Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Thyroid (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/thyroid/)
-   -   I need some assurance that eventually I'll feel better (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/thyroid/817841-i-need-some-assurance-eventually-ill-feel-better.html)

Agee 11-29-2013 03:22 PM

I need some assurance that eventually I'll feel better

I have Hashimotos (have for at least 3 years, probably longer) and after having really bad symptoms - exhaustion, achiness, stupidity, pain in hands) for a couple of months I finally got proactive and found a NP who specializes in thyroid and bioidentical hormones.
Within 5 minutes she said it didn't matter what my labs said, she'd treat.
She put me on 30 mcg Armour, split into 2 doses.
That was 2 weeks ago.
The first week I definitely felt a difference. Not a huge difference, but less stupid. I put a call into her office and asked when I could increase dosage, then I went ahead and did it to see what would happen - I only increased it slightly to 30 in the a.m. and 15 in the afternoon. I haven't heard back from her yet b/c of the holiday, but I'm hopeful she'll at least be okay me going up this tiny dose. I can feel a definite difference with this slight increase. Today, for the first time in probably 3 months I actually felt like doing something physical. I did a little gardening - maybe for an hour.
And now I'm tired. Very tired, unhappy, achy.
I guess I just need to know that eventually, when the dosage is right, I'll feel better.
It's possible, right?:dunno:

Erin57 11-29-2013 03:32 PM

It does get better!!:console:

Have you had your Vit. D and B-12 tested along with ferritin? Those things make a huge difference also. That, and really cleaning up your diet. Try to get rid of the processed junk if you aren't already doing so.

Agee 11-29-2013 04:04 PM

Yes - I've had those tested. My D was low (it always is) and I changed my supplement so hopefully it'll improve next test, and my B-12 was actually high, but that's b/c I supplement. She suggested a good multi instead of the B-12 on its own, so I switched over.
My ferritin is fine.
I have been eating badly for me. Probably better than most of the population, but not super clean. I'll try to clean it up - I know that I've been eating more carbs than normal b/c I feel like I need the energy. Not that it works...
Thanks for replying.
A

princessmommy 11-30-2013 12:45 PM

I'm so jealous you found a Dr who will treat your symptoms. I've yet to find one who will. My Last Dr just looked at me after my telling him I was exhausted, brain fog etc and told me my Levels were Fine and he could Not treat my symptoms! Needless to say he's No longer my Dr. I hope you feel better soon.

Agee 11-30-2013 03:42 PM

I am lucky - but I also asked everyone I knew if they knew someone. I lucked out when I met a new acquaintance who had had thyroid cancer and who recommended this person. She's a nurse practitioner at a women's health clinic. The other 2 folks at the clinic are O.D.s
She is not listed on any of the top docs for thyroid sites. I'm thinking a way to find folks like this is to figure out who prescribes Armour and work backwards. Some of the websites suggest calling pharmacies to ask.
It definitely helps that I have Hashi's, though - I have both kinds of antibodies. So it's not like she had nothing to work with. But I feel like she would have helped me no matter what.
Good luck!
A

Leo41 12-01-2013 03:28 AM

I have Hashi's--and I went undiagnosed for about 5 years because I listened to my PCP until my symptoms were so severe that I self-referred to an endo who immediately diagnosed and treated me.

The supplemental hormones we take usually take effect slowly (except for pure T3 like Cytomel), and most doctors re-check in 6-8 weeks because that's how long for the initial dosage to fully take effect. When I was initially treated, the improvements were so gradual that I didn't notice any effect for some time.

Please don't change your dosage without your doctor's advise and consent! Thyroid Rx are NOT meds--they are powerful hormones, and you can do real harm to yourself.

KeirasMom 12-03-2013 10:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leo41 (Post 16701530)
I have Hashi's--and I went undiagnosed for about 5 years because I listened to my PCP until my symptoms were so severe that I self-referred to an endo who immediately diagnosed and treated me.

The supplemental hormones we take usually take effect slowly (except for pure T3 like Cytomel), and most doctors re-check in 6-8 weeks because that's how long for the initial dosage to fully take effect. When I was initially treated, the improvements were so gradual that I didn't notice any effect for some time.

Please don't change your dosage without your doctor's advise and consent! Thyroid Rx are NOT meds--they are powerful hormones, and you can do real harm to yourself.

:goodpost: