Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Thyroid (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/thyroid/)
-   -   Leaky gut / G.I. health (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/thyroid/819040-leaky-gut-g-i-health.html)

LVrooman 12-20-2013 06:12 PM

Leaky gut / G.I. health

Hashimoto's and other auto-immune diseases are said to be caused by the discovery of 'foreign' protein in the bloodstream. The mechanism for this is what is termed 'leaky gut'.
I would like to discuss this here among friends.
I have Hashimoto's. I think mine was started by antibiotics prescribed in the early 90's. I became lactose-intolerant instantly. Over the years I have tried many, many ways of better digestion. Recently, I began studying Probiotics. I have ingested many types and brands of 'Probiotics'. None solved the lactose problem until I spent weeks researching (no need to reinvent the wheel) and determined that I should 'center' my reasearch around a Probiotic named L. reuteri. I also decided that it should not be alone, it should have a complement of other Probiotics; as in a concert of musicians. I selected a product from Nutraceutix called Probiotic Synergy. I started taking it in November, and now in December, I seem to have finally beat the lactose-intolerance. I have pushed the envelope, (eating cottage cheese, ice cream, etc.) but have no bad reactions at all in December.
Has anyone else with 'leaky-gut' been able to recover? If so, how?

saltnpepper 12-26-2013 04:00 AM

This is really interesting, I need to look into this ideal. I was tested in Sept, low thyroid. I'm on my 3rd meds, still not right. So you may be on to something.

Thanks for posting.

Anna

inatic 12-28-2013 08:18 PM

My hashis came after graves which came post pregnancy number three. Have rarely taken anti bs so can't say that was a cause for me. As far as I can tell I have no intolerances and can eat anything including gluten which I just choose to avoid mostly b

LVrooman 12-31-2013 04:29 PM

Ileen - OMG!

Ileen, do not read Wikipedia, they have inaccurate info about Hashi's. Specifically that your immune system is reacting to ingestion of 'gluten'.
Dr. Kharrazian is probably the most knowledgeable person about it on the planet. New Book on Hypothyroidism and Hashimoto's by Datis Kharrazian, DHSc, DC, MS
If your doctor diagnosed Hashimoto's and has not ordered a Thyroid Panel, or any other Endocrine/Thyroid testing, you are not being well-treated.
You cannot ingest any form of wheat, barley or rye grains, 100%, period.
Another excellent website is; Stop the Thyroid Madness™ - Hypothyroidism and thyroid mistreatment.

I cannot stress any more than the above. When you eat gluten, you are effectively poisoning yourself.

My doctor prescribed Levothyroxine before he ran any tests, and made my symptoms much worse, BEFORE we found out I had Hashimoto's. My diet, vitamin and supplement changes have the disease fully under control. What I still fight today is the drug injury caused by Levothyroxine. An ignorant doctor can cause MORE damage than the disease! I'm living proof.

LVrooman 12-31-2013 04:39 PM

Thyroid panel

Anna, have you had a Thyroid panel? (blood test) In my case, my Thyroid was low (per routine blood tests) and the mistake my Dr. made was not running a panel. (or ANY tests) Turns out I had Hashimoto's. That was the reason for the low thyroid numbers. However, the Thyroid was not the cause; in Hashimoto's, the Thyroid is the 'victim'. The cause is 'leaky gut'. That's why I was researching Probiotics; to improve my gut function and gut health. I targeted my lactose intolerance first, I've had it longer, and it should be addressed/treated first IMHO.