LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-09-2013, 11:27 AM   #1
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: tomswife
Stats: 251/240/120
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: June 2008
underfunctioning thyroid

So my blood test came back and said I had underfunctioning thyroid. I've never had a problem with my thyroid before. What exactly does that mean?What are the symptums? She wants to put me on something called syntheic. Is there a diet that can control it better? I'm just always so cautious of doctors. And this one loves to drawn you in pills.
tomswife is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 11-09-2013, 01:08 PM   #2
Senior LCF member

Gallery: Leo41
Stats: 340 then/145 now
WOE: Low carb/calorie cycling
If you have 'low functioning' thyroid, it may mean hypothyroidism, and you should educate yourself about this condition, since it will be with you for the rest of your life.

I share your reluctance to take unnecessary meds, but there is NO support for low thyroid except to replace the hormones your thyroid is no longer producing with some Rx thyroid hormones as prescribed by a physician.

Keep in mind that the thyroid controls the body's daily functioning and sufficient thyroid hormones are essential for overall health and well being.

If you don't trust your current physician, you may want to find one that you can work because you need to be pro-active in your health care and work WITH your physician cooperatively.
Leo41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 03:28 PM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo41 View Post
If you have 'low functioning' thyroid, it may mean hypothyroidism, and you should educate yourself about this condition, since it will be with you for the rest of your life.

I share your reluctance to take unnecessary meds, but there is NO support for low thyroid except to replace the hormones your thyroid is no longer producing with some Rx thyroid hormones as prescribed by a physician.

Keep in mind that the thyroid controls the body's daily functioning and sufficient thyroid hormones are essential for overall health and well being.

If you don't trust your current physician, you may want to find one that you can work because you need to be pro-active in your health care and work WITH your physician cooperatively.
Thanks so much. I did read a bit about it and I don't have any symtoms that it said I should have. I was just a little surprised since I get my blood drawn at least once a year and it never showed up until now.
Old 11-09-2013, 04:42 PM   #4
Senior LCF member

If you aren't having any symptoms and you suspect that this doctor may be a 'pill pusher,' you may want to request a copy of the lab report and check the numbers yourself.

Keep in mind that low thyroid symptoms can be very 'vague' for some people. My own hypothyroid wasn't diagnosed until I experienced very extreme fatigue, but I later realized that I'd had various 'symptoms' for over 5 years.

My primary doctor kept telling me that all my symptoms were just 'normal aging'--and low thyroid often seems like that until the symptoms escalate.
Old 11-09-2013, 06:40 PM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

She did send me something. It said Thyroid 2:30 underfuctioning. I have no idea what that means. We live in a small town so doctor options are limited.

Last edited by tomswife; 11-09-2013 at 06:41 PM..
Old 11-10-2013, 03:53 AM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: LolaGetz
Stats: 135.5/128.5/128 5'9"
WOE: Lower carb/ More fat
Start Date: Sept. 2013
I don't know if seeing an endocrinologist might be a possibility for you in your small town but if it is, I would suggest doing that in order to address your concerns. I, like you, am extremely wary of taking medications and try to avoid doing so whenever possible. However I have had thyroid problems since childhood and totally agree with the other posters who said that if one has hypothyroidism taking the thyroid supplement is absolutely essential. If you are unable to see an endocrinologist but still have doubts perhaps you could request that your blood be re-tested. Mistakes are not unheard of. You should also try to discuss your concerns with your primary care doc. Explain you have no symptoms and have never had thyroid issues and perhaps your doc can give you a little more info.
LolaGetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 08:50 AM   #7
Senior LCF member

What your doctor sent is NOT the lab report. Please keep in mind that you have a right to copies of all lab work that's done, but a doctor will rarely share that without a specific request from the patient. You should consider always requesting copies of labs for yourself. The doctor MUST provide them--although some may charge a copying fee. None of my doctors have ever charged me.

If that '2.90' is the TSH level (which most doctors use) AND you have no symptoms, then you probably don't need replacement hormones--yet. The TSH level for considering hypothyroidism is 3.0 or higher. Many doctors will treat a patient with a TSH of 2.0 or higher IF the patient also has hypothyroid symptoms.

Again, if thyroid is going to be an issue for you, you need to learn about all this. There's info all over the Internet, but I suggest you limit yourself to medical sites like the Mayo Clinic or WebMD, as there's a lot of misinformation on the Internet as well.
Old 11-10-2013, 10:54 AM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

Thank you so much, guys. I'm going to make an appointment with my doctor on Tuesday. And thanks, Leo, for suggesting requesting the lab reports. I'll definately do that. What also made me suspicous is my husbands also came back as underfuctioning and he's never had thyroid issues before either. He started taking the meds before I thought about checking it out first.
Old 11-22-2013, 09:32 AM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Ronnie51
I don't recommend going on Synthroid based on one blood test. I've been on Synthroid for about 4 years now. A few months ago, one of my blood tests came back with my TSH a little high. My doctor said, "let's wait 4 weeks and retest before I increase your Synthroid." Sure enough, my next blood test and all subsequent tests have been in the normal range. So, if your doctor wants to put you on Synthroid, tell her you want to retest in a few weeks first, especially since you have no symptoms.
Ronnie51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 06:53 PM   #10
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: LVrooman
Personal education

I have had to self-educate a great deal. I'm in the middle of the fourth book on the Endocrine system. Two of the best are from Dr. Kharrazian;

New Book on Hypothyroidism and Hashimoto's by Datis Kharrazian, DHSc, DC, MS

Highly recommended. It's an excellent website as well. The dietary changes work, there is great detail about how things go wrong, what to look for and how to address them.
LVrooman is offline   Reply With Quote