibodies. the range was like 0-60 and I was at 508. I have a goiter and had symptoms for a year and a half. looks like I will need ANOTHER test. ugh. But doesnt hashi's make you swing from hyper to hypo so your labs may look hyper one time and hypo the other and make it hard for you to tell if your in range or not anyway?

I think that is the way it is with Hashi's.....I hope you can get what you need to help your symptoms!

As for me, when I said that my numbers don't lie, I just meant that my repeated labs showed that, for whatever reason, I'm not converting. I am looking for a new doc and want to make sure I get the antibodies test.
Old 01-19-2014, 06:12 PM   #15
ss1
Senior LCF Member

Thank you,
i hope you get the help you need as well! its so frustrating how it takes so long to finally start feeling better!
Old 01-19-2014, 06:55 PM   #16
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss1 View Post
Thank you,
i hope you get the help you need as well! its so frustrating how it takes so long to finally start feeling better!
Yes, it is.....and thank you too!
Old 01-22-2014, 12:07 AM   #17
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

This is Thyroid Month at Direct Labs. Check out their sales on tyroid labs. Sign up online, go to a lab near you, results come back to you. Easy peasy.
Old 01-23-2014, 10:36 AM   #18
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by watcher513 View Post
This is Thyroid Month at Direct Labs. Check out their sales on tyroid labs. Sign up online, go to a lab near you, results come back to you. Easy peasy.

Thanks much for that info! May go that route so that when I go to see the new doc (in July), I will have the results in hand!
Old 01-23-2014, 12:20 PM   #19
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Dolly, you can get the test lab request print out now, it doesn't expire right away, I believe it's good for a year? Maybe longer. Then get tested closer to your appointment. They don't want to see results from months ago. It takes approximately 4 days or so to get the results emailed back to you.
Old 01-23-2014, 01:25 PM   #20
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by watcher513 View Post
Dolly, you can get the test lab request print out now, it doesn't expire right away, I believe it's good for a year? Maybe longer. Then get tested closer to your appointment. They don't want to see results from months ago. It takes approximately 4 days or so to get the results emailed back to you.
Thanks!
Old 01-23-2014, 03:04 PM   #21
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dolly View Post
Thanks!

I just hope I can afford to order them before the end of the month.....cash flow is pretty lean right now.