Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Health Support Groups > Thyroid
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-08-2013, 09:16 AM   #1
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: jiggles
It's NOT cancer after all!

My Endo just called with my Pathology report from my TT and said I don't have cancer.

She said even though the FNA biopsy was positive it's possible that the Hashi's had my thyroid so inflamed it just looked like cancer. She said there was no way to know for sure without removing my thyroid to test it.

I'm in a bit of shock. That wasn't what I expected at all. I'm not really sure how I feel. Of course, I'm thrilled it's not really cancer but I'm a bit upset that I had to go through all this just to find out and now am second guessing all my choices.

I guess I just need to be happy that I won't have to go through all the cancer follow up and focus on healing and getting my thryroid levels balanced.
jiggles is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 11-08-2013, 09:29 AM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: DebM
WOW - Awesome!!!!! But I can feel your frustration with the process of finally finding that out through all that!!!
DebM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 10:14 AM   #3
Senior LCF member

Gallery: Leo41
Stats: 340 then/145 now
WOE: Low carb/calorie cycling
jiggles-

That's great news--but I share your frustration that you had to go through all this. The problem is definitely with whoever evaluated the FNA. However, I've read that thyroid diagnosis differs from almost every other organ because frequently the result is called 'inconclusive,' and there's an assumption of malignancy and surgery is scheduled. I wonder whether that happened to you.

It seems that a lot of surgeries based on the 'inconclusive' diagnosis result in a determination of benign--but just as many show malignancy. Personally, I'd rather be safe (tested via surgery) than have a malignancy missed.

As you have pointed out, those of us already hypothyroid are on Rx for life, so this doesn't change much in terms of treatment.
Leo41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 10:39 AM   #4

I guess I'm mostly surprised because the FNA said "consistent with papillary carcinoma" and not just "suspicious" or "inconclusive". The Endo seemed surprised with the final results also.

However, when I met with the ENT surgeon he actually said he wasn't completely sure it was cancer because with a 2 cm cancerous nodule he should be able to feel it (it should be hard as a rock) and he couldn't find it at all. But he said I still needed surgery to find out for sure at that point.

Someone on a thyroid cancer board commented to me that even though it seems like I went through this for nothing that it's probably best to get the inflamed thyroid out. I suppose she is right and I need to look on the bright side of things. With it being inflamed now, who knows what could have happened in the future.
Old 11-08-2013, 01:04 PM   #5
Senior LCF member

Yes, definitely look at the bright side, Jiggles!

I think of it this way--I would rather have a diagnosis of malignancy that turns out to be benign than a failure to identify a malignancy.

One of my friends (fortunately) is a breast cancer survivor--but she was initially diagnosed as Stage 4 despite annual mammograms. Her surgeon had another radiologist review her past tests, and the doctor reported that her malignancy was apparent to HIM for three years--yet she had never even been notified of anything even questionable on her films. It could have cost her her life!

On my last mammogram, I was called back for another look and was nervous. It all turned out OK, but I'd rather they questioned anything that looked suspicious rather than miss a malignancy!
Old 11-08-2013, 01:26 PM   #6

You make a good point, Leo. Better to have it turn out benign than to not have it discovered soon enough. That is scary about your friend. I'm glad she overcame that!
Old 11-08-2013, 01:34 PM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Rebecca1979
Stats: 286/239/199 (for now!)
WOE: 2208/442 (11/5/13)
Start Date: October 19, 2013
Thank Goodness!
Rebecca1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 01:55 PM   #8

Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/150/150
WOE: Whatever plan keeps me around 150 lbs!
You've been through so much with this scare, and I know how frustrating and scary it all must have been. Thank goodness it's not cancer though. It's great that you won't have to go through the additional treatments.
KeirasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 03:17 PM   #9
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: TN1969
Excellent news!
Congrats
TN1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 09:11 AM   #10
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mistizoom
Stats: 300/208/190 initial goal
WOE: low carb
Start Date: November 2012
Wow, what a shock! It's great it's not cancer but I am sorry for all you have had to go through to find that out!
Mistizoom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 01:26 PM   #11
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: kimw
Stats: 150/190/140
WOE: Protein Power
Start Date: 10/21/2013
Congratulations on good news!
kimw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 11:26 AM   #12

I had a follow up with my surgeon today. The incision seems to be healing okay but unfortunately they think I'm allergic to Neosporin. They told me to use that on my incision this past week. Well, it's all red with little bumps around it. I realized on Monday that maybe I was having an allergic reaction so I stopped using it. They told me not to put anything on it for now. Hopefully it clears up quickly.

The bad news is that he said it's going to take a while for my voice to recover but it will eventually recover. The vocal nerve on my left side was very thin and stuck to my thyroid so it was stretched when it was removed. He said it will heal from this though.

He said he wishes now that he had left that side in. It was the right side that had nodules and he had no problems with that nerve. He didn't want me to have to go through another surgery if the frozen section biopsy had been wrong though. I totally felt the same way! I was only having 1 surgery! Hindsight is always 20/20. There was no way to know that it wasn't going to be cancer. After all the reports I had read about the frozen section being wrong and extra surgeries needed, I don't know that I would've trusted the result either.

I guess I still think over all it's better to have the whole thing out. He said my thyroid was very sticky which meant it was really inflamed. Well, who knows what it could've turned into down the road. I just hope he's right about my voice returning.

I'm going back to work tomorrow. I have an office job so physically, I will be fine. Luckily, there isn't anything major going on right now so I shouldn't have to talk too much. I may have to see about having someone else answer my phone though. I know it will be hard for people to hear me especially if there's any background noise. I can do a lot of my correspondence by email so that will help.
Old 11-13-2013, 12:07 PM   #13
Senior LCF member

I hope you recover your voice quickly, Jiggles.

Having Hashi's, you're not worse off with the thyroid removed, as your body was slowly killing it anyway. And, as you point out, something could have developed later on, so if I needed surgery, I'd feel as you did--just take it all out now.

Speedy recovery!
Old 11-13-2013, 01:16 PM   #14

Thanks Leo! I hope it's speedy too.
Old 11-13-2013, 08:27 PM   #15
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Dirty Harriet
Stats: 425/179/198/190@ 5'7" (-227)
WOE: 40Gm carbs/day (total) + WLS
Start Date: 8/11/2005 lap band; maintaining since 7/4/08!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by jiggles View Post
My Endo just called with my Pathology report from my TT and said I don't have cancer.

She said even though the FNA biopsy was positive it's possible that the Hashi's had my thyroid so inflamed it just looked like cancer. She said there was no way to know for sure without removing my thyroid to test it.

I'm in a bit of shock. That wasn't what I expected at all. I'm not really sure how I feel. Of course, I'm thrilled it's not really cancer but I'm a bit upset that I had to go through all this just to find out and now am second guessing all my choices.

I guess I just need to be happy that I won't have to go through all the cancer follow up and focus on healing and getting my thryroid levels balanced.
Good to know Jiggles, and congrats on this not being cancer. However, please be diligent with your thyroid gland, as it can cause lots of health issues, some of which you've already lived through.
Dirty Harriet is offline   Reply With Quote