Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Health Support Groups > Thyroid
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-16-2013, 07:39 AM   #1
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: jiggles
Lab Results - Thoughts?

I have been on Levothyroxine since my thyroidectomy 6 weeks ago. I had switched from Nature-Throid because my new Endo admitted she knows nothing about NT & asked if I’d be willing to try Synthroid. I agreed to try it only because I want to give her a chance. I have my follow up with her tomorrow so I had labs done this morning. Here are my results…

TSH .55 (0.4 - 5.00)
FT3 2.4 (1.7 – 3.7)
FT4 1.3 (0.7 – 1.5)

I did NOT take my med before the test. I feel okay. I don’t think I feel any different from before my surgery when I was on NT.

I don’t remember where in the ranges the FT3 & 4 should be. Do these numbers look about right?
jiggles is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 12-16-2013, 07:51 AM   #2
Senior LCF member

Gallery: Leo41
Stats: 340 then/145 now
WOE: Low carb/calorie cycling
Based on my own experience and discussions with my endo, your numbers look just fine to me. The key is how you're feeling, too.

It's great that you can take Levothyroxine. I tried that when Levoxyl was taken off the market, and I couldn't tolerate it, so I had to switch to Synthroid.

I took Levoxyl for many years, and my insurance company insists that Levothyroxine is exactly the same thing, but my endo says that no two thyroid meds are 'identical,' and it's not unusual for patients to be unable to tolerate one Rx that is seemingly the same as another.
Leo41 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 08:33 AM   #3

Thanks Leo.

Over all I think I feel okay. I mean, I'm not bouncing off the walls with energy, but I wasn't when I was on NT either. I don't have any problems making it through the work day though so I think all is going pretty well.

I was glad to see my levels are okay. I've heard of people having lots of problems getting their levels worked out after surgery. Plus, I was a little nervous about switching to Levothyroxine after all the horror stories I've read.

I know it can be so difficult for some people to find which med works the best for them.
Old 12-16-2013, 11:06 AM   #4
Senior LCF member

Gallery: Leo41
Stats: 340 then/145 now
WOE: Low carb/calorie cycling
Jiggles-
I doubt that any of us with thyroid problems is ever "bouncing off the wall with energy." My info is that once the thyroid is compromised and we're essentially functioning on supplemental hormones, we will always have a slightly slower metabolism.

Since I have Hashi's and conversion problems that require me to take T3 (Cytomel), my only fear is the crushing fatigue that occurs when my T3 drops dramatically (and I need a dosage adjustment). Otherwise, I'm just pleased to be functioning.
Leo41 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 02:55 PM   #5

Gallery: inatic
Stats: 182+/126 5'4 51!yo 16/4 *5* kidlets later!
WOE: Coach:Erik Ledin leanbodies consulting
Start Date: LowER C since 2/02 wt training 10/15/02
Quote:
Originally Posted by jiggles View Post
I have been on Levothyroxine since my thyroidectomy 6 weeks ago. I had switched from Nature-Throid because my new Endo admitted she knows nothing about NT & asked if I’d be willing to try Synthroid. I agreed to try it only because I want to give her a chance. I have my follow up with her tomorrow so I had labs done this morning. Here are my results…

TSH .55 (0.4 - 5.00)
FT3 2.4 (1.7 – 3.7)
FT4 1.3 (0.7 – 1.5)

I did NOT take my med before the test. I feel okay. I don’t think I feel any different from before my surgery when I was on NT.

I don’t remember where in the ranges the FT3 & 4 should be. Do these numbers look about right?
Pam always had suggested testing having taking meds. I know there are many schools of thought on that. Not having taken any meds the T3 would be lower. So your levels could be ok maybe try testing both ways?

Sometimes we get used to feeling crappy so we dont realize we could feel better. Keep a good note of how you are feeling.

editting to add. just because your dr doesnt know anything about NT isnt a reason to not allow a patient to use it. Grrrrrrrrr
I'd switch lol.

Taking T4 only prior to testing wouldnt affect the results. You could ask for a bit of T3 and see if that does make a difference, that level is pretty low considering how 'high' your T4 is.

Last edited by inatic; 12-18-2013 at 03:02 PM..
inatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 02:07 PM   #6

Thanks Ileen. I will pay attention to how I'm feeling to see if T3 is needed down the road.
Old 01-13-2014, 01:32 PM   #7
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: tcayuela
New Labs....Getting Better!!! Question about low TSH

Hi Everyone,

It's been awhile since I've posted here as I've been working hard on getting my numbers improved. For the first time ever, my Free T3 has moved from the bottom of the range to where it is now! Yay! I'm curious what you all think about my numbers and am curious, is it dangerous for us to have low TSH? I know we don't generally worry about this number, but I've read that low TSH can be bad for our bones.

My current regime is T3 only (Armour and Levo never worked for me...no matter how high of a dose, my Free T3 never budged and I ended up with horrid Reverse T3 issues)....I take 87.5mcg of a slow release compounded T3 as well as, 15mcg of Cytomel morning and noon, with 10mcg of Cytomel at 5pm. I'm wondering if I should raise my 5pm dose to try and get my Free T3 into the top of the range. Overall, I feel great, like a new person!!!

TSH 0.01 (.4-4.5)
Free T3 3.4 (2.3-4.2)
Free T4 .4 (.8-1.8)

Thoughts and feedback are greatly appreciated!

Thanks so much!
Tammy
tcayuela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 01:35 PM   #8
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: tcayuela
So Sorry!

Sorry everyone! I didn't mean to post my post here...thought I was starting a new thread.
tcayuela is offline   Reply With Quote