Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Health Support Groups > Thyroid
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-09-2013, 01:35 PM   #1
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: mork
Newly diagnosed...questions about diet..please

Hi, I have just been diagnosed with Hashimotos (hypothyroid and nodules) and am on Nature throid.
My question is diet- i have been reading a lot about going gluten, dairy and sugar free or the Autoimmune Paleo diet! This is so daunting of a task for me.

Any suggestions?? I agree with the gluten and sugar free but Why dairy??

Can that cause inflammation??

I am so overwhelmed that I am not doing anything right and my weight just keeps going up

Thanks
mork is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 10-09-2013, 03:44 PM   #2
Senior LCF member

Gallery: Leo41
Stats: 340 then/145 now
WOE: Low carb/calorie cycling
The internet is full of misinformation about thyroid issues.

I, too, have Hashimoto's, and I did an 'elimination diet' to see if I am sensitive to gluten. I had a reaction after no gluten for a month, so I now avoid it. Supposedly, most Hashi's people have a problem with gluten, but there's no absolute certainty. I actually did the elimination diet because I was having some gastro problems rather than because of my thyroid

I've never heard of any problem with thyroid and dairy--except that you should not have any calcium in foods within 2 hours of any thyroid Rx (and no calcium supplements within 4 hrs).

I know of no problem with sugar and thyroid. Personally, I avoid sugar, but that's for general health reasons and has nothing to do with my Hashi's.
Leo41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 01:42 PM   #3
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Mooncaat
Stats: 185/130
I was diagnosed with Hashimoto's more than 20 years ago. I have had issues with dairy all my life, so I try to avoid it. However, I started the Metabolism Miracle diet six days ago and am using Tillamook cheese as one of my snacks, and I'm having no issue with it at all. I think it's likely the food combining that is at issue, at least for me. The old Fit for Life diet talks about acid and alkaline and how the two should never meet in your stomach. So you eat proteins with veggies, and starches with veggies, but never proteins with starches. On the MM diet, I'm mainly eating proteins and a few veggies for eight weeks, with carbs for each meal under 5 grams. I've lost 6 lbs in 6 days! And I feel awesome, no more acid reflux at night, no more bloating, no more squeezing into professional clothes for work (they are just a bit looser already), and I think my fat cells are deflating!
Mooncaat is offline   Reply With Quote