Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-29-2013, 03:22 PM   #1
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Agee
WOE: Whole30
Start Date: 6/28/14
I need some assurance that eventually I'll feel better

I have Hashimotos (have for at least 3 years, probably longer) and after having really bad symptoms - exhaustion, achiness, stupidity, pain in hands) for a couple of months I finally got proactive and found a NP who specializes in thyroid and bioidentical hormones.
Within 5 minutes she said it didn't matter what my labs said, she'd treat.
She put me on 30 mcg Armour, split into 2 doses.
That was 2 weeks ago.
The first week I definitely felt a difference. Not a huge difference, but less stupid. I put a call into her office and asked when I could increase dosage, then I went ahead and did it to see what would happen - I only increased it slightly to 30 in the a.m. and 15 in the afternoon. I haven't heard back from her yet b/c of the holiday, but I'm hopeful she'll at least be okay me going up this tiny dose. I can feel a definite difference with this slight increase. Today, for the first time in probably 3 months I actually felt like doing something physical. I did a little gardening - maybe for an hour.
And now I'm tired. Very tired, unhappy, achy.
I guess I just need to know that eventually, when the dosage is right, I'll feel better.
It's possible, right?
Agee is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 11-29-2013, 03:32 PM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Erin57
Stats: 220/150/145 5'9"
WOE: Moderate Carb/IF
Start Date: April 2010
It does get better!!

Have you had your Vit. D and B-12 tested along with ferritin? Those things make a huge difference also. That, and really cleaning up your diet. Try to get rid of the processed junk if you aren't already doing so.
Erin57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 04:04 PM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Yes - I've had those tested. My D was low (it always is) and I changed my supplement so hopefully it'll improve next test, and my B-12 was actually high, but that's b/c I supplement. She suggested a good multi instead of the B-12 on its own, so I switched over.
My ferritin is fine.
I have been eating badly for me. Probably better than most of the population, but not super clean. I'll try to clean it up - I know that I've been eating more carbs than normal b/c I feel like I need the energy. Not that it works...
Thanks for replying.
A
Old 11-30-2013, 12:45 PM   #4
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: princessmommy
Stats: 207/176/140-145
WOE: Low Carb!
Start Date: May 21 Yet Again!
I'm so jealous you found a Dr who will treat your symptoms. I've yet to find one who will. My Last Dr just looked at me after my telling him I was exhausted, brain fog etc and told me my Levels were Fine and he could Not treat my symptoms! Needless to say he's No longer my Dr. I hope you feel better soon.
princessmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 03:42 PM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

I am lucky - but I also asked everyone I knew if they knew someone. I lucked out when I met a new acquaintance who had had thyroid cancer and who recommended this person. She's a nurse practitioner at a women's health clinic. The other 2 folks at the clinic are O.D.s
She is not listed on any of the top docs for thyroid sites. I'm thinking a way to find folks like this is to figure out who prescribes Armour and work backwards. Some of the websites suggest calling pharmacies to ask.
It definitely helps that I have Hashi's, though - I have both kinds of antibodies. So it's not like she had nothing to work with. But I feel like she would have helped me no matter what.
Good luck!
A
Old 12-01-2013, 03:28 AM   #6
Senior LCF member

Gallery: Leo41
Stats: 340 then/145 now
WOE: Low carb/calorie cycling
I have Hashi's--and I went undiagnosed for about 5 years because I listened to my PCP until my symptoms were so severe that I self-referred to an endo who immediately diagnosed and treated me.

The supplemental hormones we take usually take effect slowly (except for pure T3 like Cytomel), and most doctors re-check in 6-8 weeks because that's how long for the initial dosage to fully take effect. When I was initially treated, the improvements were so gradual that I didn't notice any effect for some time.

Please don't change your dosage without your doctor's advise and consent! Thyroid Rx are NOT meds--they are powerful hormones, and you can do real harm to yourself.
Leo41 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 10:22 AM   #7
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/150/145, 5'9", 41 y.o., Hypothyroid
WOE: Back to JUDDD!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo41 View Post
I have Hashi's--and I went undiagnosed for about 5 years because I listened to my PCP until my symptoms were so severe that I self-referred to an endo who immediately diagnosed and treated me.

The supplemental hormones we take usually take effect slowly (except for pure T3 like Cytomel), and most doctors re-check in 6-8 weeks because that's how long for the initial dosage to fully take effect. When I was initially treated, the improvements were so gradual that I didn't notice any effect for some time.

Please don't change your dosage without your doctor's advise and consent! Thyroid Rx are NOT meds--they are powerful hormones, and you can do real harm to yourself.
KeirasMom is offline   Reply With Quote