Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Health Support Groups > Thyroid
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-10-2013, 12:51 PM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Jody1958
Low T3 thyroid

I have no natural thyroid and have been taking synthroid .175 for years. Just had blood work done, my TSH and T4 were normal (.47 and 1.5) T3 was 1.9 I am looking for an endocrinologist who is open to dessicated thyroid and/or Cytomel. In the meanwhile, have any of you dealt with this?
Jody1958 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 11-13-2013, 12:18 AM   #2
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: watcher513
Many of us have. However, we don't know exactly what your results mean without the lab range next to each result. Different labs use different ranges so it's not a one-fits-all thing.
watcher513 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 01:53 PM   #3
Junior LCF Member

Here are my numbers with ranges

Quote:
Originally Posted by watcher513 View Post
Many of us have. However, we don't know exactly what your results mean without the lab range next to each result. Different labs use different ranges so it's not a one-fits-all thing.
T3= 1.9 (normal range 2.3 - 4.2)

T4= 1.5 (normal range 0.8 - 1.8)

TSH = 0.47 (normal range 0.4 - 0.5)

Here are my lab numbers. Does anyone have any advice on dealing with the low T3? I have no natural thyroid, I have been taking synthroid 175 for years. I have an appointment coming up with an endocrinologist, but I'm not sure whether he is in favor of using cytomel and/or dessicated thyroid, and that is what I want to try. I would also appreciate any tips on finding a doctor who is open to that. Thanks for any help you can offer.
Old 11-14-2013, 04:04 PM   #4
Senior LCF member

Gallery: Leo41
Stats: 340 then/145 now
WOE: Low carb/calorie cycling
My T3 was like yours about 3 years ago, and my endo started me on Cytomel. I've had to increase my dosage several times, but it has saved my life!

Your T3 is critical, as it really controls your thyroid function. If your doctor won't help, my only suggestion is to ask a local pharmacist (if you have a neighborhood pharmacy, not a big chain) WHO prescribes Cytomel.
Leo41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 04:38 AM   #5
Junior LCF Member

Appointment Dec 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo41 View Post
My T3 was like yours about 3 years ago, and my endo started me on Cytomel. I've had to increase my dosage several times, but it has saved my life!

Your T3 is critical, as it really controls your thyroid function. If your doctor won't help, my only suggestion is to ask a local pharmacist (if you have a neighborhood pharmacy, not a big chain) WHO prescribes Cytomel.
I was able to get an appt with an endo who has prescribed dessicated thyroid and cytomel. My appt is December 9. Some of the reviews of her practice specifically mention that she treated low T3 successfully. So I am looking forward to that.
Old 11-25-2013, 06:50 AM   #6
Senior LCF member

Gallery: Leo41
Stats: 340 then/145 now
WOE: Low carb/calorie cycling
That's great, Jody! I'm glad you've found someone who understands the T3 issue.
Leo41 is offline   Reply With Quote